Walking Conversion Chart

DC's Stories

CP Man Stories

Donate

Leg restless and Pain

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leg restless and Pain
    Posted: May/26/2009 at 5:15pm
I am out of my mind with this lately. It started out at night. Now it is driving me crazy. Ly legs are in spasms of sorts. I do not know what to do, any suggestions. I am already on 100 gabapentin 3x per day and 100 topamax 3x perday which they had increased due to my legs pain in rt lega while back. This is different though.

ASll I can say is ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mel
Sponsored Links

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2009 at 5:21pm
Is it like your legs don't want to stay put? They feel restless like they want to move even though you want to rest? If that is what you are feeling it sounds like RLS (restless leg syndrome) and you need to talk to your PCP about that one.
Recently I have seen an ad on TV for RLS medication, I don't know how well it works or if ti works at all, but asking your GP would be a good start.
Take care,
Millie
Tinkerbell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinkerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2009 at 5:56pm
Hey Mel, I've had a few bouts of that, but my anxiety med, xanax took care of them.  My MIL has it terribly, and it sounds the same as how she describes it.  She takes amatriptyline I believe, but your physician would know for sure what's best for you.  Is there any way you can get an appointment asap??

Let us know how you're doing, maybe we can do more research here, or other members as well may have it as well.  I remember that feeling, and it's so annoying!
Take care
Donna
L1/L2 protrusion with a piece migrating
L4/L5 small bulge
L5/S1 bone on bone, non-operable
DDD and osteoarthritis
2000 disc herniation L5-S1 had micro discectomy, failed. Right leg/foot numbness & sciatica. Permanent nerve damage in right leg/foot along with radiculopathy and neuropathic pain and Drop foot.
SI Joint & Facet Joint Injections with some relief.

NATIONAL SUICIDE HELPLINE 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
http://www.crisisclinic.org/
IN THE UK 0845790 90 90
http://www.samaritans.org/

For help for many things...
Canada: http://www.211Canada.ca/
U.S.: http://www.211.org/
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2009 at 6:13pm
Mel,

This sure sounds like Restless Leg Syndrome.  I have had bouts of it periodically, and it is just miserable.

You are going to have to discuss this with your physician to see if you can safely take either one of the new drugs that are out for it (Requip) with the other medications that you are on, or one of the old standbys, such as Valium or another muscle relaxant. 

Generally, opiods (narcotics) control this and so for you to have developed this suddenly may be unusual, and so you really need to be diagnosed properly. 

Oh, another thing that I have done when this was bad, was to take hot baths.  It helped somewhat.  I would generally have this in the evenings, when I was very tired, and just before I was falling asleep.  Falling asleep usually stopped it.

Let us know how you make out, and what you find out.  I hope you get some answers.  Hugs, Stevie

Please donate to help Chronicpainsite.com continue to help others.

The information and articles provided on our website are designed to support, not replace the relationship between patients and physicians.

Spinal Fusions L5-S1 and L4-L5. Recent changes now with diagnosis of Lumbar Stenosis with neurogenic claudication. To have multi-levl posterior fusion with laminectomy and decompression of L2-3 L3-4 and fusion and revision of L4-5 L5-1 with instrumentation. Cervical DDD, stenosis, spondylosis, spondylolisthesis and facet arthropathy throughout cervical spine from C3-C7. Thoracic Spine: dextroconvex curvature of the thoracic spine, centered at approximately T8.(Scoliosis with 20 degree curve). At T7-8, a disc bulge. Degenerative disc disease T7-T9. Disc dessication from T3-T11.

IN THE UK 0845790 90 90
Mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2009 at 7:37pm
Thanks,

I had a few Diazapam (sp) from my surgery last summer and when I am really bad like today I take them. I am just about out and It is getting much worse so I am going to have to go back to her. I spoke wiht her last week about it but I have to follow up with her tomorrow.

Thank you for the suggestions I will mention them to my doc.

Hugs!
Mel
Dark Cloud View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dark Cloud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2009 at 12:17pm
Hi Mel:
I am no doctor thats for sure. I can tell you what has helped me.  Usually at night starting around 8 pm my leg start jumping and jerking like frogs legs in a frying pan.  It seems to get worse when I lay down in bed. It is enough to make you come up out of bed cursing at the world.  I to have been on so many different medications for this. Some meds worked for a short period  and some did not even come close to calming it down.   One night my legs were jumping so bad and I was going out of my mind so I grabbed my TENS unit and placed it on my lower back  and turned the juice on.  I found that the electric coming from the TENS units totally disrupted the restless legs and my legs stopped.  Most of the time the restless leg syndrome is caused by nerve in your spine or thats what I was told. We are given medications such as gabapentin, noratripalin, neurotten, etc to work on the nervous system.  This is also what a TENS Unit does it interrupts the nervous system causing the pain to the brain.   I also used an ice pack several times on the lower back freezing the nerves that goes to the legs. Then I run in there and get in bed real quick before the cold wears off and go to sleep. But for me I have found that a TENS unit works better than any medication for this.  It says you are not suppose to go to sleep with a Tens Unit on.   When my legs are going nuts I use the TENS Unit and turn up the juice until the legs stop. Then I go turn it down to where I can barely feel it and lock the controls so there is no way I can hit the controls. I then place the unit under my pillow with my hand on it. I am telling you that you are not suppose to go to sleep with a Tens Unit on. Mine has a timer you can set for 15, 30, 45, 60, and 90 Min's.  I am just saying what works for me..
PS the nerves and pain travels at over 170 miles per hour. I heard that on a medical show one night.  Good luck ..
DC
Poly Sensory Nueropolothy in all four quatrains neck and spine. Chronic lumbar,cervical,theistic, and shoulders.13 Major reconstructive surgery's 106 nerve blocks,fusion plate and screws c5,6&7 pins in left shoulder, reconstructed left arm, shoulder, hand, elbow,and right shoulder.21 herniated disc all bulging to the inside of the spinal canal Neural Canal Narrowing Disc bulging with Broad based Protrusion Degenerative Spinal Disease arthritis entire spine, Nueropolothy in both feet and more. This is just a quick run down .. lol
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2009 at 1:26pm
DC---

What a great ideaThumbs%20Up  I would have never thought of using the TENS for restless leg syndrome. 

Mel, if you have one will you let us know if it works for you?  I know that I will sure try mine the next time this happens to me.

Thanks again DC  Smile  Stevie

The information and articles provided on our website are designed to support, not replace the relationship between patients and physicians.

Spinal Fusions L5-S1 and L4-L5. Recent changes now with diagnosis of Lumbar Stenosis with neurogenic claudication. To have multi-levl posterior fusion with laminectomy and decompression of L2-3 L3-4 and fusion and revision of L4-5 L5-1 with instrumentation. Cervical DDD, stenosis, spondylosis, spondylolisthesis and facet arthropathy throughout cervical spine from C3-C7. Thoracic Spine: dextroconvex curvature of the thoracic spine, centered at approximately T8.(Scoliosis with 20 degree curve). At T7-8, a disc bulge. Degenerative disc disease T7-T9. Disc dessication from T3-T11.

IN THE UK 0845790 90 90
Dark Cloud View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dark Cloud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2009 at 2:03pm
All I can say Stevie is it has worked for me. And I would much rather use my tens unit to control my leg syndrome then medications.  It does work.. I really do not know why more doctors do not try this. Maybe I am missing something here or they have not thought of this themself. But think about it  our nerves are really nothing more than electrical receptors. And if we can alter those nerves and the way they send, respond, and receive messages then maybe we can control the leg syndrome.   Like I said I am no doctor I just know what works for me and it works great.  If you do not have a TENS unit maybe you can ask your doctor for one or barrow one from a friend just to try it out and see if it works for you. I hope it does work as well for you as it does for me..
Poly Sensory Nueropolothy in all four quatrains neck and spine. Chronic lumbar,cervical,theistic, and shoulders.13 Major reconstructive surgery's 106 nerve blocks,fusion plate and screws c5,6&7 pins in left shoulder, reconstructed left arm, shoulder, hand, elbow,and right shoulder.21 herniated disc all bulging to the inside of the spinal canal Neural Canal Narrowing Disc bulging with Broad based Protrusion Degenerative Spinal Disease arthritis entire spine, Nueropolothy in both feet and more. This is just a quick run down .. lol
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2009 at 6:08pm
What a great idea DC, I bet that it works! Mel, if you have a TENS unit try that and see if it helps you.
Mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2009 at 5:12pm
I will, thank you.

I did see the doc yesterday and she started me on Requip and back on amatriptaline we will see what happens. It will take a while for that th work she said so I will pull the dust off my tens and give it a try!

Thank you very much for the suggestion.

Mel
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2009 at 5:18pm
Mel---

I am so glad that you saw your Dr. and I really hope that the Requip and Amitriptyline will kick in soon.  So, let us know how the TENS works for you in the meantime.

I have to tell you Mel, I have had this on and off for years.  My Dad used to have it also, so it may have a heredity component.  But, I know what you have been going through.  It is just miserable.

Feel better soon, Stevie

IN THE UK 0845790 90 90
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2009 at 5:39pm
Mel,
I am so glad that you got to see your Doc and that she started you on some meds for the RLS, hopefully this will work. My thoughts and prayers are with you, take care..........
Millie
cbinky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2009 at 8:37am
I have had RLS  for over 20 years. It can affect my legs and my arms. There have been way too many nights where I have gotten up and took it out on the couch cause it drives you nuts. Learned a couple of tricks along the way. Meds (Klonepin sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't), or I get up and go to the fridge and grab a glass of milk. I don't know if it is the walking or the milk that calms it down but it works for me most of the time. I try that before taking the medication because if you take it every night, it is known to cause some memory loss or forgetfulness. Another thing that I have discovered is that activity decreases the chance of an RLS night. What I want to know is if the Requip works better with less side effects?
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2009 at 9:02am
Binky---

Requip does come with it's share of side effects.

I honestly do not know about the drug personally, but you can find information about it on the internet.  There are some things that people should know about.  As with all medications, the best source is your Dr. and your pharmacist.

So, I would surely ask them about the side effects of the drug and if the benefits outweigh the risks.  Stevie

PS--I think that the milk is an excellent idea.  It could be the calcium that helps or just the calming effects.  Thanks for mentioning that.

IN THE UK 0845790 90 90
cbinky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2009 at 9:58am

The cause of restless leg syndrome is unknown in most patients. However, restless leg syndrome has been associated with pregnancy, obesity, smoking, iron deficiency and anemia, nerve disease, polyneuropathy (which can be associated with hypothyroidism, heavy metal toxicity, toxins, and many other conditions), other hormone disease, such as diabetes, and kidney failure (which can be associated with vitamin and mineral deficiency). Some drugs and medications have been associated with restless leg syndrome including caffeine, alcohol, H2-histamine blockers (such as Zantac and Tagamet), and certain antidepressants (such as Elavil).

Occasionally, restless legs run in families. Recent studies have shown that restless leg syndrome appears to become more common with age.

cbinky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2009 at 10:06am
More information:

Restless legs syndrome is a condition caused by uncomfortable sensations in the legs that produce an intense, often irresistible urge to move the legs. This can lead to sleep disturbance and severe fatigue that interferes with daily activities.

These sensations are described as "pins and needles," prickling, creeping, crawling, tingling, and sometimes painful. They most often occur in the evening when the person is attempting to relax or sleep. Moving the legs can temporarily relieve these sensations.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2009 at 11:06am
Wow, great information on RLS there, thanks Binky!
Mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2009 at 10:06am
I have clonopin as well. She told me to try it during the day if I need it.

Btw- I would not ask me about the side effects as I am exhausted all the time and cannot tell the difference! LOL

Mel
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2009 at 3:34pm
That is funny Mel! You know... sometimes I feel that if we don't laugh at the thinks that happen to us, we would definitely go nuts, so mine as well laugh about it.  Hugs,
Millie
imchunks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imchunks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2009 at 6:46pm
I have been diagnosed with RLS by my Neurologist.  He had me on Requip, but it did not help me at all.  He said that many of his patients get good relief on it, I guess I am just that one that medications sometimes just don't work for me.  I was stubborn and said that I didn't think it was RLS and that my SCS should be taking care of it since it works on nerve type pain.  He let me go with that assumption till this week.

This week he put me on  Carbidopa/Levodopa ER 25/100 (generic for Sinemet CR). It is an antidyskinetic combination that is used to treat Parkinson's disease and other conditions thay may occur due to diseases of the nervous system. It seems to be helping.  I did get to sleep through the night last night, which is a miracle.  My legs hurt so bad at night that I have to get up and walk around till they calm down.  My pain starts as a creepy, crawly feeling, then it turns into a burning like pain.  My Neurologist told me to put ice on my feet and legs at night.  I can't hardly stand that, so I am hoping that the medication works.  I take it 30 minutes before I go to bed.

Mel, I hope that you can find the right treatment that will help you.  I love it when the side effects of a medication that is supposed to help with RLS states that may cause trouble with sleeping.  Isn't that why we are taking medication, SO WE CAN SLEEP!!!

Let us know how you make out.

Take care,
Judy

LUMBAR: lumbar herniated disc almost all non-surgical treatments available have been tried. (5) laminectomies on lumbar spine 1982-2001, Failed fusion of L4 L5 in April, 2005; Spinal Cord Stimulator (SCS) March,2007
CERVICAL: Cervical herniated disc, Anterior cervical discectomy & fusion (ACDF C5-7)November, 2007
OTHER ISSUES: DDD, Polyneuropathy, Occipital Neuralgia, Rotator Cuff Tendinitis, Carpal Tunnel, High Blood Pressure, Hardening of the Arteries.
NERVE DAMAGE: Bilateral Peroneal, Tibial and Sural Nerves of lower legs, feet and ankles (damage caused by previous back surgeries).
cbinky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2009 at 5:11pm
I slept on the couch again last night til about 2a.m. Took the meds about 15 minutes after 9pm. Fell asleep around 11. I hate the meds because it makes me so tired and dopey in the mornings. Hard to get up. Between Bud and me, there is a worn path between the bedroom and the couch.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinkerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2009 at 5:14pm
Oh dear you guys, I'm sorry you're having all these issues with your leg(s) and that the meds have their glorious side effects. 
I hope that things start settling down for you, Binky did you try the Tens Unit like Bud does?

Hoping you all get some rest tonight.

Take care
Donna
L4/L5 small bulge
DDD and osteoarthritis
2000 disc herniation L5-S1 had micro discectomy, failed. Right leg/foot numbness & sciatica. Permanent nerve damage in right leg/foot along with radiculopathy and neuropathic pain and Drop foot.

IN THE UK 0845790 90 90

cbinky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2009 at 6:38am
no I didn't. Bud has to put it on me cause I don't quite know how to operate it. All I ever do is put the pads on him.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinkerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2009 at 7:18am
Yes I need help with those too when I wear mine binky!  Hope you both got some  much needed sleep and are feeling better today?

Take care
Donna
L4/L5 small bulge
DDD and osteoarthritis

IN THE UK 0845790 90 90

imchunks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imchunks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2009 at 11:32am
My PCP doesn't know what to do for my feet.  For the last 4 nights, my feet start the pins & needles pain that quickly turns to a burning pain.  She has asked me to contact my Neurologist to see what he thinks I should do.  I have put a call into the Neuro, but if it is like normal, it will probably be a day or two before I hear back.  He is the only Neurologist in the local area so he is very busy.

I am just a total mess.  I have posted in the Hives Section, in Gastrointestinal Section, in the Sinus Section and here.  I am not sure if I should be coming or going at this point.  One step at a time and hopefully I can get everything back to working correctly.

Judy

LUMBAR: lumbar herniated disc almost all non-surgical treatments available have been tried. (5) laminectomies on lumbar spine 1982-2001, Failed fusion of L4 L5 in April, 2005; Spinal Cord Stimulator (SCS) March,2007
CERVICAL: Cervical herniated disc, Anterior cervical discectomy & fusion (ACDF C5-7)November, 2007
OTHER ISSUES: DDD, Polyneuropathy, Occipital Neuralgia, Rotator Cuff Tendinitis, Carpal Tunnel, High Blood Pressure, Hardening of the Arteries.
NERVE DAMAGE: Bilateral Peroneal, Tibial and Sural Nerves of lower legs, feet and ankles (damage caused by previous back surgeries).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinkerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2009 at 11:40am
I can't even imagine how you're coping with all of this for so long Judy, you're everywhere you poor dear!  Ok I'm sorry but I don't see on your signature and of course can't remember, are you taking meds for nerve pain, if so who prescribed them for you?  Obviously something is causing this nerve pain, but I don't think it's new though is it Judy?  Pardon my lack of memory!

Donna
L4/L5 small bulge
DDD and osteoarthritis

IN THE UK 0845790 90 90

Mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2009 at 2:18pm
Judy,

How long were you on the requip? I really thought for a while that my fentanyl was not working but that was not it for the most part. The reqip after about 3 weeks or so has started to work. I still have to take BT meds but that like I guess. I am so sorry do everything you are going through. You have had sucj a rough run of it. I did find that the heating pad helped and hot baths.

Keep me updated.
Thinking of you!
Hugs, Mel
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2009 at 2:48pm
Judy,

I also am forgetting if you are on Neurontin.  You surely need something for this.  It is sounding like a peripheral neuropathy.  Diabetics have it---oftentimes it causes a loss of sensation, but can also manifest itself with burning.  But with your lumbar issues it is tough to say.  So, I do hope that you get a call quickly from the Neurologist.

Mel--I am so glad to hear that you are finally getting relief from the  Requip.  No one who has never had RLS can appreciate the horror that it causes.  I have had it from time to time and I know how miserable it is.  There is nothing to do but get up and walk around.  And for me it would hit in the evening when I was exhausted anyhow and just wanted to sleep.

Good luck to both of you with these issues.  Stevie

IN THE UK 0845790 90 90
imchunks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imchunks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2009 at 3:53pm
Mel,

I was on Requip for 3 months and it never helped.  I am now on Carbidopa/Levodopa ER 25/100.  I was taking 1 @ bedtime and today the Neurologist said to take 2 @ bedtime and see if it helps.  The problem is that I have this pain all day long and it increases at night.  I also have a spinal cord stimulator and recently I have had to turn it off because the tingling sensation that it produces increases the pain.  The only problem here is that the pain in my lower back increases tremendously without the stimulator.  

My PCP said that she thinks it may be peripheral neuropathy but the Neurologist is still saying that it is RLS.  I just don't know anymore.  I have hurt so badly today that I can hardly walk and that is about the only thing that provides any relief. 

I am on 2400 mg of Gabapentin (generic for Neurontin) daily.  It did help for awhile, but even with the new medication for the RLS the pain is increasing.  Today has been especially miserable.  I haven't slept for 3 nights and I am tired, but the pain doesn't allow me to relax enough to sleep.

I had been using heat on my feet and lower legs to help relieve some of the pain.  The Neurologist said to use ice instead of heat.  I tried that last night and it made the burning even worse.  I think I will try heat again tonight; anything to get a little relief.

I am so glad that you have found some relief and I hope that you continue to get better.

I will let you know tomorrow how things go tonight.  I just want to get some sleep somehow.

Judy

Post Reply Post Reply