Advertise
With Us 
ChronicPainSite.com Foundation, Inc Personal Homepage
Please, if you have not Donated lately we need your help.
Click here to find out how YOU can help
  Advertise
With Us 

FAQ FAQ   Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

To Our FB page      

Login
Register
---------
ChronicPainSite.com Foundation, Inc
RULES
Navigation
Main Page
Forum Home
About Us
Site Information
Our Advisors
Articles Home
Faces of Pain
Recipe Section
No Pain Pain Scale No Pain

FAQ
Member Control Panel
Login
Register
Walking Conversion Chart

DC's Stories

CP Man Stories

Donate

Donkey’s Story

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Donkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Donkey’s Story
    Posted: Jun/19/2018 at 6:52pm
.     Hi, just wanted to introduce myself and share a bit of my story with whoever. Sorry, it's not too inspirational, (I'm sure a lot of you can relate) My name is Don, age 56, live in Idaho, a family member gave me the nickname "donkey", (eeyore from whinnie the phooh), I guess 'cause my personality is quite introverted and shy?
  I'm married, father of two wonderful "kids", five awesome grandkids, and a pretty "special" dog. I was an auto body tech. from 1979 till 2008. It was a VERY physical and I was up to my elbows in chemicals all day, can't prove it, but I think I have a lot of pain issues from that alone. One of my passions was trail bike (dirt bike) ridding with my son, still ride a little when I can, I do feel blessed that I can, even though physically it's beating me up, it does wonders emotionally, spiritually.  Around 02 I was up in the mountains riding when coming around a corner a 4-wheeler was in a place he ought not be going like a bat out of hell, and hit me head-on, I came up out of my seat and we hit our heads mid air. I was knocked out for who knows how long? Don't remember how I managed to ride back to my truck and back to town. Got checked out at the hospital, x-rays, ct scan, said I had a concussion and a small brain bleeder? They never checked my neck! They sent me home and I went back to work all the wile with an extremely sore neck and arms, this went on for months, went to several dr.'s, muscle relaxers, physical therapy and so on. This went on for several yrs. and I finally demanded an mri. Well, what do you know? Sir your neck has been broken and it's fused itself in an awkward position, and we recommend surgery. I guess it's a miracle I didn't die? Any how, I wish I hadn't been so persistent, because in 06 I had the surgery, discectomy & fusion with hardware c-3-4. Well, that's when the real pain began! Actually, I was feeling better, and then a few weeks later I woke up one day and I felt like someone thru me off a speeding train onto the tracks! I thought surly this is temporary and did the phys. therapy thing, pain meds, exercise, etc. Went back to work and tried to push through it, but just couldn't get any relief. I kept telling the neuro surgeon that something is seriously wrong. He ordered an mri and it "said" everything was a-ok. I'm here to tell you it wasn't and still isn't! He finally refused to see me, referred me to a pain management dr. and I've been with him since.
In 07 I felt I just couldn't work anymore and took a short term disability thru my insurance. In the meantime I saw another surgeon  and he was fairly certain if he fused below it might help, I was desperate and did it. Didn't help, but at least it didn't seem to be worse. In 08 I got permanent disability and here I am today, bored, drugged up on methadone and oxycodone!
I think I've tried every opiate out there and I've decided these are the best bang for the buck, (gotta love medicare!) I've tried massage, acupuncture, shots, p.t. none did much good, plus who can afford it? Went to a chiropractor for a while, but the last time I went I had a stroke 2 min. after I left the office! I've recovered from that, but holy crap! people, maybe think twice before you let someone torque on your neck. seriously, do research, it's not that uncommon, read Kevin Sorbo's story. maybe my nickname should be Murphy's law? In 2016 I had a rotator cuff surgery. That's a lot of pain when your immune to opiates! still hurts.
Anyhow, I'm sick of this relentless pain! sick of the pills! I'd love to try med. oil etc. and maybe get off the pills, but as you can see I live in Idaho and it's SATANS WEED 'round these parts! give me a break. Has anyone out there tried the new and improved laser treatment? I'm a little reluctant trying, I guess because my pain dr. backed out on getting one plus ins. doesn't cover (big surprise) and it's big $. I keep asking my pain doc. what's new out there? 12 yrs. with him now and not one single thing is new! But the news keeps telling us there is all kinds of other options besides opiates!
I guess I've rambled on enough, hope I haven't been too much of a bummer.
 Hopefully I can report back with some better news about a new and wonderful treatment! Some avatars would be nice!
                                   best wishes, Donkey
neck fusions w/hardware 06 &08 c4-c6, pain in back&arms and other complications multiplied after surgery! rotator cuff surgery 2016 (still hurts 2018) moderate spondylosis, ddd, bulging, ect. rest of spine, IBS, migraines, Thanks for noticing; eeyore
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2018 at 9:44am
Holy cow Donkey. What a mess.

Back to the accident—-they did a CT? I’m sure of your head/brain, but it must have picked up at least some of the cervical vertebrae. Can you get a copy of the Scans and report? Your neck certainly should have been scanned and X-rayed. You could well have a case against them.

I’m afraid that in the interim between the accident and your surgery you sustained permanent nerve damage from nerve compression. You mentioned Oxycodone and Methadone but nothing for nerve pain such as Gabapentin or Lyrica.

I’m a huge believer in MMJ for pain management. We can talk more about that but you’d have to take a vacation to maybe CO to have time to see how various types such as oils, flowers, topicals and edibles work for you. We do have members who order CBD oil from CO and swear by it.

Welcome here and we look forward to getting to know you better.

Please donate to help Chronicpainsite.com continue to help others.

My journey with chronic pain began over 30 years ago, while as a young nurse working spinal rehab, I injured my back lifting a patient. I am now fused from L2-S1. I have multiple thoracic and cervical issues. I'm a retired RN/PA and I know and understand the frustrations on both ends of the treatment spectrum of dealing with CP. It's been my goal since 2008, when we started this site, to reach out and help as many people in pain as possible. We will continue the fight as long as we can. Please, if you can help us continue to help you and others, donate. Thank you.
Donkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2018 at 8:03pm
Hi Stevie, thanks for the response

Yes, I do take gabapentin, baclofen, my pain doc believes drugs like lyrica would be of no use? I've been taking opiates for so long I've almost come to the conclusion that they really don't help that much for pain anymore and there're just warding off withdrawal?? I feel I'm too weak and it's too painful every time I try to taper off, just seems there is no alternative? Are you telling me people order CDB oil in states like Idaho? I'm not advocating anybody break laws, but I'd order some if I could. Sorry, but I'm not in a financial position to take a month plus vacation to Co. I don't know anyone I could stay with in a legalized state either, by the way I'm just about 70 mi. from Oregon. but still, same situation.
I would be interested if anybody has a success story with the new high power laser treatments?

As far as that old ct scan, I'll have to look around to see if I have a copy. Seems like I did speak to a lawyer about that a few yrs. ago and he said tuff luck, not only because of the statute of limitations , but you can be sure hospitals, dr's.  etc. make you sign all the necessary forms to cover their butts! This is the same hospital that postponed my dads heart surgery because the surgeon had to attend a retirement party, my dad died driving home two days later! I'll bet if I had screwed up one of those doctors cars when I was working there sure would be hell to pay!

I think I mentioned this before, but my real pain and nightmare began AFTER my neck surgery! the lawyer said the same thing about him. I think I'm just going to come right out and say I have just about given up all faith in doctors! I haven't found one yet that really wants to spend the time to find out what the heck is going on with all my pain. Am I alone here, but when I'm looking online and such I read about "pain management teams" were you got doctors of different specialties and this and that coordinating with each other to give you the best outcome possible in managing your particular pain issues? I roll my eyes every time I see or hear something like that! Every time I've gone to a new dr. to see if they have any ideas, it's like, sorry, is there anything else I can help you with? I am glad I have a pain dr. who's stuck in there with me the whole time, but 12 plus yrs. and not ONE frikkin new anything for chronic pain? Plus he scoffs at medical M.J. Not a big surprise I guess, considering insurance doesn't pay out for it!
I am afraid you are probably right about the permanent nerve damage, I've also considered maybe scar tissue on the nerves? Either way the doctors seem to think there's nothing to be done about it. Or could it be they don't have time to deal with it? Take your pills and shut up! next patient please! I suppose I should be happy for now because it sounds like the gov. is going to take our pills away, AL well, there's so  many alternatives! By the way I haven't seen too many races, auctions, fund raisers for chronic pain research lately (or ever!) Who's going to be our voice? where's the celebrity outrage? 
I guess I should sign off for now, I'm starting to get in one of THOSE moods.
I'm not going to give up though, (and I hope you don't) maybe thru sights like this we can find some answers?
                                     Best wishes, Donkey

neck fusions w/hardware 06 &08 c4-c6, pain in back&arms and other complications multiplied after surgery! rotator cuff surgery 2016 (still hurts 2018) moderate spondylosis, ddd, bulging, ect. rest of spine, IBS, migraines, Thanks for noticing; eeyore
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2018 at 10:50am
http://chronicpainsite.com/mb/forum_posts.asp?TID=17341&PID=209978&title=cbd#209978

The above link may help you. Please read through it and scroll down to Dicks posts. I’m not up on the effectiveness of CBD oil from hemp, but I know Dick well and trust his judgment. You can research the link he provided. My concern for you is if your Pain Management Dr does urine tests, it may show up so I’d sure talk to him about it.

I honestly don’t know if anyone has had much luck with Laser treatments. If so, I believe we’d have heard about it. But again, keep asking questions and finds out if it’s covered by insurance.

Currently there are few other new options for those of us with CP. We definitely need new and effective medications that treat pain without the dependency y/addiction issues. And I mean really work on chronic pain because I personally don’t believe that long term opioid use is effective as time goes by. It’s really intended for acute pain relief but we have few options available for us and that’s a crime. That’s why I’ve had luck stopping my Oxycodone and using MMJ. Unfortunately, I just had the only lumbar disc not fused (L1) go and have to see my OS next week for what looks like another fusion. I dread having to go through the weaning off process again if that’s the case.

I’m sorry that your Dr won’t at least let you try Lyrica. I feel that it is more effective than Gabapentin for nerve pain in my case, but the cost even with my insurance is prohibitive so I have stuck with Gabapentin.

We do have a couple of members who are actively reaching out to Congress to listen to our voices. One is Eileenbunny. You may also wish to PM Jeff. He is actively pursuing ways to get the plight of those with intractable pain and the need for opioids to continue to be prescribed.

I need to sign off for now but will keep thinking!!!

Please donate to help Chronicpainsite.com continue to help others.

My journey with chronic pain began over 30 years ago, while as a young nurse working spinal rehab, I injured my back lifting a patient. I am now fused from L2-S1. I have multiple thoracic and cervical issues. I'm a retired RN/PA and I know and understand the frustrations on both ends of the treatment spectrum of dealing with CP. It's been my goal since 2008, when we started this site, to reach out and help as many people in pain as possible. We will continue the fight as long as we can. Please, if you can help us continue to help you and others, donate. Thank you.
 Post Reply Post Reply