Advertise
With Us 
ChronicPainSite.com Foundation, Inc Personal Homepage
Please, if you have not Donated lately we need your help.
Click here to find out how YOU can help
  Advertise
With Us 

FAQ FAQ   Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New FP Group.. LIFE WITH CHRONIC PAIN
How you can get more control of your health and life.
Click Here
To Our FB page      

Login
Register
---------
ChronicPainSite.com Foundation, Inc
RULES
Navigation
Main Page
Forum Home
About Us
Site Information
Our Advisors
Articles Home
Faces of Pain
Recipe Section
No Pain Pain Scale No Pain

FAQ
Member Control Panel
Login
Register
Walking Conversion Chart

DC's Stories

CP Man Stories

Donate

Day Light Therapy Lamp

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bluegill View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluegill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Day Light Therapy Lamp
    Posted: Sep/22/2015 at 8:46pm
I finally ordered mine.  It took me 3 years to finally do it.  I got a pretty good price on amazon.  Oh yeah, I'm supposed to click on something now....
In head-on car crash in 2006. Smashed kneecaps, broken hip, head injury,and other fractures. Daily knee pain (just a 2 or 3 or 4 on a scale from 1-10, so I feel like a wimp). Can't jog, walk long distances or stand for a long period of time. Surgery to remove bone growth on pelvis (2017). Ongoing hip pain, possibly trochanteric bursitis.
Tas View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2013-2016

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2015 at 10:20pm
Don't forget to plug it in before you click on.

Ken

Please donate to help Chronicpainsite.com continue to help others.

L1/2 Mild bilateral facet astropathy. L2/3 same as L1/2. L3/4 ditto. L4/5 Disc bulge indenting anterior thecal sac. Bilateral facet astropathy. Mild canal and left foraminal stenosis. L5/S1 Severe disc narrowing with extensive osteophytes. Broad based disc osteophyte protusion indenting anterior thecal sac and resulting in a right foraminal stenosis. Exiting L5 nerves intact. Osteophytic contact with descending right S1 nerve root. Conclusion_ Severe degenerative disc changes L5/S1 with disc-osteophyte protusion. Moderate disc bulge L4/L5 Moderate central spinal stenosis with obileration of the epidural fat and distortion of the thecal sac. L5/1 Decreased disc height and signal. Super Ventricular Tachacardia. (SVT) Type 2 Diabetes, Arthritis knees and hips.
Bailey View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2015 at 5:20am
Blue,
I hope you find it helpful. I'll start using mine again tomorrow, thanks for the reminders :)

DDD C3-C6 with multiple osteophytes causing both moderate foraminal and canal stenosis and flattening and impinging on the spinal cord
Cervical Facet arthritis
Chronic Pain Syndrome
Bluegill View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluegill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2015 at 8:59pm
I was supposed to click on Amazon Smile BEFORE I bought it!

Oh well...
In head-on car crash in 2006. Smashed kneecaps, broken hip, head injury,and other fractures. Daily knee pain (just a 2 or 3 or 4 on a scale from 1-10, so I feel like a wimp). Can't jog, walk long distances or stand for a long period of time. Surgery to remove bone growth on pelvis (2017). Ongoing hip pain, possibly trochanteric bursitis.
Rocken Roni View Drop Down
Charter - Member
Charter - Member
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocken Roni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2015 at 3:39am
What all does this Therapy Light do or is it for light in the winter time? 

Until one has felt the Love of an animal,
a part of their Soul remains Unawakened.

Unknown

1st injured Feb, 1997. Was told it was "Soft Tissue" and sent back to work - no X-rays
Late 1997 attended 1st Rehab Program to strengthen back. Mid 98 PCP took me off work. Tried going back to work over the next couple years, mostly off work due to pain.
June 2000, met with OS for first time. Did MRI , damage was L5-S1 totally blown out. Surgery done Jan, 2001.
Another Rehab program late 2001, attempted to go back to work early 2002. Slipped on water, fell flat on back screw fusion broke.
Went to 3rd Rehab program summer 2002.
Oct 2003 - 2nd Surgery, due to broken screw, had to operate from the front.
No improvement. Attended 4th Rehab program in 2004, at time It was decided NO work.
March 2006, had 3rd Surgery, this time fusion and instrumentation from Si to L3.
June 2008 Surgeon finally admitted I had Failed Back Surgery.
August 2009 WCB Finally put me on Long Term Disability
Bailey View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2015 at 4:06am
Mine is a SAD lamp for the winter blues.
DDD C3-C6 with multiple osteophytes causing both moderate foraminal and canal stenosis and flattening and impinging on the spinal cord
Cervical Facet arthritis
Chronic Pain Syndrome
Charter - Member
Charter - Member
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocken Roni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2015 at 4:38am
Awww, I get it. John got an extra window in our bedroom as I have my computer and stuff in my room. So we've got 4 windows in here and it really helps with getting the sunshine in here and also my bird needs sun also. So we soak up the sun together.
Thanks Bailey.

Unknown

1st injured Feb, 1997. Was told it was "Soft Tissue" and sent back to work - no X-rays
Late 1997 attended 1st Rehab Program to strengthen back. Mid 98 PCP took me off work. Tried going back to work over the next couple years, mostly off work due to pain.
June 2000, met with OS for first time. Did MRI , damage was L5-S1 totally blown out. Surgery done Jan, 2001.
Another Rehab program late 2001, attempted to go back to work early 2002. Slipped on water, fell flat on back screw fusion broke.
No improvement. Attended 4th Rehab program in 2004, at time It was decided NO work.
March 2006, had 3rd Surgery, this time fusion and instrumentation from Si to L3.
Bluegill View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluegill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2015 at 10:30am
My Day-Light has arrived!  I set it up this morning and it sure is pretty.

I'll probably wait a few days before experimenting with it, since I'm getting over a cold and since this week we have perfect sunny weather forcasted.
Merlin View Drop Down
Prior Member
Prior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2015 at 6:55pm
That's good Blue

No harm in using it at night though - you can maybe help your cold to take a hike - it can only help
Hangingon View Drop Down
Prior Member
Prior Member
I Donated to CPS 2015

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hangingon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2015 at 1:10pm
I think if you use it at night it would prevent sleep. It mimics sunlight not everyone can sleep with bright sunshine.
Charter - Member
Charter - Member
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocken Roni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2015 at 4:10pm
Yes, I don't think I would use it at night. Like you say it would prevent sleep.
I would like to know how it is working for you and Bailey.

is it possible to tan????? Or am I thinking of something altogether????
Any way..... let us know how the light works for yous.
Roni

Unknown

Merlin View Drop Down
Prior Member
Prior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2015 at 4:34pm
Sorry girls - I did not make myself clear

I meant to use the lamp in the evening - in the winter here it gets dark by 5.30pm and there would be plenty of time to use the lamp before bed time

Actually I sleep with the bed lamp on often - it's too much of a commitment to turn the light off - if I turn over and do that I find I wake myself up too much - I guess I am used to reading until I fall asleep -

But except in winter it's not a good idea to sleep in the sunlight - my bed is in the sunlight on beautiful days except in winter - and it's lovely to lie on the bed in the sun - but not to sleep - it can cause a deep sleep and it is easy to become dehydrated

About tanning Ronnie - I don't know if the day-light box does that - but it would be worth checking that out - here we have people who go to parlours where they have tanning beds and using these can cause skin cancer - I would be concerned about that
Hangingon View Drop Down
Prior Member
Prior Member
I Donated to CPS 2015

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hangingon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2015 at 6:59pm
No these lights do not tan. The ones for vit d and tanning cost $100's of dollars. I wish there was a inexpensive kind the cheapest I found so far is $259.00 then there's shipping too.
Merlin View Drop Down
Prior Member
Prior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2015 at 7:27pm
That is more than I would want to pay Elizabeth - I guess people will pay anything if they think it will help
It's the world of advertising and then - supply and demand. If the Ad-men can create a need in people then there will be a demand for a product - and for some reason some people thing everything worth anything is expensive - which is not always the case - and then - do we know if they are really useful or not

In your case I guess if you could get into the sun for your Vit D it might be easier for your body to absorb - but that is something you would have to check with the doctor you see about that - you still need to process it internally

What a pain - it sounds so good to have a Vit D producing product like the sun - but then

In Australia the skin-cancer problem is serious. We live under the hole in the ozone layer - and tanning looks good - but the advertising here now is that tanning is not healthy and I get a tan with very little exposure but rarely go out in the midday sun. It's too hot for me in summer anyway and I am not anxious to get melanoma -

So after all that I wish I could be more helpful - it might be safer to tan further north of the equator than I am south of it - I think it could be - and I can't help with the vit d problem you have

I'm so sorry about that - it would be great to walk around on a sunny day without consequences and be healthy about it - but not so here

But are you able to get a daylight box - it sounds as if it would help people with the winter blues. I hate winter - I get really down sometimes - last winter here was the pits with gloomy days

And if you do - I hope it helps and I wish you all the best with it

Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2015 at 10:17pm
Recent reports show that even people who live in very sunny climates with up to 360 days of sunlight a year and who don't even use sun screen are Vit D deficient. One theory is that the foods we are eating such as low fat dairy aren't able to assimilate the Vitamin the way it was years ago when we all ate full fat foods. That's one theory and I'm sure there are more.
SAD lights aren't meant to tan. They are meant to replenish the natural sunlight which helps boost serotonin levels.

They shouldn't be used at night as that will interfere with Melatonin production which is necessary for sleep. I would use the light as early in the day as possible, get Vit D levels checked with a simple blood test, and get natural tanning just doing errands without sunscreen when weather is warm. Sunscreen is important for anyone outside for extended periods of time but is very important for all of us in small doses. Everything in moderation.

My journey with chronic pain began over 30 years ago, while as a young nurse working spinal rehab, I injured my back lifting a patient. I am now fused from L2-S1. I have multiple thoracic and cervical issues. I'm a retired RN/PA and I know and understand the frustrations on both ends of the treatment spectrum of dealing with CP. It's been my goal since 2008, when we started this site, to reach out and help as many people in pain as possible. We will continue the fight as long as we can. Please, if you can help us continue to help you and others, donate. Thank you.
Merlin View Drop Down
Prior Member
Prior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2015 at 10:33pm
Stevie - that is interesting that low fat dairy could be one of the problems with vit D absorption. I don't like low-fat dairy - (can't stand meat fat) - so I eat regular cheese and drink full cream milk -

I had my blood tested - my new GP wants all his patients to have blood tests - and everything is okay - but he suggested I take Vit D and calcium anyway - and I do feel better - I have to say. I want to look after my bones in particular
Bluegill View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluegill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2015 at 8:44pm
So I had my first Day-Light therapy session this morning.  I was going to wait until I was over my cold, but the cold refuses to go away.  I think I have a sinus infection again which causes "asthma-like symptoms" (my doctors have never said I have asthma; just "asthma-like symptoms." Sort of like my arthritis pain, though I don't have arthritis.  But I digress...)

I sat at my desk and read for about 20 minutes early this morning.  The light isn't too annoying, but it is a bit bright.  I try never to look into it, but I feel like my forehead and the top of my head might get sunburned.  I wonder if it will regrow hair...

I suppose it will take a month or so to see if it does any good.  I can't imagine following a therapy routine for a month.  It's not so much that I lose interest in potential remedies, but I simply can't remember them.  It seems I was trying turmeric for awhile, but then I forgot.  Somewhere in the kitchen is a bag of turmeric powder.

I guess I'll wait to try the SAM-e pills later on.  One experiment at a time.

Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2015 at 9:13pm
Blue----

I think the light, with everything we have in our bag of tricks to combat CP is a matter of getting into a routine. For me, it's a schedule. Mon, Wed, and Fri I'm up and at the pool at 6:30. Like it or not. Tues, Thurs and Sat I walk. Outside weather permitting and treadmill if not.

If I don't adhere to the bloody schedule I have an increase in pain. If I needed the lamp (which BTW is a really good therapy treatment option for all of us, and one I should also look into), I would need to put it into my "schedule" and adhere to it as faithfully as I do the walking and the swimming.

The turmeric ----- I use it in my rice for stir fries,and I throw some into my morning fruit smoothies along with some cinnamon. I keep a small jar on the counter top and add it to almost everything. I also take my Vitamin D3 and sub lingual B12 faithfully. Is all of this helping ? I don't know. I do know it isn't hurting and at the very ripe old age of 68 and after 4 back surgeries, I'm not without pain.   But I would hate to think where I'd be without all of the above. So, I keep doing it. Love it? Hell no. But the alternatives? Ugh.

So, I may order the lamp when the budget allows and add it to the Arsenal of weapons against this monster called Chronic Pain.

My journey with chronic pain began over 30 years ago, while as a young nurse working spinal rehab, I injured my back lifting a patient. I am now fused from L2-S1. I have multiple thoracic and cervical issues. I'm a retired RN/PA and I know and understand the frustrations on both ends of the treatment spectrum of dealing with CP. It's been my goal since 2008, when we started this site, to reach out and help as many people in pain as possible. We will continue the fight as long as we can. Please, if you can help us continue to help you and others, donate. Thank you.
Bailey View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2015 at 4:42am
Hey Blue,

I've been using a Daylight for a couple winters. Last year I used it regularly, first thing every morning. I found it helped, but it isn't a one shot thing.
I use it for 20-40 min, while I'm having my tea and reading. I place it behind me, so it's shining over my shoulder. I don't feel like I'm following a therapy routine, I just changed my reading light and take my time enjoying my first caffeine of the day.

Cervical Facet arthritis
Chronic Pain Syndrome
Bluegill View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluegill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2015 at 6:49am
I've just finished my 4th session with the Day Light.

First of all, the price: $124.99 at Amazon.  Remember, start at "Amazon Smile" first if you decide to order one.

It takes a while to work, they say.  Yesterday I found out how true that is.  I had done my session, then I went to work.  It was a very cloudy and drizzly morning, and I felt very down as I drove the bus.  In the afternoon the clouds broke up and the sun poked through, and I immediately felt some relief.  So, the Day LIght isn't working yet.

In my case I think this SAD has come on gradually over the years.  I don't remember having it when I was young.  I know now I could never live in Seattle or Scotland.

Remembering the routine isn't too hard so far.  I like to read anyway, so this gives me an excuse to start every day reading for about half an hour.  And, I forget to take herbs because they are small and my wife is always moving my things ("putting things away") and my memory is so poor I can't remember what herb regimen I'm on, so I stop doing it.  But, the lamp is always sitting right on top of my desk, so I can't miss it.  It is attractive, too.

So, that's my update.  If nothing else, I have an interesting lamp on my desk and I start the day reading. 

Oh, and I have a cup of coffee, too, so that really confounds the experiment by adding another variable.
tkay View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2015 at 12:21pm
I find the thread timely.

My therapist mentioned me getting a lamp or bulbs to use that are full spectrum. I was wondering if any of the hardware stores might sell them as I would like to walk in and get them.

Bluegill View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluegill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2015 at 6:50pm
I couldn't find any stores in my city that sold them.  I hesitated ordering one online, sight unseen, but that's what I had to do.

Good luck
Merlin View Drop Down
Prior Member
Prior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2015 at 7:31pm
Hi Blue - don't you hate it when people put stuff away so you forget about them - I am so glad I live by myself - but now I am searching for something that I put in a safe place - I should have nailed it to the wall!!!Wacko

Perhaps you could leave your herbs on your desk - you won't forget them then - and tell your wife that is their place and they live there and ask her to please not move them - I have my herbs actually growing around here and no one puts them away -  
My herbs are important for me - so I know they are important for you - and see if your wife understands this - sometimes we just don't get what our family understands - I know this from my past - I know now I didn't understand my ex - but then - that is water over the waterfall now

I'm glad you got your daylight lamp - I might get one next winter if yours works for you - I guess it would take time - I am finding that taking vit D with calcium, and glucosamine with krill, and probiotics helping - but it's also spring here in Beautiful Bayside Mordialloc - and the coming of spring made my life better after a gloomy winter.

I can't stand the thought of winter right now - so I am glad it's spring - but we have already had bushfires - and this is the bad thing we have in South Eastern Australia

Also - I don't like buying things sight unseen either - I prefer to see what I am buying - btw - how big is the daylight lamp?
tkay View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2015 at 1:14pm
I went to amazon to check out the different lamps and bulbs.
I noticed that there was a lamp listed that looked very much like the lamp I have sitting in my sewing room that came from my dad's house.

As much as I have hated on his hoarding...I found a jewel amongst all the mess...the lamp I brought from his house.
Bluegill View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluegill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2015 at 8:08pm
All lamps are good.  Especially if they facilitate the reading of excellent books.

Supposedly, a light therapy lamp is more than just an ordinary lamp.  I don't know how much of that claim is scientific and how much is just marketing. 

At any rate, I like my new "Day-Light" lamp.  I'm reading a book on plant propagation every morning by it.
sara1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sara1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2015 at 12:41pm
I have a Verilux that I ordered directly from their site a few years ago. I love my happy lamp. It gives more light than any I have in my apt. It doesn't tan just supposed to be 20-30 minutes a day or more can help cheer you up if you suffer from seasonal affective sadness  or whatever it's called. 

I also purchased one but it is not as effective and is not meant to be a healing SAD lamp is Ottlight but it has good reading light.
I hope you enjoy your day light lamp Blugirl. Sara
DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing Neck-reverse Lordosis of c-spine C6-C7 with impingement, numb hand and sore outer elbow. Bursitis to both knees. RN
Bailey View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2015 at 5:42am
Great to see you Sara Smile

I feel the same way about my SAD lamp, it makes the room so bright I feel better almost right away. I don't follow any sort of specific regimen except to try and use it every morning. I have it behind me, shining over my shoulder and I turn it on when I sit down with my first cup of tea in the morning.

I leave it on while I read and wake up,  30-90 min, and I really do feel it helps me deal with the winter blues. The room I spend most of my time in has an 8' bay window, 2 24" windows and double glass patio doors, it gets a huge amount of natural light.

But in the winter, there are lots of days that never get brighter than the dimmest lightbulb, even in this window filled room. Turning on the SAD light makes it feel light the sun has come out for awhile, crazy as that sounds.

Nothing helps everybody, but this is one of countless gadgets I've tried and along with a good heating pad it's near the top of my list of helpful tools, specially for a Canadian winter.
Cervical Facet arthritis
Chronic Pain Syndrome
Kris View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2015 at 8:20pm
I typically use mine for about 15-20 minutes in the morning. Even on weekends I don't ever use it after 10am as it will affect my sleep cycle.

Best wishes all!
Severe kyphoscoliosis, vertebrae fracture, spinal degeneration and reduced bone density throughout my body, doctor suspects fibromyalgia, unexplained spontaneous muscle strains/tear, poor alignment of my femur to tibia - 3 surgery attempts to fix - still frequent subluxation and periodic dislocation of knee along with cysts and an inoperable meniscus tear in that knee. Knee osteoarthritis - hip osteoarthritis suspected to be caused by my missing half of a vertebrae and other congenital abnormalities affecting my gait. (Other little misc. problems, but I think that hits the summary)
Merlin View Drop Down
Prior Member
Prior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2015 at 8:46pm
I am definitely getting one of these next winter - it sounds fantastic

SAD is something I seem to have had most of my life. Thinking back to my early childhood after the Second World War it is no wonder. We had what were called "The General Strikes" and the lights were turned off after 9.00am and not back on again until at least 4.00pm.

And it was cold - there were all sorts of shortages. There was insufficient fuel and there would only be one room in the house that was warm - and that was the lounge where there was an open fire. And there were food shortages - I remember my mother using a ration book -

Most people my age will remember this time of austerity - of course houses were not insulated. I just remember that winters were cold and dark - but things did improve as I got older.

I still hate winter and SAD - and gloomy days - I don't get much sun in here during the winter - even if it's sunny - and I tend to pull the blinds down and turn the light on and it doesn't feel as horrible.

One of these daylight lamps sounds really great - even if only used for a short time each day - and what ever builds serotonin works for me.
Bluegill View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluegill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2015 at 8:21am
One month into my Day Light lamp therapy.  I am happy to report that I actually use it almost every morning.  I like reading anyway, so setting aside 30 minutes to read in front of the lamp has been easy.

Is it working?  Well, it's hard to say.  For any successful scientific experiment, you have to control the variables.  And there are two significant variables lately that may be interfering.  Last year I was unemployed and with no prospects.  This year I have a job I like.  Last year was cold and rainy.  Lately it's been unseasonably warm and sunny (it hasn't even frozen yet, so I'm still harvesting tomatoes).
Charter - Member
Charter - Member
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocken Roni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2015 at 3:28pm
Blue,

Wow!! Your still harvesting tomatoes! I'm hoping for a green house to extend my growing season.

I'm glad the light is working for you in the morning while you read. Hopefully it will bring you through the winter feeling good.

Unknown

pete81241 View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2013/14/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pete81241 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2015 at 9:04pm
the light sounds like a good tool. i'm into the real sun and usually spend a few hours each day in the natural sun. but if we get a winter like the last record breaker i'll pick one up as insurance against the winter blues...pal pete
parkinsons disease.men1 genetic disorder. endocrine tumors in pituitary gland and pancreas. carpel tunnel syndrome. spinal stenosis.sleep apnea.vast knowledge of crutches and wheelchairs.borderline diabetic.gerd. both hips replaced. spinal stimulator. 7 spine surgeries/fusions. pain pump trial.Thrombocytopenia. no spleen.
Bailey View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2015 at 2:35am
My light is on as I type. I use mine in the same way, every morning I sit and have my tea and read with the light on.

It's a very helpful tool for me.
Cervical Facet arthritis
Chronic Pain Syndrome
Bluegill View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluegill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2015 at 8:01am
I'm in a rut, and the lamp doesn't seem to help.

I use the lamp in the morning, as directed, but mornings aren't my problem: it's the nights.

I get off work at 7 p.m., and it's dark and cold.  So, instead of going to the gym, I go home.  I eat too much, check my email, flip through TV stations, and then go to bed anywhere from 7:30 to 9 p.m.  No pool, no exercise (other than bicycling to work).

When the sun goes down, I'm a goner.

Maybe I should work nights instead of days.
Bailey View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2015 at 8:17am
I' m in bed by 8 most nights Blue. Mornings have always been my best time and even more so with CP.

But I try and do everything I need to during my good time. I don't even try to stay up anymore, I'd still be up hours before dawn and just feel exhausted.

Is there anyway for you to do some of the things you want before work?
Cervical Facet arthritis
Chronic Pain Syndrome
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2015 at 9:46am
I am also an early morning person.  Up before dawn, at the pool on the mornings I swim around 6:30am, get other errands and cooking, etc done early in the day.  By late afternoon I'm done.  I'm in bed at night right after the National News----so by 7PM that's it.  I read or watch a video and go to sleep-----what sleep I DO actually get as even turning over wakes me from pain.  Makes for a very dull life, but we do what we can do and don't worry about the rest!!!

Bluegill View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluegill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2015 at 8:14pm
I just surprised myself by going to the gym after work!  I hadn't been there in a week and a half.  It feels good to exercise, even if it doesn't take the pain away.

So maybe I shouldn't feel bad about going to bed at 8 p.m.  I do get up about 5:30 every morning, and I've been sleeping well lately.

I'm worried about going to the gym before work, because I might exercise or swim too much and then get tired when I'm driving.

Actually, the only thing I need here to stop getting this SAD is for the sun to set about 3 hours later.  That would fix it.
tkay View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2015 at 12:10pm
I have been going to bed earlier. I wonder if this is good? I do get up at 8:00am.

I don't exercise but keep active by walking around during appointments I have with my client I work with during the week.

I agree with you on the sun setting later, I wish it would here in Michigan, yesterday it was dark at 5pm!
Bluegill View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluegill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2016 at 8:05am
My Day Light Therapy Lamp has become a real fixture on my desktop.

ha ha

I don't mean that metaphorically; the lamp sits on the top of my desk.

The problem is you're supposed to use it in the mornings, and not at night.  But I need it at night.  At 5:00 it gets dark, it's cold outside, and the walls of dread close in on me (OK, those walls are metaphoric).  Twice now this week there were interesting events in the evening I wanted to go to, but I just can't find the energy to leave home after dark.

I think I need a new strategy.  Next time there's an event at 7:00 p.m., I need to leave the house at 4:00 and go to some coffee shop.  That way I'll already be out of the house when it gets dark.

Do you think that will work?  It's either that or strap the Day Light lamp to the top of my head and use a long extension cord.
tkay View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2016 at 9:13am
I would try going out at 4pm and see how that goes.
Maybe getting out before it gets dark WILL help.
I bet you will find that it was not as bad as you thought it might.
I had times where getting up the morning was a tough one because of SAD. I put myself in a routine, it helps, along with using the light.

One advantage for me is sitting in the room with the most sun light I can get. I know not all of us can do that. I also have a daylight lamp and use it. It does help.

I can't think of the name of lights I see at Michael's Arts and Crafts or JoAnn fabrics, but they stock lights that are battery operated. Food for thought. No long extension cord needed. These stores do have them on sale quite frequently(they don't sell replacement bulbs however).
 Post Reply Post Reply