Advertise
With Us 
ChronicPainSite.com Foundation, Inc Personal Homepage
Please, if you have not Donated lately we need your help.
Click here to find out how YOU can help
  Advertise
With Us 

FAQ FAQ   Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New FP Group.. LIFE WITH CHRONIC PAIN
How you can get more control of your health and life.
Click Here
To Our FB page      

Login
Register
---------
ChronicPainSite.com Foundation, Inc
RULES
Navigation
Main Page
Forum Home
About Us
Site Information
Our Advisors
Articles Home
Faces of Pain
Recipe Section
No Pain Pain Scale No Pain

FAQ
Member Control Panel
Login
Register
Walking Conversion Chart

DC's Stories

CP Man Stories

Donate

Jeff's thread of helpful gadgets

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jeff View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2014-2016

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jeff's thread of helpful gadgets
    Posted: Oct/21/2014 at 11:58pm
OK, I've posted many things I've bought and all of these I've personally used, so I'm creating a thread here for the benefit of others.  Note that any suggestions is not meant as a substitute for medical advice, and any comments I've written are from personal observations.  As always, read the manufacturer's instructions and follow those or as directed by your medical professional.

Also note there is nothing significant by the order in which they appear.  

Hope these help.

Jeff
Ankylosing spondylitis & osteoporosis -> compression fractures -> facet & ligamentum flavum hypertrophy-> stenosis -> spinal cord & nerve root compression -> cervical myelopathy & radiculopathy -> bruise & deformation of my spinal cord -> incomplete spinal cord injury -> postlaminectomy syndrome of cervical region. Cervical laminectomy & fusion decompressed my cord but I now have severe chronic pain. Pain meds = Oxycontin, Percocet, Lyrica, Soma, Cymbalta, Voltaren Gel, & Ketamine pain cream. 11 surgeries including 5 orthopedic & 1 neurosurgery.

Please donate to help Chronicpainsite.com continue to help others.
Jeff View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 12:01am
First will be my collection of cervical collars, which I continue to use, but to a gradually less and less degree, as my neck recovers and shoulders are able to carry the load all day (if that ever happens).

First, most rigid collar (Aspen Cervical Collar - this is a model, not me).

Notes:  This one comes in different sizes for the height of your neck.  You have to pick the right height.
Ankylosing spondylitis & osteoporosis -> compression fractures -> facet & ligamentum flavum hypertrophy-> stenosis -> spinal cord & nerve root compression -> cervical myelopathy & radiculopathy -> bruise & deformation of my spinal cord -> incomplete spinal cord injury -> postlaminectomy syndrome of cervical region. Cervical laminectomy & fusion decompressed my cord but I now have severe chronic pain. Pain meds = Oxycontin, Percocet, Lyrica, Soma, Cymbalta, Voltaren Gel, & Ketamine pain cream. 11 surgeries including 5 orthopedic & 1 neurosurgery.

Jeff View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 12:02am
This is another cervical hard collar, but is a bit less restrictive.

This is a "one size fits all" rigid brace.  The yellow know that you can see near the chest turns and extends the brace.  I prefer the other brace listed above to this one, but if you don't know what size you need, this is the better product.

Jeff View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 12:03am

Jeff View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 12:04am
This is the softest but least supportive collar.  I'll give you a link on where to get it since it isn't commonly available.

This isn't a classic "brace" but it is comfy and warm, so think of this more as a comfort measure, less of a brace.

Jeff View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 12:05am
This is one of my inflatable collars that provides some degree of traction.  It tends to lift my chin up more than the back of my skull, so it tilts my head backward a bit.

Jeff View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 12:05am
Another inflatable "Instapark Cervical traction Collar"

Jeff View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 12:07am
Great ice pack for sore necks.  You throw the whole thing in the freezer, and it comes out ready to go right on your neck, no sock or cover required.  It doesn't stay cold as long as the Chattanooga wrap below, but I prefer the convenience of the cover and the fact that you can make it stay put with the velcro.

Jeff View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 12:08am
Very cold but bulky ice pack.  It stays cold longer, but you need a towel or cover for it.

Jeff View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 12:09am
Best "goes anywhere" ice pack.  You can get these at CVS, Walmart, and Amazon.  The clay type stay cold longer than the fluid based packs.   All of my ice packs like this are now clay.  I use this on my arm, using a sprain wrap over the top to hold it in place.

Jeff View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 12:09am
Best heating pad I've found - goes to 160 degrees F and is well controlled.  The timer allows a maximum on time of 60 minutes, but given hot it gets, you don't want to fall asleep and wake up burned.  There are smaller sizes (this is 14" x 27") but for the money, the biggest size is the best deal.

Jeff View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 12:10am
My favorite microwave heat packs (good for necks).  Stays warm about 20 minutes.  i own 6 of them.

Jeff View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 12:10am
This comes in a pair of 2, and these are firm and good for filling in 1-2" gaps for your neck in the car.  It has a zipper in the back (which isn't seen in this photo) so you can thin it down by plucking out the stuffing if needed.

http://www.amazon.com/Cosmos-Leather-Pillow-cushion-Fastening/dp/B008VOH53C/ref=pd_ys_sf_s_rp_a1_3_p?ie=UTF8&refRID=046NWCGRY2RYKMRMEXFY

Jeff View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 12:11am
This one is more cushiony and plush and better for larger gaps (>2 inches).  They come in different colors.  I own four of these.

Jeff View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 12:11am
This is a shiatsu type massager that you can use in your car on a cigarette lighter plug, or using home power via a supplied AC power brick.  I laid on this for 30 minutes and didn't break it.  Also, this thing gets really hot so you have to watch it to not get burned (I prefer that over something that gets only mildly warm).

Jeff View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 12:12am
This is a very heavy duty shiatsu massage for home use.  It runs on home power.  I have to use pillows around it and tilt it a bit, as well as block it against something that doesn't move, but with a little tinkering, it can get deep into the neck muscles that the product above here can't get into very well.  But it isn't cheap.

Jeff View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 12:12am
A very good massage cushion I bought years ago when it was much cheaper.  You might look around at other places to buy it.  But it is a good product.

Jeff View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

My body wedge system that I bought for post-op sleeping in a recliner situation but now I use it every day to sit up for meals.  Love it.

Jeff View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 12:14am
Absolutely awesome chair massage chair that is one of my best buys ever.  It does generate some mild heat but doesn't get as hot as I'd like.  But the shiatsu part works wonderfully.  It does not reach the neck at all, so good  for lumbar and thoracic spine only, with a touch of the upper shoulders.

Jeff View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 12:15am
This is my neuromuscular stimulator I bought from Physical therapy back in the 2001 time frame.  I think there are more modern units that are cheaper, and don't require a prescription like mine did back in 2001.  But for completeness, here it is.  Stayodyn EMS-2 Neuromuscular Stimulator.

Jeff View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 12:15am
Good paper on electrical stimulation:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3375668/

Jeff View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 12:16am
This is my TENS.  It required a prescription at the time (2005) when I bought it.  I found it for almost nothing at this discontinued seller that I cannot vouch for.  I'm only showing it for completeness as I want to show all the tools in my pain tool kit (excluding pills).

Jeff View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 12:16am

Jeff View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Body Back Buddy.  Good for working on muscle spasms you can't reach otherwise.

Jeff View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 12:17am
Here is something new I am trying.  It is called Kinesio taping.  I'm trying it in both the advised and for new ideas I've had, but I'm undecided on continuing this forward.  I'll say it is controversial in the literature.

Jeff View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 12:19am
This is a good medical tape for non-elastic applications  I use it to strap on heat strips, TENS electrodes, and the kinesio tape.

Jeff View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 12:19am
This single use strips provide a fair amount of heat for up to 12 hours.  I carry them on airplanes and have used them on at least a dozen flights so TSA is fine with them.  Good on car trips too.

Jeff View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 12:20am
Here are two topicals I am using together on sore joints and muscle spasms, since I'm having trouble getting my Ketamine based compound approved by insurance:

Notes:

I find that the Voltaren Gel helps more than the Lidocaine.  The Voltaren seems to penetrate deeper, but you have to use it like medication.  It works best when you apply it regularly, versus only when you are hurting.

Bailey View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2013-2016

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 6:24am
Thanks for posting all these products Jeff.

Anything that can help reduce the pain or make activities less painful, is a real benefit to those with CP.
DDD C3-C6 with multiple osteophytes causing both moderate foraminal and canal stenosis and flattening and impinging on the spinal cord
Cervical Facet arthritis
Chronic Pain Syndrome
Bluegill View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluegill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 10:10am
Interesting to browse through these products.

I'll add my endorsement to ice packs.  Such a simple, cheap, and effective (at least for a few minutes) device.  Mine has velcro and wraps around my knees easily.
In head-on car crash in 2006. Smashed kneecaps, broken hip, head injury,and other fractures. Daily knee pain (just a 2 or 3 or 4 on a scale from 1-10, so I feel like a wimp). Can't jog, walk long distances or stand for a long period of time. Surgery to remove bone growth on pelvis (2017). Ongoing hip pain, possibly trochanteric bursitis.
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 10:30am
Great thread, Jeff-----

Good job, good products, and I'm going to see if any of these companies would like to advertise on our site!!!  Thank you so much, Stevie

My journey with chronic pain began over 30 years ago, while as a young nurse working spinal rehab, I injured my back lifting a patient. I am now fused from L2-S1. I have multiple thoracic and cervical issues. I'm a retired RN/PA and I know and understand the frustrations on both ends of the treatment spectrum of dealing with CP. It's been my goal since 2008, when we started this site, to reach out and help as many people in pain as possible. We will continue the fight as long as we can. Please, if you can help us continue to help you and others, donate. Thank you.
Merlin View Drop Down
Prior Member
Prior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2014 at 6:14am
Oh wow Jeff - thanks for your research -

I love that blue back scratching thing - I like to get pressure into my shoulders - but seeing as both of them have had their best days I haven't been able to reach around and get into the pressure points that I can still massage on other people

I hear "Ah - aw - ow - or - sheesh - don't stop - I love it"

Just tried - I can't reach either side - my sub-scapularis muscles need the blue back scratcher

And do you have some of these things already -
Jeff View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2014 at 11:18pm
I own everything I've listed and have used everything I've listed.  

If anyone has any questions or wants to know about a specific item, post here and send me a PM to bring me to this thread, since I don't check it every day.

Merlin View Drop Down
Prior Member
Prior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2014 at 12:10am
Jeff - I am truly amazed - I have two degrees and started Post Grad studies and I love research - so although I don't get to read it all - I have to admire you diligence to inform yourself

And you have purchased and used all of the equipment to help yourself

You have not left a stone unturned - you have gone above and beyond to find relief
Hazy-Daisy View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2016

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hazy-Daisy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2016 at 9:44am
Great thread. As I'm scrolling, I'm going, yeah, yup, exactly...

I have the clay pack, the full back massager for chair, an incredible heating pad with 2 hour safety/off switch ( I sit on it for about 3 hours a day), and while you have neck things for your car, one of the best things I bought for a road trip was a $20 heated seat for back and bottom. It's the Amazon version, simple fix, and has been heaven. In my new car, I have heated seats, so we keep that on the passenger side of my husband's car. 

I've been going through something for 6 years and have bought so many things, desperate for help/solutions. I feel like I won the lottery when something helps!  
 Post Reply Post Reply