Advertise
With Us 
ChronicPainSite.com Foundation, Inc Personal Homepage
Please, if you have not Donated lately we need your help.
Click here to find out how YOU can help
  Advertise
With Us 

FAQ FAQ   Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New FP Group.. LIFE WITH CHRONIC PAIN
How you can get more control of your health and life.
Click Here
To Our FB page      

Login
Register
---------
ChronicPainSite.com Foundation, Inc
RULES
Navigation
Main Page
Forum Home
About Us
Site Information
Our Advisors
Articles Home
Faces of Pain
Recipe Section
No Pain Pain Scale No Pain

FAQ
Member Control Panel
Login
Register
Walking Conversion Chart

DC's Stories

CP Man Stories

Donate

a hippy soon.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
dbarbeau48 View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2013-2016

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbarbeau48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: a hippy soon.
    Posted: Aug/10/2015 at 11:58am
I passed all my pre surgery tests and I am now scheduled for right hip replacement on September 9th. If I were McGyver and had a shape butter knife, I would have already done it.
Five knee surgeries from 1970 to 2000. Knee replacement in 2000.Spinal stenosis surgery in May of 2002. Diagnosed with Pseudogout in 2005, effecting hands, knees, and shoulders. Emergency surgery in March of 2006 for spinal infection of L 2 and L 3. During surgery, discovered I had Cauda Equina Syndrome. Spine became unstable after surgery and had 360 fusion with 10 pedicle screws, plates and rods in April of 2007. Retired early as a high school principal. Recently, have had trigger finger surgery on both hands as well as surgery for severe bi-lateral Carpal Tunnel disease.
Bailey View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2015 at 12:56pm
Guess it's a good thing you're not McGyver then LOL

I hope, the feeling is a lot stronger than that, that this surgery will be textbook for simplicity, recovery and pain relief.

Behaving yourself once you get home will be the biggest hurdle I imagine. But I'll wait till then to start lecturing you about doing too much Wink
DDD C3-C6 with multiple osteophytes causing both moderate foraminal and canal stenosis and flattening and impinging on the spinal cord
Cervical Facet arthritis
Chronic Pain Syndrome
pete81241 View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2013/14/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pete81241 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2015 at 1:25pm
your hospital has a great record on making people hippies. i know youll smoke this challenge....besides sept 9 is a lucky day....pal pete
parkinsons disease.men1 genetic disorder. endocrine tumors in pituitary gland and pancreas. carpel tunnel syndrome. spinal stenosis.sleep apnea.vast knowledge of crutches and wheelchairs.borderline diabetic.gerd. both hips replaced. spinal stimulator. 7 spine surgeries/fusions. pain pump trial.Thrombocytopenia. no spleen.
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2015 at 1:32pm
GREAT news, Dick.  But, I know that having to wait it out now for almost a month is the toughest part of this whole ordeal.  But, oh my------I too am awfully glad that you're not McGyverLOL

Please donate to help Chronicpainsite.com continue to help others.

My journey with chronic pain began over 30 years ago, while as a young nurse working spinal rehab, I injured my back lifting a patient. I am now fused from L2-S1. I have multiple thoracic and cervical issues. I'm a retired RN/PA and I know and understand the frustrations on both ends of the treatment spectrum of dealing with CP. It's been my goal since 2008, when we started this site, to reach out and help as many people in pain as possible. We will continue the fight as long as we can. Please, if you can help us continue to help you and others, donate. Thank you.
JohnLug View Drop Down
Sysop
Sysop
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnLug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2015 at 1:36pm
Dick, I have the perfect parking sign for you...
(Was given to me as the other meaning for hippie)

HIPPIE
PARKING
ONLY
ALL OTHERS
TO BE
STONED

I Wish I could program in NO PAIN for everyone!!!
Tas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2015 at 4:19pm
Dick, see if you can get one of the new digital hips with remote speed control.

Then if a hacker gets into your frequency it will make a great utube.

Good luck?

Ken

L1/2 Mild bilateral facet astropathy. L2/3 same as L1/2. L3/4 ditto. L4/5 Disc bulge indenting anterior thecal sac. Bilateral facet astropathy. Mild canal and left foraminal stenosis. L5/S1 Severe disc narrowing with extensive osteophytes. Broad based disc osteophyte protusion indenting anterior thecal sac and resulting in a right foraminal stenosis. Exiting L5 nerves intact. Osteophytic contact with descending right S1 nerve root. Conclusion_ Severe degenerative disc changes L5/S1 with disc-osteophyte protusion. Moderate disc bulge L4/L5 Moderate central spinal stenosis with obileration of the epidural fat and distortion of the thecal sac. L5/1 Decreased disc height and signal. Super Ventricular Tachacardia. (SVT) Type 2 Diabetes, Arthritis knees and hips.
nene View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2015 at 10:57pm
Hmmmm...home self surgery is not advisable. Lol I saw a show once about a person drills holes in his skull for some "medical" reason. I don't think that would be real safe. Step away from the pocket knife.
Best of luck with your surgery!
DDD, spinal stenosis, buldging/herniated disks,nerve compression, CAD, diabetes,etc
Nene
Renee View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014-2017

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2015 at 3:12am
Good luck with your surgery, Dick.  I know you will do fine.  Its the waiting for it that stinks.  You'll do well.  Just don't overdue it when you get back home.
underactive thyroid 20 years, history of kidney stones, had lithotripsy eight or nine times thru the past 30 years.
Had left knee drained twice in past year, prednisone injection afterwards in knee. Had prednisone injection month before 2nd spinal surgery but no draining - all due to arthritis.
spinal surgery 7/07 with fusing L3-L5, spinal stenosis, DDD
7mm anterolisthesis of L4 on L5
Lots and lots of nerve pain down legs.
2nd spinal surgery 1/20/15 Post lumbar L2/3 fusion XLIF L2/3. Admission diagnosis:
Degeneration of lumbar or lumbosacral intervertebral disc(degeneration of lumbar disc-radiculitis-_
Thoracic or lumbosacral neuritis or radiculitis, unspecified. Other musculoskeletal symptoms referable to limbs(729.89)
Spinal stenosis, lumbar region, without neurogenic claudication. s/p an post spinal fusion, s/p ant post spinal fusion
3/16 double knee arthoscopic surgery due to torn meniscus in each knee and gel injections in each - toxic allergic reaction in left knee from gel.
Rocken Roni View Drop Down
Charter - Member
Charter - Member
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocken Roni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2015 at 1:57am
Good Luck Dick.
Will be thinking of you.
Hardest part is the wait.

Until one has felt the Love of an animal,
a part of their Soul remains Unawakened.

Unknown

1st injured Feb, 1997. Was told it was "Soft Tissue" and sent back to work - no X-rays
Late 1997 attended 1st Rehab Program to strengthen back. Mid 98 PCP took me off work. Tried going back to work over the next couple years, mostly off work due to pain.
June 2000, met with OS for first time. Did MRI , damage was L5-S1 totally blown out. Surgery done Jan, 2001.
Another Rehab program late 2001, attempted to go back to work early 2002. Slipped on water, fell flat on back screw fusion broke.
Went to 3rd Rehab program summer 2002.
Oct 2003 - 2nd Surgery, due to broken screw, had to operate from the front.
No improvement. Attended 4th Rehab program in 2004, at time It was decided NO work.
March 2006, had 3rd Surgery, this time fusion and instrumentation from Si to L3.
June 2008 Surgeon finally admitted I had Failed Back Surgery.
August 2009 WCB Finally put me on Long Term Disability
Jeff View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2014-2016

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2015 at 7:20pm
The only part of my hip replacement that I regretted was waiting so long to have it.  You'll do fine and you will be amazed how fast you get on that hip and walking.  Best of luck and will be praying for you.
Ankylosing spondylitis & osteoporosis -> compression fractures -> facet & ligamentum flavum hypertrophy-> stenosis -> spinal cord & nerve root compression -> cervical myelopathy & radiculopathy -> bruise & deformation of my spinal cord -> incomplete spinal cord injury -> postlaminectomy syndrome of cervical region. Cervical laminectomy & fusion decompressed my cord but I now have severe chronic pain. Pain meds = Oxycontin, Percocet, Lyrica, Soma, Cymbalta, Voltaren Gel, & Ketamine pain cream. 11 surgeries including 5 orthopedic & 1 neurosurgery.

Charter - Member
Charter - Member
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocken Roni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2015 at 4:14pm
My Sister Wendy agrees with this. She was in the hospital 2 1/2 days and she was up and walking the same day. She wasn't asleep for the procedure but had an epidural. So she was awake for everything.

Unknown

1st injured Feb, 1997. Was told it was "Soft Tissue" and sent back to work - no X-rays
Late 1997 attended 1st Rehab Program to strengthen back. Mid 98 PCP took me off work. Tried going back to work over the next couple years, mostly off work due to pain.
June 2000, met with OS for first time. Did MRI , damage was L5-S1 totally blown out. Surgery done Jan, 2001.
Another Rehab program late 2001, attempted to go back to work early 2002. Slipped on water, fell flat on back screw fusion broke.
No improvement. Attended 4th Rehab program in 2004, at time It was decided NO work.
March 2006, had 3rd Surgery, this time fusion and instrumentation from Si to L3.
Bluegill View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluegill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2015 at 4:22pm
you're one hip cat
In head-on car crash in 2006. Smashed kneecaps, broken hip, head injury,and other fractures. Daily knee pain (just a 2 or 3 or 4 on a scale from 1-10, so I feel like a wimp). Can't jog, walk long distances or stand for a long period of time. Surgery to remove bone growth on pelvis (2017). Ongoing hip pain, possibly trochanteric bursitis.
Charter - Member
Charter - Member
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocken Roni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2015 at 6:46pm
No kidding!

Unknown

Merlin View Drop Down
Prior Member
Prior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2015 at 8:48am
Hippie parking - anyone else will get stoned - really John!!!!

I wish I had thought of that

All the best for that date in September Dick - now I get it with the bread and butter knife. I had to wait to long for my shoulder decompression it fixed itself - but before that I was ready to do it with my Swiss Army Life - but it's my right shoulder and I'm right handed

Glad I waited though - so forget the digital hip and butter knife and

All the best for that great day in September -
tkay View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2015 at 10:42am
Dick,
Leave the surgery up to the surgeons. :-)

I know this has been a long wait for you to have this surgery. I am sure you are going to do well. I am hoping for a surgery with no complications and a quick recovery.

Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2015 at 4:42pm
Hi Dick,

The day is very quickly now approaching.  How are you doing?  All of the pre-op stuff out of the way?

Do you know how long you'll be in the hospital?  Will you be able to take a laptop with you so you can let us know how you are when you are up to it?

Please know that I've been thinking about you and Nancy and that I'm praying with everything I have that this will be a quick, successful surgery that will help you with the incredibly painful time you've been enduring.

Hugs and love, good friend. Hug

My journey with chronic pain began over 30 years ago, while as a young nurse working spinal rehab, I injured my back lifting a patient. I am now fused from L2-S1. I have multiple thoracic and cervical issues. I'm a retired RN/PA and I know and understand the frustrations on both ends of the treatment spectrum of dealing with CP. It's been my goal since 2008, when we started this site, to reach out and help as many people in pain as possible. We will continue the fight as long as we can. Please, if you can help us continue to help you and others, donate. Thank you.
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbarbeau48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2015 at 7:12am
Thanks Stevie. I'll get a call Tuesday afternoon telling me what time to report to the hospital. It'll be 6:30 or 8:00a.m.. I'm hoping its 6:30 because that means its the first surgery. As for the length of the stay, I have been told one night by the doctor going home late Thursday afternoon. I was told two nights by the pre-surgical intake nurse. Hopefully, I'll make a post by Friday letting you know how I'm doing.
My sons are ready to take care of Nancy no matter how many days I'm in the hospital and for the few weeks post surgery. I'm planning on taking care of myself.
Five knee surgeries from 1970 to 2000. Knee replacement in 2000.Spinal stenosis surgery in May of 2002. Diagnosed with Pseudogout in 2005, effecting hands, knees, and shoulders. Emergency surgery in March of 2006 for spinal infection of L 2 and L 3. During surgery, discovered I had Cauda Equina Syndrome. Spine became unstable after surgery and had 360 fusion with 10 pedicle screws, plates and rods in April of 2007. Retired early as a high school principal. Recently, have had trigger finger surgery on both hands as well as surgery for severe bi-lateral Carpal Tunnel disease.
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2015 at 10:05am
Sending you only happy and positive thoughts for Wednesday, Dick, and I'll be watching for your post as soon as you are able.  Huge hugs, good friend.Big smile

Charter - Member
Charter - Member
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocken Roni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2015 at 2:59pm
Best of Luck Dick!

My Sister had her hip replaced on Dec 2nd last year and is walking just with a Cain. I was with her through her whole recovery and she did great. They had her up and walking the same day also she didn't go under as she had an epidural. So she was awake through the whole ordeal.
Again, Good Luck Dick. 

Unknown

Tas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2015 at 3:37pm
Good luck with the surgery Dick, I have heard notjing but excellet reports from people who have had it done.

Ken

L1/2 Mild bilateral facet astropathy. L2/3 same as L1/2. L3/4 ditto. L4/5 Disc bulge indenting anterior thecal sac. Bilateral facet astropathy. Mild canal and left foraminal stenosis. L5/S1 Severe disc narrowing with extensive osteophytes. Broad based disc osteophyte protusion indenting anterior thecal sac and resulting in a right foraminal stenosis. Exiting L5 nerves intact. Osteophytic contact with descending right S1 nerve root. Conclusion_ Severe degenerative disc changes L5/S1 with disc-osteophyte protusion. Moderate disc bulge L4/L5 Moderate central spinal stenosis with obileration of the epidural fat and distortion of the thecal sac. L5/1 Decreased disc height and signal. Super Ventricular Tachacardia. (SVT) Type 2 Diabetes, Arthritis knees and hips.
Merlin View Drop Down
Prior Member
Prior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2015 at 6:55pm
All the best Dick - you can see we are all waiting for you to have that surgery and look forward to your post as soon as you can get your hands on your computer

It's great that your sons are looking after Nancy - that's fantastic

And by now I am sure you are up to more than cooking water and burning toast -

And -

This too shall passFlowers
tkay View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2015 at 8:40pm
Best wishes on your upcoming surgery.
I will be thinking of you on Wednesday.
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2015 at 7:18pm
Dick----

Do you have your time? Sorry if you've already posted as I'm on my phone and have a hard time scrolling up.

Thinking about you. Hoping it all goes well and we will all be thinking of you tomorrow. Huge hugs.

Bailey View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2015 at 4:28am
Good morning Hippy Dick

I'm thinking of you and along with all your CPS Family hoping and praying for a super successful surgery(say that 3 times fast :) a smooth and simple recovery.

Here's hoping you'll be out strolling with Opal and Sparky in no time.

Healing hugs and wishes for far less pain.
DDD C3-C6 with multiple osteophytes causing both moderate foraminal and canal stenosis and flattening and impinging on the spinal cord
Cervical Facet arthritis
Chronic Pain Syndrome
Bailey View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2015 at 1:01pm
I think you should be out of surgery by now. I hope they keep your " normal" pain controlled and that you're feeling well enough to tease the nurses in no time.

Thinking of you.
Cervical Facet arthritis
Chronic Pain Syndrome
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2015 at 1:52pm
I also have been thinking of you all day, and hope that you now have a new hip and will be home and recovering very soon.  Huge hugs, and give the nurses a break hippy Dick. Shot  Well, maybe just a tiny break.  LOL

Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2015 at 2:33pm
Hope everything is going smooth Dick and hope you will be home soon to start recovering.  Thinking of you.
underactive thyroid 20 years, history of kidney stones, had lithotripsy eight or nine times thru the past 30 years.
Had left knee drained twice in past year, prednisone injection afterwards in knee. Had prednisone injection month before 2nd spinal surgery but no draining - all due to arthritis.
2nd spinal surgery 1/20/15 Post lumbar L2/3 fusion XLIF L2/3. Admission diagnosis:
Degeneration of lumbar or lumbosacral intervertebral disc(degeneration of lumbar disc-radiculitis-_
Thoracic or lumbosacral neuritis or radiculitis, unspecified. Other musculoskeletal symptoms referable to limbs(729.89)
Spinal stenosis, lumbar region, without neurogenic claudication. s/p an post spinal fusion, s/p ant post spinal fusion
3/16 double knee arthoscopic surgery due to torn meniscus in each knee and gel injections in each - toxic allergic reaction in left knee from gel.
pete81241 View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pete81241 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2015 at 3:27pm
yah...whats going on?    i thought youd be walking by now....hope all is well...pal pete
parkinsons disease.men1 genetic disorder. endocrine tumors in pituitary gland and pancreas. carpel tunnel syndrome. spinal stenosis.sleep apnea.vast knowledge of crutches and wheelchairs.borderline diabetic.gerd. both hips replaced. spinal stimulator. 7 spine surgeries/fusions. pain pump trial.Thrombocytopenia. no spleen.
Tas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2015 at 3:52pm
Hoping all went well and would like photos of the hot nurse, not your hip.

Ken

Merlin View Drop Down
Prior Member
Prior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2015 at 8:30pm
Hi Dick - we are all wondering what you are up to

I hope you are chasing those hot nurses around and not just ringing the bell because you need them to come to you

We are all concerned Dick - I guess we will hear from you soon - we hope we will hear from you soon -

Actually- we know we will hear from you soon - and but just how soon we don't know

We all care about youWarm-Fuzzy
pete81241 View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pete81241 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2015 at 11:55am
so now i'm worried...4 days is much too long to be on the table....pal pete
Bailey View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2015 at 12:14pm
I think his surgery was We'd morning and best case scenario had him going home after 1 night, more realistic after 2.

Hopefully you're on your way home, unless you're enjoying yourself so much you decide to spend the weekend.

Either way, let us known asap Dick.
Cervical Facet arthritis
Chronic Pain Syndrome
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2015 at 12:37pm
Yes, surgery was on the 9th, and he thought he would be home and able to post to us possibly today.  So, Dick-----we are all here-----waiting and hoping for some good newsHug

Merlin View Drop Down
Prior Member
Prior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2015 at 1:41pm
Thanks Stevie - and yes Dick - we are hoping to hear the good news soon
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbarbeau48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2015 at 3:42pm
Just got home. Surgery went well. Hip was a real mess. Doctor said he had to use some screws to anchor hardware into the femur. My hospital stay was a nightmare. I didn't eat didn't sleep and found out that quick acting Ocycontin caused me heartburn and nausea . Now starts the rehab.
Bailey View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2015 at 4:02pm
Darn it all, so much for a rest.

I'm glad you're home Dick and sorry you had yet another nightmare. It's time for some good dreams.

Please follow dr's orders and let yourself heal. I'm just finishing rereading The Shining, hope you've got some good reading material. And pain meds.

Lots of hugs.
Cervical Facet arthritis
Chronic Pain Syndrome
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2015 at 5:50pm
So, so glad you are home and back on your own pain management agenda.  I have no idea what fast acting Oxycontin is, but it sounds awful.

Now, take good care, and watch that hip and the extra hardware you now have-----between the two of us we could probably build something of national security.

Merlin View Drop Down
Prior Member
Prior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2015 at 9:45pm
Aw Dick - I can't imagine how that must have hurtErmm - it sounds like that book Bailey was reading - "The Shining" - that guy was chewing something called Excedrin - I think that was an imaginary pain killer but it sound like a really horrible time in hospital - would you not have liked a short time having a gentle nurse wiping your sweating brow and soothing you to sleep with a massage - or something else that stopped you from sleeping and eating and having different drugs that gave you a worse pain like heart burn that feels like your gullet is filled with acid - which it is.
What will your rehab be - and when does it start? Do you have to wait until the screws in your femur have to set into something like special bone cement

I guess you are more than glad to be home and I hope the pain eases up for you - I wish you had an easier time - I am so sorry

pete81241 View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pete81241 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2015 at 12:16am
as i recall my hip surgeon told me to avoid a few positions after surgery. unfortunately since then my memory has slipped a bit. i do think one rule was dont cross your legs. so follow rules to avoid any dislocation....glad youre home....pal pete
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbarbeau48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2015 at 7:08am
Morning all and good it is. I slept in my recliner and slept like a log. Sleep is underrated. With sleep comes strength and energy. After I loosened up I got into a standing position by myself walked to bathroom, using a walker of course, stood end washed up, and got dressed with minimal assistance. I am very encouraged.
Merlin, the PT plan is as follows- two weeks at home, than see the surgeon to be evaluated, and than four weeks outside the home.
Pete, crossing legs is a big taboo and along with turning you foot to the inside or bending your knee above the hip. All could cause a dislocation.
Bailey View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2015 at 7:45am
You sound like you again Dick.

Without sleep comes disaster, glad you got some good z's. I see Mr King has a new short story collection coming out soon, though by then you!'ll be out running marathons and won't need reading material.

Sleep, rest, repeat.

Lots of hugs
Cervical Facet arthritis
Chronic Pain Syndrome
Jeff View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2014-2016

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2015 at 10:56am
90 degree rule.  I didn't dare go past 45 degrees out of fear.  I talked to someone who displaced their hip.  But back then I was a wimp compared to now.

Never heard of putting screws in the femur.  Got any xrays to see what you are talking about?  Sorry you had such a rough time in the hospital but glad to see you made it through nonetheless.  Glad to have you back with us!

Jeff
Ankylosing spondylitis & osteoporosis -> compression fractures -> facet & ligamentum flavum hypertrophy-> stenosis -> spinal cord & nerve root compression -> cervical myelopathy & radiculopathy -> bruise & deformation of my spinal cord -> incomplete spinal cord injury -> postlaminectomy syndrome of cervical region. Cervical laminectomy & fusion decompressed my cord but I now have severe chronic pain. Pain meds = Oxycontin, Percocet, Lyrica, Soma, Cymbalta, Voltaren Gel, & Ketamine pain cream. 11 surgeries including 5 orthopedic & 1 neurosurgery.

Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2015 at 11:22am
Sounds really good Dick----it's so nice to be home and out of the miserableness of the hospital.  You're going to need a lot of sleep-----one thing I couldn't NOT do after my fusion was sleep.  Sorry about the lousy grammar----you can give me a "D" in for that but an "A+" for caring. Hug

Tas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2015 at 4:10pm
Good to have you back on deck Dick. 

I agree about sleep, it is the most powerful medicine of all and in the middle ages was used a lot more for treatment. Patients were often given a sleeping draught of some sort.

Following the surgeons instructions and not rushing things will result in a very successful operation and those marathons will soon be on the agenda.  In the meantime take it easy.

Ken

Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2015 at 4:22pm
So glad you are home and hospital surgery and stay is over.  Now the mending can begin.  That's great that you are up walking with the walker so soon.  Don't overdue it and follow doctor's orders please. 
How many weeks does your rehab last, Dick? 
So glad the worst is over for you.
Merlin View Drop Down
Prior Member
Prior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2015 at 10:51pm
Great to have you back up on deck Dick - well - perhaps not doing anything on deck but at least able to do your own bathroom therapy - important that -

I am glad you can do some of your rehab at home - that must mean someone comes out to get it started - I don't know what they have to do -

And Ken - yes - I have heard about those Middle-Ages sleeping draughts - sleep is vital for recovery - and these draughts often contained nothing but plants - very potent plants

But sleep - I can remember the night after my hysterectomy when I felt that if I could have found a dictionary the world "sleep" would have been deleted. I had nurses in and out all night long doing something or other - and near dawn one of them said "Tonight will be the worst night" which is my dazed state I thought they meant the coming night - not just the night that had passed - which was the worst

Sleep - wonderful stuff - and has anyone ever noticed if they are disturbed they were always in the middle of the best dream they ever had?

Great to have you back Dick
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbarbeau48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2015 at 8:05am
 If you had asked me 2 days ago if I shouldn't have had the surgery, I would have agreed with you. Hospitals today have certainly changed. Nurses are still great but due to insurance regulations and all the damn infections you can get, the hospital wants you out asap. If you aren't ready, you are moved to a rehab/nursing home. That's where I was headed if I didn't have Alex and Aaron, my sons,  home. They have been fantastic.

As for me, doing better every day. I got almost completely dressed this morning except for my right sock and shoe, I'm not allowed to bend that leg past 90 degrees. I had another great night's sleep. again in the lounger. I tried a nap thing in the bed but it became uncomfortable quickly so lounger it is for awhile. I can get up by myself from the chair and move around pretty well with the walker. Very shortly, I'll be performing a Redneck River Dance routine.

PT comes 3 times this week, OT twice, and the nurse will be here Tuesday. My pain levels are dropping everyday. All in all, I made the right decision, just didn't make it sooner..
nene View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2015 at 12:56pm
Glad you are doing well. Follow those postoperative instructions. You do not want to dislocate that New hip. Sorry the hospital was bad but glad you are now home. Home is always better!
DDD, spinal stenosis, buldging/herniated disks,nerve compression, CAD, diabetes,etc
Nene
Merlin View Drop Down
Prior Member
Prior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2015 at 6:06pm
It's great that you have had that done - my ss had one and said it was brutal surgery - I guess it was a bit more brutal for you getting screwed - I means screws in your femur - that was an added extra you didn't ask for.

That rehab programme sounds reasonable - I hope you have enough pain medication - that's one thing about shooting you out of hospital so quickly - you might need more pain medication -

I was in hospital of a fortnight after my first shoulder operation - a decompression in 1986 that went badly - and they were giving me shots up until the day I left - and this went on for years - the pain not the shots-  but the second operation in 1994 was a reconstruction and I was out in 4 days had little pain

But apart from that I can hardly wait to get out of hospitals - I have walked out at times -

From what I have heard the bacteria that they find in hospitals that cause so much illness love clean surfaces and grow there abundantly - but tough if you still need to be there for the care - I am so glad your sons can help - and great names - I like the names - and they have to be good sons with you for their Dad

All the best with your recovery - and glad to have you back 
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2015 at 8:37pm
It all sounds really great, Dick and know you are happy to be home.  That is where we all belong ASAP.

I know you are doing everything you can to recover from this and will continue to do well.  Out of the hospital, NOT in rehab, and HOME----------well, there is nothing better than that combinationDog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>