Advertise
With Us 
ChronicPainSite.com Foundation, Inc Personal Homepage
Please, if you have not Donated lately we need your help.
Click here to find out how YOU can help
  Advertise
With Us 

FAQ FAQ   Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New FP Group.. LIFE WITH CHRONIC PAIN
How you can get more control of your health and life.
Click Here
To Our FB page      

Login
Register
---------
ChronicPainSite.com Foundation, Inc
RULES
Navigation
Main Page
Forum Home
About Us
Site Information
Our Advisors
Articles Home
Faces of Pain
Recipe Section
No Pain Pain Scale No Pain

FAQ
Member Control Panel
Login
Register
Walking Conversion Chart

DC's Stories

CP Man Stories

Donate

Marjorie is having spinal surgery

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
livvysmom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote livvysmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Marjorie is having spinal surgery
    Posted: Jul/08/2014 at 9:17am
Hello all! Long time no see. After almost a year of waiting and writing letters to have surgery sooner, the day is finally coming. 9 days left! I don't know if its a PLIF but what he has scheduled is a discectomy, laminectomy with nerve root decompression, screw fusion, and who knows what else because I haven't seen my notes. I just hear bits and pieces from various pre-op doctors. From what I understand, they do not give you any help to take home (grabber, toilet seat, etc.) My mom is coming from America to help to take care of me. Hubby will have his hands full with 2 and 4 year old. Anywho, I am very extremely nervous. But my 2 year old now asks, " does mommy's back hurt?" and "is mommy's back better yet?". Its unbelievably heart breaking to hear that. Any last minute tips and tricks etc that I should know? Anything at all!
Fusion, Laminectomy, and Discectomy for spondylolisthesis, l5/s1 disc bulge, degenerate disc, bilateral foraminal stenosis, bilateral sciatica, bilateral pars defect. Also have Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction, hypermobility syndrome, cyclothymia, GAD, ptsd, tmj/ Current medication is Lamotrogine 125 mg, Duloxetine, Cerazette, Baclofen, Morphine, Ibprofen, Dihydrocodeine, Amitryptaline / Tried Epidural Steroid Injection, Massage, Physio, Gabepentin, Pregabalin, Butrans patches and pills, Aleve, and much more.
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2014 at 9:53am
Finally!!!!  I'm very happy for you, and also that your Mom is coming to help you and your hubby out.  Here is a list of pre and post op needs done by a member quite a while ago,http://chronicpainsite.com/mb/forum_posts.asp?TID=709&title=pre-op-and-post-op-surgey-needs  It is quite complete and will help you with ideas.

Keep us posted and all of the very best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.  Stevie

Please donate to help Chronicpainsite.com continue to help others.

My journey with chronic pain began over 30 years ago, while as a young nurse working spinal rehab, I injured my back lifting a patient. I am now fused from L2-S1. I have multiple thoracic and cervical issues. I'm a retired RN/PA and I know and understand the frustrations on both ends of the treatment spectrum of dealing with CP. It's been my goal since 2008, when we started this site, to reach out and help as many people in pain as possible. We will continue the fight as long as we can. Please, if you can help us continue to help you and others, donate. Thank you.
pete81241 View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2013/14/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pete81241 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2014 at 12:36pm
hey maRJORIE YOURE BACK...ITS BEEN A LONG TIME...
that is wonderful you are going to gety that s1/L5 fixed...i remember how much the pain was bothering you...
how are the kids? and your kind husband?
so they are going to fuse[join] those two vertebrae...
try and get the doc to explain the procedure. a fusion should stabilize the area. theres never a guarantee the pain ewill be gone but at least you have a shot...
it would be good to get a reacher and please read the article stevie mentioned...
you may be wearing a brace for a while after the surgery...Smilepal pete
parkinsons disease.men1 genetic disorder. endocrine tumors in pituitary gland and pancreas. carpel tunnel syndrome. spinal stenosis.sleep apnea.vast knowledge of crutches and wheelchairs.borderline diabetic.gerd. both hips replaced. spinal stimulator. 7 spine surgeries/fusions. pain pump trial.Thrombocytopenia. no spleen.
Bailey View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2013-2016

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2014 at 5:08am
Great news Marjorie!

I'm so glad you're getting this taken care of and that your Mom is coming over to help you. We'll all be thinking of you and sending good wishes your way.

DDD C3-C6 with multiple osteophytes causing both moderate foraminal and canal stenosis and flattening and impinging on the spinal cord
Cervical Facet arthritis
Chronic Pain Syndrome
cindylou_38 View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cindylou_38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2014 at 9:14am
Wishing all the best.
Crisis Service
Local 905-666-0483
Toll free 1-800-742-1890
livvysmom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote livvysmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2014 at 7:29am
Horrible news today. My surgery has to be postponed to god knows when because I need a root canal for abscessed tooth. I am so stressed out and my mom has non-refundable tickets...
Fusion, Laminectomy, and Discectomy for spondylolisthesis, l5/s1 disc bulge, degenerate disc, bilateral foraminal stenosis, bilateral sciatica, bilateral pars defect. Also have Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction, hypermobility syndrome, cyclothymia, GAD, ptsd, tmj/ Current medication is Lamotrogine 125 mg, Duloxetine, Cerazette, Baclofen, Morphine, Ibprofen, Dihydrocodeine, Amitryptaline / Tried Epidural Steroid Injection, Massage, Physio, Gabepentin, Pregabalin, Butrans patches and pills, Aleve, and much more.
livvysmom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote livvysmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2014 at 7:31am
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2014 at 7:50am
Is there a huge wait for a root canal?  Hopefully you can get this done right away and not postpone the surgery.  I'm terribly sorry to hear about this, and would be fighting to get the tooth fixed now, and not postpone surgery.  If not, most airlines will charge a ticket fee change, but the ticket should be good for a year.  Stevie

My journey with chronic pain began over 30 years ago, while as a young nurse working spinal rehab, I injured my back lifting a patient. I am now fused from L2-S1. I have multiple thoracic and cervical issues. I'm a retired RN/PA and I know and understand the frustrations on both ends of the treatment spectrum of dealing with CP. It's been my goal since 2008, when we started this site, to reach out and help as many people in pain as possible. We will continue the fight as long as we can. Please, if you can help us continue to help you and others, donate. Thank you.
pete81241 View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pete81241 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2014 at 8:57am
i am so sorry this has happened. is it too late for your mom to get trip insurance?.....pal pete
parkinsons disease.men1 genetic disorder. endocrine tumors in pituitary gland and pancreas. carpel tunnel syndrome. spinal stenosis.sleep apnea.vast knowledge of crutches and wheelchairs.borderline diabetic.gerd. both hips replaced. spinal stimulator. 7 spine surgeries/fusions. pain pump trial.Thrombocytopenia. no spleen.
livvysmom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote livvysmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2014 at 9:55am
The root canal is happening on the 14th which would have been 3 days before my op. However they want to make sure that the infection is completely gone before the spinal surgery. They said that I have to be in tip top shape for the spinal surgery and don't want to risk it. The spinal surgeries are all booked up until the 31st of July. My mom is coming on the 2nd of August. So, I have a feeling that I may be in the hospital while she is here which is what we wanted to avoid. She swears that there is no way to change the date of the flight but I will ask her to check again. I wish that I wouldn't have called the pre-op team to ask if it was okay. Then I could have just gotten the tooth fixed and walked in for surgery and no one would have been any the wiser.
Bailey View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2014 at 1:18pm
Oh Marjorie,

I'm so sorry. What a roller coaster the past while has been. And that sure doesn't help pain levels.

I hope your mom can change the flight dates. If there's any chance of an ongoing infection, surgery is too risky, and your family needs you to come home.

I'll be watching to see what's happening. So sorry for this delay.

DDD C3-C6 with multiple osteophytes causing both moderate foraminal and canal stenosis and flattening and impinging on the spinal cord
Cervical Facet arthritis
Chronic Pain Syndrome
pete81241 View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pete81241 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2014 at 1:52pm
stevie could tell you more about this but teeth are important to watch carefully when you are having things done to your body...after my many operations i have to take antibiotics prior to any teeth work. infection can easily get into the major organs of the biody through the teeth. the heart especially is vulnerable. you did the right thing telling the surgeons office....pal pete
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2014 at 2:25pm
Marjorie---

Having a root canal 3 days prior to major surgery (even without an infection) would be taking a risk.  I've had root canals fail, and there is no way you would want to have that kind of pain in your jaw along with post op fusion pain.  And, of course, if you are still on antibiotics and there is any chance of an ongoing infection surgery must be canceled. 

Ask them if you are on a cancellation list?  Things happen all of the time, just as this unfortunate incident happened to you.  So, there could well be a chance that you can still get in prior to sometime after the 31st.  I really do hope that your tooth gets better quickly and you get into surgery ASAP----and also that your Mom can change her flight.  Hug

Rocken Roni View Drop Down
Charter - Member
Charter - Member
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocken Roni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2014 at 3:34am
Hi Marjorie,
I hope everything works out for you. Getting a root canal can be quite painful.
Going on a cancellation list as Stevie mentions is a very good idea. Gives your abscessed tooth time to heal.

Until one has felt the Love of an animal,
a part of their Soul remains Unawakened.

Unknown

1st injured Feb, 1997. Was told it was "Soft Tissue" and sent back to work - no X-rays
Late 1997 attended 1st Rehab Program to strengthen back. Mid 98 PCP took me off work. Tried going back to work over the next couple years, mostly off work due to pain.
June 2000, met with OS for first time. Did MRI , damage was L5-S1 totally blown out. Surgery done Jan, 2001.
Another Rehab program late 2001, attempted to go back to work early 2002. Slipped on water, fell flat on back screw fusion broke.
Went to 3rd Rehab program summer 2002.
Oct 2003 - 2nd Surgery, due to broken screw, had to operate from the front.
No improvement. Attended 4th Rehab program in 2004, at time It was decided NO work.
March 2006, had 3rd Surgery, this time fusion and instrumentation from Si to L3.
June 2008 Surgeon finally admitted I had Failed Back Surgery.
August 2009 WCB Finally put me on Long Term Disability
livvysmom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote livvysmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2014 at 1:24pm
Sorry guys I have been really busy. I had my surgery after my mom left but at least she helped me prepare for surgery. It has been 4 weeks+ since surgery and honestly I don't know what to say. Unfortunately, my left leg is numb down the dermatome l5-s1. My right leg is in agony constantly and of course my back still hurts. In a nutshell...my pain is worse and doesn't seem to be improving. I know it's a slow process and I am trying to give it time. I am doing my physical therapy and the therapist says my legs are extremely weak. Also (sorry if TMI) my incontinence seems to be worse since the surgery. My first post op appointment is middle of October. I am taking dihydrocodeine and morphine since instead of the Butrans because we were all hoping that the pain wouldn't be chronic anymore. But my gut feeling is that the nerves were compressed for too long (7 years) c'est la vie.
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2014 at 2:36pm
Oh, I'm truly sorry that you are still in so much pain. 4 weeks is still early days, and I'm glad you are doing therapy. Let's hope that there wasn't permanent nerve damage, but I honestly do think you need to give it time.

If incontinence issues continue to get worse I think it would be a good idea to contact your surgeon prior to your apt next month. Stevie

livvysmom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote livvysmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 4:38pm
9 almost 10 weeks post op and still in excruciating pain. I have filed for disability and asked for a letter from my doctor and according to my notes I have Sacroiliac Joint dysfunction. Yeah, thanks for telling me doc. Don't think you could have told me this before the fusion?
livvysmom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote livvysmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 4:43pm
oh and p.s. I have no knee jerk reflexes
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 6:59pm
I am truly sorry. I think that waiting too long for any surgery if it's it to be done is vital.

There are options for you to explore __a SCS (spinal cord stimulater) may be one.

Are you doing PT? Don't give up. 10 weeks isn't long.

pete81241 View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pete81241 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 10:34pm
i know what having a failed back surgery is like. and its not fun...
but there is hope for relief. as stevie mentioned there is the spinal cord stimulator. there is also the pain pump that pumps narcotics into the spine. plus there is technology that will bring future solutions. plus back do change and sometimes for the better. i think i got a natural fusion in my spine that took some pain away. and then there are miracles...they do happen. its not the end of the world. look at the good family you have...
just keep moving as best you can while in your most comfortable position...pal pete

Merlin View Drop Down
Prior Member
Prior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2014 at 7:00pm
I am so sorry Marjorie

You did not need that - if the situation had gone too far then it would have been better to have left well enough alone

Here - pain specialists will give narcotics a chance if the situation looks ambiguous - but you would never have had to wait that long if you had insurance

Again - I am sorry - I know 10 weeks isn't long - but you should not be in excruciating pain at this stage
livvysmom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote livvysmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2014 at 9:18am
14 weeks now.  Still in so much pain when walking. I know that I overdo it sometimes but I am just trying to lead a normal life.  My doc will not do xrays until January.  He said it's pointless until 6 months post op.  I agree to a certain extent but the suspense is killing me.  I already have a feeling how its going.  Unfortunately, I feel like I already know.  It doesn't feel right.  I've read about those people who wake up from surgery and are magically better and how by 6 weeks they were back at work.  That isn't my case.  I cannot imagine myself working like this at all.  I do things around the house and then fall onto the couch in horrible pain when I am finished.  I pay for it for a week and repeat.  I do try to take it easy but with 2 kids (little one just turned 3 yesterday!) of 3 and 4, its impossible to be still.  I am also trying to sell everything in my household to move to America so that I can at least have a bit of help and a babysitter sometimes.  Its a never-ending cycle of work, pain, work, pain repeat.  And it hurts ridiculously.  Its like a horrible gut-wrenching sharp, deep pain that starts in my back and drags me to the ground until my hips and legs are too weak to move and then I am done, finished until the next time I try.  It usually takes a few hours to recover enough to get off the couch.  I hate this.  But they say (I am not religious though) that God only gives you what you can handle.  And to tell you the truth, I CAN handle it as long as I do not have to work or have any expectations of getting something done by a certain day.  Otherwise it will not get done in time.  Anywho, I have decided to give up for today.  I have got to slow down because it is to the point now that the pain isn't subsiding which means that I will be recovering for a few days (as usual). I do have so much to do, but I have to take my time and do it right so that I do not lay there in excruciating pain everyday.  Wish me luck and strength.  Thanks for listening.
pete81241 View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pete81241 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2014 at 10:20am
its a pain...i know.
you need to adjust. i'm like you but use a power chair. i can do tons of work on it...is that an option. you can buy a used one.....pal pete
livvysmom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote livvysmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2014 at 10:42am
A power chair? As in a powered wheel chair? Unfortunately I don't have room for it in my little house however when I go shopping I use the store's wheel chair.  However when I move to America it would definitely be an option as my house there is pretty big and my parents live down the road.  I am sure I will be back and forth between my house and mom and dad's house.  Definitely an option then.  But I don't think my mom would "allow" it.  She has rheumatoid arthritis and is a very head strong woman who has no time for weakness.  I have put stools in the kitchen so that I can sit down in between doing work.  I can sit down and so the dishes and sit down and fold clothes.  I got a grabber so that I don't have to constantly bend over to pick up toys. Its only the sweeping mopping vacuuming and taking the trash out...and mowing the lawn...and cleaning the bathtub and making the beds that kill me.  I try my best but I can only do so much.  Its such a pain in the a$$.  lol.  Literally. Pun totally intended.  Well, I will talk to you guys again soon.  I am going to go eat and take more meds. 
Rocken Roni View Drop Down
Charter - Member
Charter - Member
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocken Roni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2014 at 12:52pm
Hi Marjorie,
You can get smaller wheel chairs now instead of those big ones. I'm thinking of getting a smaller. Not sure where to go ATM.
Do you think you could get a student in to help do the vacuuming etc?

It sounds like you will have a nice big house in the US. When will you be moving? I wish you Luck in your move and I hope your pain doesn't get worse with the move, remember to Pace yourself.

Until one has felt the Love of an animal,
a part of their Soul remains Unawakened.

Unknown

1st injured Feb, 1997. Was told it was "Soft Tissue" and sent back to work - no X-rays
Late 1997 attended 1st Rehab Program to strengthen back. Mid 98 PCP took me off work. Tried going back to work over the next couple years, mostly off work due to pain.
June 2000, met with OS for first time. Did MRI , damage was L5-S1 totally blown out. Surgery done Jan, 2001.
Another Rehab program late 2001, attempted to go back to work early 2002. Slipped on water, fell flat on back screw fusion broke.
Went to 3rd Rehab program summer 2002.
Oct 2003 - 2nd Surgery, due to broken screw, had to operate from the front.
No improvement. Attended 4th Rehab program in 2004, at time It was decided NO work.
March 2006, had 3rd Surgery, this time fusion and instrumentation from Si to L3.
June 2008 Surgeon finally admitted I had Failed Back Surgery.
August 2009 WCB Finally put me on Long Term Disability
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2014 at 1:53pm
I don't think it's unrealistic to have an X-ray 3 months post-op fusion.  If the fusion is "taking" there should be signs of it now.

Are you wearing a back brace when you are up and moving around?  I wonder if that wouldn't help you.  I'm afraid that there is no magic bullet here in regards to how long this will take.  As I recall, you had severe nerve pain for a long time prior to surgery------my question, especially when you can get back to the States is if regeneration is going to happen.  Is the pain mostly in your back or your legs?  What medications are you on?

No one jumps up after a fusion and is fine in 6 weeks.  A laminectomy/discectomy yes-----not a fusion.  It's a process that varies from person to person.  So please don't be discouraged by what you read about anyone else.  We are all different and you have the very hard job of caring for young children in addition to healing.

I hope you can get back to the States soon-----you will have help and you can get a new Dr to look over what has been done and monitor your progress AND----I hope you have been having Physical Therapy.  Stevie

Post Reply Post Reply