Advertise
With Us 
ChronicPainSite.com Foundation, Inc Personal Homepage
Please, if you have not Donated lately we need your help.
Click here to find out how YOU can help
  Advertise
With Us 

FAQ FAQ   Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New FP Group.. LIFE WITH CHRONIC PAIN
How you can get more control of your health and life.
Click Here
To Our FB page      

Login
Register
---------
ChronicPainSite.com Foundation, Inc
RULES
Navigation
Main Page
Forum Home
About Us
Site Information
Our Advisors
Articles Home
Faces of Pain
Recipe Section
No Pain Pain Scale No Pain

FAQ
Member Control Panel
Login
Register
Walking Conversion Chart

DC's Stories

CP Man Stories

Donate

Pets aiding in your recovery

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
dbarbeau48 View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2013-2016

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbarbeau48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pets aiding in your recovery
    Posted: Aug/29/2008 at 3:51pm
I have two black labs, Henry and Opal. Henry is a 90 pound pure black lab. Henry was very important in my recovery because I started taking him when I walked. My early walks were only a few hundred yards and then my back would go into spasms. When I took Henry, he likes to walk me rather then be walked. He'd pull me along, a little more each day, until I started breaking through the spasm barrier.

We got Opal, the end of May. She was 8 weeks old. She is also a pure black lab. Opal has helped my recovery in other ways. Now that I no longer work, I have time to train her. This helps occupy my day and I get back plenty of love and attention from her. We have a big inground swimming pool and a big fenced in back yard so Opal and Henry have plenty to do and keep them busy. If black labs are bored, LOOK OUT! They have been known to chew up a Toyota and bury the parts. Opal loves to swim and run and jump in the pool, even off the diving board. I haven't been able to dive for 3 years. Anyway, heres my tip for house training a black lab. When the pups in the house, she should be with someone all the time. I put a lease on Opal and she's by me all the time. Look for signs like smelling on the floor while walking around. Grab the pup and put them outside and praise them when they go. Thats how my wife trained me.

I truly believe black labs, maybe all labs, have a keen sense that there is something wrong with you and they are careful and actually watch over you.

Dick
Five knee surgeries from 1970 to 2000. Knee replacement in 2000.Spinal stenosis surgery in May of 2002. Diagnosed with Pseudogout in 2005, effecting hands, knees, and shoulders. Emergency surgery in March of 2006 for spinal infection of L 2 and L 3. During surgery, discovered I had Cauda Equina Syndrome. Spine became unstable after surgery and had 360 fusion with 10 pedicle screws, plates and rods in April of 2007. Retired early as a high school principal. Recently, have had trigger finger surgery on both hands as well as surgery for severe bi-lateral Carpal Tunnel disease.
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2013 at 10:31am
I found this great post by Dick, done in 2008 right after we started the site.  I think it's a wonderful topic for anyone recovering from surgery, or struggling with chronic pain.  So I've bumped it up here, and made it a "sticky" so any member who would like to tell how your pet helps you can do so, and post pictures in this thread also.

Enjoy, and thanks Dick-----a bit of a trip down memory laneThumbs Up

Please donate to help Chronicpainsite.com continue to help others.

My journey with chronic pain began over 30 years ago, while as a young nurse working spinal rehab, I injured my back lifting a patient. I am now fused from L2-S1. I have multiple thoracic and cervical issues. I'm a retired RN/PA and I know and understand the frustrations on both ends of the treatment spectrum of dealing with CP. It's been my goal since 2008, when we started this site, to reach out and help as many people in pain as possible. We will continue the fight as long as we can. Please, if you can help us continue to help you and others, donate. Thank you.
Foxy_Nanny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxy_Nanny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2013 at 1:06pm
I must admit when I returned to England feb 2012 hurt my brother and girlfriend had brought a puppy into the house. As I was recovering from the 50hr journey from NZ, I wasn't out much or working in the first week. Also as the puppy was very very young a matter of weeks he slept alot and we kept each other company which helped instead of being on my own all day.
It was up and down sometimes we would agree to play, and sleep at time, other times we would disagree on when to play or sleep and go for walks. But as Dick said he did know when I was having a bad time of it and would give me extra cuddles and licks and his fav toy and accept he had to lay next to me not on me. 
They all moved out of my house in June 2012 but I visit them occasionally and went round a few times when either I wasn't coping or he wasn't well and again he still knew. However not long after they moved they got another pup, which I don't know very well and he didn't know when I wan't well just that Harley was being protective of me. Harley is now 1 yr old and George 4month? and even though I love them both I couldn't live with them, maybe when they both clam down
Smile
Harley is a pug/begal cross, I think it can just come down to a bond with the pet sometimes
Real Courage is when you know you are licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what. Anon.
Chronic mechanical pain, pelvis, and spine instability, a C1 that keeps slipping from correct position?
missratac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missratac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2013 at 3:03pm
When I have been very depressed, my fancy rats have been a real comfort.
Ann

Osteoarthritis - neck, back, hands, previous polymyalgia rheumatica, Type 2 diabetes, dysthymia/depression. I had one lot of steroid injections to lumbar facet joints and two lots of radio=frequency lesioning - which improved things slightly. I had acute right-sided sciatica prior to my first hip replacement, put down to piriformis syndrome. This didn't go away. I had my left hip replaced a year ago. I also have mild essential tremor (which my mother had severely.) I am having a lot of pain in my thumb joints. Recent blood tests shw normal ESR, CRP, negative rheumatoid factor. Recent x-rays of cervical spine show oste-arthritic changes, lumbar spine - some DDD, mild spondylolisthesis. Appears ostepenic. Hips - both THP appear satisfactory and show no signs of loosening. No response to anlgesics - TENS and physiotherapy helpful. (Live in UK, so on NHS)
Bailey View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2013 at 4:48pm
I agree completely. Like Dick, I have two labs, a 3 yr old female yellow and a two year old male chocolate.

They've sat beside me while I've cried but they never fail to make me laugh, every day. They are totally different dogs. My female has always been quiet and very serious. Every time she lays down she crosses her front paws. Makes me smile every time.

Our chocolate fellow, we swear he's a fourth variety of lab, a meth lab. Yes he is a very excited boy. But give him his exercise and he's the most wonderful, sweet, loving guy you ever met.
I think they not only help in recovery, they help and enrich our lives every day.
DDD C3-C6 with multiple osteophytes causing both moderate foraminal and canal stenosis and flattening and impinging on the spinal cord
Cervical Facet arthritis
Chronic Pain Syndrome
Merlin View Drop Down
Prior Member
Prior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2013 at 5:26pm
I still have the Sparky - the Master Charger

She has settled down a lot now - when I got her I called her Sparky because she was an electric cat - she flew around the house as if she had put her tail into the power point - and I have proof of that charge because the end of her tail is quite black

I know her bio-mum was black - so Dad must have beeen ginger - she has a coupld of ginger stripes new the end of her tail - before the black end - and she is a chocolate tortie - nearly all tortiseshell cats are female and nearly all ginger cats are male - it's the same DNA - and what would I do without my bossy little mate

She seems to know when I am unhappy or in a lot of pain - she gets behind me if she can and pushes her paws into my back and purrs like an aeroplane taking off from the local airport -

And she seems to be talking to me - she mutters away to herself like an old lady - and if she has something to tell me she keeps muttering and meowing until she has finished - and pokes me with a paw if I stop before she does

I think we are going to be a pair of eccentric old ladies together
tkay View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2013 at 6:44pm
Dick,
My black lab was very protective and stayed by my side when I was ill or wasn't feeling well. He was allowed to lay beside me on the bed. He would not ask me to let him out unless I was up already or someone would come home.

I miss him so much.

I do have a German shepherd/lab. He is a sweet boy and he lays on the floor beside my bed.
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbarbeau48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2013 at 8:49am
My dogs keep me active all year round. When we have big snow storms, my labs can't wait to go out and play. One game we play is fetch the ball in the snow. I don't know how they do it, finding the ball buried in a foot of snow, but they do.

Heres Henry and Opal looking for the balls I threw.

Here they are after they found them. Look real close and you'll see they each have a ball in their mouths. Thats Henry in front, Opal in the back. If I didn't have the dogs, I don't think I'd be out in the snow throwing balls around.

Five knee surgeries from 1970 to 2000. Knee replacement in 2000.Spinal stenosis surgery in May of 2002. Diagnosed with Pseudogout in 2005, effecting hands, knees, and shoulders. Emergency surgery in March of 2006 for spinal infection of L 2 and L 3. During surgery, discovered I had Cauda Equina Syndrome. Spine became unstable after surgery and had 360 fusion with 10 pedicle screws, plates and rods in April of 2007. Retired early as a high school principal. Recently, have had trigger finger surgery on both hands as well as surgery for severe bi-lateral Carpal Tunnel disease.
Bailey View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2013 at 10:07am
Mine are the same way Dick. I use a ChuckIt with a bright orange ball. I can use my body to throw instead of my arm. It helps, but we still lose the occasional ball. Temp has risen dramatically the last few days and we've located the two that were lost so far this year.  My female is pretty lazy, but chasing balls in snow and in the pool are two activities that get both of us moving.
DDD C3-C6 with multiple osteophytes causing both moderate foraminal and canal stenosis and flattening and impinging on the spinal cord
Cervical Facet arthritis
Chronic Pain Syndrome
Rocken Roni View Drop Down
Charter - Member
Charter - Member
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocken Roni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2013 at 1:51am
I used to have a yellow Lab and miss her dearly. She was not the runt of the litter but the giant of the litter and she grew up being a very large Yellow lab sort of like yours Dick. She was very smart and went with me every where. Wish I had a picture of her.

Roni

Until one has felt the Love of an animal,
a part of their Soul remains Unawakened.

Unknown

1st injured Feb, 1997. Was told it was "Soft Tissue" and sent back to work - no X-rays
Late 1997 attended 1st Rehab Program to strengthen back. Mid 98 PCP took me off work. Tried going back to work over the next couple years, mostly off work due to pain.
June 2000, met with OS for first time. Did MRI , damage was L5-S1 totally blown out. Surgery done Jan, 2001.
Another Rehab program late 2001, attempted to go back to work early 2002. Slipped on water, fell flat on back screw fusion broke.
Went to 3rd Rehab program summer 2002.
Oct 2003 - 2nd Surgery, due to broken screw, had to operate from the front.
No improvement. Attended 4th Rehab program in 2004, at time It was decided NO work.
March 2006, had 3rd Surgery, this time fusion and instrumentation from Si to L3.
June 2008 Surgeon finally admitted I had Failed Back Surgery.
August 2009 WCB Finally put me on Long Term Disability
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbarbeau48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2013 at 1:40pm
I'll tell you pets can really take your mind off of your pain. Its been bitterly cold these last 4 days here. My 2 dogs still want to go out but I don't leave them out. They have a routine. Opal, the young lab, is an expert in catching frisbees midflight and sometimes will flip the frisbee with her snout and catch it. She taught herself this. She also loves to perform for people. Henry, our old lab is content to be on a leash standing with me when we are out front while Opal performs for walkers and joggers anyd anyone who stops to watch her. Now, when we go out back its a different story for Henry. Our back yard is fenced in so he needs no lease. He needs one out front because he's big and overly friendly and it scares people. So out back, I throw the frisbee many times and Opal does her thing. Henry will pick up another frisbee and walk around with it but neither retrieves or fetches. He just holds it. That is until he decides to steal Opal's frisbee. Then the fun really starts. He has a bad left hip so his sprinting days are over. He waits patiently until he springs into action. His technique is simple. Put his front paws over Opal and pin her to the ground. To an untrained eye, it looks like old Henry is trying to hump Opal but its really him showing her he is dominant. My wife loves to watch all this from the warm comforts of our home. When we came in from today's fun, my wife says to me "I have given Henry a new name. He is an English breed of Lab so I am going to call him Sir Humpsalot." The one liners usually come from me in our house but this was a good one from Nancy. I'm still laughing at it. I'll let her call Henry that, I'll just call him Humprey. I never seem to suffer from pain when my dogs are playing.

Dick
Bailey View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2013 at 3:53pm
Great story Dick,

That sounds like one of your lines, glad Nancy can get so much enjoyment out of watching them.

Mine are the oppostite. My male, chocolate lab, is non-stop. He flies out the door, grabs a ball and that's it. He can barely stand to drop the ball long enough for me to launch it with the Chcuk-it.

My female, yellow lab, she strolls around sniffing for rabbit poop. I think she believes they're M&Ms. Once in a blue moon she decides to chase the ball, but if she actually gets it, she lays down and crosses her front paws. Pleased as can be with herself.

Like you, I don't feel much pain when I'm watching them. Even though I needed 4 layers of clothes on to take them out.
Cervical Facet arthritis
Chronic Pain Syndrome
missratac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missratac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2013 at 4:43pm
My gorgeous rats really help!
Ann

Osteoarthritis - neck, back, hands, previous polymyalgia rheumatica, Type 2 diabetes, dysthymia/depression. I had one lot of steroid injections to lumbar facet joints and two lots of radio=frequency lesioning - which improved things slightly. I had acute right-sided sciatica prior to my first hip replacement, put down to piriformis syndrome. This didn't go away. I had my left hip replaced a year ago. I also have mild essential tremor (which my mother had severely.) I am having a lot of pain in my thumb joints. Recent blood tests shw normal ESR, CRP, negative rheumatoid factor. Recent x-rays of cervical spine show oste-arthritic changes, lumbar spine - some DDD, mild spondylolisthesis. Appears ostepenic. Hips - both THP appear satisfactory and show no signs of loosening. No response to anlgesics - TENS and physiotherapy helpful. (Live in UK, so on NHS)
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2013 at 6:35pm
It's been documented that pets bring down blood pressure and increase feelings of well being.  How can you NOT love them ----from Ann's rats to Bailey and Dick's Labs----to Lin's Sparky----Ronnie's Riley the love bird and all else in between.  Not to forget, Ned the wonder dog.  Oh, and don't ask why he is a "wonder dog"---no clue, but do we ever need one? LOL

My husband's Cardiologist let's his two Golden Retrievers have free reign/roam of his office and the patients adore them.  Watching the smiles on the faces of people who may not have had anything to smile about in awhile is enjoyment at it's best.

Dick---LOVE Nancy's one liner.  Wicked smart, that bride of yours is.Clap

My journey with chronic pain began over 30 years ago, while as a young nurse working spinal rehab, I injured my back lifting a patient. I am now fused from L2-S1. I have multiple thoracic and cervical issues. I'm a retired RN/PA and I know and understand the frustrations on both ends of the treatment spectrum of dealing with CP. It's been my goal since 2008, when we started this site, to reach out and help as many people in pain as possible. We will continue the fight as long as we can. Please, if you can help us continue to help you and others, donate. Thank you.
Merlin View Drop Down
Prior Member
Prior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2013 at 7:07pm
I don't know why Sparky is the Master Charger either Stevie

This dark - long and leggy teenage tortie came in a Barbie Box and started running around my unit like an electric cat - hence her name - and the black tip on the end of her tail is obviously where she gets a little burned when she sticks into a power board

I don't know what I would do without her - when I take my snack/tablets/heat pack and go back to bed for my day-dream/prayer/meditation experience - Sparky is very much present 

It took a while for her to learn that she was not being let out first thing - she's nine and it's only been in the last couple of years she will use the litter tray without a lot of yowling at the front door

But one thing - how can such a small cat take up such a big space on a Queen bed?
tkay View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2013 at 9:27pm
Dick i love watching lab german shepherd. When we first got him he didnt kniw to play. He and my husband play hide n seek. Of course my little terrier gives my h's location aaay to the lab. It is truly a joy having dogs and even cats. We have three and two just enjoy sitting in our laps and being scratched behind the ears or just loved on. We get rewarded with purrs. Ghey figured thst out on their own too.
Charter - Member
Charter - Member
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocken Roni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2013 at 3:43am
When I look back on my life, I can't think of a time when I had not had a pet except during my morning in loosing a beloved pet. Then after awhile I get another one, and I know the ones I have lost will be waiting for me in heaven.

As far back as i can remember our Dad always made sure our family had a couple of pets weather it be a few cats or dogs or both. We even had a couple of pet cows. Life was so much simpler back then. As I grow older I find it even more necessary to have a pet. I totally love my little Love Bird. It's amazing how much love can come from such a small little bird. I would be lost w/o any of my pets I have right now. nIt's just been a year since we lost Rusty and we miss him Dearly but that's the way things go. Yes, Pets do help with our health.

Roni

Unknown

1st injured Feb, 1997. Was told it was "Soft Tissue" and sent back to work - no X-rays
Late 1997 attended 1st Rehab Program to strengthen back. Mid 98 PCP took me off work. Tried going back to work over the next couple years, mostly off work due to pain.
June 2000, met with OS for first time. Did MRI , damage was L5-S1 totally blown out. Surgery done Jan, 2001.
Another Rehab program late 2001, attempted to go back to work early 2002. Slipped on water, fell flat on back screw fusion broke.
No improvement. Attended 4th Rehab program in 2004, at time It was decided NO work.
March 2006, had 3rd Surgery, this time fusion and instrumentation from Si to L3.
Edie View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2013 at 10:50pm
Your dogs are so beautiful Dick. I am sure they are lot of fun. Sometimes a think it would be fun to get one, but I don't dare to. I am afraid I would not be able to take good care of them, also afraid of loosing it again, as it happened with the one I had many years ago. It did get hit by a truck right in front .me...Edie
Chronic pain throughout the spine caused by osteoarthritis (DDD). Started at neck, spread to thoracic, and lately to lumbar area. Most of my spine is affected by bulges, disc height loss and dehydration, bone spurs, annular tears, foraminal stenosis, probable nerve impingement, and degeneration at end plates and facets.

The disease extends from Cervical C2-3 to C7-T1. Thoracic T4 to T10.
Lumbar T12-L1 to L5-S1.
It is all non operable.

Other conditions
TKR R Knee.
Torn ACL, MCL L knee,
Pain on legs and calves
Deep vein thrombosis
Migraine headaches
Painful spots all over scalp
COPD
Hypertension
Chronic Hyperventilation. Caused by anxiety or stress
Chronic depression and insomnia
missratac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missratac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2013 at 2:07am
I was feeling very low and my back was playing up last night.  I was on a facilitated chat, but decided to get ReepiSheep, my quietest, favourite rat out.  I was on the computer with my nose buried in his curly fur, or with his curly whiskers and cold nose rubbing against me!
Ann

Charter - Member
Charter - Member
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocken Roni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2013 at 4:40am
Ann,
I bet your little rat calmed you and made you feel better just holding him/her. I know when I'm down I feel comforted when my pets are around me.

Roni

Unknown

Spaffy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spaffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2014 at 4:40am
Nice post 

I would love a dog to help me out not only in my recovery but in general. I'm really jealous of you to have Henry and Opal. All I have is lots of Gheckos that are not really pets but do help in keeping the mosquitoes away. 
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbarbeau48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2014 at 1:10pm
Thanks Spaffy, Opal and Henry are really a joy. We were in our yard today and it was time for their annual bath. Labs keep themselves pretty clean and order free but they shed pretty bad. So I give them a bath using a shed shampoo. Now here's the strange part. Opal loves to swim and dive in our in ground pool. Henry will not go in the pool he hates it. But when it comes to a bath, Henry loves it and Opal cries like a baby. Go figure.

Dick
Merlin View Drop Down
Prior Member
Prior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2014 at 6:11pm
Trying to work our animals out is amusing - they are all clever - they have their traits and pick up human traits as they go along

At least we imagine that

Right now the sun is shining into the front room but Sparky is asleep in my bed at the back of the house where the sun comes in during the afternoon - I guess she knows if she lies there all curled up and cute the sun will find her eventually

My son's cat - Candy - use to hide in his bed after he'd gone to school - but she forgot her tail - and I never got grey, striped sheets to make her camouflage work

The other cat - Blackie - had her tail amputated because she had been abused before she found us - and we had her wounds treated and fed her and loved her - but she was off out the door as soon as she'd come in for brekky

She didn't have a tail to hide

Yeah - fun - aint it
Charter - Member
Charter - Member
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocken Roni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2014 at 1:12am
Spaffy,
It's not right that a person can't have a pet where they live. There are so many places like that. Pets help you to heal and helps you stay healthy. Someday animals might be able to live anywhere. So many could be adopted! I'm sorry you can't have a Pet.

Unknown

Charter - Member
Charter - Member
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocken Roni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2014 at 7:06am
Curvy,
What a nice looking dog. What is his name and what breed is he.

Unknown

mopar girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mopar girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2014 at 2:48pm
I have 3 cats that will constantly come and snuggle or try to sit on my stomach if im having an attack. All three will come to me on the couch and there's been times where all of them are around me. It makes it comforting except when they knead you on your pain area. lol. I can't wait to get a dog. We would like a great dane just don't have the room right now. I can be upset or hurting but the feeling of unconditional love from my cats is the most amazing feeling. Being alone at home isn't so overwhelming anymore. I would like to share some pictures if anyone can guide me how please. Has anyone heard of purr therapy before?

The best moment is when our one cat Holley wants to play. She will bring a toy to me on the couch and play fetch. My other cat Patience loves belly rubs. She is attached to my son since he had surgery for a burst appendix last year. He was 7 years old at the time and when he came home there was 6 weeks recovery still to go at home due to an infection. At the hospital they had people bring in their dogs to come visit the children at the hospital. That was the first time my son got out of bed in a couple days just so he could come meet the puppy. Its a wonderful program they have. All the cats in the house stayed with him constantly when he got home. He loves giving belly rubs to Patience.

Tiny is our third cat. He is very attached to me. Anytime I am walking around the house he jumps on my shoulders and lays across them. He actually gets upset if he can't rest on my shoulders. He is a very stubborn cat though. He was a rescue from some people we had become friends with. We were asked to watch him while they were on holidays and the condition he came to us in was quite shocking. The vet said if we wouldn't have brought him in Tiny would not have survived.
I feel that when we do get a dog it will be easier to get out of the house. Even if it is playing in our backyard or going for a walk, it would be great to get out more.
 Our animals never judge us and have nothing but love for us. They comfort us in times of need and never complain. Things here would be a lot harder if I didn't have the companionship or comfort of my animals.
Charter - Member
Charter - Member
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocken Roni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2014 at 2:55am
Some people make it hard to have animals where they are living. Here in town where I live just about every add you see they don't allow pets. It's terrible. I'm lucky as I own my own home and have a dog cat and a bird. I would love to adopt an older dog that needs a forever home. But my dog won't allow another dog in her yard. Well,,,,, It;s nice to hear about other peoples animals.

Unknown

Merlin View Drop Down
Prior Member
Prior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2014 at 7:01pm
I live in the suburbs and I have the council workers coming into clean and I am supposed to put Sparky in another room -

So when the people who I only have rarely I ask if "This is a problem" and it never is. The regulars look for her the moment they turn up and unless she has gone off for a long search for the North West Passage or the Roman Roads leading to Rome - and away from it for that matter - Sparky will turn up stretching elaborately and then sniffing people's shoes - which my kids' Dad called "Reading the Newspapers"

When I ring for the locum doctor I am sometimes asked if I have a dog and to tie it up if I do - my answer is _ "No dog - just a cat who will love him to death"

I love to get into bed an snuggling with Sparky - she loves it too - and we can celebrate that purr - what a purr - it brings my pain-spike down very quickly
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbarbeau48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2017 at 5:22pm
Lost Opal yesterday. She was joy to have. She was suffering from Lymphedema as a result of cancer. She got to use the pool everyday since we opened it in late May. We've lost both our black labs the past 3 years. We did get a golden retriever a little over two years ago. His name is Sparky. He'll be our last dog. We are too old and too sore to keep a young dog active.
Dick
Renee View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014-2017

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2017 at 5:44pm
I'm so sorry about Opal, Dick.  I know the feeling as we had to have our Choc. Lab Coco put down last May, hip dysplasia got the best of her and she was almost 14 years.  Not an easy decision. They become members of your family.  So glad you have Sparky.  Jenny our newest choc. lab was a year old in June.  This will be our last dog also.  Sometimes I have the thought"what was I thinking?" after we got her at eight weeks old but very attached to her and her to me, very high strung and full of energy. She is a good puppy and has settled down somewhat.  The house wasn't the same without a lab. 
underactive thyroid 20 years, history of kidney stones, had lithotripsy eight or nine times thru the past 30 years.
Had left knee drained twice in past year, prednisone injection afterwards in knee. Had prednisone injection month before 2nd spinal surgery but no draining - all due to arthritis.
spinal surgery 7/07 with fusing L3-L5, spinal stenosis, DDD
7mm anterolisthesis of L4 on L5
Lots and lots of nerve pain down legs.
2nd spinal surgery 1/20/15 Post lumbar L2/3 fusion XLIF L2/3. Admission diagnosis:
Degeneration of lumbar or lumbosacral intervertebral disc(degeneration of lumbar disc-radiculitis-_
Thoracic or lumbosacral neuritis or radiculitis, unspecified. Other musculoskeletal symptoms referable to limbs(729.89)
Spinal stenosis, lumbar region, without neurogenic claudication. s/p an post spinal fusion, s/p ant post spinal fusion
3/16 double knee arthoscopic surgery due to torn meniscus in each knee and gel injections in each - toxic allergic reaction in left knee from gel.
Bailey View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2017 at 4:10am
I'm so sorry Dick.
Cervical Facet arthritis
Chronic Pain Syndrome
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2017 at 10:10am
to you and Nancy Dick. I'm so sad for you. Thank you for sharing Opals photos for years. We have loved watching her antics!!

tkay View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2017 at 3:53pm
I'm sorry to hear Opal has passed. I am thinking of you and Nancy, Dick, I hope the memories you have of Opal help you through this time.

It is hard when a beloved pet dies.
 Post Reply Post Reply