Advertise
With Us 
ChronicPainSite.com Foundation, Inc Personal Homepage
Please, if you have not Donated lately we need your help.
Click here to find out how YOU can help
  Advertise
With Us 

FAQ FAQ   Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

To Our FB page      

Login
Register
---------
ChronicPainSite.com Foundation, Inc
RULES
Navigation
Main Page
Forum Home
About Us
Site Information
Our Advisors
Articles Home
Faces of Pain
Recipe Section
No Pain Pain Scale No Pain

FAQ
Member Control Panel
Login
Register
Walking Conversion Chart

DC's Stories

CP Man Stories

Donate

tkay's Story

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 65>
Author
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2010 at 4:04pm
Welcome home Tammie KayHug

It is so good to know that you are safe and well and that your symptoms weren't a problem for you. 

Oh, speaking Spanish---we spent some time in Miami and were hopeless trying to learn Spanish.  Our granddaughters are bilingual and downright horrified at our attempt to even say a few words. Embarrassed But I know that these children you went to help must have been so grateful for those smiles and hugs.  Rest up and we look forward to hearing all about your trip when you have time.  Big%20smile  Stevie

Please donate to help Chronicpainsite.com continue to help others.

My journey with chronic pain began over 30 years ago, while as a young nurse working spinal rehab, I injured my back lifting a patient. I am now fused from L2-S1. I have multiple thoracic and cervical issues. I'm a retired RN/PA and I know and understand the frustrations on both ends of the treatment spectrum of dealing with CP. It's been my goal since 2008, when we started this site, to reach out and help as many people in pain as possible. We will continue the fight as long as we can. Please, if you can help us continue to help you and others, donate. Thank you.
tkay View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2013-2018

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2010 at 4:35pm
thanks Stevie.

The hard part is getting back into life here at home.

Both our sons cars are non functional right now. I am not really wanting to do anything about it other than arrange our schedules so that we all can get where we need to be.

But H and oldest son have put the pressure on so hard to get a new car. They decided to go "looking at cars". Turns out, they found a car, got all the paperwork nearly complete and then needed me.

Well I am at home, in bed, trying to rest because I am flat our overwhelmed and tired from the trip. Can i say I would have liked to strangle one of them?! grrr.

anyway, life is overwhelming to point right now I would like to go hide under the covers and just be there til I feel better...but if I do that I might be there forever!
Spicey View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spicey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2010 at 5:21pm
Hey Tkay, great to have you back and I'm pleased that you managed ok painwise while you was away.  I'm not surprised you are exhausted! You absolutely have permission to hide under those covers for a least 1 day - after that you have to come back and check in with us, ok?

Take care, Spicey
42 yrs old, chronic pain for 21 years.
Decompression/stabilisation surgery with Dynesys Apr'04, revision with PLIF fusion Oct'08, SCS installed Apr'10. Injured neck in a stair fall in July '09.
Failed Back Surgery Sydrome & Fibromyalgia diagnosed 2011.
2014 diagnosed with Adenomyosis and Endometriosis. Surgery to thermalize the endometriosis in May '15
Also suffer from non-epileptic seizures brought on by pain.
Nevro high frequency SCS unit fitted in Feb 2016
Also suffer from anxiety & depression.
tkay View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2010 at 7:32pm
I never got my extra nap in.

As soon as I signed off of here I got a call from the car dealership. They needed a statement from our mortgage lender. I got up there to have them call the mortgage co. with my permission, well we have to have paper. I laughed and said well we do paperless bills at our house.

So I have to get them their paper statement. Along with paystubs from our jobs, phone bill and 5 references! Sheesh would ya like my first born too...I know I know times are different it has been 5 years since we have taken out a loan, the economy is bad blah blah blah...

H said well maybe something is wrong with our credit. I said well you tell me and I listed off a bunch of stuff. He said okay I get ya, we have too much going on. I said like everyone else.

weve been a bit behind, have outstanding dr. bills from last year and a few other things that are getting paid up to date.

What is a person to do if you don't have the money to pay off the dr. bills, yes they are copays and partial deductibles...I dont have a rainy day fund to pay it all off with. If I did i would have given the money straight out...sometimes life just isn't fair in the finance dept at my house!

I may have to call the pharmacy to see if they would dispense partial portions of my medication until the end of the month. General Motors put money on a Health Savings Account for us to help with the high deductible we have. But instead of making it available Jan 1 it is available Jan 29(I hope). It will be a long rest of the week without those meds. Thank goodness I have enough High blood pressure meds to get me through til the middle of february(how I did that I dont know).
Merlin View Drop Down
Prior Member
Prior Member
I Donated to CPS 2013-2016

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2010 at 8:02pm
I understand that Tammie Kay

I have no disposable income - luckily I only have two debts - one is my dentist who is tolerant and accepts cheques of $10.00 or $20.00 each month and more when I have a filling -

And the Pharmacy - and they are tolerant too

But I have no reserve - and I have a concern I know I can't commit too and I am relying on living a long time so I will have some kind of pauper's funeral

I could always take out a pension plan - but it is something I will never see - although there is no proof that we can't be at our own funerals.

And I nearly choke laughing everytime I hear the advertisments telling us that they will refund our money if we are not happy.

Ahhhhhhhhhh - I guess I would be dead if it was my policy and there wouldn't be much of a chance and my getting my money back - or know that there was something that disatisfied.

I have mentioned this to my daughter - she and her husband both have to work because of their mortgage - ahhhhh - I am on the pension - and she doesn't want to talk about this yet

My parents are both still alive and have their 90th birthdays this year - and Dad's birthday is in a few weeks

I think about my funeral - and I guess I will eventually get old enough for it to be an issue my daughter will discuss

And seeing as I will be dead I am not that bothered about what they do - but I would like an Anglican Requiem Mass

I seem to have got off the track Tammie - but I get it about not having that money

It's tough -

But apart from some humour - I can't help except say I understand

Lin

Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2010 at 8:23pm
Tammie Kay,

First of all, I love your avatar.  You are lovely.  Thank you for putting a face with your name.Big%20smile

I don't have magic bullet answers to what to do with the financial problems that too many people with chronic pain or illnesses find themselves in. 

I would suggest that you contact any Dr's office that you owe, and try to work out some sort of monthly payment arrangement with them.  If they understand that it is that or nothing, hopefully some type of accommodations can be made. You do sound as if you have it under good control, but none of this is right in our Country, and none of us should be in this position.

As far as your drugs are concerned, I see no reason why your pharmacy cannot help you out by giving you less than your normal amount of meds.  After all, they do it when they are short on the drug and have to order it for us. For you to have to be in pain for even one day is just plain wrong.

I have spent a lot of hours since the first of the year calling discount pharmacies in my area such as Costco and Walmart, etc.  I did find out that my local pharmacy will match prices as long as I print out the prices from these other places.  It is worth a try for all of us, even those of us with insurance that pays part of our prescriptions.

Good luck honey, and I do hope that you can have some peace of mind and days that are not filled with pain until you can get some of these things under control. Please keep us posted. Hugs,  Stevie

My journey with chronic pain began over 30 years ago, while as a young nurse working spinal rehab, I injured my back lifting a patient. I am now fused from L2-S1. I have multiple thoracic and cervical issues. I'm a retired RN/PA and I know and understand the frustrations on both ends of the treatment spectrum of dealing with CP. It's been my goal since 2008, when we started this site, to reach out and help as many people in pain as possible. We will continue the fight as long as we can. Please, if you can help us continue to help you and others, donate. Thank you.
tkay View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2010 at 10:26pm
Lin, I am beginning to believe retirement is a fairy tale.

We don't have reserves and both my H and I work our hindsend off!
I am hoping that my daughter will soon find a different job so that she can help H and I pay off some student loans we took out for her in our names. I wished we had never done it.

Stevie,
I dont want to be in pain either. I called the pharmacy to see if the med comes in generic form. but it doesnt. I called the dr. office but i am going to call tomorrow about what they can do, they called back five minutes before they closed.

I am truly thinking that until the end of the month I will just ask for what I need to get through til the end of the week then go back and get more.

With the HSA that we have I am also thinking of switching to getting my meds through the mail. I have one however that I will most likely have to get in person since it is a controlled substance.

I sure got to get my thoughts together soon haven't I?

Unfortunately, I had a couple bills go into collection. Really I am not caring as we do okay and I am not really caring about my credit score, I am not out to buy a house any time soon.

anyway, I thankful that we are in the position that we make money to pay our bills, have food to eat, clothes to wear, and can pay some day to day expenses like gas, dr. visits and small things. But big things like hospital visits or er visits we just don't have it.

Oh by the way, yesterday i found the Christmas gift I had put away for my h. I just found it. I had "lost" it. I had cleverly stored it in sewing box in the living room! he said oh great I was hoping you would get me one, I told him honey you were to get it for Christmas. He chuckled.
tkay View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2010 at 10:27pm
Oh I forgot...my picture....it is many years old but I still look like that. The pic is part of our family pic we had taken when my daughter was a freshman in high school. She is 22 now.
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2010 at 11:28pm
Tammie--

I am fading and need to go to sleep, so I am not going to do a very good job of answering this post.  You take Lyrica, right?  And no, as it is relatively new, it does not come in generic form.   I always ask my Dr. if she has any samples as it is so expensive, even with insurance (and right now, I have not met my RX deductible and so I am paying a small fortune for it), but just a thought to ask if they have samples to help you out.

I will think and answer you back when I am more with it and not so sleepy, but again want you to know that we are happy you are back.  Stevie

tkay View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2010 at 8:23pm
HI Stevie.
Husbands company matched ONE deductible on a health savings plan, they put 1300.00 on it for us. So that means they are paying for my meds til my deductible is met.

Between h and I we had 800.00 in prescriptions to get on Friday. Thank goodness the HSP had the money in the account.

Anyway, I have most of my meds. I have to order the rest.

Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2010 at 11:07pm
Tammie--

I am really happy that you have your meds.  But for the two of you to have to pay $800.00 for meds last week is crazy.  I know that I was able to put $3000.00 in my HSA for the year, and most of it will be eaten up with the MRI's I had done early this month. 

At least I will have met my insurance deductible for the year, but at $900/mo for insurance that does much of nothing, the system is so broken, and I really wonder if they will ever get it fixed.

Anyhow,  I am not telling you anything that you do not know, and I am really happy to know that you do have your medications.  Stevie

Spicey View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spicey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2010 at 11:33am
I'm glad too Tkay, I can't imagine the added stress it must cause not knowing if you are going to able to get the medication you need
Decompression/stabilisation surgery with Dynesys Apr'04, revision with PLIF fusion Oct'08, SCS installed Apr'10. Injured neck in a stair fall in July '09.
2014 diagnosed with Adenomyosis and Endometriosis. Surgery to thermalize the endometriosis in May '15
Merlin View Drop Down
Prior Member
Prior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2010 at 11:44am
I don't want to rub in it but we have a National Pharmaceutial Scheme here and we pay $5.40 for each regular script and when we have had about 60 filled we get the rest free for until the end of the year

And we get just over the cost of one script in our pension each fortnight - Pharmaceutical Allowance.

My morphine shots are on a Private Script and cost more

I feel like crying when I hear how much my US friends have to pay and how hard everything is and I get myself in a twist trying to untangle it all to understand it

But it seems to me that your medical system really is so broken it can't be fix and everything needs to be rebuilt from the bottom up

It's appalling - Cry

Lin
tkay View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2010 at 6:04pm
HI everyone.

Stevie, I was glad to get my meds refilled. I did find out that my blood pressure meds are refilled without it going to the deductible, just a low copay of $10 each.

Spicey, medication stress is not what I needed, in addition to car stresses we have been having.(that is another story and it is over now)

Sparkys,the health insurance system is a mess I agree.

Sorry it has taken me a while to get back here. I have been trying to get back into life. Im glad to be home but there has been alot of hassles going on that are not health related.
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2010 at 7:40pm
Hi Tammie Kay,

Thank you for checking back in with us.  I have been worried about you and was just thinking that I needed to check in on you.

Life and it's hassles are a never ending process for all of us and don't care that we have health issues to deal with to boot.

I only hope that you are doing OK, and know that we are happy to have you here with us whenever you can be.  Have missed you kiddoHugStevie

tkay View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2010 at 7:01pm
HI Stevie. thanks for thinking of me and missing me.

Things in the life department havent been good.
I have had some things going on that are big stressors in my life.
I did make a decision on the one stressor that was giving me High blood pressure...or higher than high blood pressure.

It has been like wrestling an alligator. One of my friends asked me if I could think of a better way to describe what I have been going through that would not make me feel so defeated.

I am not sure whether or not to write or talk about what is going on as this is a health forum, not a place to talk about life's alligators.

I thought after making a decision I needed to make that I would be feeling more relief than what I am experienceing.

I decided to quit the church job for various reasons. I dont want to get into it all right now. it is sort of painful.

I am doing okay. My bp is much lower than it was. I am feeling okay too with it lower. For a while I felt a bit tired all the time, but figured after having it high so long maybe having it low is what is doing that.

I am acheing a tiny lil bit. I ordered my celebrex so hopefully that will help a bit.

I am considering some foot surgery soon. Both my big toes need some work on the cartilages in the joints. My right big toe has had one surgery already.

I am thinking of asking them about joint replacements in my toes. I am wondering what happens when one does not have cartilage left in those toe joints. I sure hurt now when I am walking around. I guess I need to know what to expect so I can anticipate what to do next when the time comes.

Im noticing little changes in the rheumatoid arthritis in my hands...mostly in the very base part of my thumbs. they can sure ache at times.

I don't know what else to say besides that tonight I am feeling rather weary.

Spicey View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spicey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2010 at 7:08pm
Hi Tkay,

I'm sure that you quit that job for all the right reasons for you, even if it wasn't an easy decision.  If you ever do want to talk about lifes aligators (I love that by the way!) that is what our Mental Wellbeing section is for.

Great news that your BP is back down again. It sounds like you've had a lot on recently, so dealing with that one top of your pain issues, it's not surprising that you're feeling weary.  Just get some rest and take things easy, and hopefully you'll feel better soon.

Take care and keep us posted, Spicey
tkay View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2010 at 7:14pm
HI Spicey.
Yes quitting that job is for all the right reasons. I don't take anything lightly when it comes to working, decision making and other stuff important.

Life's alligators came to mind the other night when I was getting ready for bed.

I had one of my high school friends(actually he was my grade school crush!h)ehe ask me "how are you doing", there was a pregnant pause after he asked. He said, "don't people ask you how you are doing?" I told him usually people don't ask after they know what is going on after a few times or my family doesn't bother any more. He was amazed.

I guess I need to educate him a bit on things about how people act. He is a therapist so it would be good for him to know.

Ill keep you all posted on what is going on.

Spicey View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spicey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2010 at 7:41pm
Oh boy, he could write a paper based on what we've all experienced from other people over the years   It certainly would do him good if you educated him about people's actions. 

So, is he still cute after all these years? (sorry, I just had to ask!)
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2010 at 8:59pm

Oh Tammie Kay,

I am so sorry that I just saw this as I have quite frankly been too busy with other things around the site.

I am really sorry that you had to quit your job.  Especially that it was painful for you.  Things like this are never easy.  I feel that I know your heart and spirit enough to know that this was a decsion that had to and is still taking it's toll on you.

Please know that we value you being here with us.  Don't be a stranger here, and do keep us posted on how you are doing healthwise.  I know nothing about joint replacements in your toes, so you will have to educate all of us.

OK, I am with Spicey on this old flame and how he responds to you ---yeah, is he still cuteLOL

tkay View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2010 at 12:12pm
HI Spicey and Stevie.

Yes my elementary school crush is still a cutie after all these years and still knows how to make me laugh and smile. He hasnt changed after all these years.

The job thing. It is such a relief. I will be able to have a hobby or two now that I am not working two part time jobs!

I found out yesterday that I will have several bills paid off in full in the next few weeks. Hooray. That will make being out of that job so much easier.

I have been sorta lost lately.
I had to have a D&C on monday of this past week after several scary days of excessive bleeding.
(sorry men if you are visiting) Look up what a D&C is.

I am feeling a whole lot better but recovering.
I am not sure how others do at recovery when they also have fibro.
I am quite tired. still spotting a bit, dr. said that may happen.

I have been on bed rest, resting. being a good girl.

I dont know what else to say.
Oh yeah, my joints and soft tissues are killing me! if the weather would stay unchangeable that would be good.
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2010 at 2:00pm
Tammie Kay--

It is so good to see you back here.  It has been a while and I have been thinking of you.

I hope that the D&C clears up any problems that you are having.  Did they do a biopsy of the endometrium?  Yes, it is harder for anyone who already has a condition that causes fatigue and pain to recover from a procedure like this.

I really think that all of us have been looking forward to winter being over with and now the changes that we have in Spring.  Hopefully everyone will feel much better when Summer arrives.

Spend this time while you are resting making lists of things that you will finally have time to do now that you are not working, and things that you would like to learn (new) now that you have more time.  Take care and feel betterHugStevie

Edited by Stevie - Mar/21/2010 at 3:31pm

tkay View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2010 at 3:22pm
Hi stevie.
My dr. did a CA125 blood test and did do a biopsy of the lining of my uterus.
I am waiting on the results. Monday I should know something.

I am still going to be working as I had two part time jobs. I decided to join a quilting group. They do a lot of charity work.

I will still be at the food pantry I like the work there, the volunteers, and directors.

I have my car trunk full of some quilting supplies that a family donated to the quilting group...the ladies insisted I needed to take what ever my heart wanted. :)
Merlin View Drop Down
Prior Member
Prior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2010 at 6:11pm
Tammie Kay

You do so much - and in pain too - I don't think I would be able to make a commitment to do anything like that - I wish I could

My niece is in a Drama Company - and she is a good actress - I would love to join it but I know I couldn't keep up the hours required for reheasal - I would start all right - but soon everything would catch up with me and I would let other people down.

This has happened before but I really admire you sisn

WTG TK - I don't know what kind of work you do - I think you are in there somewhere

Chef%202 Launderer Accountant Massage%20Therapist Tattoo%20Artist Weatherman%201 
Lin
tkay View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2010 at 8:25pm
Sparkysmoonlady

Usually things that I get involved with most people I know in those groups are aware of my health issues. They know that I may have to back off a bit and come back later.

I am an administrative assistant for the executive director of a food pantry in the area where I live.

I know I do alot. I do have times where I dont have pain or it is very little that I notice.

In fact, after my D&C I went to my family doc to get my blood pressure checked he reminded me if the pain meds that the gyn dr. prescribed werent enough I had better make calls and not allow it to go too far. I told him I would.

Dr. A has been a great family doc for me. I have had him for three years. I am so glad I have him.
Tinkerbell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinkerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2010 at 7:28am
Hi Tammie just wanted to say hi and glad to see you!!!  Hope you're feeling better soon after the D&C and good to hear you're down to one job.

Take care hun
Donna
L1/L2 protrusion with a piece migrating
L4/L5 small bulge
L5/S1 bone on bone, non-operable
DDD and osteoarthritis
2000 disc herniation L5-S1 had micro discectomy, failed. Right leg/foot numbness & sciatica. Permanent nerve damage in right leg/foot along with radiculopathy and neuropathic pain and Drop foot.
SI Joint & Facet Joint Injections with some relief.

NATIONAL SUICIDE HELPLINE 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
http://www.crisisclinic.org/
IN THE UK 0845790 90 90
http://www.samaritans.org/

For help for many things...
Canada: http://www.211Canada.ca/
U.S.: http://www.211.org/
tkay View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2010 at 10:28pm
Tink,
I will be down to one job at the end of April. At the time of my resignation i wasnt aware that I was going to be in less debt also at the end of my employment! I am so relieved and thrilled.

I am going to need two more surgeries. Endometrial Ablation surgery, the lining of the uterus is burned out so that the lining does not form every month. This will stop me from having excessive bleeding that led to the D&C.

I am also probably going to have to have my left ovary surgically removed through laproscopic surgery, if the cyst does not shrink in size. Dr. stated yesterday that the cyst is the size of a tennis ball or a bit bigger.

I would not normally move toward having the cyst removed if it werent causing me problems. Since the D&C and being told what to look for as far the cyst causing problems I was able to let my gyn know that the cyst is causing problems.

I am to have an other ultrasound and exam in three weeks, before a decision is made about surgery for the cyst.
I do plan to move forward in having the Endometrial Ablation surgery as I dont want to deal with excess bleeding any longer. It was too much to have what happened to experience it again.

My body has been slow to heal, it seemed it took forever for the cramping to stop. Now I am sorta having cramping because of the cyst pressing on my bladder, and rectum, thus making my uterus cranky.

how I wish my body would just cooperate in some way and I am feeling like I have no control any longer over what happens. Of course staying on top of symptoms would probably help me.

Rocken Roni View Drop Down
Charter - Member
Charter - Member
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocken Roni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2010 at 2:18am
Hi Tammie Kay,
Was just passing by,ha. I sure hope you are feeling better.
Your going to be in less debt? That is fantastic!
This Endometrial Ablation surgery I'm wondering how that
would be done actually.
OH Tammie you have so much to go through yet.
Your in my prayers and I hope it all works out.
Keep us posted.

Roni    Owl%202

Until one has felt the Love of an animal,
a part of their Soul remains Unawakened.

Unknown

1st injured Feb, 1997. Was told it was "Soft Tissue" and sent back to work - no X-rays
Late 1997 attended 1st Rehab Program to strengthen back. Mid 98 PCP took me off work. Tried going back to work over the next couple years, mostly off work due to pain.
June 2000, met with OS for first time. Did MRI , damage was L5-S1 totally blown out. Surgery done Jan, 2001.
Another Rehab program late 2001, attempted to go back to work early 2002. Slipped on water, fell flat on back screw fusion broke.
Went to 3rd Rehab program summer 2002.
Oct 2003 - 2nd Surgery, due to broken screw, had to operate from the front.
No improvement. Attended 4th Rehab program in 2004, at time It was decided NO work.
March 2006, had 3rd Surgery, this time fusion and instrumentation from Si to L3.
June 2008 Surgeon finally admitted I had Failed Back Surgery.
August 2009 WCB Finally put me on Long Term Disability
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2010 at 10:22am
Hey Tammie

I can empathize with what you are going through.  I finally had a total hysterectomy about 8 years ago when fibroids were so bad and covering one ovary. Also, excessive bleeding and that is no fun.  They had to do surgery to make sure that it WAS fibroids and not ovarian cancer.  At any rate, he removed everything and put me on an estrogen patch.  I never went through any menopausal type symptoms and have not regretted having it done.

I hope that this ablation will resolve your problems.  I know that I don't heal as well any longer.  I think part of it is age, and part the stress from chronic pain. 

Please keep us posted about the upcoming surgery and how you are doing.  Stevie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinkerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2010 at 10:29am
Hey Tammie, yea I went through similar too with the excessive and ongoing period for over a year, not fun at all, hence my hysterectomy too which of course found endometriosis.  I as well got the patch slapped on me and there it shall stay.

Best of luck with your surgeries hun, and let us know how you are.

Hugs
Donna
L4/L5 small bulge
DDD and osteoarthritis
2000 disc herniation L5-S1 had micro discectomy, failed. Right leg/foot numbness & sciatica. Permanent nerve damage in right leg/foot along with radiculopathy and neuropathic pain and Drop foot.

IN THE UK 0845790 90 90

Merlin View Drop Down
Prior Member
Prior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2010 at 11:12pm
Hey Tammie

I am really so glad for you that you can work in a situation where you can take time off when you need to - and that people understand that

And all those busy pics of people working - you work in a food pantry and the first pic I put up was someone working as a chef - I could have stopped there - but I know women multi-task -

I look back and wonder sometimes at how much I did with my frail but sociable baby on my right hip so much that I learned to strike a match to light the gas with my left hand - and I'm right-handed - and  playing with the gas and matches with the baby seems idiotic now - but then

I was cooking a dinner and had a load in the washer and a cake in the oven and somehow managed to get the toddler's pants down in time - sometimes

But really - I am so happy for you that you can work. When I tell people I would love to be able to work - that I used to love going to work - I get some strange looks at time

But I would really love to be in that drama group with my niece

And about the D/C leading to a hysterectomy or whatever they choose - I had a tube and and ovary trapped into the back of my uterus - welded might be a better word - and a doctor would tell me he couldn't feel my ovary and it must be twisted and then another doctor would tell me if I had a twisted ovary I wouldn't be able to stand up straight - when I was actually leaning forward with my head on the desk holding my belly after staggering into the surgery with both hands grabbing my stomach and groaning like a dormant volcano about to re-load

It was worth having the hysterectomy

All the best Tammie

Lin
tkay View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2010 at 11:46pm
Hi Everyone.

It has been a long year already! Usually I say this once August comes.

Ablation surgery, or Novasure procedure(as this is what my dr. used) I had  surgery two weeks ago.

I am unsure how to explain it in understandable language so if you look up novasure website you can read there.

This last monday I had my first mammogram. I was called on tuesday to be told to schedule another appt as the radiologist would like some further xrays of my left breast. I called my dr. and explained what was going on to his receptionist. She made note to call me the next day as he was out of the office. She called me with the news that I NEED to keep the second appt and also have an ultrasound done after the xrays.

So this friday I will go back in for the xrays and ultrasound.
I am hoping not to have to wait all weekend to find out results but who knows. The appt is early enough that the radiologist could have an answer later in the day.

I was told that 80% of the stuff that is found in women's breasts are benign. The rational part of my mind keeps telling me this. The other rational part of me says hey there is nothing you can do til you find out results, dont be thinking too far ahead.

My heart is a bit broken right now. I thought after getting the uterine stuff taken care of I would be all set.

I told my family dr. one of the last times he saw me that I wanted to take care as much medical stuff that I can this year so that come January 1st I am not having to get any kind of medical care done because of our deductible being so high.

at this time our deductible was met because of my emergency room visit and all the tests, and D/C.

Anyway, in all this I have been dealing with pain as I was off my celebrex for surgery. I was so glad to be able to take them again!

I am still working and everyone has been so good about my time off. I know it has not been a convient time to call off for surgery. I know I put it off much longer than I wanted to also.

This last surgery I was able to take a week off of work. I truly needed it as I had also found out i had anemia, so I had been extra tired. plus with all the aches sleeping was not a good time.

I have been back to work and it is okay.

I worry about what the future holds but worry does nothing for me other than set me off into panic attacks.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinkerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2010 at 9:27am
Ah Tammie just what you surely didn't need, you have had enough to deal with.

I know it's scary whenever these question marks come up, and I really hope you don't have to wait over the weekend to get some results, maybe you can ask your family dr to get a verbal?

Will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers, please keep us up to date, and it's great to see you here.  I just wish under better circumstances.

Take care sweetie
Donna
L4/L5 small bulge
DDD and osteoarthritis

IN THE UK 0845790 90 90

Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2010 at 9:34am
Hi Tammie Kay,

It is so good to hear from you, but not under these circumstances.

Of course you are worried and concerned.  What woman wouldn't be?  I don't know if this will help you, but I had a similar experience years ago, and the lump was benign and removed and all has been well since.

One of the reasons that they are being super cautious, is because this was your first mammogram.  Therefore, they have nothing to go back and compare it to ---to see if what they are looking at has been there all along.  Once we start having yearly mammograms, they are always compared to the previous ones.

(For every woman reading this, if you haven't had a mammogram do NOT wait.  Do it NOW. )  And if you have a family history of breast cancer have it done before the recommended age.

Please do keep us posted.  We will be waiting to hear, and remember that 80% number, OK?  I know it is hard.  Hugs and prayers. Stevie

imchunks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imchunks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2010 at 12:15pm
Tammie Kay,

I can feel your fear and worry.  Anytime they tell us to do something and back it up with NOW! It tends to put my mind into a tail spin.  I don't know how many times this has happened to me and every time I am exactly where you are right now. 

I am thinking (like Stevie) that they are going to get all the baselines set up so that they have something to refer to in the future.  I am in that 80% of women that have fibrous breast tissue and every time a new person looks at my films, they call me back in to redo the mammogram or for an Ultrasound.  Nothing has ever come up, but with my family history they are super cautious.

I hope that you will get your answers before the weekend and not have to wait till Monday.  We tend to be our own worst enemies when it comes to worry.  Just try to relax and do something fun that will take your mind off this till you get your reports.

I am with you and will be praying for good results.  Just remember, if you get to dwelling on the "What IF's" come here and post your thoughts and walk away and leave them here so you can do other things with out the mind going back and forth with the "What IF's"

Take care and I hope to see you around here when you have time,
Judy

LUMBAR: lumbar herniated disc almost all non-surgical treatments available have been tried. (5) laminectomies on lumbar spine 1982-2001, Failed fusion of L4 L5 in April, 2005; Spinal Cord Stimulator (SCS) March,2007

CERVICAL: Cervical herniated disc, Anterior cervical discectomy & fusion (ACDF C5-7)November, 2007

OTHER ISSUES: DDD, Polyneuropathy, Occipital Neuralgia, Rotator Cuff Tendinitis, Carpal Tunnel, High Blood Pressure, Hardening of the Arteries.

NERVE DAMAGE: Bilateral Peroneal, Tibial and Sural Nerves of lower legs, feet and ankles (damage caused by previous back surgeries).
sara1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sara1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2010 at 12:18pm
Hi Tammie Kay, I hope all the test come out normal for you and hope the surgery is helping your pain level go down. Prayers for you. Take care. Sara
DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left leg and foot. all lumbar discs now herniated one central herniation with exiting nerve contact.Facet joint Hypertrophy RFA for pain relief
tkay View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2010 at 10:43pm
HI Everyone.

I want to thank you so much for your support.
I guess I came here last week to hear a voice of reason.

I was okay when I was at work, I was busy and focused on things not about me. :) thank goodness for work.

When I arrived for the second mammogram the technician asked if the previous technician explained to me about being called back. I said no, nothing was explained, not even the receptionist said anything.

It turns out the spot is benign. I got the news yesterday from my primary dr. He is the one who sent me for the yearly screening.

It was my first time. I realize that I was a few years late starting this proces. I have no other excuse other than I had other health stuff I was dealing with.

Breast cancer is the last thing I want to have on my mind as I deal with alot of other things healthwise.

I was very frightened, upset and just filled with anxiety.
The what ifs that could be answered I did a bit of research, like if my insurance paid for cancer treatments, surgery and reconstructive surgery(I did check this out and everything would be covered if I needed anything of the sort). The other stuff that I had worries about like who would do my housewife/mom stuff, I threw it on the back burner cause that is always a problem anyway and I didnt feel like dealing with it.

I have been slowly learning that anything that is consuming me is not worth the energy until I know truth or answers.

Monday afternoon of this week I really felt the stress of the week before and thought to myself I am stressed from my stress.

I had read an article and it in it had a quote by someone, "I can allow my circumstances(illnesses, abuses) turn me into a victim and consume me or I can allow my illness to help me turn things into a positive."

I work for a food pantry. Today three women, the receptionist and I got to talking about illness. One lady had MS, one fibro, another had rheumatoid, and then myself with fibro and rheum. When I told them the quote they all nodded their heads and said, I have been there.

I guess I am at the point with stuff of trying to run to the positive in things. But I have to share with you sometimes sadness really overtakes me.

I have been thinking this week that enough has happened to me, abuses/diseases, isnt that enough for one person, life at this point or somewhere along the line has to get easier.

Ladies I guess I am tired of being diseased. I dont want any more dx's.

sara1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sara1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2010 at 11:24pm
Hi Tammie-That's good news. It sounds like you've been through a lot. I'm glad for you. Take care. Sara
DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left leg and foot. all lumbar discs now herniated one central herniation with exiting nerve contact.Facet joint Hypertrophy RFA for pain relief

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinkerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2010 at 8:13am
Tammie that is wonderful news, what a load off your mind. 
Stress is a demon to us with chronic pain, it manifests itself into something so powerful that our pain can rise suddenly, I do love that quote!!

I hear you honey about being sad, what you're feeling is totally normal, look at what you've gone through the past months.  I'm really hoping for you that things calm down so that you get the chance to look at the positives again, and can hopefully get yourself in a better place.

Take care sweetie
Donna
L4/L5 small bulge
DDD and osteoarthritis

IN THE UK 0845790 90 90

tkay View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2010 at 9:54pm
It is amazing to me how stress can make the little bit of pain I am in spirl into a big pain. I have been really watching my pain levels as to how they get out of control when I am stressed bad weather hits or even weather that is "normal" and typical for the area where I live. Even getting ill with other things or having surgery sure has kicked things up.

I had put some money away to get out of the country for 10 days next year. I have gone through it already. I had to pay the dr. office before they would do the second surgery. I was so angry I was crying. Now I have to start over saving again.

I figure well in order to go I must be in good health, I felt better about using that money the way I did. It was an inheritance from my grandma.

I have been through alot as far as health exams and health stuff this year. It seems like every few years I go through something. Last time I went through some stuff i had to have my gall bladder removed and a liver biopsy.

I am still trying to find a rheumatologist. I have to make a return appt for the one I saw in April. I need to get some medical records to her. I have another dr. I want to check out before I decide who to see. I figure if I can be choosy I am going to be choosy! I am fortunate to live in an area where there are university and teaching hospitals. If all else fails maybe I can see someone at the university of Michigan hospital...it is a trek though.

Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2010 at 6:12pm
Hi Tammie,

I have been traveling and didn't get a chance to tell you how happy I am that the results of your mammogram are OK. 

I hear you about any more diagnoses.  Seems that we reach a point of no return.  Enough is enough.

I am hopeful that you will find a good Rheumatologist and I am sure that you will.  I am really sorry that you had to use the money to pay off a Dr. bill as I remember when you went out of the Country this past year to help others.

I really think that it will happen for you.  But as you know, you have to take care of yourself first and you will.  Many hugs and take care, Stevie

Merlin View Drop Down
Prior Member
Prior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2010 at 6:21pm
Hi Tammie

You are doing the hard yards atm - I am sending you my best thoughts and huggles

Lotsa luv

Lin
tkay View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2010 at 6:30pm
Hi Stevie. I am getting back here after having the second surgery. I am post op almost 30 days, doing good. So glad when my uterus calms down. :)

My daughter had to have a biopsy and all is well. She and her boyfriend have been engaged 3 weeks now. :) A fall wedding in 2011.

I know that if I were to fundraise, I would have money to go on another mission trip. I had hoped not to have to, it is so much work.  I know I need to be well in order to do the things I can do, especially if I am going to be away from home.

I was just so thrilled to invited again, I am really pleased that my work and my presence is so appreciated that I was invited again.

One thing I have been thinking about lately is the fact that when I have times where I am not able to do housework and other house things, the aftermath of it all. I guess what I am wondering is it like this for everyone else? How does one not allow things to get like things have gotten at my house. It is something coming out of a long time of being in pain to a house that is literally upside down.

Sparkysmoonlady...it has been rough...and each time I am in a rough place I think it is the roughest, I try not to believe it.

I guess this many sound weird but I have been thinking that maybe while going through the rough times there might be some bright spots.

The one thing that has been a learning experience is the art of resting and not worrying how long how much and who cares. I told my boss at the food pantry today that I have learned that sometimes laying in bed I just enjoy the feel of the pillows behind my head, listening to the birds sing out my windows and my little dog, and three kitties that visit me.

Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2010 at 6:55pm
Tammie Kay,

Congratulations on the upcoming wedding.  Oh my, talk about a lot of work and stress.  Make sure you come here to ventThumbs Up  Great news that your daughter's biopsy was OK and that you are doing well following your recent surgery.

I really hope that you will be able to afford to go ( and be well enough health wise) to go on another mission trip.  I know how much they mean to you and to the people that you help.

Tammy, we all have our houses (and/or lives) in stages of disrepair at one time or another depending upon how we feel.  I have to break things up in small batches.  So, I make a list for the week, and decide which day I have time and energy to buy food, which day is the day(s) for laundry, etc.  Oh, and then I hope that I can do about 1/2 of the things on the list.

I can tell you that I used to be so meticulous with my home---painted, did a lot of the decorating, etc, and small repairs.  Now I can't do it, and honestly?  I have learned to NOT look at stuff.  It bothers me too much.

I love that you have learned "the art of resting" and that is something that I have also been forced into when the pain gets to be too much.  We learn acceptance of our abilities and what we can do and when we need to stop and take care of ourselves.

It sounds to me as if you are doing great despite all that you have been through, and continuing to hold down your job at the food pantry.  Thank you for updating us.  Stevie xx

tkay View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2010 at 7:47pm
Hi Stevie. Oh the wedding...yes stressful...and I am not real good about handling stress...so thank you for allowing me to come here to vent! My biggest stress is that I feel maybe this man may not be THE person for my daughter, but my daughter I HAPPY, so my thought has been lately if she is HAPPY, well I will be happy for her. I am also working hard to get to know her intended better.

I figure with the trip if it is meant to be I will go. If I need help raising funds I will need to say something to the person in charge. He has found help before for me. I don't like to rely on that tough. There is a project that will go on when we are down in Nicargua that I want to see happen and be a part of. We will be helping a church put a roof on their building, maybe put a floor in and buy a sound system for them. this is a huge project, bigger than any we have undertaken(course I dont built, I cheer on my team mates).

I pretty much do the same as you, break everything up in small batches and get what I can done. I live in a quad level home. Which means stairs. I clean one room at a time, putting things near the upstairs or downstairs and taking stuff to the next level when i move(or if I do) to the next level or have someone else do it.

I think you all know I have three adult children living with me. My daughter will be moving out next year and my oldest son possibly will be moving. My son that will be home works two-three jobs and goes to college. I guess what I am saying my help is not going to be around after 2011.

So you know where my thoughts are giong with housework, my help leaving now what? I have thought about hiring someone maybe a high school student or someone who needs a bit of cash to do the hard stuff, scrubbing and hauling of laundry baskets around.

It is weird giving up the things I used to be able to do, to someone else. Even having my kids do the stuff I used to do is hard, but then it is better than be flat on my back for days after cleaning.

Spicey View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spicey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2010 at 6:00am
Hi TKay, lovely to hear from you   Sounds like you will have a busy year ahead with wedding planning!

It's so hard when you have such horrible bad pain days, but you have the right idea, when you are stuck in bed just enjoying the kitty cuddles and listening to the birds can turn a stressful situation into a relaxation exercise.  If I can do something like that on a bad day I don't feel as resentful about the fact I've "lost" another day to the pain.  I think it's so important too, that while we always remember how many bad days we're having we don't forget those good days.  The ratio of good vs bad days can be a great indicator of things improving but it's easy to miss it when we get emotional and upset about high pain days.

I wish you a speedy recovery from your latest surgery and I hope that you are soon feeling well enough to make another mission trip

Take care and keep in touch,

Spicey
tkay View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2010 at 10:49pm
HI Spicey. My apologies for not getting back here to answer you.

We have added another member to our family, not a human but another kitty. This one is a sleek looking black cat, named Nas. My youngest son decided Nas needed to come home with him when his friend's family decided they no longer wanted Nas. He is such a beautiful baby. He is rather timid but is learning that if I see him he is going to be picked up and loved on my the human momma.

So that means I have four cats at our house. Each of my three young adult children have their own babies. I am thinking though that when the first two leave home the kitties need to stay with me.

I am in a bit of a flare. I feel "new" places the rheumatoid arthritis has decided to let me know that my knees and ankles are not going to be the places it wont attack.

My neck has been paining me for at least three weeks now. I woke up one day with it hurting and has been giving me problems since. Someone suggested a massage. Personally give me some drugs and I will sleep til it is gone. Being in this much pain has left me with a headache, and a nauseated feeling. ew.

I have been seeing a different rheumatologist but I am not happy with the practice. I am not happy that this dr. doesnt tell me results of tests without my asking. I thought when one goes in for xrays and lab work that the results would be offered up without having to ask! sheesh. why else do those things?

I was a bit peeved when the nurse of med. assistant was getting ready to do a blood draw that she kind tossed things around, cover off the needle set up, and then kinda tossed the container with my blood in an emesis basin. I thought to myself if she breaks that, she is not getting any more I dont want to be stuck again. What was the worst is the fact she did a blood draw out of vein in the crook of my arm nearer to my elbow! It sure hurt.

My family dr. and my other rheum dr. always gave me info from my lab work whether or not there was something to talk about.

So I may be in a hunt for a different Rheum. Dr.

I had asked about my xrays, apparently I have a good case of osteo arthritis in my feet, ankles, and hands/fingers/wrist.

So I have been on cortisone to lower the inflammation that I have been feeling in my knees and ankles/feet.

Really I should only wear tennis shoes, but I get tired of wearing those darned things, I have to wear socks and my feet get hot. If I am on my feet most of the day well then I really feel the pain when taking off my shoes.
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2010 at 8:38am
Hi Tammie Kay,

It was great to wake up this morning and find your post.  You have had quite the year, but have come through it amazingly well, with your great spirit still intact.  I admire you.

Congratulations on the newest addition to the family.  Between the kids and the kitties you sure have a full house!!

Tammie, personally, I would look for another Rheumatologist, and I would let him/her know why you are leaving the practice.  It is absolutely their responsibility to give you all results of any tests and/or X-rays that have been done.  It is poor medical practice to do a blood draw and not use sterile technique, and the cap should not be removed from the needle until the very last second.  It should not be that painful either to have blood drawn, and for the protection of everyone a tube full of blood should never be tossed. 

You like your GP as I recall, and possibly he can help you find someone else, or else do go to the University even though it is a drive for you.  Now with the OA on top of the RA you need someone to help manage the medications and keep you as comfortable and healthy as possible.

I am sorry to hear about your neck, and hope that it is a muscle related problem---as you woke up with it, and possibly slept in a poor position. It is disconcerting that you are having so much pain while on steroids.  Have you had any X-rays done of your neck?  Your family Dr. could order them to check for things like DDD and/or arthritic changes in the vertebrae. Are you having any neurological symptoms such as numbness or tingling going into  you arms or hands?  Or is this pain purely in your neck?

I do work with a massage therapist on a regular basis ( it took me about 4 people to find Becca) and she has helped me keep my pain levels down.  We can get muscle spasms and the massages help with that, along with doing much more.  So yes, massage is something to consider.

So, possibly see your GP, ask for cervical X-rays and maybe a muscle relaxant, and then proceed from there based upon what the X-rays show.

Tammie, one thing that is so important for you with all of your joint issues is to keep them flexible, and I am sure that walking is very painful.  Do you have the ability to do aqua therapy?  If you have a heated pool close to you that would be something to look into.  Swimming is one time when I am actually pain free.  I think that if I could stay in the water I would. LOL

I have a terrible habit of going around barefoot (I only wear socks in the winter in Tucson), and my massage therapist is always on my case about this.  I keep a pair of crocks in the kitchen so that when I am cooking they are there and I am not standing on hard tile floors.  Maybe you can look into something with support and cushioning that you can slip into.  Other members may have some good suggestions for you.

Well, that is enough of a book for this morning.  Thanks again for coming back here and giving us an update.  Please don't be a stranger.  We enjoy hearing from you.  All my best to you, Stevie

DrBaroneDC View Drop Down
Medical Advisor
Medical Advisor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrBaroneDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2010 at 12:01pm
I recently got a patient who had been diagnosed with fibro along with several other arthropathies. She had been "footballed" around to several doctors and specialists and nobody has been able to really get her to the point where she could exercise consistently due to the pain. I have done a total of 3 treatments with her so far using the graston technique to address some of her trouble areas of myofascial pain, and I'm happy to report that her pain levels have decreased 50-75%, her energy is increasing, and she is able to tolerate exercise daily as she would like! I plan to see her every 2 wks for the next 1-2 months to make sure she stays on track, but the treatment was a big success in both of our eyes (considering no other treatment gave her any relief). I would suggest that anyone with fibro symptoms do a little research of their own about Graston and use their website tool to locate a chiropractor or PT in their area who is trained in it. I can also try to answer any questions you may have. I think exercise and activity in general is the way to beat fibro and arthritis!
tkay View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2010 at 12:50am
HI Stevie! Thanks for all the info and suggestions.

I did return to my family dr.(I did see my chiropractor 2 times this week and 1 time the week before), my family dr. is sending me for an mri to see what exactly is going on. He gave me a prescription for a muscle relaxant, and physical therapy. He told me it is fine to continue chiropractic treatments.

I am not having any tingling, spasms, numbness. I have an incredible amount of pain in my neck that radiates into my shoulders and down to my thoracic area, down my arms. The worst is the headache that I have had since monday or tuesday of this week!

I talked with the psychologist I see. He mentioned that should start looking for another rheumatologist. I have a name that I will be checking into this next week. I will most certainly mention to the current dr. why I am leaving. I am not a very brace person in that area though.

I know that I need to find someone to stay on top of things. I did tell my family dr. about having the cortisone injections. I am sure he was quite concerned about me.

I ended up staying an extra couple hours just laying in bed because I was feeling okay, still in pain but didnt have the headache. I was so worried about getting up and moving around concerned that the headache would come back.

Hi Dr.Barone
It is great hearing from you and the success you are having in helping the lady in your practice. I am not a stranger to chiropractic. I worked as an office manager for a
chiropractor and he continues my care even now. I had worked with him for 9 years!

Since my neck has been bothering me I have been seeing the chiropractor(at the suggestion of my family dr.) on a regular basis. He is using what is called Active Release technique. I don't know much about it other than it does help and it is gentle!(I worked for him for 9 years and saw a lot of people helped by him!)

I had a period of time where my lower back hurt so much. My boss went on a vacation(why do things always seem to happen when they are out of town or the sun is not up?). I decided not to wait for him to come home so i visited one of his closest chiropractic friends. This chiropractor found my top cervical wedged in an odd angle under my skull! In the middle of my treatment schedule he passed away. I was left wondering who I was going to find to do the same type of treatment. My boss did not use the Pierce technique.

In my hunt, I did find another chiropractor who only adjusts cervicals and saw him for a couple years. He is no longer in practice in the area where I live. I saw such good results too from the treatments I would receive from him.

Presently my lower back only gives me problems when I have been unkind to myself and overworked my lower body by lifting, sitting or lying incorrectly.

I am hoping that once I start physical therapy that I will be more active. Fall is nearly around the corner and for me this is the time of year I feel okay about walking. The weather is just right temp. wise and I don't have to worry too much about falling, ie ice.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 65>