Advertise
With Us 
ChronicPainSite.com Foundation, Inc Personal Homepage
Please, if you have not Donated lately we need your help.
Click here to find out how YOU can help
  Advertise
With Us 

FAQ FAQ   Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

To Our FB page      

Login
Register
---------
ChronicPainSite.com Foundation, Inc
RULES
Navigation
Main Page
Forum Home
About Us
Site Information
Our Advisors
Articles Home
Faces of Pain
Recipe Section
No Pain Pain Scale No Pain

FAQ
Member Control Panel
Login
Register
Walking Conversion Chart

DC's Stories

CP Man Stories

Donate

Neck Pain

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Edie View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Neck Pain
    Posted: Sep/05/2009 at 9:44pm
Hi everybody.
Well, I'm not exactly new since I have already have posts in the Chronic Pain and Pain Medication area. But, I'm new enough that I'm not sure where to post different things. I posted MY Story in the Biography area, but I don't even know if that is where this kind of posts go.

Anyway, I wanted to move here because, since I'm a Necky, I think this is where I belong.
I have already said everything about me in my other posts, so I will try to give just of short version here.

I suffered from neck pain since 2000. I was diagnosed first with DDD, and bone spurs in my cervical spine, another neurosurgeon diagnosis was Cervical Radiculopathy Secondary to Degenerative Disease, and also bone spurs in the cervical spine. He did not recommend surgery. He said that surgeries for this condtion usually don't work because due to the degenerative nature of the disease, the problem would continue after surgery.

By 2007 the pain became umberable. It started to affect my performance at work, and also at home. My life as it was, was no more. I had to take early retirement, and seek SS Disability, which was granted. Physical therapy, Chiropractors, Acupuncture didn't help. I then started working with my physician who went straight to low doses of ER Opioids. I tried them all, but I could not tolerate them. After a long list of trial and error, we ended up with Gabapentin and Morphine Sulfate. This meds help me keep going without too much suffering.

The drastic changes in my life and the pain, led to insomnia. These things combined led to anxiety and depression. My Dr and I found medications to help the insomnia and anxiety, but I cant't tolerate the antidepressants side effects, so I'm not using any at this point.

My health experience and my pain doesn't seem as great as others I seen in these forums, but to me my pain is unbearable, and its real. I try to compliment the drugs I take by doing every type of unconventional treaments that I know of,  like: Exercise, Moist hot packs, Cold packs, Jells, like Biofreeze or Ultra Balm, Tens unit, Hot showers, Saunas (we have our own). Like Stevie, I also get a massage every 2 weeks, (my daughter is a Massage Therapist, and she comes to my house to do them). I also use a Homedics Massage machine. There is also a guy, who gives 20 min. chair massages for $20.00, at the Mall. So, I go to him whenever I go shopping.

Thanks for listening
Edie
Chronic pain throughout the spine caused by osteoarthritis (DDD). Started at neck, spread to thoracic, and lately to lumbar area. Most of my spine is affected by bulges, disc height loss and dehydration, bone spurs, annular tears, foraminal stenosis, probable nerve impingement, and degeneration at end plates and facets.

The disease extends from Cervical C2-3 to C7-T1. Thoracic T4 to T10.
Lumbar T12-L1 to L5-S1.
It is all non operable.

Other conditions
TKR R Knee.
Torn ACL, MCL L knee,
Pain on legs and calves
Deep vein thrombosis
Migraine headaches
Painful spots all over scalp
COPD
Hypertension
Chronic Hyperventilation. Caused by anxiety or stress
Chronic depression and insomnia
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2009 at 10:37pm
Hi Edie,

I so feel for you, because you and I are going through much of the same thing. 

We started a forum called "The Walking Wounded" and in it I described why we did it and I also did a thread about my own cervical issues called "My Struggle with Acceptance".  So, it is all there.

But the one thing that I do want to say to you is that I know how very real and unbearable your pain is, physically and emotionally.

I also want to stress something here----never, ever compare yourself to anyone else you read about on these forums.

Even as a health care professional, I never really liked the "pain scale" of 1-10.  I think that it has merits on an individual basis so that a person can track their own pain and know how they are doing.  But we can not compare our pain to any one else's, as my 5 could be someone else's 8. 

I am very glad that you shared your story with us.  And even happier that you are here, as you can help a lot of other people in this journey toward acceptance and living the best life possible even though in pain.  Thank you Edie, Stevie 

Please donate to help Chronicpainsite.com continue to help others.

My journey with chronic pain began over 30 years ago, while as a young nurse working spinal rehab, I injured my back lifting a patient. I am now fused from L2-S1. I have multiple thoracic and cervical issues. I'm a retired RN/PA and I know and understand the frustrations on both ends of the treatment spectrum of dealing with CP. It's been my goal since 2008, when we started this site, to reach out and help as many people in pain as possible. We will continue the fight as long as we can. Please, if you can help us continue to help you and others, donate. Thank you.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2009 at 10:03am
Edie,

I have to agree 100% with everything that Stevie just said! Go check out the "Walking Wounded" forum, you will fit right in there, and Stevie's story is quite inspirational.

Another thing that Stevie is so right about, we don't compare pains here! We are all in chronic and/or intractable pain! Certain days someone might have a flare up and her pain is worst than mine for that day, but we should never compare it.

This is our "boat", we are all in it! All of us have conditions that give us chronic pain and as one of the passengers, you are just like the rest of us! Thumbs%20Up Take care and thanks for sharing your story with all of us.

Millie Heart
Edie View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Edie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2009 at 8:16pm
Thanks Millie and Stevie. I did check the "Walking Wounded Forum", and if fact, I have checked this site and most of the posts in all the areas of interest to me. I have learned a lot. Reading the posts has been very inspiring. I see there are so many people out there living in pain. Seeing how they have managed to make it through their struggle has given me the strength to pick myself up and try to enjoy what's left of my broken up life.

I have overcomed my denial and I'm starting to accept the fact that I have to live on medications. But I still have a problem. I think constantly about my pain. I wich I could put it out of my mind for awhile. If I could do that, maybe I wouldn't feel so down all the time.

Thank you
Edie

Chronic pain throughout the spine caused by osteoarthritis (DDD). Started at neck, spread to thoracic, and lately to lumbar area. Most of my spine is affected by bulges, disc height loss and dehydration, bone spurs, annular tears, foraminal stenosis, probable nerve impingement, and degeneration at end plates and facets.

Lumbar T12-L1 to L5-S1.
It is all non operable.

Other conditions
TKR R Knee.
Torn ACL, MCL L knee,
Pain on legs and calves
Deep vein thrombosis
Migraine headaches
COPD
Hypertension
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2009 at 9:12pm
Edie,
I think a lot of us have that issue........ I was supposed to start school now in September due to the same reason; to get out of the house, and have something else to think about, you know??! Ermm But the new diagnosis that I got about two months ago, put those plans on hold....

But, I will go back as soon as things are square off and better for me.
Is there a community college close to you or something like that? I was looking at the Miami Dade Community College and they have this classes in baking, pastillage (making sugar flowers), fondant and all that kind of stuff  that I will love to learn so I am going to call next week to see if I can start doing one of those classes....
What don't you do the same? Maybe getting out of the house a couple of days a week, to learn something fun that you like, will get your mind off the pain!
Maybe making flower arrangements, line dancing, a foreign language, baking, cooking, so many things out there....!

These classes that I am talking about, are only twice a week for 2 hours a day, so they are not that bad on someone like me or you that are in pain. So check out what's available in your community, and see if there is something that will interest you, you never know, it could become something that can be used to make extra income $$ and as you know, that is always needed! Wink
So there are some ideas..... What do you think???

Millie Wink
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2009 at 11:03pm
Edie

Honey, keep trying to work with your doctor to find the right formula of medications that will work for you to maybe not get rid of the pain (I don't think that we ever really get to that point or we would all be unconscious), but to make you comfortable so that this is not on your mind constantly.

We strive to make the pain bearable and to go on to this new chapter in our lives. 

I HATE what I deal with.  Yes, I have accepted it.  But you know what?  Just when I think that I have "it" licked, that I kind of have my life in some sort of order, the rug gets pulled out from underneath me, and I have to regroup, re-do the medications, maybe spend some real  down time, etc.

This does not mean that I have not accepted my fate.  It means that I have to take a huge breath, wipe the tears away, and go onto the next step.

Edie.  You must NOT be thinking about your pain all of the time.  If you are, you are not medicated properly.  I DO know how awful it is to find the right combinations of meds that will give you some relief but not make you sick or unable to function. 

You are not alone.  You need to find someone who can work with you on this, and honey---you are going to have to take the time to allow your body to deal with the side effects as hard as that is.

I just recently had to increase my Lyrica by only 25mg a day.  I wanted to give up after about 3 days.  A very dear friend of mine told me to hang on for a little longer.

I am very glad.  It has worked and I am feeling better.  I needed that support and I will never forget that wonderful friend who stood by me.  I really do get it Edie.  Stevie

My journey with chronic pain began over 30 years ago, while as a young nurse working spinal rehab, I injured my back lifting a patient. I am now fused from L2-S1. I have multiple thoracic and cervical issues. I'm a retired RN/PA and I know and understand the frustrations on both ends of the treatment spectrum of dealing with CP. It's been my goal since 2008, when we started this site, to reach out and help as many people in pain as possible. We will continue the fight as long as we can. Please, if you can help us continue to help you and others, donate. Thank you.
TKDmomOF3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TKDmomOF3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2009 at 8:54am
Edie,
I know exactly what your mean.  I get in the rut of thinking about pain and meds every so often.  I even made a list: Things that take my mind away from pain.  Its funny, something as sipmle as playing a board game with my son can work miracles....but when I'm in that mind set I'd never think about it.   I just said yesterday that we need to 'do' something today....go to the beach for a walk (to cold for swimming) or build a castle, go to a park, etc. 
I like Millies idea of finding some class or even a hobby.  I know the township rec. program here offers scrapbooking, ceramics, and others for just a minimal registration fee.
Good luck.
Anna
Injured 9/06 herniated L5-S1,2/07 Micro-D;disk colapsed,Discogram 4/08**Surgery:360 fusion w/ hardware L5-S1 on 5/12/08** Had a SCS 7/2009, was great while it lasted, removed 4/2011, the lead moved. Tapered off pain meds 5/2011...8 months later the pain had gotten so high, I slowly went back on fentynal patch with norco for breakthrough. Out of work sinc 11/1/10.

"If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of." -- Bruce Lee
Edie View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2009 at 1:54pm
Thanks every body for your suggestions. I do try keep busy. Now in the summer, I work in my gardened, but only a little bit of a time. I try to get out of the house once in awhile even if is just to go shopping. I wanted to do some kind of volunteer work, but I don't dare to commit myself since I never know how I will feel when I get up in the morning. Right now I am learning to speak Italian. I take these classes on line. But I put them on CD's so I can listen without having to sit at the computer for very long. It's hard to study when you can't remember very much).

My husband doesn't understand what's happening to me. He expects me to go out, or do things around the house as I normally did them, if I ask him to rub my neck, he grumbles about it. Just the other night I was telling him how it helped me to talk with you people about my problem, and how much better I felt after I took the medication. He said he didn't believe in this chronic pain deal. He said anybody who has to take pills every day is an addict. I told him, don't you see what happens when I don't take mine? To what he responded. Precisely, they make you feel better because you are addicted to them.

And so goes my saga...

Lumbar T12-L1 to L5-S1.
It is all non operable.

Other conditions
TKR R Knee.
Torn ACL, MCL L knee,
Pain on legs and calves
Deep vein thrombosis
Migraine headaches
COPD
Hypertension
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2009 at 2:35pm
Edie,

I don't have a husband (I am a widow), but I have her the same story over and over and over again, from married gals, married men and even people that just have mother's, sister's, etc. that do not support them, that they believe that this chronic pain thing is all BS, and that we are all a bunch of addicts!!!! AngryAngryAngry

Has your husband ever been with you to a Pain Management appointment? Has ever heard the Doctor tell you how bad you are doing and why you need to take these medications? Would he be open to go inside the examination room with you if he hasn't done it before? I ask you because even though my Mother is a very open minded woman, when I started on this road of CP, and taking medications, she kind off resisted a little bit and made a comment or two about me taking opiods.
Well....... I told her; "Mom, why don't you start coming with me to all of these appointments? And she did! She has been there for my medications changes (all of them!), from Lortab to Methadone! She has been there for all of the spinal injection, trigger point shots and even my SCS trial! My Doctor a wonderful man from Colombia, loves my Mom, and as he explains to me about a new medication, he also explains my mother... so that has open her heart and mind to my condition, and is now my number 1 advocate!

I know that men are a bit different than women..... :::rolling my eyes::::, but maybe if he goes in, if he hasn't done it before, this will change his mind. Another tool that we have in this site is the " Letter to Normals From Someone in Chronic Pain". This letter Judy posted a while back, and you can find it in the "Medical Information & More" forum. I printed a couple of those letter's to give to some friends and my sister's, etc. so they will see what I go through day in and day out.
Print that letter, and give it to him...... see if that will change his heart.

My mother, like probably your husband, is Hispanic (is he?), and as you know, if someone has a close mind about opiods is our race!!! So if it happened with my Mother, it could happened to your husband hun.......... Try it and see what happens. You have nothing to loose! I hope and pray that it works.

Millie Hug
JulieA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JulieA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2009 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by edie edie wrote:

I don't get a lot of support from my husband. He expects me to go out, or do things around the house as I normally did them, if I ask him to rub my neck, he grumbbles about it. Just the other night I was telling him how it helped me to talk with you people about my problem, and how much better I felt after I took the medication. He said he didn't believe in this chronic pain deal. He said anybody who has to take pills every day is an addict. I told him, don't you see what happens when I don't take mine? To what he responded. Precisely, they make you feel better because you are addicted to them.

And so goes my saga...
He needs to read the letter to normals. I gave it to mine last summer before my PLIF.

Edie I have a similar problem with my husband. Last weekend he told me that my back/neck didin't hurt. Not like his (he was sore from coughing with the swine flu and I had said "welcome to my world"... That led to a nice fight from me. I was sick as well as being in pain from my neck (arms/hands etc).

Then I saw my NS Thursday and he found out I wasn't making it up..... I wanted to kick him in the BALLS! I still do.  I shouldn't have to to have a surgical recomendation for sympathy. Geeze these are our husbands. We are on "the same team".... I would like to see this man manage with out me.  The sad fact is that he is "helpless" much more than my handicap self. Sure he goes to work but outside of his job he is as helpless as a new baby!

Mine doesn't mind the pain pills and agrees they help me. He doesn't like pain himself and has put his back out once in awhile. Last time he moved the fridge he was down for a couple of weeks.

OK- I am done husband bashing for now! Chin up! We have been married for 17 years now and I have earned the right to bash now and again Tongue

He is off on vacation for the next week. He is going to drive me to drink. Working from home has it's draw backs.

Edie maybe you can take him along on your next dr visit so he can get an understanding. It is hard enough that most "normals" don't understand but your husband needs to get on the right page.

Hang in the honey.

MRI 12/07 L4-5 Herniated w/Nerve Impingment. L5/S1 Posterior Central Protrusions- indents @Thecal Sac. L4/S1 Moderate Facet Anthropy. 6/08 MRI and Flexion Extension Xrays- revealed grade 3 Retrolisthesis L5/S1, Spondy L4>>>> L4-S1 PLIF

New issues Cervical May 2009 Happy Happy Joy Joy
Edie View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2009 at 12:18am
Thanks Stevie and JuliA,

Stevie, I will look up the "Letters to normals from someone in chronic pain". No, my husband is not Hispanic, he is a full blodded Finlander. He has not gone with me to the Dr. I don't think it would change his mind. He has seen me in my misery, in those days when the pain was so bad I could barely move. Specially on the time when I was trying to cut down on my meds, and he still thinks all I need is an Ibiuprofen.

JuliaA, sorry to hear about the fight with your husband. Men! They can be so insensitive some times. I wonder how they would react if the shoe were on the other foot.

My husband and I are both retired. He retired before I did, and I retired 2 years ago. So for 2 years we've been together all the time. It can be a burden at times, but when he is not around, I so miss the rascal.

Thank you so much for your words of support.

Lumbar T12-L1 to L5-S1.
It is all non operable.

Other conditions
TKR R Knee.
Torn ACL, MCL L knee,
Pain on legs and calves
Deep vein thrombosis
Migraine headaches
COPD
Hypertension
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2009 at 1:04am
Wink Hey Edie, it was me Millie, But that is OK, you can call me Stevie any time!! Approve But, you know what, sometimes it doesn't matter were anyone is from, when they are against opiods, they are and that is it, PERIOD! But, it might be nice if he goes with you to want of your PM appointments............. but it sounds that it might be easier to change the color of the sky, before getting him to your appts. huh? Ermm Yes, look up at the letter to normals and see if giving him one of those letters, might do change his mind......

Julie, I have heard this same issues with wives, so is not the men only that do not get it! Is people that have never had to go through the pain of taking opiod medications. I always say, that maybe God will show them one of these day how bad it is to leave in this kind of pain....... and then they will come and apologize to us! Is just a wish....... Confused maybe some day!!

Take care ladies,

Millie Hug
Rocken Roni View Drop Down
Charter - Member
Charter - Member
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocken Roni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2009 at 1:27am
Hi Edie and Julie A,

I want to stick up for the good Husbands out there. I'm not bragging. This is how it is at my house.

The SYSOP, John is my husband, and when I met him he could make sandwiches, or a casserole which consisted of 4 cans of beans heated up in a casserole dish WA LA!! I seen John really splurge when he went to 7-eleven and got 4 warm hot dogs and a 6 pack of beer for our supper. Humm no wonder he's so skinny I thought. Well.... We ended up together a few months after I got hurt.

I started giving John some cooking tips, which gradually turned into cooking. I couldn't cook any more so I told him what to do and he did a great job. I knew John was ready to be on his own when he cooked his first Thanks Giving four course Turkey Dinner.

Since I was trying to work in such pain John made sure when I got home everything was ready for me to relax and then when I slept so did John as I was on shift work. when he woke me to get up for work he had my lunch ready for work and something always for supper or breakfast whatever. I would go back to work and John would go to my computer and teach himself how to do what he does today on his computer. That's how it all started.

I'm still in alot of pain off and on. John regulates my meds as I can't remember most of the time, it's just easier w John. He goes to the Dr w me where the Doc always has a stool ready for John to sit on, and we as a team, the 3 of us talk about how things are going. John makes a pain diary for my Doc to see how I've been since my last visit and at a glance my doc can see any changes in nerve pain, etc.

At home now that I don't work, everything is the same but now I do crafts and I'm starting to get out a bit w my girlfriend, but winter is close so I'll be back to crafts till spring.

John keeps my water glass full w ice, he washes cloths, entertains well. He is even taking care of Stevie and Pete. John is not whipped. He is just a very special person and If I'm in pain he feels very bad for me or any one else, He waits on you if he knows your in pain. That's just the kind of person he is. YAY for the Good Guys!!

I hope your guys some how find it in their hearts to accept what chronic pain is an show yous some respect and give yous the support yous need.

Until one has felt the Love of an animal,
a part of their Soul remains Unawakened.

Unknown

1st injured Feb, 1997. Was told it was "Soft Tissue" and sent back to work - no X-rays
Late 1997 attended 1st Rehab Program to strengthen back. Mid 98 PCP took me off work. Tried going back to work over the next couple years, mostly off work due to pain.
June 2000, met with OS for first time. Did MRI , damage was L5-S1 totally blown out. Surgery done Jan, 2001.
Another Rehab program late 2001, attempted to go back to work early 2002. Slipped on water, fell flat on back screw fusion broke.
Went to 3rd Rehab program summer 2002.
Oct 2003 - 2nd Surgery, due to broken screw, had to operate from the front.
No improvement. Attended 4th Rehab program in 2004, at time It was decided NO work.
March 2006, had 3rd Surgery, this time fusion and instrumentation from Si to L3.
June 2008 Surgeon finally admitted I had Failed Back Surgery.
August 2009 WCB Finally put me on Long Term Disability
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2009 at 1:49am
Ronni,
You are probably one of the exemptions to the rule! And yes, you are very lucky that you have a good man next to you! Not everyone has a John and a lot of other members live alone and they have to do things on their own.....even some of the one's with partners, have to do everything on their own, because they do not have the support that they need! 
Now, what we need to figure out, is how to help our members like Edie and Julie and many other's that don't have a man, a woman or parents and family members that do not understand chronic pain next to them..... It is sad, and I do understand were they are coming from... Unhappy.

Like I said, is not only husband's. I have heard of wives and parents also that do not understand the chronic pain that their partner's or kids are sufferering from, and that to alleviate their awful pain, they actually need to take narcotic medications!  It is something that needs to be resolve somehow... I just hope that we can give our members going through these issues moral support so they can maybe have their husbands, wives, parents and/or family members to change their minds about opiods and other narcotic medications.

Hang in there ladies and gentlemen! We will be here to support you, OK?

Millie Hug

Edited by LumbarLady - Sep/08/2009 at 3:20am
Tinkerbell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinkerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2009 at 6:56am
Originally posted by Rocken Roni Rocken Roni wrote:

Hi Edie and Julie A,

I want to stick up for the good Husbands out there. I'm not bragging. This is how it is at my house.

The SYSOP, John is my husband, and when I met him he could make sandwiches, or a casserole which consisted of 4 cans of beans heated up in a casserole dish WA LA!! I seen John really splurge when he went to 7-eleven and got 4 warm hot dogs and a 6 pack of beer for our supper. Humm no wonder he's so skinny I thought. Well.... We ended up together a few months after I got hurt.

I started giving John some cooking tips, which gradually turned into cooking. I couldn't cook any more so I told him what to do and he did a great job. I knew John was ready to be on his own when he cooked his first Thanks Giving four course Turkey Dinner.

Since I was trying to work in such pain John made sure when I got home everything was ready for me to relax and then when I slept so did John as I was on shift work. when he woke me to get up for work he had my lunch ready for work and something always for supper or breakfast whatever. I would go back to work and John would go to my computer and teach himself how to do what he does today on his computer. That's how it all started.

I'm still in alot of pain off and on. John regulates my meds as I can't remember most of the time, it's just easier w John. He goes to the Dr w me where the Doc always has a stool ready for John to sit on, and we as a team, the 3 of us talk about how things are going. John makes a pain diary for my Doc to see how I've been since my last visit and at a glance my doc can see any changes in nerve pain, etc.

At home now that I don't work, everything is the same but now I do crafts and I'm starting to get out a bit w my girlfriend, but winter is close so I'll be back to crafts till spring.

John keeps my water glass full w ice, he washes cloths, entertains well. He is even taking care of Stevie and Pete. John is not whipped. He is just a very special person and If I'm in pain he feels very bad for me or any one else, He waits on you if he knows your in pain. That's just the kind of person he is. YAY for the Good Guys!!

I hope your guys some how find it in their hearts to accept what chronic pain is an show yous some respect and give yous the support yous need.

Julie and Edie, I can't imagine what you ladies are going through with your husbands, definitely taking them with you to appointments can be a real eye opener, hearing it from a professional seems to make it more "real" I guess.

Roni you definitely are a lucky woman, our Sysop is a very caring and wonderful man, and I'm lucky to have one too.  He cooks, cleans, does laundry and it goes on, never with any grumbling or moaning, he just does it.  I pray we're not in the minority or an acception to the rule, that would be too sad.

But Millie is so right, it's not just the spouses, we've read countless times here about other family members having a fit because some one is on opiods for their pain.  I'm afraid that education is the only way to get through to some of these people, I say some, because not everyone will change unfortunately.

We will always be here for those that aren't receiving the support that everyone deserves while suffering with chronic pain, because we know, and because we care, so please, don't ever feel that you're alone and no one understands.
I pray that your husbands will one day soon fully realize and understand, as I can't imagine the stress this must play with your pain.

Take care
Donna
L1/L2 protrusion with a piece migrating
L4/L5 small bulge
L5/S1 bone on bone, non-operable
DDD and osteoarthritis
2000 disc herniation L5-S1 had micro discectomy, failed. Right leg/foot numbness & sciatica. Permanent nerve damage in right leg/foot along with radiculopathy and neuropathic pain and Drop foot.
SI Joint & Facet Joint Injections with some relief.

NATIONAL SUICIDE HELPLINE 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
http://www.crisisclinic.org/
IN THE UK 0845790 90 90
http://www.samaritans.org/

For help for many things...
Canada: http://www.211Canada.ca/
U.S.: http://www.211.org/
TKDmomOF3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TKDmomOF3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2009 at 7:36am
Edie,
I'm sorry to hear that your husband is so opposed to the pain meds that help you get by.  I think taking him to your appts. might be a good thing. 
I too am very lucky to have a wonderful and supportive husband.  He won't just do the things that need doing, but asks for a list.  At first it bugged me to have to ask him to vacuumeand do things that we obvious to me, but I came to realize that its because we see things differently.  And he is willing to do it, he just doesn't have the same urgency I do either.  So, I ask him to do the chores for the day; if there is more than one I write it down.  He does just about everything at home.  The two chores I still do all the time are cooking and laundry.  Although with laundry  I will often have my husband move it from the washer to the dryer then bring it up to my bed so I can fold it without bending too much.  
He come with me to many appts.  Not all of them at this point, but anytime we think there will be new info or a decision to make, and anyother time if its been a while.  We try to do something together often, even if its laying on a chaise outside reading books with a glass of iced tea. 
I do hope that your husband takes sometime to understand what good pain management does for you. 
Anna
Injured 9/06 herniated L5-S1,2/07 Micro-D;disk colapsed,Discogram 4/08**Surgery:360 fusion w/ hardware L5-S1 on 5/12/08** Had a SCS 7/2009, was great while it lasted, removed 4/2011, the lead moved. Tapered off pain meds 5/2011...8 months later the pain had gotten so high, I slowly went back on fentynal patch with norco for breakthrough. Out of work sinc 11/1/10.

"If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of." -- Bruce Lee
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2009 at 9:26am
It would appear that Roni is not the exception to the rule. Others here are also very lucky to have caring and supportive spouses/partners.

The main thing is to try to get your spouse involved in your pain management.  The very best way to do this is to get them to go to as many appointments with you as possible.  They must hear from your health care provider what it is that you are dealing with.  You just telling them is not going to work.

Thank them for doing things for you that help.  Let them know how much it means to you for them to get up and bring you your pain med and something to eat or drink.

None of this is easy.  Remember this-------some men and women too, do not KNOW how to help.  They get frustrated by seeing us in pain, and that turns to feelings of helplessness in not knowing how to "fix it".  If they can't fix it, they become angry and then take it out on us.

So, look at some of the behavior patterns that way. 

I understand that it is very hurtful when we are in pain and feel resentment building.  We need to try to figure out where that is coming from, and by having partners go to those appointments is a first step in accepting where we are and what we are dealing with.   Stevie

JulieA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JulieA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2009 at 12:25pm
Stevie is right with if "they can't fix it they get angry". I think my husband was ill and hurting and took it out on me. Something I never do (NOT). 

My husband was great yesterday. We went to a movie and then food shopping. He pushed the cart and carried the bags upstairs to the kitchen. He has been off since Thursday of last week and is finally feeling better.

I do have some friends that do not understand. I do not mention much to them.  With my family though I am sure they get tired of hearing about my various health issues. When I told my teen daughter that I was going to have another fusion she rolled her eyes and shook her head. Then she looked at her dad and said "why does mom always have to be sick all the time?". She is usually very supportive but this stuff is hard on every one.

Edie I was thinking about you. Are you financially able to hire a house keeper? If you can speak to your husband about it and you can get some one in 1-2 days a week then you might be able to enjoy some time doing things that you presently can't due to the pain that comes from keeping up the house.

MRI 12/07 L4-5 Herniated w/Nerve Impingment. L5/S1 Posterior Central Protrusions- indents @Thecal Sac. L4/S1 Moderate Facet Anthropy. 6/08 MRI and Flexion Extension Xrays- revealed grade 3 Retrolisthesis L5/S1, Spondy L4>>>> L4-S1 PLIF

New issues Cervical May 2009 Happy Happy Joy Joy
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2009 at 12:55pm
All of you ladies have made some great points! Is not easy to "bring the horse to drink water", but all we can do is try.

Edie - Maybe trying to bring your husband to the appointments it might help the situation, but I know that we can not make anyone do something that they don't want to do.

Donna made a very important point, education is the only way to change some people's mind and I know that not everyone is going to change, like she also pointed out, but trying is something that you might want to try.
Like I told you before, my Mom was completely against me taking narcotics, she was beside herself when she was taking care of me post-op, that I kept popping pills every 4 hrs.!
But after I spoke to her from the heart and asked her to go with me to my PM appointment, and my NS, OS appointments, etc. she realized that my pain was real, that it was not me faking anything and that I needed her support.
And thank God that she changed! Because if not I would have been all alone in this journey!

I wish that everyones family members will start understanding what every single one of us are going through. We all need the support, we all need to know that are our pain is been validated by our love one's, let's hope & pray that, that day will come for everyone here and everywhere else in the World.

Millie

Edited by LumbarLady - Sep/08/2009 at 2:18pm
Edie View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2009 at 9:35pm

I’m so sorry Millie.

(I’ll blame it on the pills) I did read the letter, and will make a copy to show it to my husband. I will also try to take him to my appointments. He may say it’s silly, but he might do it.

And Rocken Roni,

How wonderful must be to have a husband like John. I wish I could borrow him for awhile. Ha! Ha! He and I have already met, online. Does he still have that long, long hair? My husband is not quite that attentive, but he does have some good qualities. He does help some. He will dust, shake rugs, and things like that if I ask him. He loves to cook. He started that when he retired, and I was still working. Now he has gotten used to doing the cooking every day. Right know while I’m here at the computer he is coming with a plate with supper for me.

Tinkerbell

Thank you Tinkerbell. Bringing my husband to my appointments sound like a good idea. I will try to bring him to my next one and see what happens.

TKmomOF3

I am so glad you have such a supportive husband. One would think they all would be like that when they see their spouse is in pain.

Thank you Stevie

It is good to have you all there to vent a little. I have an appointment with a neurosurgeon coming. I think that would be a good time to try to bring my husband with me

Julia A,

I’m glad things  are going well for you and your husband. They sure can be nice when they put their minds to it. Yes, I’ve been thinking about a house keeper. I used to have one when I was working and taking classes. But for now, I want to keep doing as much as I can, until I can’t do it anymore. I pace myself. I do one or 2 rooms a day, and go like that the rest of the week. What I used to do every week, now I do every other week. Some things like polishing, I do maybe once a month. Windows I don’t do anymore. Luckily, I have a very small house.

With teenagers, you just have to laugh. They do  really usually mean well.  My kids are all grown up and gone. After 2 years they are finally beginning to realize there is something wrong with me. One of my sons, just a couple of weeks ago, asked me if I were going to the Renascence Fair in Minneapolis, (that’s about 250 miles from where we live). I said no, because my neck was still hurting from the trip we had made to my other son’s house in Minneapolis just a week before. Then he says,”why, what’s wrong with your neck?”

Thank you all for taking the time to respond, and offer your words of support.

I guess my husband is very old school. He does know I’m in pain, the problem is that when it comes to drugs, he expects me to tough it out. I too, belief in thouing it out. That's why it's been so hard for me to accept the idea of living taking drugs everyday. I do push myself to the limit. I go around doing things even though I’m in pain. I just make sure I take breaks often, and try not to over do it. But now that I found some relief, I would want him to be happy for me.

He helps some around the house, but psychologically, he can be quite indifferent. We’ve been married for over 40 years, so this characteristic is not really new to me. To make up for that, through the years I have learned to become very independent. But now, for some reason, I have become kind of needy. The last time we discussed my opioids, I was in tears. That’s when I posted about it in this forum. After that I had a serious talk with him explaining how bad I felt, not only for being in pain and taking medications, but also for his attitude towards it. Lately, he has being a little more helpful, and a little bit more supportive. We’ll see how long that lasts.

Thank you all, 

Lumbar T12-L1 to L5-S1.
It is all non operable.

Other conditions
TKR R Knee.
Torn ACL, MCL L knee,
Pain on legs and calves
Deep vein thrombosis
Migraine headaches
COPD
Hypertension
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2009 at 10:04pm
Edie,

Sweetie, I know exactly what it means to have someone around that is "old school".... that was my mother at the beginning of this journey, but thank God, that turned around! I cried my eyes out many of times, thinking that no one was going to be supportive of me in my family, but finally God heard my prayers and it happened. I sure hope that your hubby will open up a bit more and go with you to your next NS appointment.

It will be of great help to you, and it would be a great eye opening experience for your husband. Try to convince him by telling him that you need someone in there to listen carefully for you, since people like you that are in pain, can forget things that are said or mentioned in a Doctor's visit....... see if that works!
And let me tell you one thing...... that is not far from the truth at all! My Mom has become my eyes and ears during my appointments. I know that I am there, and I know that I am listening, but there are things that we forget, not because we are not paying attention, but just because we are overwhelmed, and having him there, could actually be positive for both of you.

He could become your advocate. Like Donna said, sometimes all they need is a bit of education in our issues, and once they understand what it is, and why we hurt, they become our allies, and wouldn't that be wonderful???

Honey, I am pulling for you! I hope that he goes with you to that NS appointment and that he sits there and listen to him talk, and that he would learn a bit about what you are going through! I will be praying for you, and will also keep my fingers cross, so he will say yes! I am behind you Hun, Good luck!

Millie Hug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinkerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2009 at 6:35am
Good Morning Edie, I hope this finds you today, with as low as pain possible for you.  It's very early here and I'm afraid the coffee hasn't quite kicked in yet, as I was looking to see when your appointment with your NS is?  Sorry sweetie, but brain is just not engaged yet!!  Do post it again if you don't mind so we can keep track?

I do hope as well that our postings of supportive spouses didn't bring you down any, as afterwards I thought hard about that and actually felt bad about posting.  I am very sure from reading your posts, that your husband loves you very much, and I do believe Stevie is on to something which I hadn't thought of.  This is why it's so great to have such valuable input from a variety of members isn't it?  I do hope you can get hubby to your NS appointment, make sure you ask poignant questions regarding your pain and levels, so that hubby does hear your NS actually reiterating back to you that it's real and severe in his own words.  It's so different when they hear it from a professional for some reason.

Sorry, getting back to what Stevie said (more coffee now) my husband was just like that, besides helping with household duties, etc., when it actually came to me, and what I needed, he didn't have a clue!  All he wanted to do was take the pain away and was frustrated that he couldn't which sometimes at the beginning, came across as rather abrupt.  Then of course he saw me taking all of these meds (I must interject here and say that we weren't even married a few months when all of this came to a full blown head) and didn't understand the meds or what each was for.  He still sometimes asks to be reminded!)
I do think it's a bit of a process I guess what I'm trying to say Edie, your husband had you as you were for all those years and now it's a huge adjustment for him as well as you.  Conversation which isn't always the easiest, is one of the best solutions that I can give you at this point.
I hope I haven't rambled so early in the morning here, and will keep you in my thoughts and prayers that he does go to the NS with you, and will leave there with some valuable insight.

Take care honey, and I'm very happy that you  joined us here.
Donna
L4/L5 small bulge
DDD and osteoarthritis
2000 disc herniation L5-S1 had micro discectomy, failed. Right leg/foot numbness & sciatica. Permanent nerve damage in right leg/foot along with radiculopathy and neuropathic pain and Drop foot.

IN THE UK 0845790 90 90

Edie View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2009 at 8:59pm

Thank you both, and everbody else for being so kind. I have an MRI Sept 22nd, and I see the NS on the 23rd.

You are so right. I'm beggining to realize that I do talk constantly about the pain, and the meds. How frustrating that must be for him. I will try to change that. After all, though it's my pain, we both suffer because of it.

Thanks everybody for your help, little, by little you are helping me learn how to handle this.

Lumbar T12-L1 to L5-S1.
It is all non operable.

Other conditions
TKR R Knee.
Torn ACL, MCL L knee,
Pain on legs and calves
Deep vein thrombosis
Migraine headaches
COPD
Hypertension
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2009 at 9:30pm

Eddie,

Good luck with everything, and I hope that both, the MRI and the NS appointments go well. Hopefully by then your hubby will be open to the idea of going with you, and learning why his wife is in such pain all of the time..... You take care, and as usual, you know that you have us here to help you and to talk to about the pain.
So come here and vent and talk pain anytime and every time! We would never turn you down, and we will always support you.

Big Hug!

Millie Hug
Charter - Member
Charter - Member
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocken Roni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2009 at 12:07am
Hi Edie

I see you have appointments for your NS and your MRI. thats great, keep us posted

Unknown

1st injured Feb, 1997. Was told it was "Soft Tissue" and sent back to work - no X-rays
Late 1997 attended 1st Rehab Program to strengthen back. Mid 98 PCP took me off work. Tried going back to work over the next couple years, mostly off work due to pain.
June 2000, met with OS for first time. Did MRI , damage was L5-S1 totally blown out. Surgery done Jan, 2001.
Another Rehab program late 2001, attempted to go back to work early 2002. Slipped on water, fell flat on back screw fusion broke.
No improvement. Attended 4th Rehab program in 2004, at time It was decided NO work.
March 2006, had 3rd Surgery, this time fusion and instrumentation from Si to L3.
Edie View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2009 at 11:07pm
Thanks, I will

Lumbar T12-L1 to L5-S1.
It is all non operable.

Other conditions
TKR R Knee.
Torn ACL, MCL L knee,
Pain on legs and calves
Deep vein thrombosis
Migraine headaches
COPD
Hypertension
Spicey View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spicey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2009 at 5:06pm
Hi Edie,

I'm sorry I'm so late into this post, but I just wanted to wish you luck with your scan and your NS appointment. I really hope the scan and appointment can shed some new light on things and help you to find a way to work at dealing with the pain better. 

I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems getting your husband to empathise with your situation.  You know, it's taken me a really long time to realise that nobody can ever truely understand what it's like to walk in my shoes, in the same way that I couldn't ever truely understand what it's like to walk in theirs.  I can only begin to imagine how difficult it is for our loved ones to watch us suffering and not have a clue what to do to fix it for us.  Involving them more in the appointments is definitely a positive thing to try.  I know in the past when family members have seen my notes about my pain levels and types of pain that I have written down to take to appointments with me, they were a little shocked to say the least!   I hope you manage to find a way forward with all of this, and that things begin to improve for you really soon.

Take care and keep us posted, Spicey
42 yrs old, chronic pain for 21 years.
Decompression/stabilisation surgery with Dynesys Apr'04, revision with PLIF fusion Oct'08, SCS installed Apr'10. Injured neck in a stair fall in July '09.
Failed Back Surgery Sydrome & Fibromyalgia diagnosed 2011.
2014 diagnosed with Adenomyosis and Endometriosis. Surgery to thermalize the endometriosis in May '15
Also suffer from non-epileptic seizures brought on by pain.
Nevro high frequency SCS unit fitted in Feb 2016
Also suffer from anxiety & depression.
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2009 at 9:18pm
Edie---

Just going through this post and wondering how things are going for you?  Stevie

Edie View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2009 at 9:38pm

I was not sure whether I should update in this thread, or start a new one, so here it is.

The pain has been pretty much the same except that it seems to be spreading lower to my thoracic area.

The combination of Celebrex, Gabapenting, and Morphine sulfate prescribed are  helping, but I still find it kind of hard to deal with the side effects, principally,  my poor memory, and being so sleepy all during the day.

I recently had a new MRI that showed a small increase in the damage that was there before. There is degenerative disease and damage starting at C-4/5 to C-7/1, with dehydrated discs, bulging discs, bone spurs, nerve impingement and severe narrowing of the neural foramina in both sides of one of the levels. Anyway, my new NS says that considering the spread of the damage, it’s hard to pinpoint the very origin of my pain in order to go in and operate. He certainlly wouldn’t want to operate on all the involved levels, and I agree with that. So he sent me to a Pain Clinic for a series of Epidural Injections. He says that something like this is like a trial and error situation. They will inject one level, if that doesn’t work that would mean it was not the correct level. So next time they’ll hit another level and so on.

I had the first shot last Thursday. It was done under fluoroscoppy. The Pain Doctor injected into the C-5/6 and C6/7 levels, which he says are the worst areas. He used a small gauge needle, maybe a 27 ga. He injected a little Lidocaine first to numb the area. He then injected some Depo-Medrol and more Lidocaine. The whole procedure lasted about 2 min. The Pain Doctor said it would be 3 or 5 days before I knew if it was working or not. Starting last night , I had to lay off the Morphine so I can tell the difference. So far, I don’t know, I still feel some pain, but is not excruciating. Hopefully I will know for sure by next Thursday, when I have to call him and tell him how it’s woriking.

Lumbar T12-L1 to L5-S1.
It is all non operable.

Other conditions
TKR R Knee.
Torn ACL, MCL L knee,
Pain on legs and calves
Deep vein thrombosis
Migraine headaches
COPD
Hypertension
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2009 at 10:25pm
Edie.

You and I are in such similar postions that it is scary.

I have had a significant increase in thoracic pain, supposedly referred from my neck.  I increaed my Lyrica from 50mg to 75mg a day, and it seemed to help for awhile, but now is not doing the job.  I am really wondering where you and I go from here.

I plan to have a new Cervical and Thoracic MRI done in the new year as I have not met my decutible for this year and may as well get it onto the new year.  I also don't have anyone who wants to operate on so many levels.  But the thoracic pain is increasing so much, so I want to keep up with what is going on with you.

We can help each other and maybe others here who are looking, but not posting.

Thank you for letting us know how you are doing, and I really appreciate you sharing what you are going through for me and others.  Stevie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinkerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2009 at 6:26am
Hi Edie!  So sorry to hear that the problems are spreading into other discs as well, all with different problems.  I'm like that but in the lumbar discs.  Too many issues, wouldn't know where to start, so no thank you. 
Good news about your Epidural Injectiion is that it didn't cause a flare up!!  That's very common and I can attest to that as well as a lot others here.  The PM Clinic has stopped all injections with me, unfortunately I've had zero relief.  But that's certainly not to say that will be the case with you hun.

I'm on morphine as well Edie, when do you take your meds?  I take everything at bedtime, mind you my morphine is the extended release.  My PM advised me to take them, the morphine ER, bacolfen (muscle spasms) and the noratriptyline (nerve pain) all at bedtime, and most days that works well for me.  I sure do have one solid good sleep every night boy!  Some days of course I need to take a BT med.

Best of luck to you honey I really hope these injections work for you and get some relief.

Hugs
Donna
L4/L5 small bulge
DDD and osteoarthritis

IN THE UK 0845790 90 90

Edie View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2009 at 6:56pm
Steve,  I don't know where we go from here. It's scary to think that this thing will just keep on spreading lower and lower, and nothing much you can do about it.

Donna,  I guess I am lucky that I got no flare up from the injection. I didn't know that could happen.  I will find out Thursday when will I have to go for the next one. I take my Gabapentin 3 times a day, and the Morphine at night with another dose in the morning prn. I have to take the IR form because for some reason I can't tolerate the ER one. What you take for BT? I use Ambien  for sleeping sometimes, it works great, but again, I am so sleepy the day after. Besides, if I take it a couple of times, and then stop, I get bad withdrawl symptoms.

Lumbar T12-L1 to L5-S1.
It is all non operable.

Other conditions
TKR R Knee.
Torn ACL, MCL L knee,
Pain on legs and calves
Deep vein thrombosis
Migraine headaches
COPD
Hypertension
Spicey View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spicey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2009 at 7:23pm
Hi Edie,

It must be very scary not knowing what's going on or what to do next.  I'm glad that your pm doc has decided to try and help you with the epidural injections, but I know they don't work for everyone.  And yes, you are pretty lucky not to have had a flare-up afterwards, as I know several of us have had issues with that.  I really do hope you one of the people who this will work for and that you can get some relief.

I use OxyNorm, which I think is the brand name for imediate relief Oxycodone, for my  breakthrough pain.  It does leave me feeling very woozy and nauseated though and often causes headaches.  But it takes the edge off my pain a little bit so I have to keep going with them.  Since I started taking the OxyContin, the slow release Oxycodone, together with my increased dose of Lyrica, things have stabilised a bit.  It has taken 2 years to get to this point though, with lots of medication changes along the way so don't give up hope that there is something out there that can help you.

Take care and speak soon, Spicey
Decompression/stabilisation surgery with Dynesys Apr'04, revision with PLIF fusion Oct'08, SCS installed Apr'10. Injured neck in a stair fall in July '09.
2014 diagnosed with Adenomyosis and Endometriosis. Surgery to thermalize the endometriosis in May '15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinkerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2009 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by edie edie wrote:

Steve,  I don't know where we go from here. It's scary to think that this thing will just keep on spreading lower and lower, and nothing much you can do about it.

Donna,  I guess I am lucky that I got no flare up from the injection. I didn't know that could happen.  I will find out Thursday when will I have to go for the next one. I take my Gabapentin 3 times a day, and the Morphine at night with another dose in the morning prn. I have to take the IR form because for some reason I can't tolerate the ER one. What you take for BT? I use Ambien sometimes, it works great, but again, I am so sleepy the day after. Besides, if I take it a couple of times, and then stop, I get bad withdrawl symtoms.

Edie for my morphine ER it's called Kadian is that what you were on that you couldn't tolerate?  For BT pain, I just started using Dilaudid lowest dose1mg, which worked a lot better then the 5mg of IR Morphine I was on.  Believe it or not on the morphine IR it kept me awake and did nothing for the pain!
What dosages are you on for the Morphine IR?  Are any of these meds new?  With the Gabapentin 3 times, the morphine at night then again in the morning is it?  No wonder you're sleepy, then the Ambien for the BT when needed. 
I would think it's safe to say Edie that if you didn't flare up you won't know.  Those of us that received the epidural injections receive the flare ups pretty much right after.   Are you noticing yet that the pain has dropped any??

Good luck and let us know how you make out!!

Hugs
Donna
L4/L5 small bulge
DDD and osteoarthritis

IN THE UK 0845790 90 90

Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2009 at 8:38pm
Hi Edie,

Yeah this is all really scary and I don't know what either of us do, except to stay in touch and help one another out here who have severe multiple level cervical problems.  And to make sure that we know what is being offered to us and what is new and in the future.

I am sure that I have told you here or in another thread that I use tramadol for pain, a small amout of Lyrica for nerve related pain and I do have oxycodone for BT pain, but I do not react well to it----much as Spicey was saying.  To be honest, I do have some good days, but they are becoming fewer now.

I look forward to hearing how you do with your injections and what you find out ultimately. 

You are helping many people here with your posts.  Thanks, Edie.  Stevie

Edie View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2009 at 9:30pm
Hi, I need to clarify something. I don't take Ambien for BT, I take it sometimes for sleeping. I don't know what I was thinking about when I wrote that in my last post.

Donna, when I began treatment for chronic pain, my Dr. put me on Oxycodone ER, on the smallest dose available. I started vomiting almost immediatley, and not mentioning the itch, the nausea and headache were horrible. He gave me Reglan that helped  the nausea some, but not enough. He then had me try Methadone, Morphine ER, and Fentanyl patches, one after the other, all with the same results. That's how we ended up with Morphine IR. I still get some nausea and headache, but not as bad as with the other ones. The tablets are 15mg and I take one to one and a half at night, and sometimes (rarely), 1 at midmorning.

I'm kind of curious about Celebrex. My doctor also has me on this drug. I had to cut my dose in half because it has been making my BP go really high. Does any of you have to take any NSAIDS along with your other meds?

It has been a week since my CEI. I'm not really sure if it is helping. I notice some kind of numbness in the area of the shot, but I still feel the pain.

Lumbar T12-L1 to L5-S1.
It is all non operable.

Other conditions
TKR R Knee.
Torn ACL, MCL L knee,
Pain on legs and calves
Deep vein thrombosis
Migraine headaches
COPD
Hypertension
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2009 at 10:12pm
Edie---

It is not uncommon for NSAIDS to be prescribed along with narcotics, and they really do help.

The problem is that like any drug, side effects accompany them.  Often times NSAIDS are used short term for acute problems, but taken for a longer time can create havoc with our GI systems.

Many of the NSAIDS cause stomach problems, especially if taken for long periods of time---so, as with anything, I would ask both my Dr and my pharmacist about long term problems with the Celebrex and if it is something that is OK for you to stay on long term.  Celebrex is different than Ibuprofen(Advil) and Aleve which most of us are familiar with.  It also has it's own problems long term, but once again, that is between you and your Dr.

Those of us with chronic pain problems are no different than a diabetic.  We need medications to survive and function.  It comes down to the best, least toxic, safest, and lowest dose that we can handle to be as comfortable as possible and as safe as possible.

Let us know how you make out Edie.  Thanks for posting this as it is a very important question for many people.  Stevie

Edie View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2009 at 7:53pm
Thank you!

Lumbar T12-L1 to L5-S1.
It is all non operable.

Other conditions
TKR R Knee.
Torn ACL, MCL L knee,
Pain on legs and calves
Deep vein thrombosis
Migraine headaches
COPD
Hypertension
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2009 at 8:28pm
Hey Edie---

you are very welcomedThumbs%20Up

Edie View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2009 at 8:51pm
Hi everybody

Today I went for my second Cervical Epidural Injection. As I said before, I had my first one about a month ago. That didn't do much good. At first I though it was helping, but when I started to cut back on my meds to see if it was, the pain was very much there. There may be a tiny change in pain level, but it is so minimal that I still need to take my full dose of medication.

I called my PM doctor who suggested I come back for a second shot. He says that the first one might have infiltraded the nerve just a tiny bit, and that maybe a second one might finish the job. He went in the same level as before. Right now it feels like my neck is worse, but that may be just the soreness where he introduced the needle. I will know in about a week if the procedure was successful. I just hope.

Best wishes everybody,

Lumbar T12-L1 to L5-S1.
It is all non operable.

Other conditions
TKR R Knee.
Torn ACL, MCL L knee,
Pain on legs and calves
Deep vein thrombosis
Migraine headaches
COPD
Hypertension

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinkerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2009 at 8:58pm
Hello Edie you've been missed!  I do so hope that this injection gives you some pain relief hun.  I can say that from the lumbar epidural injections that I had, it sometimes felt like the pain had worsened too, but I was told that was the medication spreading it's way, also the fact that after all there is a needle being inserted!

Please keep us posted how you're doing, we really do care about you here and wish you only the best.

Thanks for the update as well

Take care
Donna
L4/L5 small bulge
DDD and osteoarthritis

IN THE UK 0845790 90 90

Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2009 at 9:48pm

Edie--

First and foremost, we have missed you, and so it is wonderful to hear from you.

You are having a steroid "flare" right now. It is not uncommon.  So by tomorrow or the next day you should be feeling better.

ESI's work in 1/3  of people who get them, so let's hope that you are in that group.

Please keep us posted on your progress.  All the best to you Edie.  Stevie

Spicey View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spicey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2009 at 11:07am
Great to hear from you Edie.  I too really hope this 2nd injection has some positive effect for you.  I always flare up pretty badly imediately after any steroid injection so I know it can be a miserable time for the first couple of days.  You take care and fingers crossed you're feeling better soon.  Hugs, Spicey
Hurtsalot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurtsalot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2010 at 12:41pm
I am so sorry that you are in so much pain!  I know exactly how you feel!  I had the neck surgery and it did not help me.  Now new bones spurs are growing and they want to do another sugery......I don't know.   My mucles in my shoulders hurt....they are never relaxed, they are too busy protecting my neck!  The Heating pad helps a little and I am on a low dose of mucle relaxers---I also use BioFreeze.  Hang in there honey!  You are not alone.  Joyce
Cervical Spinal stenosis,spondylosis,fibromyalgia, arthritis. I Had surgery Sept. 2006... anterior cervical diskectomy,osteophytectomy,bilateral euroforaminomies with anterior interbody fusion and plating at C3-4 & C5-6
nanofthedunes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nanofthedunes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2010 at 11:42pm
Edie:

I also agree with Stevie.  You can find my story under spinal a few lines down from your.
I wanted to reply to your comment that you can't stop thinking about your pain.

What do you do with your time?
You see, once you start to get over feeling sorry for yourself, you need to reclaim who you are and who you were and make them a new "this is me".
I spent 25 years being a public servant.  I was one of the founding board members of the Aids Task force that served the Gary, IN area.  I taught college beginning computer classes to students that went to public schools that didn't provide computers, and who were to poor to have one themselves.  I was active in helping the community.  That is who I was.
After I got over the doc's not letting me return to work after my fusion at 47 years old.  I took awhile to try to decide what I was going to do with the time God gave me as a functional non paralyzed being in his world(The chance of me being paralyzed one day is great according to the docs) I could either lay in bed and feel sorry for myself. Listen to the doc's, by not doing anything but reading and walking down to the park, not letting myself drive anymore, OR DOING WHAT I COULD WITH WHAT I HAVE LEFT.
So I bbecame involved in our church.  Working in community outreach, raising money so we can help those who need help of all kinds.  Using my mind to do what I no longer could do physically.  This has given me a new lease on life.  I feel Blessed to be able to help those who are less fortunate than i am.  (sorry, can't feel hands any more) And as long as when I get up in the morning, my feet hit the ground, and I can feel them it is a good day.  I do what I can, always knowing their are alot out their worse off than I am and they need my help.
God Bless, and I hope you can find the "new" you 
"We do not remember the days, we remember the moments" casare pavese

THESE RESULTS ARE FROM 2005: I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO HAVE MRI SINCE 2006
CT WITH CONTRAST OF CERVICAL IS NOT POSSIBLE(BEEN TRIED, PUT IN HOSP, DYE TO BRAIN STEM CANAL TOO NARROW)
S/L: Multilevel DDD; L5-S1 DDD; L4-5 Impingement L4 nerveroot, Inflammatory synovitis L4-5.

T: spondylosis at C7-T1, and T11-12

C: Fusion C4-C6; spondylosis C6-C7, stenosis C4-5 thru C7-T1; increased T2 signal at C4-5 with myelomalacia.
Edie View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2010 at 9:07pm
Thanks Hurtsalot and Nonofthedunes for posting. Yes it's been hard for me to adjust to my dissability, but with the help of the people in this forum, I have come a long way now. I still get depressed at times, but I try to keep going on and doing the best I can.

I have though many times about volunteering somewhere, but have not done anything because I'm not sure I can do it. My medicines make me pretty sleepy, and if I cut down then I am in pain. I have good days and bad days. I don't dare to commit myself and then not be able to deliver when they need me.

I do keep pretty busy around the house, and try to get out to the store or somewhere a couple of times a week. My kids live close by and I get to see them once in awhile. I still long to do something out of the house though. Maybe I will get the courage to bring my self to do something soon.

Now I will look up your posts to get to know you both a little better.

Thanks, and best wishes

Lumbar T12-L1 to L5-S1.
It is all non operable.

Other conditions
TKR R Knee.
Torn ACL, MCL L knee,
Pain on legs and calves
Deep vein thrombosis
Migraine headaches
COPD
Hypertension
nanofthedunes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nanofthedunes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2010 at 10:10pm
Edie:
I also get sleepy if I am not doing anything.  I can sleep sitting up with the best of them.
If my mind is occupied with some sort of task I am ok.  The people at church fortunately understand if I leave, If I don't show up, or if I disappear for awhile.  I do what I can do and have learned not to push it.  I couldn't stay home.  I would just lay in bed playing with the laptop. Not really, falling asleep over the laptop.  Find something, that is your key to having a purpose, and you will feel better while you are doing it, I guarntee that.
"We do not remember the days, we remember the moments" casare pavese

THESE RESULTS ARE FROM 2005: I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO HAVE MRI SINCE 2006
CT WITH CONTRAST OF CERVICAL IS NOT POSSIBLE(BEEN TRIED, PUT IN HOSP, DYE TO BRAIN STEM CANAL TOO NARROW)
S/L: Multilevel DDD; L5-S1 DDD; L4-5 Impingement L4 nerveroot, Inflammatory synovitis L4-5.

T: spondylosis at C7-T1, and T11-12

C: Fusion C4-C6; spondylosis C6-C7, stenosis C4-5 thru C7-T1; increased T2 signal at C4-5 with myelomalacia.
Edie View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2010 at 10:54pm

Hi,

Just when I was getting back to a routine that keeps my pain somewhat under control, y come down with these attacks of hyperventilation. You may have seen that in a different post. Any way, you’ll remember how adverse I am to taking medications. Well now the doctor added more.

I am sure there are people out there that probably take more meds than this, but I feel overwhelmed by how many drugs I need to take everyday just to be able to get up in the morning and function as half a human being.

Check out this list:

Premarin for hot flushes

Pepcid (gastritis caused by Celebrex)

Celebrex for pain (raises my BP)

Morphine Sulphate for pain

Gabapentin for nerve pain (causes edema)

Xanax for anxiety

Ambien for insomnia

Buspar for anxiety (just started buspar, and will have to wait 5 weeks to see if it helps).

Imitrex PRN for occasional migraines

Though I take only small doses of these, these are 9 different kinds of meds and a total of 11 pills I have to take every day.

My doctor has also been talking about adding BP medication if my BP keeps going up. Gabapentin make my ankles get swollen sometimes, so he wants to add a diuretic. And now he wants me to see a psychiatrist to work we me to find a suitable antidepressant.  

If he adds those it will be 12 different kind of meds I have to take everyday.

I just have to laugh. I need to have a good sense of humor, otherwise I would loose it.

Edited by edie - Mar/25/2010 at 10:55pm

Lumbar T12-L1 to L5-S1.
It is all non operable.

Other conditions
TKR R Knee.
Torn ACL, MCL L knee,
Pain on legs and calves
Deep vein thrombosis
Migraine headaches
COPD
Hypertension
Charter - Member
Charter - Member
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocken Roni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2010 at 2:51am
Hi Edie,
     Wow, yes thats alot of pills. I'm sure I'm up there some where. Seems the narcotics bother our stomachs, so like you show, we have to take something to settle the stomach, but then we have something wrong w the other end and boy do we need something for that!! Oh yes a rash we get thoes too and need help for the itch.Were sick and tired of this so we take antidepressants,,,,, does it ever end? LOL
Sorry you have come down w this hyperventilation problem.
I hope it gets under control soon.
Take Care Edie :)
Roni    Owl%202

Unknown

Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2010 at 1:12pm
Oh Edie--

I know how you feel.  Gosh, guess I am in denial, but if I sit down and figure out my BP pill, my hormone patch, my pain med (Oxycodone), the Lyrica, pain for spasms and sleep, and the Lidoderm patch, then throw in the vitamins, I am right up there tooUnhappy

YUK.  Ok.  WTH are we supposed to do?  I am with you.  May as well LOL as Cry

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>