Advertise
With Us 
ChronicPainSite.com Foundation, Inc Personal Homepage
Please, if you have not Donated lately we need your help.
Click here to find out how YOU can help
  Advertise
With Us 

FAQ FAQ   Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

To Our FB page      

Login
Register
---------
ChronicPainSite.com Foundation, Inc
RULES
Navigation
Main Page
Forum Home
About Us
Site Information
Our Advisors
Articles Home
Faces of Pain
Recipe Section
No Pain Pain Scale No Pain

FAQ
Member Control Panel
Login
Register
Walking Conversion Chart

DC's Stories

CP Man Stories

Donate

Neck Pain

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
tkay View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2013-2018

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2016 at 4:12pm
hi Edie.
I am glad you can get the opinion of the oral surgeon and move on from there.
I don't understand the dentist knowing your concern for infection, why an antibiotic wasn't prescribed.
I sure hope you two can go on your vacation.

Merlin View Drop Down
Prior Member
Prior Member
I Donated to CPS 2013-2016

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2016 at 9:58pm
Edie/Stevie - I am glad you are getting antibiotics for your teeth before infection gets to your internal extras -

Dental surgery is a night mare - it took me months to recover from the dental surgery I had done before Christmas - but I have had the area xrayed - and the ankylosed root that had to be left behind is being absorbed by the bone -

We all need good news

Edie - that bridgework sounds complicated - I have never looked into it - I have upper and lower partial dentures and I need my remaining teeth to stay there to support my partials - if I lose those teeth I will have to have an implant or maybe two - my jaw is strange - I should have had braces on my teeth but it was not considered when I was of the right age

And - Edie - I would be a little unsure of the dentist who didn't give you antibiotics if you have an abscess - and you do - they do not go away - the fact that you flinched when your dentist touched it is a good sign - your nerve is still alive

All the best with the dentist ladies - I know how freaky it is - I like my dentist - he's great - but getting teeth out - it makes me queasy - in a serious way

So I will be thinking of both of you - we all have teeth at some stage - but they are trouble getting, trouble caring for them and trouble when they pass their use-by date

mmmm yes - time to hideWine

btw - what is 6 pack when it comes to antibiotics
Edie View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2016 at 1:48am
Merlyn

6 pack was the wrong term for me to use. The antibiotic's name is azythromycin. It comes in a pack of 6 tablets. This is better know as a Z Pack. You take 2 tablets the first day, and 1 the next four days. This medicine usually works well for me, but when one treatment doesn't work, they usually give you another one, or something else. It was a difficulty getting my dentist to prescribe the one I got, and absolutely refuses to give me another one or something else, knowing the possibility of having the infection go to my knee.

I will be seeing the oral surgeon next week, and hopefully I will find out more about why they want to pull the tooth next to the one that hurts instead of the one where the abscess is.

Many of my medical friends are in my FB. I posted a request for suggestions about good dentists in the area. I got a few results, and plan to check one of them after I see my Oral Surgeon.

....Then, my doctor had told me I was going to keep all my meds except for the one I used for break tru pain. Now when I called the other day for a refill on Ambien, a sleeping aid, he decided to cut my anxiety pills from 4 a day to 1 a day. I was told by the assistant that when I run out of the supply I have, I am supposed to stop completely. I use these pills for hyperventilation episodes I get when the anxiety is high, and I have been on it for several years.

I normally only used 2 at bed time, and have been thinking about trying to cut down on my own. But this is not a good time to do it. I got to much going on. This was said to me over the phone by the doctor's assistant, otherwise I would talked to him, and try to make him change his mind. Now, I will have to wait for when I see him next time, in a couple of months.

I have to cut down to one at bedtime and take 5 mg Ambien with it instead. It has been only 4 days, and I am already feeling sick with withdrawals symptoms. The medicine is Klonopin, and I have heard these type of drugs are very hard to quit.  Luckily I wasn't taking a lot of it, so I hope it won't be too hard. I am sure that if my panic attacks, and hyperventilation start bothering me again, my doctor will let me go back to my regular dose. At least, I hope he will...Edie
Chronic pain throughout the spine caused by osteoarthritis (DDD). Started at neck, spread to thoracic, and lately to lumbar area. Most of my spine is affected by bulges, disc height loss and dehydration, bone spurs, annular tears, foraminal stenosis, probable nerve impingement, and degeneration at end plates and facets.

The disease extends from Cervical C2-3 to C7-T1. Thoracic T4 to T10.
Lumbar T12-L1 to L5-S1.
It is all non operable.

Other conditions
TKR R Knee.
Torn ACL, MCL L knee,
Pain on legs and calves
Deep vein thrombosis
Migraine headaches
Painful spots all over scalp
COPD
Hypertension
Chronic Hyperventilation. Caused by anxiety or stress
Chronic depression and insomnia
Rocken Roni View Drop Down
Charter - Member
Charter - Member
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocken Roni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2016 at 10:47pm
Hi Edie,

I hope you get the second opinion on the procedures as who knows if this dentist is trying to make a few more bucks. I hope not.

I have to take major penicillin before a dentist procedure as I had Rheumatic Fever so that has to be known in any open surgery.

Good Luck with the Dentist and I hope you get to take that vacation!!

Please donate to help Chronicpainsite.com continue to help others.

Until one has felt the Love of an animal,
a part of their Soul remains Unawakened.

Unknown

1st injured Feb, 1997. Was told it was "Soft Tissue" and sent back to work - no X-rays
Late 1997 attended 1st Rehab Program to strengthen back. Mid 98 PCP took me off work. Tried going back to work over the next couple years, mostly off work due to pain.
June 2000, met with OS for first time. Did MRI , damage was L5-S1 totally blown out. Surgery done Jan, 2001.
Another Rehab program late 2001, attempted to go back to work early 2002. Slipped on water, fell flat on back screw fusion broke.
Went to 3rd Rehab program summer 2002.
Oct 2003 - 2nd Surgery, due to broken screw, had to operate from the front.
No improvement. Attended 4th Rehab program in 2004, at time It was decided NO work.
March 2006, had 3rd Surgery, this time fusion and instrumentation from Si to L3.
June 2008 Surgeon finally admitted I had Failed Back Surgery.
August 2009 WCB Finally put me on Long Term Disability
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2016 at 10:47am
Edie----

Klonopin needs to be very gradually decreased. I'm not sure what your Dr is thinking other than the fact that there's been a lot of chatter among the health care profession re giving "older" patients benzos and other CNS drugs due to respiratory depression at night.

Doesn't make it right at all--but insurance companies are actually refusing to fill these meds even when prescribed. It's another slam at those who depend upon medications to help pain and anxiety. I hope you will make an appointment with your Dr and have a serious talk about how much you need this med.

My journey with chronic pain began over 30 years ago, while as a young nurse working spinal rehab, I injured my back lifting a patient. I am now fused from L2-S1. I have multiple thoracic and cervical issues. I'm a retired RN/PA and I know and understand the frustrations on both ends of the treatment spectrum of dealing with CP. It's been my goal since 2008, when we started this site, to reach out and help as many people in pain as possible. We will continue the fight as long as we can. Please, if you can help us continue to help you and others, donate. Thank you.
Edie View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2016 at 1:08am
It has been a week now since I started to cut down my 1 mg of Klonopin to .5 mg. I have spent a few days feeling sick, weak, nauseous, and extremely tired.  The last couple of days though, I have felt a bit better, and even a bit more alert than I had before cutting down. I have had some episodes with hyperventilation, but I have started doing  my breathing exercises again, and that seems to calm me down some. I am drinking Chamomile tea, and rubbing Peace and Calm Essential Oil around my nose and and behind the ears. This is supposed to help anxiety. I really can tell that it works that well, but it smells wonderful, and that seems to be pretty calming.

The Doctor gave me some Ambien to use at night while cutting down on the Klonopin, but 5 mg doesn't help, so sometimes I use 10 mg. I don't want to run out of the Ambien too soon, so now I am using some Carisoprodol with the 5 mg of Ambien instead.  It seems to work OK. The problem is that I can't use Carisopropodol too often, because when I do, it gives me headaches, and irritates my stomach. I never can't sleep until 3 or 4 am, even with all these meds plus the Morphine. But as long as I don't start thinking stuff or hyperventilating, I'm Ok. I read or play games until I fall asleep.

If things get bad, I will call my doctor. For now, I am just waiting until my next appointment. I am also waiting to fill the extra prescriptions he gave me before all these happened. He usually gives me 3 months prescriptions ahead of time, to have them filled each moth until my next visit. The prescriptions I have left a the pharmacy were for 1 mg at night.  The people at the pharmacy refuse to tell me if the doctor changed them or not. I will find out when I get them filled.

The doctor's assistant is the one who told me the doctor had ordered to cut down. I have the feeling that she is confused,  because the doctor had cut down my original prescription of 2 mg a day to 1 mg a day. Either way, if I am able to quit this medicine, I would be very happy. I only would want to have some handy for times of high anxiety and hyperventilation episodes.

Tomorrow I have appointment with my Oral Surgeon. It is just for consultation this time. I have a huge list of questions for  him. I hope he will give a chance to ask them. He has a very detailed pamphlet in his website, but because of my problems with pain, infection, and with the fact that the bad tooth is holding a bridge, my case is not by any means the average. Later, I plan to start a separate thread for the tooth issue separately...Edie
Chronic pain throughout the spine caused by osteoarthritis (DDD). Started at neck, spread to thoracic, and lately to lumbar area. Most of my spine is affected by bulges, disc height loss and dehydration, bone spurs, annular tears, foraminal stenosis, probable nerve impingement, and degeneration at end plates and facets.

Lumbar T12-L1 to L5-S1.
It is all non operable.

Other conditions
TKR R Knee.
Torn ACL, MCL L knee,
Pain on legs and calves
Deep vein thrombosis
Migraine headaches
COPD
Hypertension
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2016 at 10:02am
Edie,

I can't take narcotics at night at all or I'll be up all night despite Ambien or anything. Is it possible to take your last dose of MS early in the evening or late afternoon to see if that helps with sleep? I know it's a fine balance because pain at night is difficult also, but I do use a muscle relaxant at bedtime which helps the pain somewhat. I hope you'll get this figured out, but of course the less you can take the better:)

Please let us know how you make out with the Oral Surgeon. Tooth problems are at the top of my list of things I hate the most. Good luck!!

My journey with chronic pain began over 30 years ago, while as a young nurse working spinal rehab, I injured my back lifting a patient. I am now fused from L2-S1. I have multiple thoracic and cervical issues. I'm a retired RN/PA and I know and understand the frustrations on both ends of the treatment spectrum of dealing with CP. It's been my goal since 2008, when we started this site, to reach out and help as many people in pain as possible. We will continue the fight as long as we can. Please, if you can help us continue to help you and others, donate. Thank you.
tkay View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/03/2016 at 12:23pm
Hi Edie.
It seems like a bit of a process to cut down on your meds like you are. I hope this process goes okay. I am thinking of you.

I hope your appointment goes well with the Oral surgeon and you can get your questions answered.
Edie View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2016 at 12:23am
Thank you Stevie and Tammie

Stevie that makes sense. Morphine kind of wakes me up. I will try taking it earlier. Right now I take it at 9 pm.

I had an episode with hyperventilation a couple of nights ago. I got scared that it wouldn't stop, and came very close to taking another Klonopin. I ended up taking some Oxycodone  that for some reason makes me drowsy, instead. I finally went to sleep. I have been fine after that. Once in a while I get a little episode, but they usually don't last long. After what I went through with these attacks a few years ago, I am terrified of getting this again. So far I am hanging in there.

I went to the Oral Surgeon yesterday. He explained many things to me. He said the tooth had to come out. One problem was that he said that my dentist's orders didn't mention anything about an implant. He wanted to know how was the dentist going to replace the tooth. I didn't know. I thought the Oral Surgeon was going to tell me my choices, and go from there. He said the dentist was the one the needed to do that. She just had told me to come to her office and have the tooth sectioned the same day I went for the extraction, get an implant in place, and come back to insert the new tooth. (All these in the course of several months, of course)

She brushed lightly about what the implant was a about. She also mentioned a removable tooth, but didn't explain anything about it. I don't even know what will happen to my bridge.

. I need to go back and ask how she is going to replace my tooth. If I  have a different choice besides implant, I need to know about it, and how that works. I need to know what will happen with my bridge. The surgeon said sometimes they remove it completely, and then I would have to get a new one.

At the dentist they had given me a price for the a new tooth, whether an implant or a removable one. But they never told me that price was just for the tooth, and nothing else. Now I find out that besides that, and the Oral Surgeon charges, there will be some different steps at the dentist office, all separate charges.

The Oral surgeon gave me an itemized list of all the steps and the charges for every one, including anesthesia. I need to get something like that from the dentist so I have an idea about how much this tooth will cost finally. I was looking at around $7000.00, now if I go with the implant is turning more to around $12,000. If they remove the bridge, who knows how much will that be. I don't want to go around with a hole my mouth, but I sure would not want to pay that kind of money for one tooth. That is besides the some $3-4000 I  have already spent before. That is why I need to know what other options are there, and how much all these will cost.

In the meantime, the tooth is hurting, the infection is still active, and no antibiotics. The Oral Surgeon wouldn't give me any either. I called my Ortho Surgeon to see what he thinks about that. But I will have to wait til Monday for an answer.

I couldn't get a hold of my dentist today, so I will call Monday to ask to see her to get my questions answered, and hopefully get this thing going soon. AAAAGGGHH!

Lumbar T12-L1 to L5-S1.
It is all non operable.

Other conditions
TKR R Knee.
Torn ACL, MCL L knee,
Pain on legs and calves
Deep vein thrombosis
Migraine headaches
COPD
Hypertension
Bailey View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2016 at 3:48am
How confusing and stressful :(

Sorry you're dealing with this Edie. Sure wish they'd just give you some antibiotics until this gets taken care of. Hope Monday brings some answers.
DDD C3-C6 with multiple osteophytes causing both moderate foraminal and canal stenosis and flattening and impinging on the spinal cord
Cervical Facet arthritis
Chronic Pain Syndrome
Charter - Member
Charter - Member
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocken Roni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2016 at 7:07am
Oh Edie,

I know the painful feeling of teeth. You must be in Agony!!
I hope you make it through the weekend with out a lot of pain.
Hugs Edie I hope it helps a bit.    Hug    Hug    Hug    Hug
Thinking of you.

Unknown

1st injured Feb, 1997. Was told it was "Soft Tissue" and sent back to work - no X-rays
Late 1997 attended 1st Rehab Program to strengthen back. Mid 98 PCP took me off work. Tried going back to work over the next couple years, mostly off work due to pain.
June 2000, met with OS for first time. Did MRI , damage was L5-S1 totally blown out. Surgery done Jan, 2001.
Another Rehab program late 2001, attempted to go back to work early 2002. Slipped on water, fell flat on back screw fusion broke.
No improvement. Attended 4th Rehab program in 2004, at time It was decided NO work.
March 2006, had 3rd Surgery, this time fusion and instrumentation from Si to L3.
Edie View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2016 at 1:00am
Hi,
Thanks Baily and Ronni, it is not fun at all.

I still haven't had the tooth pulled. Because of my fixed bridge this is not an average extraction. I needed to know what was the plan for after the extraction. I went back to my dentist to ask some questions, but she was still very reluctant to explain things. I caught her a couple times giving the assistant exasperated looks.

I went for a second  opinion. This doctor now says the tooth is very bad and does need to come out, but there is a problem with that.

The sick tooth and the one next to it are holding the bridge.
If the sick tooth is removed, that leaves only that other tooth holding the bridge.
That tooth is not strong enough to hold the bridge on its own. That tooth is very week and will not last very long. The other dentist didn't tell me that, but I knew that tooth didn't look very good. That is the tooth where they did surgery a couple of years ago when I felt every thing because of my developed tolerance to pain medications.

That leaves me with some limited options

Get rid of the bridge, place 2 or more implants, and put in a new one. Big expense, and not feasible for me

See and endodontist to drain the cyst, as I did with with the other tooth before. then the dentist would try to close a separation that is between the crown and the tooth, which is what is letting bacteria into my tooth. This would hold the tooth for a while. Can’t tell how long, but it could be 1 or 2 years. Would have to wait to see if the endodontist can do the draining, and the dentist is not sure that the opening between the tooth and the crown can be fixed

He suggested that I go see a Prosthodontist, or something like that, to do an evaluation, and then go from there. Now I have an appointment, but not until August. I am in a lot of pain, I still have inflammation and redness around the tooth. I am worried about the infection spreading, but he said I have enough time before needing to worry about that.

I don't know how long I will stand the pain. The Morphine I take for my spine doesn't help much. I need to decide if to take the chance and go with the plan of extracting the tooth and replacing it as the other dentist says, or wait to see what the specialist says. I really don't wish to see that woman again. But it all depends on how things go with the tooth while I wait for the specialist.

Now my doctor comes with the idea that I stop my anxiety medication. No exactly a good time for that right now, but I am doing what I was told. 

I am in the thick with withdrawal symptoms, as I wean out of Klonopin , which my doctor's assistant told me I had to do.

I am now on 1/4 of of a .5 tablet. I was only taking 1 gram at bed time at the start, but this has not been easy. I have been feeling sick, weak, trembling, having quick jerks through my body, nausea, real bad headaches, a whole not feeling good feeling.

I was taking this medicine because I get panic attacks that makes me hyperventilate. That it is I feel the need of taking repeated deep breaths until my chest hurts, I get dizzy, and get headache. This happens when I try to relax, so now I can't seat and watch a tv show, read a book, or get much sleep. I am sooo sleepy, but can't sleep day or night. I sleep a little bit with the help of a sleeping aid.

I get that my diaphragm and my esophagus feels tight. At times when I am eating it gets that I can't swallow. I am scared to death of this. I had it at one time before for a whole year. Many times, I ended up in the ER. But it wasn't until I ended up in a Psych Crisis Center, that I got this medicine prescribed, and have been on it ever since.

I still think the assistant misunderstood the doctor's orders. Day after tomorrow my pharmacy refills my prescriptions again. So I am waiting to see what I get before calling the doctor about it.

Thanks, and sorry again for the long post...Edie

Lumbar T12-L1 to L5-S1.
It is all non operable.

Other conditions
TKR R Knee.
Torn ACL, MCL L knee,
Pain on legs and calves
Deep vein thrombosis
Migraine headaches
COPD
Hypertension
Bailey View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2016 at 4:33am
Hi Edie,

I'm so sorry to hear both dental and medication problems. I've struggled with both as well, hugs.

I hope they can come up with something to save your teeth, while you're waiting on appointments maybe look into oil pulling. Some people have great results getting rid of infection with this technique.

Good luck with you medications. It's terrible when someone can decide for you, what meds to take away. Maybe your EO's can help a little with the anxiety, they can sure help with pain and soreness.

Thinking of you.
DDD C3-C6 with multiple osteophytes causing both moderate foraminal and canal stenosis and flattening and impinging on the spinal cord
Cervical Facet arthritis
Chronic Pain Syndrome
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2016 at 8:36am
Edie---

This is a horrible situation and I'm appalled that you are getting what appears to be poor care. I've had two badly abscessed teeth (both had had root canals and crowns) that had to be extracted, and I've always been put on antibiotics immediately. It sounds as if the tooth does need to be removed, and for your overall health and well being not to mention the excruciating pain this can cause, I don't understand why the tooth isn't removed and then a decision can be made regarding replacement.

Please let us know if the Klonopin is refilled. Again, it seems fruitless to take a medication away from you that has worked for a long time and that you obviously need. I'm so sorry you are going through this. Hugs to you.

Edie View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2016 at 11:49pm
Thanks,

The first dentist wants me to get the tooth pulled, but doesn't tell me what is going to happen after, or how is going to affect the bridge. The second opinion dentist tells me that if I have it pulled, the remaining tooth by the bridge won't be able to hold it. That is why he wants me to see this other guy who is supposed to be an expert on these things.

I called the second opinion dentist's office yesterday to let him know how long I have to wait for my appointment with the specialist, and to ask him if he thinks it will  be OK to stay with the infection that long. They told me they would get back to me. I waited all day and nobody called. I called again today, and they told me the same thing. Again I never heard back from them. I really don't know what to do now.

Right now I am feeling very sick, not only from weaning from the Klonopin, but also from the antibiotic my Ortho Surgeon gave me which is making awfully sick. I have 3 days to go with it. I am trying to hang in there until I finish with it, hoping that, at least the infection will get better

Bailey, what is oil pulling. I am not familiar with this, thanks

...Edie

Lumbar T12-L1 to L5-S1.
It is all non operable.

Other conditions
TKR R Knee.
Torn ACL, MCL L knee,
Pain on legs and calves
Deep vein thrombosis
Migraine headaches
COPD
Hypertension
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2016 at 12:48am
Oh Edie.

Common sense tells me to get the tooth out NOW. Deal with the rest later. Like the first dentist.

This infection could spread into your jaw and worse. These Dr's aren't helping you---sounds like they are covering their ass** while you suffer.

Sorry, but I'd have had it out long ago. It's just a tooth. The cosmetic part can wait. Only my opinion. Hugs

Bailey View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2016 at 4:39am
This explains better than I can,

http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/features/oil-pulling
Cervical Facet arthritis
Chronic Pain Syndrome
Edie View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2016 at 1:45am
Hi,
My tooth feels somewhat better, but I am still waiting to see the specialist the new dentist recommended. I have been using Cloves for the pain. I didn't get the oil, just the whole clove. I chew it, and let it sit by the my sore gums, and OMG, it helps a lot. I have also been trying the oil pulling. I am using coconut oil. I am not sure how much it helps, but yack! that stuff feels terrible in my mouth. It leaves a greasy coat all over it, but I guess that is that way it works.

I got my prescriptions filled for this month, and I got the dose the doctor had given me the last time I went to see him. I still have one more refill ready to go. According to this, I still can take 1mg Clonazepan at bedtime, contrary to what the doctor's assistant said. So, I don't know, if things will change when I see him again, or what.

I've kept weaning anyway, as the Assistant had said. I am towards the end of it now. I have been on only .25mg a day for the last 2 weeks, and now I have started on .25 mg every other day, I will do that for a week or two before I stop completely.

I am not sure if I have gone through the worse of the withdrawals, or if it will get worse after I stop completely. For now, I am having a lot a trouble with the hyperventilation that is bothering me quite a bit. But, I feel so much better otherwise, I feel more alert, less sleepy during the day, my memory is improving. So, I really would like to stop it if at all possible. I am not going to tell the doctor for now, just in case I can't make it.

I don't know if told you that the second operation I had on my knee to fix something that had gone wrong with the first one did not do any good. My patella is still flopping from one side to the other just like it did before. I went thorough all the trauma and discomfort of a second operation for nothing.

I had been having very strong headaches for several weeks. I didn't know if it was from the tooth infection, from the Clonazepan withdrawals, or from the Clindamycin my Orho Doctor had given me for the tooth. Now I think it was the Clindamycin because since I finished with that, my headache have started to get a lot better.

The pain in my neck and the rest of my spine continues to get worse. I am sure is not just the grown tolerance to the medicine. My doctor has been talking to me about changing my medication, or even sending me to a pain clinic. I am kind of worried about that. Now my left hip has started to hurt. It hurts when I walk. I am not sure if it is some passing thing, or if I am going to have trouble with that also. I will give it some time before I have my Ortho doctor to take a look.

Thanks...Edie

Lumbar T12-L1 to L5-S1.
It is all non operable.

Other conditions
TKR R Knee.
Torn ACL, MCL L knee,
Pain on legs and calves
Deep vein thrombosis
Migraine headaches
COPD
Hypertension
Edie View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2016 at 1:46am
Originally posted by Edie Edie wrote:

Hi,
My tooth feels somewhat better, but I am still waiting to see the specialist the new dentist recommended. I have been using Cloves for the pain. I didn't get the oil, just the whole clove. I chew it, and let it sit by the my sore gums, and OMG, it helps a lot. I have also been trying the oil pulling. I am using coconut oil. I am not sure that it helps, but yack! that stuff feels terrible in my mouth. It leaves a greasy coat all over it, but I guess that is that way it works.

I got my prescriptions filled for this month, and I got the dose the doctor has given me the last time I went to see him. I still have one more refill ready to go. According to this, I still can take 1mg Clonazepan at bedtime, contrary to what the doctor's assistant said. So, I don't know, if things will change when I see him again, or what.

I've kept weaning anyway, as the Assistant had said. I am towards the end of it now. I have been on only .25mg a day for the last 2 weeks, and now I have started on .25 mg every other day, a will do that for a week or two before I stop completely.

I am not sure if I have gone through the worse of the withdrawals, or if it will get worse after I stop completely. For now, I am having a lot a trouble with the hyperventilation that is bothering me quite a bit. But, I feel so much better otherwise, I feel more alert, less sleepy during the day, my memory is improving. So, I really would like to stop it if at all possible. I am not going to tell the doctor for now, just in case I can't make it.

I don't know if told you that the second operation I had on my knee to fix something that had gone wrong with the first one did not do any good. My patella is still flopping from one side to the other just like it did before. I went thorough all the trauma and discomfort of a second operation for nothing.

I had been having very strong headaches for several weeks. I didn't know if it was from the tooth infection, from the Clonazepan withdrawals, or from the Clindamyin my Orho Doctor had given me for the tooth. Now I thing it was the Clindamycin because since I finished with that, my headache have started to get a lot better.

The pain in my neck and the rest of my spine continues to get worse. I am sure is not just the grown tolerance to the medicine. My doctor has been talking to me about changing my medication, or even sending me to a pain clinic. I am kind of worried about that. Now my left hip has started to hurt. It hurts when I walk. I am not sure if it is some passing thing, or if I am going to have trouble with that also. I will give it some time before I have my Ortho doctor to take a look.

Thanks...Edie

Lumbar T12-L1 to L5-S1.
It is all non operable.

Other conditions
TKR R Knee.
Torn ACL, MCL L knee,
Pain on legs and calves
Deep vein thrombosis
Migraine headaches
COPD
Hypertension
Charter - Member
Charter - Member
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocken Roni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2016 at 11:08am
Gosh, Edie,

Sorry,,,,, you have so many things going on. I'm glad the cloves helps your tooth. I've had to use them a time or two and i found that they work quite well!

It's good if we can lower the dose of our meds or even go off them if possible. I find that the two I'm trying to go off have left me at a low dose but can't go off just yet. Good Luck Edie.

That's too bad that the operation never helped your knee. I wonder if there is something else they can do for you.

I'm glad your headaches are gone. Sounds like it was the Clindamycin that was doing it. Oh, another med gone!

I sure hope your hip and neck start to feel better. Should get them checked as there might be some exercises or stretches you can do to help the pain.

Edie, I do hope things look up for you. You've gone through enough already.
Keep us posted.
Thinking of you.

Unknown

Edie View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2016 at 12:14am
Thanks Roni.

Lumbar T12-L1 to L5-S1.
It is all non operable.

Other conditions
TKR R Knee.
Torn ACL, MCL L knee,
Pain on legs and calves
Deep vein thrombosis
Migraine headaches
COPD
Hypertension
pete81241 View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2013/14/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pete81241 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2016 at 2:09pm
 spent 2 hours writing one paragraph then lost it. so i gave up.  at least i tried...keep on trying....pal pete
parkinsons disease.men1 genetic disorder. endocrine tumors in pituitary gland and pancreas. carpel tunnel syndrome. spinal stenosis.sleep apnea.vast knowledge of crutches and wheelchairs.borderline diabetic.gerd. both hips replaced. spinal stimulator. 7 spine surgeries/fusions. pain pump trial.Thrombocytopenia. no spleen.
Edie View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2016 at 3:14pm
Oh Pete, I am so sorry that happened. But thanks for stopping by. I really appreciate it.

I am always thinking of you. When it comes to fighting pain, you are the King in my book. I hope the future holds better times for you...Hugs

Lumbar T12-L1 to L5-S1.
It is all non operable.

Other conditions
TKR R Knee.
Torn ACL, MCL L knee,
Pain on legs and calves
Deep vein thrombosis
Migraine headaches
COPD
Hypertension
Edie View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2017 at 3:17pm
Hi everybody,
I am sorry, I have not been helping much. My doctor has decided to start cutting down on my medication, with the purpose to get me out of them, completely. Adding to my misery, pain seems to be sprouting around all areas that had been missed before. All I feel like doing now days is sleep. That has to do with the mild withdrawal symptoms y been experiencing. I don't know what I am going to do, but this all is very hard to handle.

I had been dreading this for a long time. I tried all I could  to make him change his mind, but I still left the office with a new script for less pills than my usual. He did hang in there as long as he could without changing my dose, but said that he had to do it, that it was all out of his hands. He was kind enough to give me enough break-trough pain tablets to PRN. I am trying to be conservative with them. Who knows when he will decide to stop those also, and I don't want be to too dependent on them. I will talk to him again on my next appointment, but I don't have much hope.

I don't really expect any changes, but I have written my second letter to bring awareness to this problem. This time I wrote to  my Congressman. I have not heard back from him yet.

I am always around here checking. I will keep trying to help as much as I can...Edie

Lumbar T12-L1 to L5-S1.
It is all non operable.

Other conditions
TKR R Knee.
Torn ACL, MCL L knee,
Pain on legs and calves
Deep vein thrombosis
Migraine headaches
COPD
Hypertension
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2017 at 3:24pm
Edie----

If your Dr is your Internist or GP, you may be forced to request a referral to a PM Dr. I'm looking at the same problem. My Internist of 22 years is being hassled badly about prescribing opioids. She told me that she may have no choice but to refer me out after all these years. I cried---there's no way I can live anywhere near or even close to a normal life without the small amount of meds I take, even supplemented with MMJ. I will be bed bound or in a wheelchair.

Please start looking for a new Dr. You need help and things are going downhill with this current Dr. I'm so sorry.

sara1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sara1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2017 at 9:04pm
 Get your pain Dr. to write your Dr. about your pain meds. I have to get injection or rather RFA nerve burn as well to be able to continue pain meds. Its difficult to go from pain meds to light pain meds or none at all. I feel many people will have no life when there Drs take the Legit people off pain meds. 

What a lot of stress this is adding and the tense muscles worrying every time we see the Dr and they want to cut us down more and more. Its tiring fighting back. Its so unfair many of us suffer like martyrs or something already enough. You're not alone. I wrote the Health Minister as well its just not right. Prayers and hoping you feel better. Sara
DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left leg and foot. all lumbar discs now herniated one central herniation with exiting nerve contact.Facet joint Hypertrophy RFA for pain relief
Edie View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2017 at 12:21am
My doctor is an Internist and I have been with him for many years. He knows me well, he knows I need these medications. That last time I saw him, I broke down, and cried until I could barely talk, while telling him about my ordeal with my pain. Yet, he still cut me down.

He actually showed me one option and asked my what I thought about going with that dose. I told him I didn't think I could handle that one. He left and came  back with another one, and asked me again what I thought about that one, plus an addition of extra break-true pain medicine, and I told him I would try that one.

He has mentioned the possibility of going to a pain clinic before, but I am afraid of going to those places and have practically begged him to stay with me.  I have the feeling that those places are there more to cut you off your medication and have you try other lighter stuff, that I know it will not work for me, because I have already have tried everything else possible.

I don't know what I am going to do. I just can't not handle this pain. Right now I am using my essential oils a lot for the little relief they bring, but that will never be enough...

Thank you Sara and Stevie for your support

Lumbar T12-L1 to L5-S1.
It is all non operable.

Other conditions
TKR R Knee.
Torn ACL, MCL L knee,
Pain on legs and calves
Deep vein thrombosis
Migraine headaches
COPD
Hypertension
Edie View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2017 at 5:04pm
I had an drug follow up appointment with my doctor. I talked to him about how bad my pain was, and how much I was suffering by cutting even just that little bit he had ordered me to cut.

I gave him my little speach about how unfair it was that we chronic pain people should be paying the price for those who abuse the medication. I talked to him about how long I had been on the medication, following the instructions to the letter. I reminded him of my old age and how scared I was of having to spend my last few years suffering when there is something we know that works, but somebody out there decides I can't have it. I spilled it all out while he just listened, and not saying much.

At the end when he started to write the new scripts he tells me that I was going back to my full dose as before. I was elated. I wanted to hug him, but didn't dare. Any way, I am back on my full dose. I am still in pain, but I am better, and the best part is that I don't have to keep worrying about having to keep cutting down on the medication until I reach 0 as was the plan before.

I also had my 2 year check up on my total knee, with my Orthopad. My knee is not well. I can walk fairly well, and there is hardly no pain, but the patella is still flopping side to side when I bend or stretch the leg. This makes it hard to walk up and down stairs. I have to be careful all the time, because, a little misstep and I can fall flat on my face. He figured out what the problem is, but he says that trying to fix it would be a very traumatic procedure. He would have to practically remove the appliance and replace it with the same one or with a new one in order to turn it about a centimeter off center, which is what it would be needed to correct the problem. I am not going to put myself through any more trauma, so, I guess I will have to live with my floppy knee for the rest of my life...Edie

Lumbar T12-L1 to L5-S1.
It is all non operable.

Other conditions
TKR R Knee.
Torn ACL, MCL L knee,
Pain on legs and calves
Deep vein thrombosis
Migraine headaches
COPD
Hypertension
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2017 at 9:54am
I'm so happy to hear that you are back on the dosage of medication that you need and deserve. I honestly wish all Drs could use their judgement and order medications their patients need, but it's not actually possible for them in many cases. My Internist had to send 20 of her CP patients to a PM Dr---she is still prescribing for me but I've been with her for 22 years and she's hoping she can keep me on. These are warnings from the States Medical Boards with the threat to take rights away for prescribing controlled substances for more than a very few patients. Ridiculous.

I'm very sorry to hear about your knee. My husband is miserable from bone on bone L knee but has put off the replacement due to other health issues and also due to the number of people we personally know who have not had good outcomes. Seems that these are completely successful or not. Please be careful on steps---falls at our age are nothing to take lightly. I'm terrified of falling which doesn't take much these days.

Bailey View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2017 at 4:35pm
Hi Edie,

I too am so happy your doctor listened to reason. It's hard enough dealing with chronic pain, even with the meds. Not such good news on the knee replacement. Maybe a beautiful cane could provide a little extra stability?
Cervical Facet arthritis
Chronic Pain Syndrome
Edie View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2017 at 1:15am
Thanks Stevie, I still would recommend the knee replacement. My case was something out of the ordinary, and even yet, I still feel so much better then when it was bone on bone. I can walk no, and when I can walk, every thing is alright for me.

Thanks Bailey. Oh I do have the cane. Even when I appear to walk OK, I won't take chances. If it is a moderate walk, the cane goes with me, and sometimes even a knee binder to keep things from flopping around. It is kind of like wearing a bra.

Take care you all,

Lumbar T12-L1 to L5-S1.
It is all non operable.

Other conditions
TKR R Knee.
Torn ACL, MCL L knee,
Pain on legs and calves
Deep vein thrombosis
Migraine headaches
COPD
Hypertension
Jeff View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2014-2018

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2017 at 6:31pm
Hello all,

I'm also putting off knee replacement. A friend of mine who is ex-military and with the 82nd airborne with dozens of jumps in Iraq who has had 10 spine surgeries called me just about the time I was planning surgery and told me that knee replacement was no joke, about 10 times worse than his most painful spine surgery, that he didn't sleep for 3 months after surgery, waking up in pain 10-20 times a night, then asked the doctor half way through recovery if he could put his old knee back in.  He said its a ton of work through PT.  Also,  rheumatologist in the same office as mine told me he has been bone/bone for 10 years and is not having his knee done until they get a better procedure or implant that works for 100% of patients.  He said at least 1 in 10 regret ever having the knee replacement and that was bad enough for him to keep putting up with it.

I'm personally putting off my knee replacement after hearing that feedback and reading about case histories online.  I'm getting SynVisc shots every 6 months and steroid shots in between those and am getting by with a cane for distances up to 50 feet, a walker for distances up to 100-200 feet, and a wheelchair beyond that.  Around the house I can move room to room without anything, but at times I fall into the wall so I "hug" the wall most of the time I'm moving (and often regret it when moving and not hugging it).

I also now need a big toe fusion with rods and screws.  The foot doctor (an MD with fellowship and internship at top schools, not a DPM) said my big toe was completely worn out with a large spur growing into my foot.  I've been using a post-op sandal for 2-3 years now because of that and had no idea it was so bad.  He said actually both my feet have worn out big toes and bone spurs, but since I'm not having any problems yet with right foot, and only have pain with my left, that he didn't recommend getting it done until it hurts.  Not sure what I'm going to do about that but at least I know now why my foot hurts like the devil at times.  The x-ray looked terrifying.
Ankylosing spondylitis resulting in fusion of entire cervical, thoracic, lumbar, and SI joints, osteoporosis, 5 compression fractures, severe stenosis of spinal cord & nerve root compression, cervical myelopathy, radiculopathy, bruise & permanent deformation of spinal cord, incomplete spinal cord injury, postlaminectomy syndrome of cervical region, chronic nerve and orthopedic severe pain, and bilateral carpal tunnel. Asthma, GERD, high blood pressure, high tryglycrides, diverticulosis, recurrent pneumonia, anemia, hypertension, chronic dry eye and mouth. Need hip & knee replacement and fusion of both feet. Already had 11 surgeries including 5 orthopedic & 1 neurosurgery.

Edie View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2017 at 2:32pm
Hi everybody.
It has been a long time since I posted here. Now I have a question, and wonder if anybody have any ideas about this.

I've been having lots of pain on my low, L side. My doctor ordered a Lumbar MRI. This MRI shows presence of arthritis in the area. Facet arthritis, disc bulging, L5nerve root compression. This completes the extension of the disease through out the whole length of my back now. Sacroiliac is still intact.

My doctor then referred me to a pain doctor. This doctor sent me an appointment for an ESI for next week. The problem is that I am also having problems with my L foot, and I am due for a steroid injection on it. I was waiting to get it in a couple of months. Now I don't know, if I get an epidural now, can I still get a steroid injection in a couple of months? I called the pain office to talk to the doctor, but the person who answered told me that it would be OK to do that, but I am still not sure. What do you think? Is it OK to get an ESI followed by a Steroid Infection so close to each other time wise?

For a little update on my situation. I am not doing so good. The pain due to my cervical and thoracic arthritis gets worse and worse. There will be no increase in medication anymore. I am lucky to be getting what I am getting, that helps a little bit.The disease has reached my L foot and it  is making it more difficult to walk. It has has also reached my lumbar spine, as I mentioned above.

BP continues to be a problem, and the medicines cause me lots of pain on the legs, stomach discomfort  and chronic headache. I have tried many different ones, and all do the same. I tried some diuretic types, but those cause me vertigo, frequent urination, extreme thirst, and frequent cramps on my fingers and toes. The cramps are the worst.

I still have the problem with hyperventilation. I take anxiety and sleep medication, which help me relax and sleep. But these pills  makes matters worst, as they make me feel so tired all the time, but I could no sleep without them.

We have had to stop traveling now, as neither my husband or I can handle it anymore. I want so much to go see my family in Panama one more time, but this trip is so far and so difficult, and I have not been able to dare try it. I am thinking to try, maybe next march. I will try the most I can. If I don't go this time, I will never be able to see my family again, which would be very sad.

My whole body hurts all the time. I feel drained, and I have no energy for anything.
Even so, I am trying to get ready to have a get together with the family for Christmas. It was not easy, buy finally I got everything ready, except for the food that will be served that day.

Take care all, don't have too much pain. I am always thinking of you all.
Merry Christmas!

Lumbar T12-L1 to L5-S1.
It is all non operable.

Other conditions
TKR R Knee.
Torn ACL, MCL L knee,
Pain on legs and calves
Deep vein thrombosis
Migraine headaches
COPD
Hypertension
Denny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2017 at 2:43pm
Merry Christmas!
The holidays usually cause such a flare.
I hope your okay!
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2017 at 3:49pm
Edie—-

You know how I feel about steroids and especially when used for the lumbar conditions you’ve described. We both know that any relief is going to be temporary. As much as I hate to say this, I think it’s time for a surgical consultation as it may be the best answer to pain relief in this one area of your spine.

I’m sorry that you aren’t able to get back to Panama. I’m also so aware of the issues surrounding these BP meds. I tried adding a diuretic to my Lisinopril and was so sick for three weeks I had to stop. Crazy GI issues and weakness.

I’m also feeling the stress of the Holidays since my Mom passed last month. I have spent too much time sleeping and so hoping that we can all have the best Christmas possible. Hugs to you.

Edie View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2017 at 11:55pm
Thank you Denny, it sure seems to be that way.

Stevie.. The only thing that worries me about turning down the injections is that, they may use that as an excuse to take away my medication. I will try to talk with the doctor before proceeding. He has given me these same injections before, but on the neck. The didn't work. I was supposed to get 3, but after the second one, he himself decided to stop the treatment, as if seemed that it was going to be of no use. Will see.

I wanted to know if it would be OK to get a steroid injection on the foot, just a couple of months after getting a series of 3 epidurals. I ask before because, I know one is not supposed to get more then 3 or 4 steroid injections a year, and I am not sure if an epidural would be considered the same as regular steroid shot.

I am sorry Stevie you are going through these tough times. Holidays, especially the first one, after losing a love one are the worse. It will be hard, but you will make it OK. Usually, we start to feel better as soon as the special day passes. I wish you the best...edie

Lumbar T12-L1 to L5-S1.
It is all non operable.

Other conditions
TKR R Knee.
Torn ACL, MCL L knee,
Pain on legs and calves
Deep vein thrombosis
Migraine headaches
COPD
Hypertension
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2017 at 10:31am
Edie—-

I’m thinking that if it’s only been a few months since last series of 3 ESI’s, another one plus your foot sounds like a lot to me. I know they are supposed to keep track of how much you’ve had but I also know that they “think” these injections are no big deal when we know the FDA has come out against them. We have an article about this on the site—- maybe do a search or look in Pain Management and Pain Meditation section. I think I posted it as a sticky.

Good luck Edie and thank you for your kind words.

Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2017 at 10:33am
Yes—article is where I thought—“FDA warns of dangers of ESI injections “. 2014

Edie View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2017 at 5:32pm
Thanks, I will take a look.

I called both the Orthopedics and the Pain Clinic was told at both places that injecting the foot right after a series of epidurals would not be a problem. They said it is OK to have a Steroid injection following a series of epidurals as long as that injection is in a different part of the body than were you got the epidurals.

Lumbar T12-L1 to L5-S1.
It is all non operable.

Other conditions
TKR R Knee.
Torn ACL, MCL L knee,
Pain on legs and calves
Deep vein thrombosis
Migraine headaches
COPD
Hypertension
Jeff View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2014-2018

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2017 at 3:02am
I good friend of mine is in his 50's like me and has had as many steroid injections as I have, and we both are developing cataracts and having trouble with our vision, so the risk isn't just in some statistics.  I also knew of someone who had a hip replacement due to avascular neucrosis from what was believed to be excessive steroid injections, so heed the warnings and at least go into them with eyes wide open.  I look at every thing in terms of risk/reward ratio, and from about 20 different steroid injections I've gotten over the years, only one to my knee did any good, and it was almost like an immediate miracle as I went from having knee pain to walking normal right afterwards, but that is only 2.5% success rate, and I'm 100% sure I have cataracts forming as 2 different eye doctors have diagnosed me, so that risk/reward ratio isn't very good for me personally, so just be sure you feel in your case that you have a good chance of getting good results from the steroids.
Ankylosing spondylitis resulting in fusion of entire cervical, thoracic, lumbar, and SI joints, osteoporosis, 5 compression fractures, severe stenosis of spinal cord & nerve root compression, cervical myelopathy, radiculopathy, bruise & permanent deformation of spinal cord, incomplete spinal cord injury, postlaminectomy syndrome of cervical region, chronic nerve and orthopedic severe pain, and bilateral carpal tunnel. Asthma, GERD, high blood pressure, high tryglycrides, diverticulosis, recurrent pneumonia, anemia, hypertension, chronic dry eye and mouth. Need hip & knee replacement and fusion of both feet. Already had 11 surgeries including 5 orthopedic & 1 neurosurgery.

Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2017 at 11:17pm
Edie

I agree with everything Jeff said   

We all need to fight for safe and effective treatments. Stop the damn injections and other bogus so called pain miracles because we don’t have them yet.

Please be safe. I’m fearful for all of us in true chronic pain who are told that these so-called treatments are going to help only to find as time passes that we are harmed. And the sad part is that there are no studies that I have seen that narcotics used properly long term cause harm.

The harm comes from having to live in constant pain. That stress leads to more medical issues than I have time to post. But, we all know that already

Edie View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2017 at 9:29pm
Thank you guys for the suggestions.

I have always known of the harm steroid injections can cause the body. That is why I have been frantically trying to find out if having a bunch like this together was a good idea. I was surprised when my doctor, knowing my pain history, referred me to this pain doctor, who is known for his use of epidural as his primary treatment. I got the appointment through my medical portal, so I wasn't able to discuss the situation face to face with him. I could call him and try to talk with him, but I will just wait for the appointment, and talk with that pain doctor before going through with it.

I have used these injections in the past. They have been of great benefit, but only when used on the knee or the foot. I've never used more than two a year. I don't understand when I hear people I know, who have bad knees or hips, and when I ask them if they plan to have surgery, they tell me they don't need to because their doctor will give them an injection any time they need it. This makes me cringe.

Lumbar T12-L1 to L5-S1.
It is all non operable.

Other conditions
TKR R Knee.
Torn ACL, MCL L knee,
Pain on legs and calves
Deep vein thrombosis
Migraine headaches
COPD
Hypertension