Advertise
With Us 
ChronicPainSite.com Foundation, Inc Personal Homepage
Please, if you have not Donated lately we need your help.
Click here to find out how YOU can help
  Advertise
With Us 

FAQ FAQ   Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New FP Group.. LIFE WITH CHRONIC PAIN
How you can get more control of your health and life.
Click Here
To Our FB page      

Login
Register
---------
ChronicPainSite.com Foundation, Inc
RULES
Navigation
Main Page
Forum Home
About Us
Site Information
Our Advisors
Articles Home
Faces of Pain
Recipe Section
No Pain Pain Scale No Pain

FAQ
Member Control Panel
Login
Register
Walking Conversion Chart

DC's Stories

CP Man Stories

Donate

Another Carpal Tunnel Surgery!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nikoma View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another Carpal Tunnel Surgery!
    Posted: Sep/06/2014 at 12:39am
Here's my thread Stevie!

I'm having my right wrist cut open on the 11th.  I had the left done back in 2009.  My doc thought it was odd for my left to go first since I'm right handed.  I'm seeing a different doc this time and I like him better.

Last time it took me a month and a half to recover, though not complete.  I didn't regain full strength until about 6 months after.  It will be interesting to see how I recover this time.  

I'm ready for it but still nervous.  The first one didn't go so well.  The surgery itself was successful but not something I'd like to remember and remember it I do.  You see the block they put on my hand didn't work completely and the propofol didn't work completely either.  So, I was awake (mostly just really sleepy) and could feel everything.  I believe I said some not so nice things to the doc and the anesthesiologist gave me more.  I fell asleep, finally, when he was putting the stitches in.

I've warned my new doc about it but it still makes me nervous.  I really hope they DO knock me out this time.

Please donate to help Chronicpainsite.com continue to help others.
“Therefore, let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.” ― Doreen Valiente --- Diagnosis: Endometriosis. PCOS. Major Depression. Inflamatory Autoimmune Disorder. Undifferentiated Spondyloarthropathy. Fibromyalgia. Dystonia. Reverse Cervical Lordosis. C1 twisted 1.5° to the left. Moderate to Severe Arthritis in L2, L3, L4 & L5, as well as S1, S2 & S3. Muscle and Nerve damage in right leg, permanent left ankle injury.
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2014 at 7:34am
Nik----

You will see the anesthesiologist prior to being taken into the OR, and if you don't tell the nurse that you want to see him and talk to him.  Let HIM know what happened last time so he can do a better job of the nerve block and sedation.

Best of luck-----this is a procedure that should go really well, and I know it's hard to put a bad experience out of your mind.  Keep us posted and sending hugs to you for a great outcome!!!  Stevie

My journey with chronic pain began over 30 years ago, while as a young nurse working spinal rehab, I injured my back lifting a patient. I am now fused from L2-S1. I have multiple thoracic and cervical issues. I'm a retired RN/PA and I know and understand the frustrations on both ends of the treatment spectrum of dealing with CP. It's been my goal since 2008, when we started this site, to reach out and help as many people in pain as possible. We will continue the fight as long as we can. Please, if you can help us continue to help you and others, donate. Thank you.
pete81241 View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2013/14/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pete81241 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2014 at 3:57pm
after the experience you had on the left wrist no wonder you are concerned. having had that surgery 50 years ago without being knocked out i know what you mean and hope it goes well this time around....pal pete
parkinsons disease.men1 genetic disorder. endocrine tumors in pituitary gland and pancreas. carpel tunnel syndrome. spinal stenosis.sleep apnea.vast knowledge of crutches and wheelchairs.borderline diabetic.gerd. both hips replaced. spinal stimulator. 7 spine surgeries/fusions. pain pump trial.Thrombocytopenia. no spleen.
Bailey View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2013-2016

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2014 at 4:07pm
Hi Nik,

Sending good thoughts and wishes for a painfree and successful op.
DDD C3-C6 with multiple osteophytes causing both moderate foraminal and canal stenosis and flattening and impinging on the spinal cord
Cervical Facet arthritis
Chronic Pain Syndrome
Rocken Roni View Drop Down
Charter - Member
Charter - Member
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocken Roni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2014 at 4:31pm
Hi Nick,
I'm right handed and my left hand is the one that has Carpal Tunnel. I find this strange also as me doing cross stitch with my right hand and all my left hand does is hold my work!! Anyway,,,,, I am not in enough pain to get something done with it. I wear a brace on my left hand when I go swimming as putting my hand above my head while swimming in the water causes a lot of pain.
I hope everything goes right and that you have a speedy recovery.

Until one has felt the Love of an animal,
a part of their Soul remains Unawakened.

Unknown

1st injured Feb, 1997. Was told it was "Soft Tissue" and sent back to work - no X-rays
Late 1997 attended 1st Rehab Program to strengthen back. Mid 98 PCP took me off work. Tried going back to work over the next couple years, mostly off work due to pain.
June 2000, met with OS for first time. Did MRI , damage was L5-S1 totally blown out. Surgery done Jan, 2001.
Another Rehab program late 2001, attempted to go back to work early 2002. Slipped on water, fell flat on back screw fusion broke.
Went to 3rd Rehab program summer 2002.
Oct 2003 - 2nd Surgery, due to broken screw, had to operate from the front.
No improvement. Attended 4th Rehab program in 2004, at time It was decided NO work.
March 2006, had 3rd Surgery, this time fusion and instrumentation from Si to L3.
June 2008 Surgeon finally admitted I had Failed Back Surgery.
August 2009 WCB Finally put me on Long Term Disability
Nikoma View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2014 at 7:18pm
Thanks guys!  I know the surgery will fix it and even if I'm not put out completely it'll still be worth it.  

I am actually having more pain in my right wrist than when I did before the surgery on my left.  

I've been looking for games to play with a game pad controller because I think I'll be able to do that before playing with a mouse.  I'm hoping that it'll do alright because otherwise I won't have much to do except netflix!

Last time it took so long to recover, I'm seriously hoping that it doesn't take that long this time.

Roni, my main problem the last time was dropping stuff.  I still drop stuff with the right hand but not nearly as many things as I did with the left.  I recommend the surgery.  It fixed me!  Though this time round, we tried a steroid shot which left me symptom free for a little while.  Maybe you could try that?

“Therefore, let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.” ― Doreen Valiente --- Diagnosis: Endometriosis. PCOS. Major Depression. Inflamatory Autoimmune Disorder. Undifferentiated Spondyloarthropathy. Fibromyalgia. Dystonia. Reverse Cervical Lordosis. C1 twisted 1.5° to the left. Moderate to Severe Arthritis in L2, L3, L4 & L5, as well as S1, S2 & S3. Muscle and Nerve damage in right leg, permanent left ankle injury.
Charter - Member
Charter - Member
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocken Roni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2014 at 9:16am
Hummm steroid shots. Nik, I have dropped so many cups that I only have 3 mugs left! I know where you are coming from. Maybe I will ask my Doc about the shots. I dont dear carry a plate of food from the kitchen to our deck as I will most drop it. So I only carry my own plate and play the 3 sec rule when I drop my plate LOL. Sure will talk to my Doc about the shot.

Unknown

1st injured Feb, 1997. Was told it was "Soft Tissue" and sent back to work - no X-rays
Late 1997 attended 1st Rehab Program to strengthen back. Mid 98 PCP took me off work. Tried going back to work over the next couple years, mostly off work due to pain.
June 2000, met with OS for first time. Did MRI , damage was L5-S1 totally blown out. Surgery done Jan, 2001.
Another Rehab program late 2001, attempted to go back to work early 2002. Slipped on water, fell flat on back screw fusion broke.
No improvement. Attended 4th Rehab program in 2004, at time It was decided NO work.
March 2006, had 3rd Surgery, this time fusion and instrumentation from Si to L3.
Nikoma View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2014 at 5:35pm
The dropping stuff was the most annoying!  That's why I went through with the surgery.  I didn't have much pain in my left wrist, I just kept dropping stuff.  I have more pain in my right but I'm dropping stuff so.... off to get cut open!

Nikoma View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2014 at 7:58pm
Had to reschedule the surgery.  It's going to be the 15th instead of the 11th.  Hubby gave me his cold.  And now my hand and wrist hurt more the closer the date gets.  It's like our server died when we decided to buy a new one.  It knows it's going to get fixed and so it's giving me hell.

Charter - Member
Charter - Member
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocken Roni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2014 at 3:23am
Sorry to hear about your date being changed. Well,,,, it's only 4 extra days but that means a lot when your in pain. Sorry your pain is getting worse. Try to do as little as possible. Thinking of you.

Unknown

Nikoma View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2014 at 1:17pm
Thanks Roni.  I pretty much wear the brace at all times now.  I've stopped using a mouse with my laptop because mice hurt.  My Oxy does help with the nerve pain so I'm not too bad off, it's just annoying as hell.  lol

Nikoma View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2014 at 5:59pm
I'm nervous about tomorrow.  My neck has been giving me hell the past couple of days and I can't have any NSAIDS today.  So I've been in extra pain.

We have to be there and checked in at 6:45am.  I'm first on his schedule so at least I should be home in time for lunch, which is nice since I can't have anything to eat or drink after midnight tonight.  I'm planning on taking my Tizanidine at 7pm tonight.  It'll knock me out so that I get decent sleep tonight.

I'll have hubby let you guys know how I'm doing.

Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2014 at 7:05pm
Nik----

I will be looking for updates, and let the anesthesiologist know about your neck problems. Best wishes for all to be great and a fast recovery sweetie. 🙅

My journey with chronic pain began over 30 years ago, while as a young nurse working spinal rehab, I injured my back lifting a patient. I am now fused from L2-S1. I have multiple thoracic and cervical issues. I'm a retired RN/PA and I know and understand the frustrations on both ends of the treatment spectrum of dealing with CP. It's been my goal since 2008, when we started this site, to reach out and help as many people in pain as possible. We will continue the fight as long as we can. Please, if you can help us continue to help you and others, donate. Thank you.
Charter - Member
Charter - Member
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocken Roni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2014 at 8:06pm
Nik,
Will be waiting here to see how you
make out! Hope you sleep well to night.

Flowers

Unknown

Nikoma View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2014 at 8:15pm
Thanks Stevie, Roni.

Stevie, is there a reason I should tell the anesthesiologist about my neck problems?  It just seems like a weird thing to tell an anesthesiologist.

pete81241 View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2013/14/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pete81241 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2014 at 8:34pm
i just know this surgery will go well...best of luck nik....pal pete
parkinsons disease.men1 genetic disorder. endocrine tumors in pituitary gland and pancreas. carpel tunnel syndrome. spinal stenosis.sleep apnea.vast knowledge of crutches and wheelchairs.borderline diabetic.gerd. both hips replaced. spinal stimulator. 7 spine surgeries/fusions. pain pump trial.Thrombocytopenia. no spleen.
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2014 at 8:45pm
Nik----

Only if you are going to have general anesthesia. Then you would want him/her to be more gentle with your neck. Honestly---- this is not a big deal! and they are trained to take care. But I have found that even going to the dentist if I mention neck issues they go above and beyond to make me comfy.

You are going to do well honey. Hugs and will see you here when you can type. Stevie

Bailey View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2013-2016

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2014 at 5:49am
Good luck Nik.

I'll be thinking of you and watching for updates.

DDD C3-C6 with multiple osteophytes causing both moderate foraminal and canal stenosis and flattening and impinging on the spinal cord
Cervical Facet arthritis
Chronic Pain Syndrome
Nikoma View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2014 at 12:47pm
Followup:
Nikoma is all done and resting in bed.  Procedure took less than 20 minutes.

-- 
Crinisen a.k.a. 'Hubby'
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2014 at 2:22pm
Thank you Crinisen!!!

Quick recovery hugs, Nik

Nikoma View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2014 at 3:17pm
Hi guys!  Typing one handed here.  Changed the dressing today per docs orders.  Was surprised that they didnt use stitches.  The numbing stuff wore off last night so sleeping was rough. I'm in the recliner today with my hand propped up.  It hurts pretty good and the doc didnt give me any pain pills so I'm using my oxy.  All his office had to say was that all I needed was ibuprofen.  Called my GP and she says he should be the one to write the script.  Guess I'll just have to make an appointmet ffor my GP and get a refill.

Other than the pain, he did a really good job.  Just hope it heals quickly.

Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2014 at 4:30pm
I'm surprised that you were discharged only with Ibuprofen, and glad you have your Oxycodone. Hopefully the pain will be minimal as time goes by this week. Here's hoping for quick and very good healing, Nik

Post Reply Post Reply