Advertise
With Us 
ChronicPainSite.com Foundation, Inc Personal Homepage
Please, if you have not Donated lately we need your help.
Click here to find out how YOU can help
  Advertise
With Us 

FAQ FAQ   Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

To Our FB page      

Login
Register
---------
ChronicPainSite.com Foundation, Inc
RULES
Navigation
Main Page
Forum Home
About Us
Site Information
Our Advisors
Articles Home
Faces of Pain
Recipe Section
No Pain Pain Scale No Pain

FAQ
Member Control Panel
Login
Register
Walking Conversion Chart

DC's Stories

CP Man Stories

Donate

Hi all im new

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Larose80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larose80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hi all im new
    Posted: Nov/11/2015 at 11:20am
Hi all I'm new I have recently been confirmed by my Doctor that I have sciatica, I also have fibro/m.e so i am no stranger to chronic pain, this sciatica has knocked me for six I'm in so much pain with it can any one suggest and at home remedies etc. 

Thanks Kimzy  
Hangingon View Drop Down
Prior Member
Prior Member
I Donated to CPS 2015

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hangingon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2015 at 12:09pm
I also have sciatica. Mine seems to hurt the more inactive I am. I do a lot of stretching which helps. I also have a large wrap around deck that I walk all day long everyday.
I'm pretty sure more will come to welcome you. Being as its a holiday may be a lil slow today. 
Meanwhile welcome to our family.
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2015 at 1:33pm
Hi Kimzy and welcome here with us!

I'm sorry to hear that you are dealing with sciatica in addition to FM.  You mentioned the number 6---I was wondering if that would be 6 weeks or months?   If this is an acute onset of new pain, then you may benefit from some Physiotherapy, and/or gentle stretching at home.  If this hasn't been explored by your GP, or you are struggling for a period of months, then you really should have an MRI to find out what is going on.

Did something you can think of set this off, such as a fall or an accident, or did it just come on suddenly?  For home remedies, other than stretching and gentle exercises, you can try ice on the affected area such as the buttocks----15 minutes on and an hour off.  For more chronic sciatica, then try some heat---same time period.

Also, what if anything have you tried taking for this pain?  Many members get good relief from Gabapentin or Lyrica.  But, you may be on something for nerve pain for your FM.

Again, welcome here and we look forward to getting to know you better.  Stevie

Please donate to help Chronicpainsite.com continue to help others.

My journey with chronic pain began over 30 years ago, while as a young nurse working spinal rehab, I injured my back lifting a patient. I am now fused from L2-S1. I have multiple thoracic and cervical issues. I'm a retired RN/PA and I know and understand the frustrations on both ends of the treatment spectrum of dealing with CP. It's been my goal since 2008, when we started this site, to reach out and help as many people in pain as possible. We will continue the fight as long as we can. Please, if you can help us continue to help you and others, donate. Thank you.
pete81241 View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2013/14/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pete81241 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2015 at 4:09pm
hi kimsy...

sorry you are experiencing sciatic pain.
elizabeth mentioned walking. fact of the matter is walking is the safest therapy. stretching is also excellent but depending on whats causing your pain certain stretches may not be apropriate. i would recommend that a physical therapist advise you as to the best stretches...keep us posted as to your progress....pal pete
parkinsons disease.men1 genetic disorder. endocrine tumors in pituitary gland and pancreas. carpel tunnel syndrome. spinal stenosis.sleep apnea.vast knowledge of crutches and wheelchairs.borderline diabetic.gerd. both hips replaced. spinal stimulator. 7 spine surgeries/fusions. pain pump trial.Thrombocytopenia. no spleen.
Merlin View Drop Down
Prior Member
Prior Member
I Donated to CPS 2013-2016

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2015 at 5:59pm
Hi Kimsy

Welcome to our website - I am glad you have found us but so sorry it is pain that has brought you here

We all have pain - we understand what it does to your life and the lives of those around you - and sciatica is one of the bad ones -

But we do not compare our pain here - we just have pain - and this is how it is accepted - we are a family you are now part of an we accept all of this as part of the package we would all rather not have - but do

Walking and stretching are both good home physio activities - I do both - I had an MRI this week and the technician was pleased that I asked intelligent questions and pointed out a few things on my films - saying "Here's your sciatica"

Wow!! it's real! - it's visible!

But then - we have to deal with it and the stretching exercises Pete has suggested work a lot of the time - I think one reason is that it releases our endorphins - the natural pain-killers manufactured in our brain - I find flexing and extending my hip and then my knee and back to my hip and then my knee again until I am more comfortable works pretty well

When it comes to heat or ice - it's different strokes for different folks - I would go crackers if I put ice near my spine - but heat - oh joy - if anyone takes my medication away I would feel miserable - if they took my heat pack away I would be desperate - I can feel the heat working into the sore parts of my lumbar spine - I find heat the best thing I can do for myself.

I think you mean your sciatica has knocked you for a six - I get that - it has come out of the blue and blasted you - but did something happen to set it off.

And has your doctor suggested an MRI - this shows the inside of your body like a black and white photo - it is noisy - it is necessary to lie on your back in a machine that bangs and thumps away for about 15 to 20 minutes - and I did some relaxation breathing and the banging and thumping sort of hypnotized me or something - but the hard part was getting up off the part of the machine that you need to lie on

Let's know what is happening - we all need to talk about it and we all do.

So keep active and be gentle with yourself while doing it and we are all interested in what is going to happen - sciatica needs some kind of treatment but what we have suggested can keep you going for the time being

Jeff View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2014-2018

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2015 at 4:50am
Merlin and  Stevie are right - you sound like a good candidate for an MRI.  Many of us (me included) have nerve problems / pain from various spinal problems, though I personally haven't had sciatia or FM, but I have a long history of a very severe case of ankylosing spondylitis and my spine is totally fused except the C1-C2 levels in my spine, which fortunately is just enough to allow me to drive.

I take Lyrica 200 mg x 3 a day now, and I tried Horizant which is a time release (and expensive) version of gabapentin (Neurotin is the brand name).  I got no relief from the gabapentin, but Lyrica alleviates some types of nerve pain that are most severe and come out of the dark if I'm more than a couple hours late on my Lyrica.

Jeff
Ankylosing spondylitis resulting in fusion of entire cervical, thoracic, lumbar, and SI joints, osteoporosis, 5 compression fractures, severe stenosis of spinal cord & nerve root compression, cervical myelopathy, radiculopathy, bruise & permanent deformation of spinal cord, incomplete spinal cord injury, postlaminectomy syndrome of cervical region, chronic nerve and orthopedic severe pain, and bilateral carpal tunnel. Asthma, GERD, high blood pressure, high tryglycrides, diverticulosis, recurrent pneumonia, anemia, hypertension, chronic dry eye and mouth. Need hip & knee replacement and fusion of both feet. Already had 11 surgeries including 5 orthopedic & 1 neurosurgery.

Please donate to help Chronicpainsite.com continue to help others.
razzle51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote razzle51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2016 at 6:33am
there are good videos on you tube to help with Sacactic . exercises . try them ... exercise was the only that helped get rid of mine ...you have to do them every day ...

Post Reply Post Reply