Advertise
With Us 
ChronicPainSite.com Foundation, Inc Personal Homepage
Please, if you have not Donated lately we need your help.
Click here to find out how YOU can help
  Advertise
With Us 

FAQ FAQ   Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

To Our FB page      

Login
Register
---------
ChronicPainSite.com Foundation, Inc
RULES
Navigation
Main Page
Forum Home
About Us
Site Information
Our Advisors
Articles Home
Faces of Pain
Recipe Section
No Pain Pain Scale No Pain

FAQ
Member Control Panel
Login
Register
Walking Conversion Chart

DC's Stories

CP Man Stories

Donate

fibromyalgia

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
GrannyLynn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrannyLynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: fibromyalgia
    Posted: Nov/02/2015 at 3:30pm
New here, fed up getting no joy from my GP need more help from elsewhere. any advice please
l kirkman
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2015 at 3:36pm
Welcome GrannyLynn,

What has your GP suggested for the pain and symptoms from FM?  Exercise (whatever you can do) is vital and many people have really good success from Lyrica.  It can be started at a very low dose and increased as necessary.

In the meantime, look through our FM Forum.  There are so many members who have posted on the subject.  Plus, we have a lot of very good articles in our Articles Home Section and I would definitely recommend this one to start.  While it's written for health care providers, there are really good explanations for any terminology not easily understandable: http://chronicpainsite.com/mb/Article/ArticlesTableview.asp?key=102

Please donate to help Chronicpainsite.com continue to help others.

My journey with chronic pain began over 30 years ago, while as a young nurse working spinal rehab, I injured my back lifting a patient. I am now fused from L2-S1. I have multiple thoracic and cervical issues. I'm a retired RN/PA and I know and understand the frustrations on both ends of the treatment spectrum of dealing with CP. It's been my goal since 2008, when we started this site, to reach out and help as many people in pain as possible. We will continue the fight as long as we can. Please, if you can help us continue to help you and others, donate. Thank you.
Rocken Roni View Drop Down
Charter - Member
Charter - Member
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocken Roni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2015 at 3:37pm
Can you tell us a little about your self? What meds do you take? What do you do to try to relive your pain?
Roni

Until one has felt the Love of an animal,
a part of their Soul remains Unawakened.

Unknown

1st injured Feb, 1997. Was told it was "Soft Tissue" and sent back to work - no X-rays
Late 1997 attended 1st Rehab Program to strengthen back. Mid 98 PCP took me off work. Tried going back to work over the next couple years, mostly off work due to pain.
June 2000, met with OS for first time. Did MRI , damage was L5-S1 totally blown out. Surgery done Jan, 2001.
Another Rehab program late 2001, attempted to go back to work early 2002. Slipped on water, fell flat on back screw fusion broke.
Went to 3rd Rehab program summer 2002.
Oct 2003 - 2nd Surgery, due to broken screw, had to operate from the front.
No improvement. Attended 4th Rehab program in 2004, at time It was decided NO work.
March 2006, had 3rd Surgery, this time fusion and instrumentation from Si to L3.
June 2008 Surgeon finally admitted I had Failed Back Surgery.
August 2009 WCB Finally put me on Long Term Disability

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrannyLynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2015 at 3:54pm
I do take Lyrica, Tramadol & Duoxetine plus Paracetamol, some days nothing works, i just cry with the frustration of it all
l kirkman
tkay View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2013-2018

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2015 at 5:08pm
I GrannyLynn.

How long have you been taking Lyrica?
I also take Lyrica when the pain is not touched by any other medication.
I was taking 150mg a couple times a day. When I am not in a flare up I take Effexor XR.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrannyLynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2015 at 6:19pm
About 2 years now i think, along with my other meds
l kirkman
Quaver View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2013-2017

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2015 at 8:48am
Hi GrannyLynn,

What actual symptoms do you have? How much Lyrica do you take? I have fibromyalgia too and Lyrica helped me a lot when I first took it. I added in Amitriptyline relatively recently and that too really helps. Have you tried it? What are your nights like? I take 75 mg every evening and since going onto it my sleep quality has improved immeasurably.
PLEASE DONATE TO CHRONIC PAIN SITE! SO THAT WE CAN CONTINUE TO HELP CHRONIC PAIN SUFFERERS

CPS SUPPORT BRITISH & UK RESIDENT
Severe chronic pain in lower back. Lumbar Spinal Stenosis, Scoliosis, DDD. Hypermobility in ankles caused most problems. Bilateral trochanteric bursitis Osteoarthritis in spine, wrists and hands. Golfer's Elbow. L4-L5 L5-S1 spinal fusion plus cage support and titanium spacers April 2008. Nov 2010, accident in shower caused compression fracture of L2. Missed by A&E. Functional lumbar spine stenosis from herniated disc at L3/L4 July 2015 XLIF discectomy plus XL-TDR very successful! Miraculous improvement in mobility! Hashimoto's syndrome, Depression, High Blood pressure, Fibromyalgia, Raynaud's Syndrome.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrannyLynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2015 at 9:38am
I have all over pain, some days are worse than others, i take 150mg of Lyrica twice a day, i was on Amitriptyline but had side effects so had to stop taking them, not sure there is anything else i can try, that is why i am thinking of trying Acupuncture.
l kirkman
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2015 at 9:57am
Definitely give Acupuncture a try. Some people get very good results from it for varying pain conditions.

My journey with chronic pain began over 30 years ago, while as a young nurse working spinal rehab, I injured my back lifting a patient. I am now fused from L2-S1. I have multiple thoracic and cervical issues. I'm a retired RN/PA and I know and understand the frustrations on both ends of the treatment spectrum of dealing with CP. It's been my goal since 2008, when we started this site, to reach out and help as many people in pain as possible. We will continue the fight as long as we can. Please, if you can help us continue to help you and others, donate. Thank you.
tkay View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2015 at 11:30am
It might be a good idea to check with your doctor about the dosages of medications you are taking, maybe it is time for an increase if possible. It wouldnt have to be for a long time, maybe just to get through the flare ups.
Rocken Roni View Drop Down
Charter - Member
Charter - Member
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocken Roni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2015 at 3:52pm
Your pain sounds horrible,,,, all over. I think I would rather have a couple of painful body parts then have pain all over. I agree with Tammie that maybe it's time to raise up your meds. Hopefully you can get the help you need soon so you can feel at least 1/2 human again. Good Luck.
Roni

Until one has felt the Love of an animal,
a part of their Soul remains Unawakened.

Unknown

1st injured Feb, 1997. Was told it was "Soft Tissue" and sent back to work - no X-rays
Late 1997 attended 1st Rehab Program to strengthen back. Mid 98 PCP took me off work. Tried going back to work over the next couple years, mostly off work due to pain.
June 2000, met with OS for first time. Did MRI , damage was L5-S1 totally blown out. Surgery done Jan, 2001.
Another Rehab program late 2001, attempted to go back to work early 2002. Slipped on water, fell flat on back screw fusion broke.
Went to 3rd Rehab program summer 2002.
Oct 2003 - 2nd Surgery, due to broken screw, had to operate from the front.
No improvement. Attended 4th Rehab program in 2004, at time It was decided NO work.
March 2006, had 3rd Surgery, this time fusion and instrumentation from Si to L3.
June 2008 Surgeon finally admitted I had Failed Back Surgery.
August 2009 WCB Finally put me on Long Term Disability
smilepony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smilepony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2016 at 2:44am
Sorry to hear that. Thanks for the discussion.
Edie View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2016 at 12:44am
Hi Granny, 
I am sorry you are not getting enough help from your GP. Fibromyalgia is a very painful condition. It is difficult to diagnose, and very difficult to treat. Have you seen a rheumatologist yet? Many of our members here suffer from this. It may may be helpful for you to look at some of their posts here. FIBROMYALGIA

If you can, tell us a little more about your situation.  How long have you been dealing with this, what doctors have you seen, what tests have they done, what have they said about it. These things would help us see where you are at,  and maybe to come up with some helpful suggestions.

It would be worth to try acupuncture. We can't say for sure that it will help, but some people do get some relief from it. Lyrica is also a very good medication for nerve pain. The problem is that sometimes when we take a medicine for too long, the body develops a tolerance to it, and then it doesn't work as well any more, as id did at the beginning. For now, all I can suggest is to keep moving and stretching as much as you are able to...Edie
Chronic pain throughout the spine caused by osteoarthritis (DDD). Started at neck, spread to thoracic, and lately to lumbar area. Most of my spine is affected by bulges, disc height loss and dehydration, bone spurs, annular tears, foraminal stenosis, probable nerve impingement, and degeneration at end plates and facets.

The disease extends from Cervical C2-3 to C7-T1. Thoracic T4 to T10.
Lumbar T12-L1 to L5-S1.
It is all non operable.

Other conditions
TKR R Knee.
Torn ACL, MCL L knee,
Pain on legs and calves
Deep vein thrombosis
Migraine headaches
Painful spots all over scalp
COPD
Hypertension
Chronic Hyperventilation. Caused by anxiety or stress
Chronic depression and insomnia
tkay View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2016 at 1:20pm
Hi GrannyLynn,
I apologize I have not been to CPS in a while.

I also have fibromyalgia and have been struggling.

My GP takes care of my medications and overviews them each time I see him. I talk to him about new symptoms.

It sounds like you are on the right combination of medication. Lyrica can be increased. Sometimes though if I am are in a huge flare up my doctor prescribes a short course of predinisone. I have been on two rounds. Finally things are settling down.

Fibromyalgia is a disease that all the doctors can really do is help you try to relieve the symptoms you have. Always stay ahead of what is going on, if you have stand by medication for flare ups take it, if you have new symptoms it is important to go to the doctor(even if nothing is done documentation of what is going on can be helpful for later on).

Fibromyalgia is such a disease that is different from person to person in how it presents and the symptoms a person has. Fibromyalgia is definitely a disease where you will have a team of doctors/professionals taking care of you, neurologists, rheumatology, psychologist, physical therapists, chiropractors, acupuncturists.

I am listening. I hope I can be of help to you.
 Post Reply Post Reply