Advertise
With Us 
ChronicPainSite.com Foundation, Inc Personal Homepage
Please, if you have not Donated lately we need your help.
Click here to find out how YOU can help
  Advertise
With Us 

FAQ FAQ   Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New FP Group.. LIFE WITH CHRONIC PAIN
How you can get more control of your health and life.
Click Here
To Our FB page      

Login
Register
---------
ChronicPainSite.com Foundation, Inc
RULES
Navigation
Main Page
Forum Home
About Us
Site Information
Our Advisors
Articles Home
Faces of Pain
Recipe Section
No Pain Pain Scale No Pain

FAQ
Member Control Panel
Login
Register
Walking Conversion Chart

DC's Stories

CP Man Stories

Donate

Injury in addition to my primary diagnosis

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tkay View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2013-2016

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Injury in addition to my primary diagnosis
    Posted: Jul/20/2017 at 4:19pm
I have been struggling this last year with injuries.

I broke my ankle last fall. The break did heal and I have no pain from it.

I have an issue with the left foot, I have a bone spur and a piece of bone in the outside of my foot. I am having difficulties with the area being inflamed and painful. The last time I went to the foot doctor I had an injection of cortisone. I know, I know, cortisone can be hurtful. The injection took place after my wearing a boot and walking with a cane for 8 weeks!

Mid June I tweaked my right knee. Since then, I have been in #10 pain and at times unable to walk. I am presently using Vicodin, twice a day. I noticed that about around 1:30 pm that the #10 pain would come back. I took Motrin to get through to bedtime.I'm not sure if that was a good choice. I was out of town, I probably should have called my doctor. It helped a bit.

I noticed the extreme pain while riding in the back seat of various cars(we were traveling for 8 days).

I told my husband I sure understand why a person would use more of this medication, when it works it does, but it wearing off is terrible!

I have not been able to do much.
It was terrible being in California in so much pain. I so wanted to be able to enjoy the whole time and not have to divide myself between the pain and the fun.

I have been resting as much as I am able and going to bed earlier hoping this would help me heal. I did this at the very beginning of the injury. It did help a bit but I would get up to use the bathroom or walk to the kitchen I would get into pain again.

I have been working so hard to keep from getting flared up.
My foot doctor was concerned I would and his partner was reluctant to do any surgery if I needed it because I might flare up. I told him when I had my toe surgeries and hysterectomy I did not flare up.

Anyway, My life had been going good except for these hiccups. I am stiff and my giddy up is gone.
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2017 at 8:53am
Tammie---

Sorry I just saw this. I hate sounding like a broken record but I'd seriously consider getting your medical marijuana license. There's a fabulous CBD cream with NO psychoactive effects that I know for a fact truly helps many orthopedic problems----someone I know who needs a new knee swears by it.

There are also so many other ways to use the medication to supplement the medication you are taking when it's wearing off. MMJ is actually being studied and used to help people truly addicted to opioids get off without horrible side effects. I can tell you that I've never slept better than now by using THC gummy bears that help so much with intractable back pain that keeps me awake despite medication.

Please donate to help Chronicpainsite.com continue to help others.

My journey with chronic pain began over 30 years ago, while as a young nurse working spinal rehab, I injured my back lifting a patient. I am now fused from L2-S1. I have multiple thoracic and cervical issues. I'm a retired RN/PA and I know and understand the frustrations on both ends of the treatment spectrum of dealing with CP. It's been my goal since 2008, when we started this site, to reach out and help as many people in pain as possible. We will continue the fight as long as we can. Please, if you can help us continue to help you and others, donate. Thank you.
tkay View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2017 at 12:09pm
I do have a cream with opioid in it. I can use it 3-4 times a day and it does work.

I have been feeling down because of this new injury as it seems it did not take much for it to have happened. Today I cried while a friend listened and that helped a lot. I don't like feeling weepy, and it takes a lot for me to get to this point.

Bailey View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2017 at 1:04pm
Sending hugs Tammie, hope your mind and body start feeling better.
DDD C3-C6 with multiple osteophytes causing both moderate foraminal and canal stenosis and flattening and impinging on the spinal cord
Cervical Facet arthritis
Chronic Pain Syndrome
sara1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sara1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2017 at 11:06am
Hi Tammie, Hope you're feeling better. I had my knees injected with steroids and had to use ice on my knees all the time for unbearable pain. I had cellulitis bad and had to take lasix this all after a fall. 
You need to see a Physiatrist if there's one close to you who can inject the knees. Your Family Dr. shoud've done ultrasounds.
My husband had knee surgery and he still gets pain. If you can get to physio maybe it will help.

You're such a loving person after working at a foundation and always giving to others here before. I'm saying prayers you will feel better. One day at a time. Take care Sara
DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing Neck-reverse Lordosis of c-spine C6-C7 with impingement, numb hand and sore outer elbow. Bursitis to both knees. RN
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2017 at 4:39pm
Tammie---

It's so disheartening to wind up with yet another problem on top of everything else. You are a loving and generous and giving person who did not deserve or need this.

Please keep us posted on how you're doing. You did so well with the toe joint replacement. Have you thought more about further surgery for this newest foot problem? I know how many of us are just finished with any more surgery, but sometimes it is the last resort and it may relieve the foot pain. I'm not surprised that you hurt your knee--trying to walk with severe foot pain is enough to cause damage to knees and hips and back.

(((Tammie)))

My journey with chronic pain began over 30 years ago, while as a young nurse working spinal rehab, I injured my back lifting a patient. I am now fused from L2-S1. I have multiple thoracic and cervical issues. I'm a retired RN/PA and I know and understand the frustrations on both ends of the treatment spectrum of dealing with CP. It's been my goal since 2008, when we started this site, to reach out and help as many people in pain as possible. We will continue the fight as long as we can. Please, if you can help us continue to help you and others, donate. Thank you.
tkay View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2017 at 12:29pm
Hi Ladies.
I would say my right knee is the worst pain. I can put my foot that is hurting in a very expensive tennis shoe and I am good. I notice the foot problem when I don't wear the expensive shoes.

I appreciate your support so much. I thought by this time in my life I would be just dealing with the Fibromyalgia pain.

I so love to sew and do things around the house. I loved being able to babysit earlier this year, it was the highlight of my week back then. I haven't done much sewing.

I can see that this knee if it goes on too long I will need to make lists and have hubby do the grocery shopping. I went to get the very few things and came out regretting it. I have to call my son to see if he can go do an errand after work for me that I forgot to do.

I have a orthopedic doctor appointment tomorrow afternoon. I am hoping we don't have to go through too many hoops.

I have tried resting the joint by not using it and resting on the sofa. As long as I do that I am in very little pain.

Sitting is no good for me emotionally/mentally. I am suppose to find something this week that is fun. I bought a puzzle book over the weekend. I have books to read too. I can also watch Netflix.

tkay View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2017 at 12:30pm
I forgot to mention, I did have an mri and it showed I have a medial meniscus tear. sigh.
tkay View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2017 at 3:15pm
HI everyone.

I have seen the orthopedist on Wednesday of this week. I will be going to have meniscus surgery on August 10. I do not anticipate any problems.
The doctor is confident he can help me get the meniscus healed. He said nothing is 100% and I understand that!

I will be relieved when the surgery is over. I will be having PT also.

I have to see my own doctor for pre-surgery tests. I am glad I don't live far from his office or the hospital so I can get things done.
Bailey View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2017 at 3:30am
Good luck Tammie. I hope this gets rid of one problem for you.
DDD C3-C6 with multiple osteophytes causing both moderate foraminal and canal stenosis and flattening and impinging on the spinal cord
Cervical Facet arthritis
Chronic Pain Syndrome
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2017 at 9:37am
Tammie---

This is such successful surgery and I bet you will be so glad to have it over with so you can get on with your life. We will be looking forward to hearing how you are doing once it's over with!!!

sara1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sara1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2017 at 6:23pm
Great news to get this done Tammie. Prayers for a speedy recovery. Sara
DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing Neck-reverse Lordosis of c-spine C6-C7 with impingement, numb hand and sore outer elbow. Bursitis to both knees. RN
tkay View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2017 at 10:39am
Hi everyone.
I had surgery Thursday. It went well.
The surgeon was able to do some trimming rather than stitching the meniscus.
I've been in bed since getting home. Trips to the bathroom and back.
I've used crutches on the stairs a couple of times.

I live in a quad level house so I decided just to live in the bedroom for a few days.

I see the doctor on Monday.
Racer X View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Racer X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2017 at 1:13pm
Hi tkay -

I am glad to hear that your surgery went well.  Definitely take it easy and let the body go through its healing process.

Hope your Recovery goes well.

If you want, let us know how your doctor's appointment goes on Monday.

Racer X  
The Past is the Past.
Focus on Moving Forward.
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2017 at 2:17pm
Hi Tammie-----

So happy to hear the surgery is over and will be looking forward to hearing how the Drs visit goes. Please be careful on the crutches-----I hear you about a multilevel home----same issue with me and I did fall after my last spinal fusion using a walker. Due to all of us with so many medical issues involving stairs, we are having to move.

I know how relieved you must be to have this behind you. So huge hugs and get well soon!!!

tkay View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2017 at 2:27pm
I am very glad the surgery is over.
Being the second day aft we r surgery I have very little pain, it has been controlled with Ibuprofen and if the pain is not controllable I do have medicine for it.

I was able to figure out why I was having terrible times where my skin was so itchy. My pain medicine was causing the itching!

I am doing very well.
Bailey View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2017 at 4:13am
Hi Tammie,

Great news! Glad the surgery is over and the recovery s going well. Hopefully this brings much lasting relief for you.
Cervical Facet arthritis
Chronic Pain Syndrome
tkay View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2017 at 6:55pm
Hi Everyone.

It is great news that this surgery went well and so far the healing part is too. Having this surgery has been a huge relief for me. I am able to walk around carefully.

The surgeon was not able to repair the tear in the meniscus because of its location. He did trim it so that it would be smooth as the rest of the meniscus.
I will be going to 4 weeks of PT. The PT office and my Primary Doctor is down the road from my house.
I saw the surgeon today and I no longer have stitches.

I have been lounging in my bedroom. My bed seems to be the best place to lay around when I am not feeling well or need recovery.

When I went to the surgeon I was able to walk gingerly with my full weight on my knee. I can bend and straighten it really well too.

I decided that I will be off of work this whole week. The job I have doesn't require me to be on my feet. I do a lot of observing from a bench.

I have friends across the street from me who help me out a lot. I pay their son to do odd jobs around the house. He does a great job and loves to chat while working. His dad took me to the surgeon today.

I am quite bored but I find reading material and puzzle books to be entertaining. I have some classes I have to renew online for my job so I did that today.

I am glad the surgery is over.

Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2017 at 11:09pm
What wonderful news for a wonderful person, Tammie

I'm sure that you are having a difficult time with not being able to be more active as you're always on the go!! But you are also such a great patient and will do well in PT

Great news

tkay View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2017 at 3:57pm

The picture above is two of my cats, Jack(has white legs) and Oliver. They are brothers.Most of my time is spent in bed because it is comfortable here.

I am impressed with how quickly I was able to get an appointment and then my recovery.

Today and yesterday I haven't needed Ibuprofen for pain, but for the swelling.

I have been doing activities around the house as I feel I can. I don't push myself(I don't push myself on a normal day either).

I have some laundry to fold, organizing in my office to tend to also.

For those who don't know me, sitting around is an activity that does not come easily for me.

I was wondering if anyone has experienced allergies to bandaids. I was wondering if it is the adhesive that seems to bother me or the product used for the bandaid.

Renee View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014-2017

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2017 at 5:09pm
Hi Tammie,
So glad your recuperation is going so well.  Please don't rush it.  It all takes time.  I know what you mean about sitting and not being active.  Been there done that and it isn't fun but necessary.  Your cats are cute!!
underactive thyroid 20 years, history of kidney stones, had lithotripsy eight or nine times thru the past 30 years.
Had left knee drained twice in past year, prednisone injection afterwards in knee. Had prednisone injection month before 2nd spinal surgery but no draining - all due to arthritis.
spinal surgery 7/07 with fusing L3-L5, spinal stenosis, DDD
7mm anterolisthesis of L4 on L5
Lots and lots of nerve pain down legs.
2nd spinal surgery 1/20/15 Post lumbar L2/3 fusion XLIF L2/3. Admission diagnosis:
Degeneration of lumbar or lumbosacral intervertebral disc(degeneration of lumbar disc-radiculitis-_
Thoracic or lumbosacral neuritis or radiculitis, unspecified. Other musculoskeletal symptoms referable to limbs(729.89)
Spinal stenosis, lumbar region, without neurogenic claudication. s/p an post spinal fusion, s/p ant post spinal fusion
3/16 double knee arthoscopic surgery due to torn meniscus in each knee and gel injections in each - toxic allergic reaction in left knee from gel.
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2017 at 9:49am
Quite a few people have allergies to adhesive and latex that's in the bandaids. I'd buy some latex free bandaids and give them a try.

Your kitties are adorable. I'm sure they are loving the comfy bed also!!

tkay View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2017 at 3:45pm
Thank you all for your well wishes and encouragements. The kitties love to be around me when I am laying around. My little terrier Arthur normally will not let me out of his sight. They keep me company.

I bought some 3M wound covers, they have paper tape and still have adhesive. The area around the wound is So red. I will let my doctors know of this problem so that no adhesives or latex is placed as a bandage on my skin. I have noticed when getting lab work done that when they put tourniquet on my arm it is red when they take it off.

I did have a setback after the stitches came out. The one wound healed well. The other one opened and I had a geyser of fluid coming out of my knee. I had either opened it when I was getting up from a chair or car, or the wound just wasn't ready to have stitches removed. So I went back to the surgeons office and he placed two stitches in my knee (this was last Thursday or Wednesday).

The office was efficient in getting me an appointment in such short notice and the doctor and assistants were very kind.

I felt a bit miffed that this happened but I have the second set of stitches out yesterday.The wound is much more healed than the last time.

I have been doing a lot of walking around. It has not been too bad. I have PT starting soon. I do notice in the morning when I get up that my Achilles tendon is tight. I have a feeling my gait really had a bad effect. So Hopefully the PT guy will help with that too.

I have been trying to walk "normally" when I feel a bit of pain, but it is hard! I am so glad I had this surgery though. I cant think of walking around with the knee injury I had.
tkay View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2017 at 1:27pm
Hi Everyone.
I have had the second set of stitches out of my knee now for a week! I am so glad to be over them.

I am doing well. walking with hardly any difficulty. Slowly I am getting into my schedule.

Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2017 at 5:25pm
Great news Tammie!!!!!! Huge hugs to you

Bailey View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2017 at 3:15am
Glad to hear you're healing well Tammie. .
Cervical Facet arthritis
Chronic Pain Syndrome
tkay View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/03/2017 at 7:55am
thank you ladies. now to get through PT. I am sure I will get through it fine.
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/03/2017 at 9:41pm
Knowing you Tammie?

YOU will have those PT's trained and be out of there in no time. I'm saying this in the best possible way as those of us who know you, know how hard you work, and the caring person you are.

So---now get better soon

tkay View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2017 at 4:29pm
I am doing pretty good. I do work on in PT and at home with exercises.
Some day I will be able to kneel and squat again! Those are painful.
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2017 at 7:28pm
Way to go Tammie. Now---if you can pass on the secret to kneeling and squatting please do. If I get down in either way someone has to help me up---or I have to have something to pull myself up. So know that I'm thrilled for you working so hard.

tkay View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2017 at 9:17pm
At this point I don't know if I will ever squat or knee without help. I tried the other night and no one was home. I did get up but it was difficult! :)
I was looking in a closet for some shoes I knew that were in there. I donated 6 pair of shoes to an organization that helps girls get homecoming attire. I hope the shoes are well used. :) I won't ever use them, someone else should benefit.
 Post Reply Post Reply