Donate

Pseudogout

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
dbarbeau48 View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2013/2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbarbeau48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pseudogout
    Posted: Apr/02/2009 at 1:54pm
Just thought I'd share something interesting and troubling since returning from Florida. Along with chronic pain from my back and knee, I also suffer from Pseudogout.

Pseudogout is a form of arthritis in which deposits of calcium crystals within joints cause goutlike attacks of pain, stiffness, and swelling. It is also called calcium pyrophosphate deposition disease (CPPD).

The joints most commonly affected by pseudogout are in the elbows, wrists, ankles, knees, fingers, and toes. Sometimes the hips and shoulder joints are involved. In contrast, gout usually affects a single joint, usually at the base of the big toe. The extreme pain of gout is caused by uric acid crystals building up in the joint space.

Pseudogout can damage the affected joints. People who get pseudogout may have repeat attacks for the rest of their lives.

Since returning from Florida, I have had an attack especially in the hands, knee, hips, and wrists. I'm guessing the temperature variations from Florida, 80's, to the 40's along with rain and drizzel in Massachusetts have caused this. I'm still walking but its not a pretty sight, let me tell you. Any thoughts on my theory?

Dick
Five knee surgeries from 1970 to 2000. Knee replacement in 2000.Spinal stenosis surgery in May of 2002. Diagnosed with Pseudogout in 2005, effecting hands, knees, and shoulders. Emergency surgery in March of 2006 for spinal infection of L 2 and L 3. During surgery, discovered I had Cauda Equina Syndrome. Spine became unstable after surgery and had 360 fusion with 10 pedicle screws, plates and rods in April of 2007. Retired early as a high school principal. Recently, have had trigger finger surgery on both hands as well as surgery for severe bi-lateral Carpal Tunnel disease.
Sponsored Links

Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2009 at 2:19pm
Dick,

Pseudogout is often hereditary, and also can be a complication of hemachromatosis ( an excess of Iron in the blood).  Has that factor been checked out?

Also, are you by any chance taking colchicine for this?

As far as a flare-up in this condition, dehydration is a cause, and the higher temps in Florida may have had something to do with this if you weren't drinking enough water as Florida's humidity levels can cause excessive perspiration.  Another known factor are surgical procedures, but I would put that in the "stress" category.  The only known "stress" factor that I am aware of on this vacation was the lack of "bikini beauties" seen on Singer IslandUnhappy.

Anyhow, oftentimes vacations are stressful just being away from home and the traveling.  So while I am not sure about the temperature changes, I do know that changes in temps cause my cervical issues to flare up, so why not a condition such as pseudogout?

I hope you will feel better soon.  Best wishes, Stevie

Please donate to help Chronicpainsite.com continue to help others.

The information and articles provided on our website are designed to support, not replace the relationship between patients and physicians.

Spinal Fusions L5-S1 and L4-L5. Recent changes now with diagnosis of Lumbar Stenosis with neurogenic claudication. To have multi-levl posterior fusion with laminectomy and decompression of L2-3 L3-4 and fusion and revision of L4-5 L5-1 with instrumentation. Cervical DDD, stenosis, spondylosis, spondylolisthesis and facet arthropathy throughout cervical spine from C3-C7. Thoracic Spine: dextroconvex curvature of the thoracic spine, centered at approximately T8.(Scoliosis with 20 degree curve). At T7-8, a disc bulge. Degenerative disc disease T7-T9. Disc dessication from T3-T11.

NATIONAL SUICIDE HELPLINE 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
http://www.crisisclinic.org/
IN THE UK 0845790 90 90
http://www.samaritans.org/
imchunks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imchunks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2009 at 3:00pm
Dick,

I am so sorry that you are having such pain.  It is just not fair to go on vacation and come home with more pain.  Hope that you get to feeling better quickly.

Take care of yourself,
Judy
LUMBAR: lumbar herniated disc almost all non-surgical treatments available have been tried. (5) laminectomies on lumbar spine 1982-2001, Failed fusion of L4 L5 in April, 2005; Spinal Cord Stimulator (SCS) March,2007
CERVICAL: Cervical herniated disc, Anterior cervical discectomy & fusion (ACDF C5-7)November, 2007
OTHER ISSUES: DDD, Polyneuropathy, Occipital Neuralgia, Rotator Cuff Tendinitis, Carpal Tunnel, High Blood Pressure, Hardening of the Arteries.
NERVE DAMAGE: Bilateral Peroneal, Tibial and Sural Nerves of lower legs, feet and ankles (damage caused by previous back surgeries).
dbarbeau48 View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2013/2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbarbeau48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2009 at 9:36am
Boy Stevie, I loved your answer. I think you are right too. I'm sitting here with my Sport's Illustrated, Swimsuit Edition and a bottle of water and I feel great.

Dick
Five knee surgeries from 1970 to 2000. Knee replacement in 2000.Spinal stenosis surgery in May of 2002. Diagnosed with Pseudogout in 2005, effecting hands, knees, and shoulders. Emergency surgery in March of 2006 for spinal infection of L 2 and L 3. During surgery, discovered I had Cauda Equina Syndrome. Spine became unstable after surgery and had 360 fusion with 10 pedicle screws, plates and rods in April of 2007. Retired early as a high school principal. Recently, have had trigger finger surgery on both hands as well as surgery for severe bi-lateral Carpal Tunnel disease.
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2009 at 10:29am
Dick-----Thumbs%20UpThumbs%20UpThumbs%20Up 
Glad that you are feeling betterLOL  Stevie

The information and articles provided on our website are designed to support, not replace the relationship between patients and physicians.

Spinal Fusions L5-S1 and L4-L5. Recent changes now with diagnosis of Lumbar Stenosis with neurogenic claudication. To have multi-levl posterior fusion with laminectomy and decompression of L2-3 L3-4 and fusion and revision of L4-5 L5-1 with instrumentation. Cervical DDD, stenosis, spondylosis, spondylolisthesis and facet arthropathy throughout cervical spine from C3-C7. Thoracic Spine: dextroconvex curvature of the thoracic spine, centered at approximately T8.(Scoliosis with 20 degree curve). At T7-8, a disc bulge. Degenerative disc disease T7-T9. Disc dessication from T3-T11.

IN THE UK 0845790 90 90
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2009 at 8:22pm
LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL Stevie, you are a genious!!! You cured Dick! LOLLOLLOLLOL
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2009 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by LumbarLady LumbarLady wrote:

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL Stevie, you are a genious!!! You cured Dick! LOLLOLLOLLOL

OMG----Should it be so easy to "cure" all of usClapClapClap

Love to all,  and just wishing that one of these days we will all be a lot better.  Hey, and a little humor thrown in here now and then can not hurt. 

IN THE UK 0845790 90 90
 Post Reply Post Reply