Advertise
With Us 
ChronicPainSite.com Foundation, Inc Personal Homepage
Please, if you have not Donated lately we need your help.
Click here to find out how YOU can help
  Advertise
With Us 

FAQ FAQ   Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New FP Group.. LIFE WITH CHRONIC PAIN
How you can get more control of your health and life.
Click Here
To Our FB page      

Login
Register
---------
ChronicPainSite.com Foundation, Inc
RULES
Navigation
Main Page
Forum Home
About Us
Site Information
Our Advisors
Articles Home
Faces of Pain
Recipe Section
No Pain Pain Scale No Pain

FAQ
Member Control Panel
Login
Register
Walking Conversion Chart

DC's Stories

CP Man Stories

Donate

Chronic Pubic Symphysis Pain

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ciarra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ciarra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chronic Pubic Symphysis Pain
    Posted: Nov/28/2016 at 9:53pm
Hello All!

My name is Ciarra Jones and I am embarking on a somewhat recent journey of chronic pain. 

I was injured during physical therapy in October of 2014 when the therapist did a pubic adjustment to aid my quadricep strain (I was a track athlete). The results were immediately painful and I had multiple MRIs and blood tests done in January of 2015. 

I have not sued for the injury, but will eventually, it is a lot of trauma to sue over something that has altered my life and I am just not there in my journey.

My MRIs were clean, and I was diagnosed with pelvic instability. I made a great recovery during the summer of May 2015, but was injured again while moving myself in (no one really told me the limits of my recovery so I didn't know to avoid heavy lifting). I recovered from the May reinjury well and went back to physical therapy march of 2016 (I also talked to the head of my school's PT about the incident in October of 2014 and filed a report during this time). The march 2016 PT did not go well as the physical therapist was simply not well-versed in my issue. I left a little worse off than when I came in, but I could still walk and went to Spain this last summer (July of 2016). 

Unfortunately, recently my mom was doing some remodeling in the house, at this point I knew to avoid heavy lifting, but my mom simply needed help moving something pretty light. I bent down to pick it up and pain shot down my pubic bone immediately. 

I live in California, but I flew out to see my dad in Texas who is a doctor (general surgeon) and got an MRI. A radiologist read it and says he saw nothing, which seems highly unlikely. I recently obtained the MRI disc and I am going to have my doctors in California read it (I live in Berkeley but my doctors in Sacramento where my mom is). My doctors in California are also doing a cortisone shot this month and have scheduled for PT, but I have been avoiding the PT until I get a diagnosed so as to avoid being hurt like before (I am also simply traumatized). If the cortisone shot does not work my ortho said he will contact surgeons that do pubic bone fusion surgery as this kind of injury is not his expertise. He said in my previous MRIs he has noticed an increasing shift in the view of my pelvis indicating some kind of "pubalgia" but still undiagnosed.

I also recently moved out of the house after graduating college in August. I am afraid that soon I will no longer be able to live on my own as I can't walk too far, lift anything over a pound, or sneeze without extreme pain.

I feel so much shame, depression, and guilt. I feel like it is my fault that I am in this situation and wish I could go back in time and change everything. I am so hopelessly depressed and in pain and just hope for a miracle soon. 

My family and friends don't get it and I don't blame them! I wouldn't wish this on anyone in the world. 

Hoping to see the light soon,

Ciarra 
Injured in physical therapy (pubic adjustment)-Oct. 2014
Diagnosed with Pelvic Instability- Jan. 2015
Reinjury in May 2015 (moving myself in to my college dorm room)
Onset of Chronic Pelvic Pain (undiagnosed) in September 2016 after helping my mom move some things around the house.
Bailey View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2013-2016

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2016 at 3:23am
Hi Ciarra,

Welcome to CPS. While I'm glad you found us and know you'll get lots of support here, I'm very sorry you have need of us.

First up, please don't blame yourself. You were injured by someone supposed to be helping you and you are still dealing with that injury. We do understandl the chronic pain, but unless someone has lived with constant pain, it's impossible to understand. Like trying to explain colour to someone who is colour blind. Unfortunately pain and depression tend to be very good friends.

We have an expert with a similar condition, Kate03. She recently finished university and underwent pubic fusion surgery. She has had many ups and downs dealing with her condition, osteitis pubis, but we are all so hopeful once this recovery is over, that she'll be off making the world a better place for all of us.

She is a wonderful person and I feel sure she'll offer what tips she's learned in dealing with this awful condition. She is also the most knowledgeable person around here when it comes to the pubic symphysis joint and may be able to offer you some suggestions for your doctor's.

Her's has been a real roller coaster ride and Kate is currently recovering in hospital after confirming post surgical drainage is not an infection. Here is a link to some of her posts, http://chronicpainsite.com/mb/search_results_posts.asp?SearchID=20161129053744&KW=

I'll also send her a pm, private message, and let her know you've joined the site and are looking for answers. I can't imagine dealing with such horrible pain in such a tender place. I've told Kate that at least I can rub and hold my neck when it's hurting badly, not so much when you're in public and suddenly get excruciating pain in your crotch.

Again, welcome here Ciarra. I hope you can get the treatment needed to get back to living a full life. I hope we can help.

Bailey

DDD C3-C6 with multiple osteophytes causing both moderate foraminal and canal stenosis and flattening and impinging on the spinal cord
Cervical Facet arthritis
Chronic Pain Syndrome
Ciarra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ciarra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2016 at 12:19pm
Thanks Bailey!

I think my biggest worry right now is that I simply can't live on my own and should move back home. I am contemplating that life decision right now. It is just frustrating because I barely moved out of my mom's house a month ago and now I am feeling that the pain may send me straight back. 

I actually saw Kate's forum when I was doing some research and I was just like "FINALLY" confirmation that this is NOT a normal injury. I called my doc today to schedule a cortisone shot, but he was unavailable until February which is always a nightmare. The pain is pretty bad today so I am deciding whether or not I should go to the ER after work. Unhappy

Maybe someone here has some advice when deciding whether or not to leave a job? I really love living on my own, I just worry it may not be sustainable for the time being. But my job has fun health benefits and my mom can not afford my healthcare. I just don't know what to do! 

Onset of Chronic Pelvic Pain (undiagnosed) in September 2016 after helping my mom move some things around the house.
Ciarra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ciarra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2016 at 12:20pm
Full health benefits**
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2016 at 9:21pm
Hi Ciarra-----

I'm only pitching in here in regards to your decision to move home for a time. Would being at home lessen other responsibilities that you now face and allow you to keep a job that offers you full health benefits? Is it possible to keep the benefits and work fewer hours?

If I remember correctly, Kate has had to return home at times and I'm very glad you've seen her thread and know about all she's been through. She's definitely an inspiration to many young people like yourself who has never given up---something that's so easy to say and so hard to do. But, you seem determined to take the bull by the horns and fight this with all you have.

I feel that you are on the right track medically speaking and are going to find, with help from your father and the surgeon you've seen to find the right person to help you.

I do want you to know that all of us here really get the intense frustration of living with nonstop, CP, and not having friends and family "get it". There are many times that the pain itself takes second place to the pain we face emotionally from those closest to us who can't understand.

But, we do. And we are here to listen and support you. I'm very glad you've found us and I hope that you'll be getting the help you need and deserve very soon. But, to make your quality of life the best possible, right now, make a list of the pros and cons of moving back with your mother for now----knowing that it's only temporary IF it's what's in your best interest.

Please donate to help Chronicpainsite.com continue to help others.

My journey with chronic pain began over 30 years ago, while as a young nurse working spinal rehab, I injured my back lifting a patient. I am now fused from L2-S1. I have multiple thoracic and cervical issues. I'm a retired RN/PA and I know and understand the frustrations on both ends of the treatment spectrum of dealing with CP. It's been my goal since 2008, when we started this site, to reach out and help as many people in pain as possible. We will continue the fight as long as we can. Please, if you can help us continue to help you and others, donate. Thank you.
Ciarra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ciarra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2016 at 12:02am
Thanks Bailey and Stevie!

I talked to my bosses today and they said they will do anything they can to help me which has helped me relax. I know my anxiety was causing the pain to flare up as well so its great to have one less thing to worry about.

My next move is to find a doctor in the Bay Area that may be able to help me and I am hoping to find one very soon.

As you said, I will weigh the pros and cons in order to make the right decision for myself. I know the answers are out there. If Kate and you all didn't give up then I wont either!

Thank you for the support and I will update you all as I know more about my condition!

Ciarra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ciarra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2017 at 5:55pm
Hello All and Happy New Year!!

I wanted to take the time to update you on my condition! I sent my MRI to my doctor and he said it is looking pretty good and that my diagnosis is Osteitis Pubis (which still sucks).

I am scheduled for a cortisone shot but some OP sufferers have advised PRP or Prolo therapy instead. I have heard that cortizone could be risky. 

Have any of you heard of these treatments? And recommendations?

As of now I am just a bit nervous because to get to work I walk a mile there and back and I am worried about being able to make it, but I will find out tomorrow. 

Sending you all positive thoughts!

Warmly,
CJ`

Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2017 at 9:40pm
I wouldn't be too concerned about a single cortisone shot, and it may well provide some temporary relief of pain as well as diagnostic information also. The problem with steroid injections occurs when given too often which carries a huge amount of possible long term side effects.

The other options you mentioned are in fairly new phases of study so to speak and carry both good and not so great issues as well. It would be great to be able to know what option is best for you, but most likely this is going to be trial and error as it is for many of us fighting with CP of many kinds.

Best wishes to you with whatever you choose and please do keep us informed!!

Please donate to help Chronicpainsite.com continue to help others.

My journey with chronic pain began over 30 years ago, while as a young nurse working spinal rehab, I injured my back lifting a patient. I am now fused from L2-S1. I have multiple thoracic and cervical issues. I'm a retired RN/PA and I know and understand the frustrations on both ends of the treatment spectrum of dealing with CP. It's been my goal since 2008, when we started this site, to reach out and help as many people in pain as possible. We will continue the fight as long as we can. Please, if you can help us continue to help you and others, donate. Thank you.
 Post Reply Post Reply