ChronicPainSite.com Foundation, Inc Personal Homepage

FAQ FAQ   Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Effective September 1, the ChronicPainSite.com will be closing it's doors.
We've had a good 10 year run and have helped many people.
We will keep the info up for reference and to help people who stop by, but no posting will be possible.

Return old stinky Fentanyl patches to pharmacy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sara1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sara1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Return old stinky Fentanyl patches to pharmacy
    Posted: Nov/09/2016 at 4:08pm
New policy in Ontario for Fentanyl patches. I have to bring back every single one of my old patches that I've worn for 3 days back to the pharmacy so it's for 3 months so I better have 30 patches in the bag. 

I said I didn't feel comfortable keeping them in the house with pets and it's a real pain. I stick them on the new patch package it comes in. I tried to stick them on paper but they fall off. 

Next time the Pharmacist should give me the special paper from the Health Dept. but still have to keep it in a plastic bag.

It's because people abuse their patches. I could still inject it if I wanted to and return the empty patch the same way. But because people demanded something be done for the people who died from fentanyl overdoses they came up with this idea. I don't think it will work because they're getting illegal fentanyl from China or somewhere and has nothing to do but blame the real chronic pain people. I said if you want to handle my patches that I wear on my skin for 3 days ok. I don't think it will stop overdoses from drugs.
DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left leg and foot. all lumbar discs now herniated one central herniation with exiting nerve contact.Facet joint Hypertrophy RFA for pain relief
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2016 at 9:59pm
Sara----

I'm speechless. They have nothing better to do?

What will we hear next?

Please donate to help Chronicpainsite.com continue to help others.

My journey with chronic pain began over 30 years ago, while as a young nurse working spinal rehab, I injured my back lifting a patient. I am now fused from L2-S1. I have multiple thoracic and cervical issues. I'm a retired RN/PA and I know and understand the frustrations on both ends of the treatment spectrum of dealing with CP. It's been my goal since 2008, when we started this site, to reach out and help as many people in pain as possible. We will continue the fight as long as we can. Please, if you can help us continue to help you and others, donate. Thank you.
nene View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote nene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2016 at 9:34pm
Lol. That sounds nasty. I am sure you have good personal hygiene but just think of those that don't. I feel kinda sorry for the pharmacist that has to handle them. At least you don't have to find a disposal method that could keep them out of an abusers hands. I am sure there is probably some active medication in used patches. Not sure how much but with enough patches there be enough for a high or overdose even.
DDD, spinal stenosis, buldging/herniated disks,nerve compression, CAD, diabetes,etc
Nene
sara1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sara1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2016 at 11:45pm
yes perhaps a plastic see through disposable box that somehow counts the patches when put in or something...

I may be clean but that patch doesn't move for 3 days eww. LOL
DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left leg and foot. all lumbar discs now herniated one central herniation with exiting nerve contact.Facet joint Hypertrophy RFA for pain relief
Quaver View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2013-2017

Post Options Post Options   Quote Quaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2016 at 1:02pm
Well I hope the UK don't get that idea! I always fold mine in half so it sticks together and put it in the sachet from the new one. Then I put it in our general rubbish. I cover each patch with a Tegaderm dressing. It's like cling film and very sticky. Tegaderm keep the patch firmly in place and are completely waterproof. 
PLEASE DONATE TO CHRONIC PAIN SITE! SO THAT WE CAN CONTINUE TO HELP CHRONIC PAIN SUFFERERS

CPS SUPPORT BRITISH & UK RESIDENT
Severe chronic pain in lower back. Lumbar Spinal Stenosis, Scoliosis, DDD. Hypermobility in ankles caused most problems. Bilateral trochanteric bursitis Osteoarthritis in spine, wrists and hands. Golfer's Elbow. L4-L5 L5-S1 spinal fusion plus cage support and titanium spacers April 2008. Nov 2010, accident in shower caused compression fracture of L2. Missed by A&E. Functional lumbar spine stenosis from herniated disc at L3/L4 July 2015 XLIF discectomy plus XL-TDR very successful! Miraculous improvement in mobility! Hashimoto's syndrome, Depression, High Blood pressure, Fibromyalgia, Raynaud's Syndrome.
Edie View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014

Post Options Post Options   Quote Edie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2016 at 1:42am
Wow! this is Terrible. I wouldn't want to keep those used patches around the house for a month, and then take them back. It is too dangerous. It sounds pretty gross to me. Sorry Sara. What will they come up with next...Edie
Chronic pain throughout the spine caused by osteoarthritis (DDD). Started at neck, spread to thoracic, and lately to lumbar area. Most of my spine is affected by bulges, disc height loss and dehydration, bone spurs, annular tears, foraminal stenosis, probable nerve impingement, and degeneration at end plates and facets.

The disease extends from Cervical C2-3 to C7-T1. Thoracic T4 to T10.
Lumbar T12-L1 to L5-S1.
It is all non operable.

Other conditions
TKR R Knee.
Torn ACL, MCL L knee,
Pain on legs and calves
Deep vein thrombosis
Migraine headaches
Painful spots all over scalp
COPD
Hypertension
Chronic Hyperventilation. Caused by anxiety or stress
Chronic depression and insomnia
sara1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sara1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2016 at 2:44pm
for 3 months I have to keep them in a plastic bag in my wardrobe sealed out of reach of pets. I can hardly wait to see the Pharmacist count them...

Its ridiculous because many of the people who died of overdoses of fentanyl came from China and is black market made up not even legit Pharmacies in Canada. Health Canada something wrong with their thinking for sure...
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2016 at 10:41pm
Sara---

What happens if these old patches aren't returned? And are they really counted?

Still sounds like a true waste of time on both the end of patient and pharmacy???

My journey with chronic pain began over 30 years ago, while as a young nurse working spinal rehab, I injured my back lifting a patient. I am now fused from L2-S1. I have multiple thoracic and cervical issues. I'm a retired RN/PA and I know and understand the frustrations on both ends of the treatment spectrum of dealing with CP. It's been my goal since 2008, when we started this site, to reach out and help as many people in pain as possible. We will continue the fight as long as we can. Please, if you can help us continue to help you and others, donate. Thank you.
sara1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sara1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2016 at 3:58am
they  count them and they don't give new prescription until all patches delivered save one that you wear. 
 Can you imagine if I got my purse stolen on the way to pharmacy how to explain that to Pharmacy. I would be cut off for sure. They just want to make sure you don't sell your patches or abuse them or chew them up or something I guess..
Todd View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2015/16

Post Options Post Options   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2017 at 4:49pm
2 comments
1: long story but funny you should mention pets. My 4yr old dachshund that USED to be able to jump on bed somehow opened the drawer to my nightstand where I Stowed my used patches specifically so there would be no fear of garbage digging, and got a used patch out. Dropped it on the floor for lack of interest. My baby 1yr old found it and of course chewed and resulted in a 95 mph 6 mi run to hospital for vent and nolaxone. My driving, cpr, and trying to find a place I'd never been before did not make a good combination. She lived.

2: patches do contain a LOT of unused med. A 100 mcg patch depending on mfg contains 10mg of fent. Designed to last 72 hrs. Do the math and there is / are 2.8 mg of med suspended in transdermal material. Enough to do a lot of damage to a non-tolerant person much less a pet.
It's a possibility!
Just ask me
Just out of (Dec21) surgery for instrumented L5 lamenectomy/fusion to S1, decompress L234, clean up stenosis in several areas, remove bone spurs, harvest bone for fusion and screw it all together lol
Chronic inflamation of SI joint, stenosis, L5 Spurs, degenerative disc 4,5.1. Several other disk issues, Bi-Lateral Total Hip repl.for idiopathic necrosis, degenerative disc in all cervical joints, fractured C7 (unhealed), Rebuilt lower right tib/fib/coxic/ancle/foot from trauma, Idiopathic systemic/autoimmune issue causing inflammation in various joints and eyes. RA neg HLA B27 neg, Sed rate high and C-Reactive high
Major anxiety and depression / Bi-Polar disorder (maybe,I disagree). When fractured C7 lived in a halo for 6 mos. no fun at all
dawnehelene59 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote dawnehelene59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2017 at 4:19am
What a demeaning, disgusting way of "controlling" Fentanyl abuse!,  I've used this medication-in patch form for years, and at times have had them "disappear" while swimming in the Gulf of Mexico, ( much to the delight of a few stoned dolphins, I'm sure...lol) and would be furious if questioned about "my count" by the "drug police."
I find it outrageous that we who are legitimate, intractable pain patients find ourselves "punished" and given the third degree for the behavior of junkies.
I'm so sorry you have to endure this ridiculous humiliation, but want to add that your concern regarding the safety of yours pets is commendable.
Take care and remember-this idiotic "crack down" won't last forever.
dawn

Jeff View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014-2018

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2017 at 6:49pm
I keep all my narcotic locked up in a safe like you see in hotel rooms.  I think I paid $99 on Amazon for it, but you can get them cheaper.  If someone really wants in they can break in.  I could spend $400 and buy a gun safe and keep them in there if I wanted to ensure that even a burglar couldn't get them, but I mostly want to know that I am the only one with access.  I mainly did it to guard against myself because I can't wake up half asleep and take an extra pain pill because I'd never be able to get past the combination lock, but it also ensures that visitors and my kid's firiends can't get into my meds.  Just a thought.

Jeff
Ankylosing spondylitis resulting in fusion of entire cervical, thoracic, lumbar, and SI joints, osteoporosis, 5 compression fractures, severe stenosis of spinal cord & nerve root compression, cervical myelopathy, radiculopathy, bruise & permanent deformation of spinal cord, incomplete spinal cord injury, postlaminectomy syndrome of cervical region, chronic nerve and orthopedic severe pain, and bilateral carpal tunnel. Asthma, GERD, high blood pressure, high tryglycrides, diverticulosis, recurrent pneumonia, anemia, hypertension, chronic dry eye and mouth. Need hip & knee replacement and fusion of both feet. Already had 11 surgeries including 5 orthopedic & 1 neurosurgery.

sara1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sara1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2017 at 7:07pm
The Pharmacist gave me a folder and it holds 20 patches so its more secure and they're glued right on there. I don't care I'm used to it now. I was told that another patient refused to bring back the old ones so she must have been selling or abusing them, so I'm not taking it personal anymore. Its like in the USA they do drug urine tests to make sure you're taking the drugs given to you, same thing kind of.

I'll be glad to get my nerves burned soon beginning of March. well not glad because it hurts but glad for the long term numbness it gives. Then I'm going for breast reduction surgery mid March. I'm nervous about that surgery recuperating on my own. Hard to lift my arms I hear for 2 weeks. I may get the PSW for a couple of hours for bathing, still have to get a shower chair. Lots to do so sorry if I'm not around so much. I'm discouraged about having to pay $2880. above Health Insurance for the surgery but the Dr does extra work. I was blessed to get a loan at 6% rather than the health surgery insurance it costs 8.5%. I only have to pay $50. a month back to the bank minimum. I'm really broke especially had to buy this notebook since my laptop broke or burnt out. 

I think I may have to get meals on wheels. I wish they would just deliver fish and vegetarian meals but its whatever you get daily so I have to order frozen dinners by the week. So lots to get done. I wish I would have done this surgery when I was younger but no I worked and didn't want to take any days off for the surgery so I wrecked my back and now I'm older and its harder.  Take care and glad to hear no one was hurt with your patch Todd. Sara
Bailey View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2013-2018

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2017 at 6:25am
Hi Sara,

Great to see you . As always, I wish it was under better circumstances. Glad the pharmacy has made it a little easier to return the old patches. I personally think it's a good way to ensure safe disposal of a very strong and potentially deadly medication. Keeps the bad guys from getting them and any critters that get into garbage.

I hope you have long lasting relief from the upcoming rfa. And minimal bruising, I remember some pictures owww. Definitely not a fun procedure but it's great how much they help.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery on your reduction surgery. I'd be really nervous too Sara. I think you're smart to arrange all the help you can in advance. Recovering from anything when you live alone is scary, and difficult to manage.

Fingers crossed for much less pain in your future.
DDD C3-C6 with multiple osteophytes causing both moderate foraminal and canal stenosis and flattening and impinging on the spinal cord
Cervical Facet arthritis
Chronic Pain Syndrome
Todd View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2015/16

Post Options Post Options   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2017 at 10:36pm
Yeah, the urine drug test they give us......... They use a very expensive cup at the Dr's office first that detects the drug's presence and any others.  Then they are mandated by law (supposedly) to send it to a lab for further screening and serum level analysis.  This is all good by me except one thing.... They charge hundreds of dollars for this seemingly wasteful test that save for the serum level, tells them what they already know.  My insurance usually pays but every other time I get a bill for 3-4 hundred bucks from the lab company.  more headaches.
I actually weened off two months ago which was very difficult taking only 30mg ER morphine.  I decided you can't be on something forever so I guess I'll be getting used to suffering again.
Good luck to you!!!!
It's a possibility!
Just ask me
Just out of (Dec21) surgery for instrumented L5 lamenectomy/fusion to S1, decompress L234, clean up stenosis in several areas, remove bone spurs, harvest bone for fusion and screw it all together lol
Chronic inflamation of SI joint, stenosis, L5 Spurs, degenerative disc 4,5.1. Several other disk issues, Bi-Lateral Total Hip repl.for idiopathic necrosis, degenerative disc in all cervical joints, fractured C7 (unhealed), Rebuilt lower right tib/fib/coxic/ancle/foot from trauma, Idiopathic systemic/autoimmune issue causing inflammation in various joints and eyes. RA neg HLA B27 neg, Sed rate high and C-Reactive high
Major anxiety and depression / Bi-Polar disorder (maybe,I disagree). When fractured C7 lived in a halo for 6 mos. no fun at all
sara1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sara1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2017 at 2:13am
thanks Bailey. Nice to see you again. Todd thats good you're on something but cant imagine going from a hundred patch to ms contin 30. I used to take ms contin 30mg 4x a day then was switched to oxyxontin 20 4x a day then was changed to fentanyl. i wish I could get off Fentanyl to ms contin or only as needed meds but really the Drs. like the slow release meds I know I can't talk to my pain Dr. when he does my Nerve burn as he's busy OR day another time though. Thanks
n2braves View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote n2braves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2017 at 1:11am
I actually just heard about this the other day.  While I understand the premise behind the action, it doesn't make sense to me in some ways.  I mean there's a danger in just keeping the unused patches around waiting to give them to the pharmacy.  And the Fentanyl which is killing addicts right now, you are correct is in the heroin coming from China.  Nothing at all to do with the Fentanyl you are getting at the pharmacy.

I get it that they are just trying to to something about the problem.  I saw an article the other day where the author was likening this whole war on drugs to the FDA, DEA and such as playing a game of Whack-a-mole.  As different moles pop up, they whack them hoping that if they whack enough of them, they will eventually hit the right one.  Kinda funny I thought.
Cindy

Denny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Denny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2017 at 7:10pm
That don't stick to my skin.
Too many dogs and cats around to risk that.

We're all jumping through hoops for da man.
 Post Reply Post Reply