Advertise
With Us 
ChronicPainSite.com Foundation, Inc Personal Homepage
Please, if you have not Donated lately we need your help.
Click here to find out how YOU can help
  Advertise
With Us 

FAQ FAQ   Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New FP Group.. LIFE WITH CHRONIC PAIN
How you can get more control of your health and life.
Click Here
To Our FB page      

Login
Register
---------
ChronicPainSite.com Foundation, Inc
RULES
Navigation
Main Page
Forum Home
About Us
Site Information
Our Advisors
Articles Home
Faces of Pain
Recipe Section
No Pain Pain Scale No Pain

FAQ
Member Control Panel
Login
Register
Walking Conversion Chart

DC's Stories

CP Man Stories

Donate

Medical Marijuana-US

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2016 at 7:24am
AZ is not OK with recreational use. A license must be obtained in order to use MJ legally. As Bailey said, it will last in your system from days to weeks, depending upon the amount consumed, your body fat % and metabolism.

A written pain contract should include any substances that are not allowed. To be sure, a phone call to the clinic should clear this up. As Bailey said, pain clinics are mostly interested in making sure that they medications they have prescribed are indeed showing up in your urine to cover themselves. They need to know that anything prescribed is being taken by the patient and not winding up being sold on the streets----unfortunately a problem that has led to part of the ongoing war on opioids.

Bailey----thank you for the link. I'm going to do my homework prior to investing in a vaporizer.

Please donate to help Chronicpainsite.com continue to help others.

My journey with chronic pain began over 30 years ago, while as a young nurse working spinal rehab, I injured my back lifting a patient. I am now fused from L2-S1. I have multiple thoracic and cervical issues. I'm a retired RN/PA and I know and understand the frustrations on both ends of the treatment spectrum of dealing with CP. It's been my goal since 2008, when we started this site, to reach out and help as many people in pain as possible. We will continue the fight as long as we can. Please, if you can help us continue to help you and others, donate. Thank you.
blaze 57 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blaze 57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2016 at 10:38am
I think because pot here in Wash. is like alcohol etc. 100% perfectly legal so I would imagine they don't want to deal with the HUGE legalities over saying you can't take opiates along with pot which is FAR safer than alcohol. Has anyone died from the pot and opiate combo? Well I haven't. It would ONLY be unsafe if you took too much of any...just like anything else. Muscle relaxers for me are VERY unsafe. The next day I can't think or do anything productive when I take those things. Pot NEVER does that!
Compression fractures T5 and T6 and wedging. Diagnosed with partial Adult Scheuermann's disease. 2X Transformial 3-level Thoracic Epidural and one 3-level facet joints injections.
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2016 at 3:42pm
Also, side effects from Pot do wear off. Like any medication ---- start out slowly until a tolerance is built and you know how you react to different strains.

It's so much better to have a license and to go to a dispensary where knowledgeable people can guide you and give information on the quality of the substance. Just as I buy organic foods,when possible, I want to know the purity of anything I'm putting into my body. I won't use anything that is "off the street". There is no way to know where it came from
, how it was grown, or how pure it is.

My journey with chronic pain began over 30 years ago, while as a young nurse working spinal rehab, I injured my back lifting a patient. I am now fused from L2-S1. I have multiple thoracic and cervical issues. I'm a retired RN/PA and I know and understand the frustrations on both ends of the treatment spectrum of dealing with CP. It's been my goal since 2008, when we started this site, to reach out and help as many people in pain as possible. We will continue the fight as long as we can. Please, if you can help us continue to help you and others, donate. Thank you.
Kate View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2016

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2016 at 5:45am

Bailey, Excellent ideas. I was offered a copy but said that I didn't need it but I'll get it now!

Stevie, You're right. Folks at the doctors office can give advice and they would be the ones that know how much and what kind is available.
Pudendal Decompression Surgery 3/14/2011 failed
L3 to S1 all fused Surgery 8/22/2012
Degenerative Disc Disease
Failed back surgery syndrome
Knee replaced
Sero-negative Rheumatoid Arthritis
Fentanyl Patch
Spondylolithesis of back
CRPS
Kate View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2016

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2016 at 5:51am
Stevie,

I got a big vaporizer that you have to work to get set up. But the best by far is the vaporizer that looks like an e cigerette. Very easy to use, less expensive and works just as well!

Kate
Pudendal Decompression Surgery 3/14/2011 failed
L3 to S1 all fused Surgery 8/22/2012
Degenerative Disc Disease
Failed back surgery syndrome
Knee replaced
Sero-negative Rheumatoid Arthritis
Fentanyl Patch
Spondylolithesis of back
CRPS
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2016 at 9:03am
Kate and all-----

I finally got my license in the mail on Monday. Going to the dispensary the first time can be a daunting process when you are looking at so many different strains and varieties along with topicals, tinctures, and edibles. But, the "budmeisters" are exceedingly knowledgable and helpful. And so are the other MMJ patients in the waiting room. And the amount of material online (Leafly is a good one) are also full of information.

I found it best to get a small amount of different strains----3 in the Indica family for pain management and sleep and relaxation and one in the Sativa family for daytime use. As I'm a novice and learning as I go, I've only used one strain a few times of Indica late in the day and at bedtime. I'm really happy to say that I've not only slept better the past two nights than I have in years, but that I haven't had to take one single med during the night for pain.

I did get the vaporizer Kate mentioned that looks like an e cigarette, is inexpensive and very easy to use. I do have a "Solo" coming as a birthday gift that I'm anxious to try.

Anyhow, it's my hope now once many things going on in my life calm down to be able to get back to my regular swimming, start to very slowly wean off the small amount of medications I'm currently on for pain, and continue to learn a lot more about how the medicinal properties of cannabis works. It's actually fascinating.

Anyone reading this who has anything to offer----please pipe in. I'm just learning, and most definitely want anything I say incorrectly to be corrected

rdoug View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2016

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2016 at 9:05am
Good Morning All, just got out of the hospital after a week long stay. Evidently, when I had my last back surgery (L4-S1 fusion) some 12-14 yrs ago they had "nicked" some areas of my intestines while putting me back together. Over the years quite a bit of scar tissue formed and actually grew together forming "pinch points" and creating a massive blockage. After enduring a week of SEVERE pain I finally had to go to the E.R. They gave me a ct scan w/dye and x-rays and soon after rushed me into surgery. The Dr. said if I had waited a couple more days I would probably not have survived the situation ! After a few days I had my first b/m in about 2 weeks, talk about relief !!! My reason for telling all this here is to say that if you should experience any "abnormal" pain or signs with constipation aside from the usual discomfort that I'm sure many of us on this site suffer due to pain meds, etc. PLEASE don't put off calling your Dr. and having it checked out !!! On another topic, I had just switched pain drs. and in the process asked the new doc his views/policies on MMJ use. He said in my particular case being "mobile" as in able to drive, work at times etc. He would not prescribe any opiates if and when I had any MMJ in my system. His reasoning being a possible bad reaction with certain combinations of the two. So I told him I would forego trying the MMJ for the time being, as I was overjoyed at just being able to get back to an amount of meds to make life somewhat bearable again ! I'm hoping in the near future I can work it out whereas I can get a hiatus from the meds for a week or two to try the MMJ and see how it works for me. He seems to be a very understanding guy so I'm fairly confident he will let me do that once we get to know each other a little better. Well I hope everyone is having the best day possible, And I thank everyone on the site for all their help and assistance !!!
All things will pass
rdoug View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2016

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2016 at 9:12am
P.S. I went and saw the MMJ dr. yesterday and was approved and am completing and mailing my app to the state so I will have the card shortly, so if and when I get my docs okay I will be all set to try it.
All things will pass
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2016 at 12:23pm
Hi Doug,

What an awful experience. I really hope you're on the mend now.

About using MMJ---I would ask your Dr to work with you re using your regular pain meds and MMJ. My MMJ Dr was adamant that I NOT stop my regular meds, and wean off carefully if I find the MJ is helping with pain. My "regular" Dr has no problem at all with me having my license, and we both agreed that the purpose is to have the ability to use less and less medication over time. I need to explain that I'm on very little---so my case could be entirely different than yours or anyone else's.

The real issue as I see it, is that we are having to learn from one another about using MMJ. The medical establishment wants nothing to do with this( in many cases), and therefore won't be of much help in making any type of transition. If anyone is ultra-sensitive to medications (as I am), you may well find the same reaction to using MMJ. Today's MJ is not what was found on the streets years ago. It's much more pure and stronger. I'm such a novice that I can use only a fraction of even a tincture form than is recommended on the bottle.

Good luck Doug---you'll get it all worked out:)

rdoug View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2016

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2016 at 5:49pm
Thank You Stevie, That's a very good point about not stopping the meds all at once, I am on some pretty hefty stuff: 2-40mg Opanas, 5-15mg morphine sulfates per day plus muscle relaxers when needed so I most certainly would go through some serious withdrawals. Thanks for reminding me, it will definitely affect how I go about a plan with him Wink
All things will pass
dbarbeau48 View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2013-2016

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbarbeau48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2016 at 9:27am
I have a few questions regarding traveling with your MMJ. Can you board a plane with it in your carry-on? Let's say you are driving to your destination and passing through states that don't have MMJ laws. Are you subject to arrest?

Dick
Five knee surgeries from 1970 to 2000. Knee replacement in 2000.Spinal stenosis surgery in May of 2002. Diagnosed with Pseudogout in 2005, effecting hands, knees, and shoulders. Emergency surgery in March of 2006 for spinal infection of L 2 and L 3. During surgery, discovered I had Cauda Equina Syndrome. Spine became unstable after surgery and had 360 fusion with 10 pedicle screws, plates and rods in April of 2007. Retired early as a high school principal. Recently, have had trigger finger surgery on both hands as well as surgery for severe bi-lateral Carpal Tunnel disease.
Hangingon View Drop Down
Prior Member
Prior Member
I Donated to CPS 2015

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hangingon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2016 at 10:51am
As far as I Know yes, basicly the same with gun laws too.
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2016 at 12:28pm
It depends. In MOST cases you cannot leave your authorizing State. However, a person really needs to check their State laws. Remember, while its legal in 24 States, it's not legal Federally. So that prohibits flying or entering States that don't accept your license, even IF they have approved its use legally.

I can travel anywhere within the State of AZ with my MMJ.

However------ AZ recognizes OTHER States licenses, although the dispensaries can't sell to them. So, if I'm reading the law correctly, I couldn't drive from AZ to California because CA won't recognize another States card. But, a person who has a card in CA could drive to AZ with their own product. However, as Colorado has made it legal for both medical and recreational use, I would be OK to drive there with it as long as I only went directly from AZ to CO. Again, I would call CO to ask first.

To be absolutely positive prior to ever leaving your State, call. I have an 800 number on the bottom of my card for any questions to be answered. My card also states" possessing marijuana may be in violation of local, state or federal laws".

Clear as mud-----I know.

tkay View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2016 at 8:29pm
That is clear as mud.
With the way things that happen to me, I would be in jail or something. Its just what happens in my life. lol

I have been doing a bit of research on of MMJ in oil form. One of my friends uses this particular method of using MMJ.

Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2016 at 9:40pm
Yeah, Tammie

I feel the same way. Waiting for the other shoe to drop, and then figuring what the heck would they want with a 68 (soon to be 69) year old woman to take care of ?   So, I think that I dedicate the rest of the time I have battling this crazy war on drugs.   Get it back to Dr and patient. Stop the craziness that is happening, and in great part to the thousands of people who can't get help legally and wind up on the streets.

Find an alternative method for fighting pain. MMJ is just one, but if it works---- give it a try. It won't be for everyone. Nothing is. But then, fighting CP is and never will be a magic , single answer. And, I'm afraid it's going to get much worse before it gets better.

Hangingon View Drop Down
Prior Member
Prior Member
I Donated to CPS 2015

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hangingon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2016 at 12:33am
In my opinion it was fine till the insurance companies got to the point where they control the Drs. My Pm has told me more then once his hands are tied behind his back cause of the insurance. And I guarantee a lot of these insurance companies are involved with pharmaceutical companies too. They are probably fighting tooth n nail to keep MJ from being totally legal. They would lose millions.
tkay View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2016 at 7:38pm
Stevie,
I am willing to try most everything if I know the dosages and directions for use. If I could find a Holistic doctor I would use them in addition to using every one else I see.

Hangingon
This insurance stuff drives me crazy.
It makes me at times wonder why I have it if I have to pay every time I go see the dr. Having the high deductible that we have make it feel like all it is good for is catastrophes.
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2016 at 10:41pm
Tammie,

Your state is approved for legal use. You can get a list of approved Doctors with a simple google search, along with the requisite medical records needed. The process in my state was far easier than I ever thought. And, I did discuss it with my Dr prior to doing this. We needed to be on the same page as far as pain management is concerned.

There are guidelines in place for dosages for tinctures. But, I've found this to be as challenging as starting any med for pain I've been given, and realizing that I need a smaller dosage of anything than most people do. So, start out small and work up.

The MMJ Dr that approved my license was a Naturopathic MD. Very helpful, as well as the people in the dispensaries. It's a start and I hate smoking. So, I use a vaporizer and a tincture and topicals. There are edibles as well, but I haven't tried any due to my gluten intolerance and also fear of ingesting more than I can handle. I'm a lightweight.

I have tons to learn. I don't know if this is the path I'll follow. I do know that I need to learn and find out what it will take to live out my last years with some peace and dignity.

tkay View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2016 at 3:24pm
My doctor was against it at one point. I am not sure where he is on this subject now.

I overheard someone talk about a massage they got recently where MMJ oil was used. That really peeked my interest. I did not hear the whole conversation.
Bailey View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2016 at 7:07pm
If you get an opportunity to try an infused topical, it's worth a try. I have had more pain relief using infused topoical lotions and oils, than anything except OxyContin.

By using mmj in several different ways, I've decreased my meds by over 90%. I hope to be completely off the prescription narcotics in another couple weeks. Then I'll tackle the anti-depressant.

It is an amazing little plant.
DDD C3-C6 with multiple osteophytes causing both moderate foraminal and canal stenosis and flattening and impinging on the spinal cord
Cervical Facet arthritis
Chronic Pain Syndrome
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2016 at 10:13pm
I have just started to use an infused topical. It's amazing. Honestly. NO "buzz". Just warmth and amazing pain relief. As I've only used it a couple of times, I can't tell you how long the decrease in pain is. But I can say that within minutes my neck and back pain settled down far better than anything I could have swallowed medication wise.

I'm going back to the dispensary ASAP to stock up on it.

Baileys right. The immediate pain relief is incredibly effective.

Bailey View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2016 at 3:57am
Found this and thought it may help some of the American members,

http://medicalmarijuana.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=000881#RhodeIsland
DDD C3-C6 with multiple osteophytes causing both moderate foraminal and canal stenosis and flattening and impinging on the spinal cord
Cervical Facet arthritis
Chronic Pain Syndrome
blaze 57 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blaze 57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2016 at 12:05pm
I'm down to only two 5mg Percocet's per day now. I'm making THC oil using the NO SOLVENT method. Its called "rosin tech" and is very easy to make and the pain relief is incredible. The oil is more effective for me as far as pain control compared to smoking flowers. 
Compression fractures T5 and T6 and wedging. Diagnosed with partial Adult Scheuermann's disease. 2X Transformial 3-level Thoracic Epidural and one 3-level facet joints injections.
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2016 at 10:41pm
Blaze----

Can you tell us more about this? How to make and use it? I'm also way down on meds by using tinctures, topicals and vaporizers. My goal is to be completely off all meds if at all possible. And, if never completely off, taking so much less and relieved that there's another alternative out there.

We all need options. Feeling in control. And, they are there.

Jeff View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2014-2016

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2016 at 11:50pm
What is in your infused topical Stevie?
Ankylosing spondylitis & osteoporosis -> compression fractures -> facet & ligamentum flavum hypertrophy-> stenosis -> spinal cord & nerve root compression -> cervical myelopathy & radiculopathy -> bruise & deformation of my spinal cord -> incomplete spinal cord injury -> postlaminectomy syndrome of cervical region. Cervical laminectomy & fusion decompressed my cord but I now have severe chronic pain. Pain meds = Oxycontin, Percocet, Lyrica, Soma, Cymbalta, Voltaren Gel, & Ketamine pain cream. 11 surgeries including 5 orthopedic & 1 neurosurgery.

Hangingon View Drop Down
Prior Member
Prior Member
I Donated to CPS 2015

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hangingon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2016 at 11:53pm
No Options for me, where I live maybe my granddaughters ,granddaughter might be able to use MMJ. And will never be able afford to move. I can't even afford the copays for surgery let alone moving. I had to use up the dividends that built up on my life insurance to get glasses. I just have to deal with whatever happens. One way or the other.
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2016 at 9:03am
Jeff----

The topicals are made up from various oils such as olive, almond, grape seed, beeswax, essential oils ( I like Lavendar ), and the list goes on and possibilities are endless. And, of course MMJ. I can say hands down that these topicals are by far the best topical pain relief I've experienced----NO side effects----and can be used as often as needed. I've probably tried everything out there over the years and wish I'd had access to this a long time ago.

tkay View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2016 at 9:31pm
I was wondering about Hemp Oil.
I came across an article about it through fibrotoday.com

I found an article that talks about using MJ and Hemp oils.

http://www.fibrotoday.com/medical-marijuana-tips-fibromyalgia-sufferers/
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2016 at 10:03pm
Hey Tammie----

Read through the article twice (which is very good), but didn't see anything about hemp oil. Am I missing something? I personally don't know anything about it but would love to learn:). I'm thinking it's not actual MJ but I could be (and most likely am) wrong.

I would like to comment on my limited experience with the people in the dispensary I go to. They couldn't be more helpful. They listen to and ask what my goals are and lead me in the right direction. I've yet to be disappointed. I've explained that I'm a novice and appreciate any help.

Also----it's true you can't OD on MMJ. But, symptoms for some can be very uncomfortable. So please, when a newbie like me (just as I did with RX meds) go low and slow. Learn your tolerance and build up.

Bailey View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2016 at 2:40am
Hi Tammie,

What were you wondering? Hemp is not the same as cannabis medically. It's been used and bred for centuries for rope and fiber. It's seeds can make a nutritious oil, I have some in my fridge. But it does not have the curative, healing properties of cannabis.

There are tons of people trying to cash in on the healing cannabis can provide. In the same way there are a million products out there that will Not cure our chronic pain, there are now lots of hemp based products being passed off as CBD rich and good for you.

They "may" be healthy, but they will not cure anything or relieve your pain.
Cervical Facet arthritis
Chronic Pain Syndrome
Merlin View Drop Down
Prior Member
Prior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2016 at 2:07am
Hi Elizabeth

I'm sorry I missed your post - you really are without options where you are and because of your financial situation

It must be hard for you reading that other people are able to get MMJ - which might be really great for you - but your user-name "Hangingon" seems to be the right one for you - you are hanging on by your fingernails waiting for something to work in your favour

How great for you if you could take something that would help without messing around with your other medication

I have uncomfortable feelings about using this myself - but this is me - and if it could work for you how wonderful.

All the best - sometimes we have to be a squeaky wheel - but for you right now - that sounds hard

Sending as many hugs as I can - my own state of being is not comfortable and I have to get off the computer - I have a headache people could see I bet - and no way I can eat todayWilted-Flower

And it's raining /////////////////

Lots//////////

You need support - I am glad you have found some in this site -

You are in my best thoughts

Gentle hugsWarm-Fuzzy
tkay View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2016 at 3:24pm

This is the article I thought I had posted. Sorry.

http://www.fibrotoday.com/5-facts-about-cbd-oil-and-fibromyalgia/
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2016 at 4:27pm
I would say "buyer beware".

I have no personal knowledge of CBD hemp oil. Only CBD MJ topical ointment and tincture which I can attest to working. I'd go for the MMJ version of product knowing where I'm buying it and where it's been harvested and made. So, as long as a person lives in a State or Provence where MJ is legal, go for the "real" thing. There are NO adverse effects from using a MJ topical ointment----it's great!!!!

I did contact a source who has vast knowledge re cannabis and hemp oil. He said that as hemp oil is legal in all 50 States, there's been a lot of scamming on the Internet by companies selling these products that are not very effective in chronic pain management. That it "may" help a little for a short time, and could be added into other treatments. But, again--buyer beware.

blaze 57 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blaze 57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2016 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by Stevie Stevie wrote:

Blaze----

Can you tell us more about this? How to make and use it? I'm also way down on meds by using tinctures, topicals and vaporizers. My goal is to be completely off all meds if at all possible. And, if never completely off, taking so much less and relieved that there's another alternative out there.

We all need options. Feeling in control. And, they are there.

Stevie, google it...."how to make rosin tech hash.".....I make it into "dabs". I use a water pipe that has a "titanium nail" that you place the dabs on and vaporize it. You get a lot of medicine at once so all it takes is a small dab about the size of a BB... no bigger for your first time. It does take quite a bit of weed to make this because you are only using the THC, CBDs etc and throwing away the rest.
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2016 at 4:15pm
Thanks Blaze,

I think as a novice, when I try the oil, I'll purchase it from the dispensary. As MMJ is expensive, and I have a very limited supply, I can't afford to mess it up. I'm doing really well with making small batch tinctures that work well, and topicals I love but am working in making them less greasy.

blaze 57 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blaze 57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2016 at 8:27pm
Stevie, yes you can buy dabs, oil or shatter (all the same) at your local dispensary.  The best and easiest set up is a devise called an "e-nail". It heats the nail to the PROPER temp which is very important. I use a "titanium nail" and its drawback you kind of have to guess where the best vaping temp.

Now I ONLY smoke this for sleep about an hr before bed. The main reason I do "dabs" in this method (vaporizing) because its the easiest way for my lungs. There is no green stuff, chlorophyll etc involved. Once you have the vapor temp correct its like you took nothing in your lungs.
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2016 at 10:32pm
Thanks blaze

I do have what's needed in my vapes. I'm just going really slow and easy. Finding out what I can use with success and what doesn't work as well.

My biggest fear is that I may never get off all meds completely even though I've tapered down a lot. I'm on virtually nothing. But, don't think I can ever stop forever without spending the rest of my life in bed. I should be happy with any and all reductions and that the bad days needn't upset me so much.

It's a phase we all must go through, when acceptance of CP HITS THE WALL. And, we slide back into the ANGER stage. I'm so tired of being in pain 24/7. I know we all are. But sometimes CP kicks us in the ass. And right now I want to kick it back.

Bacawind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bacawind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2016 at 7:44pm
I found this site looking for ideas on how to apply topicals on my back, for when I can't reach it myself. I searched for "topicals" and ended up at this thread. (Still looking for suggestions better than my tennis-ball-mounted-on-the-wall. LOL)

One of the topicals I make has marijuana in it. I wouldn't have mentioned it if not for this thread. 

I'm the first to see how fortunate I am to live in Colorado. It breaks my heart that so many people are kept from this plant. Please keep fighting, call your congress members, representatives, all politicians, tell them how wrong it is to keep anyone from relief and healing. 

We grow our own, eat it raw (the leaves), make topicals, tinctures, and edibles (from leaves and bud/flower) and we make hash, in addition to just curing and smoking the buds. (I don't smoke nor vape MMJ.) We just grow in backyard soil amended with our homemade compost. The only thing we buy is neem oil for pests. We have grown indoors under lights, but our growing season harvest is plenty for us. We don't have medical cards, so we each get 3 vegetative and 3 flowering. 

This picture has two plants, one that my husband is checking on, and one in the foreground. My husband is 5'9", the fan blades are at 10' (it's a 12' ceiling), and the studs are 24" OC. The plant my husband is checking on was Genie. 

We eat the leaves as it grows, we harvest leaves, decarboxylate them, and make topicals, tinctures, and edibles, all through the season. Sort of like "cut and come again" gardening. It turned out that "Genie" was a "Gene!" But we use males the same as females (other than getting any flowers/buds). We save seeds and grow again. 

I used topical on my shingles, worked great! One of our dogs is terrified of thunder, we give her some when a storm comes in. We use topical on all open wounds and insect bites, it works within the minute of application. 

We don't have medical cards, we just haven't found the need for one. I have all my medical paperwork ready to go, I just haven't needed to. We have been to some dispensaries but we found our homegrown to be far superior, not to mention cheaper! The highest plant count I know of is a friend of ours with a medical card for 99 plants. That would certainly allow for juicing raw leaf. 

Our first year we grew a strain called Diamond Girl. That did have a distinct odor, although I wouldn't call it "skunk." Just like flowers have odors, so do some strains. One strain was Super Bud, it had very little odor at all. Gene was a cross between Super Bud and another (I forget) and it had minimal odor. "Skunk" can be a term for marijuana in general, and some strains have "skunk" in their names, but not all strains smell strongly. 

I have two black thumbs! If I can keep a marijuana plant alive, anyone can. There's a reason they are called "weed!"

Now, how do I get the topicals between my shoulder blades when I can't move?! LOL
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2016 at 8:56pm
What a GREAT post!!!!!!!!

Living in Colorado, you don't need any sort of card to be "legal". So please----anyone reading this, understand that this is specific to Colorado law.

Please, please please. Keep posting. The more, the better we can learn much from you.

As a novice, and only having my license for a few months, I have so much to learn about how much good this remarkable plant does.

As for your last question about getting the topicals between your shoulder blades, the best member to help,with that is Bailey    
I'm sure she will be along tomorrow with super suggestions.

Thank you again and I'm glued to this thread. I need to go back to your post when I have some extra time to ask questions:)

Bailey View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2016 at 3:24am
Hi bacawind,

Welcome and thanks for sharing. I too have great results from using cannabis in many ways. Topicals have given me better relief than anything so far. Like you, applying it can be the hardest part.

I have a SkinFinity set that is fantastic. Comes with several attachments, but so far all I use is the lotion applicator pads. Which you can get refills for, none of the others I looked at had this feature.

Hope the pic shows up.
https://www.delasco.com/pcat/3/Eczema_Treatments/SkinFinityP/SkinFinityP/
Cervical Facet arthritis
Chronic Pain Syndrome
Bacawind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bacawind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2016 at 8:15am
We're in "spring cleaning" mode, And have out of town friends coming tomorrow for a week, AND keep on top of growing! Way too much for me to not have feeling in my arms and hands, or my back quit on me. I'm trying not to "over-do-it" and still get something done. So frustrating, having to pace myself to clean the bathroom. I do appreciate being able to grip and moan to yall! But no more time for that...

Bailey, I'm on to visit your link. I was going to ask you about your carriers. I don't know that it should go here or a pm. Maybe a separate thread? Of recipes for various topicals and such? I make RSO, but I dare not bring it up without writing about all the safety issues, which would need a thread too. Again, I stand on the shoulders of the giants before me, so I could offer resources. 

Okay, off to tackle the toilet. Getting down is easy, the hard part is trying to stand back up! LOL Wish me luck!

PADoxieLVR View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2016

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PADoxieLVR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2016 at 11:02pm
Backawind, I'm so jealous. I wish I lived in Colorado. PA just passed medical MMJ and it will be two years before it is available. At that time I have the possibility of getting kicked out out of pain mgmt.Double edge sword. Welcome to the group. These are a great bunch of people.
Chiari Malformation, tethered cord, surgery for that & lumbar lamenectomy.DDD, herniated discs arthritis, archnoiditis,to name a few. I should be disabled but run a business.
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2016 at 6:47pm
Bacawind--

As a "nongrower" I don't do a lot with making my own products. But, I've used some flowers I've purchased from my dispensary ( that I don't find palatable in vaping) to make tinctures (small batch green dragon) and topicals. Oh, and still looking for a great topical that is not greasy and stains my clothes.

I'm worried about any amateur even attempting making a CO due to the high dangers involved. I've even read that this should be done outdoors. So, I think in our members safety we leave this off our forums but would love thread started on topicals and tinctures. And PM's are great. 😀

Hangingon View Drop Down
Prior Member
Prior Member
I Donated to CPS 2015

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hangingon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2016 at 11:07am
I'm jealous too . Here in Georgia I don't even think my great grandkids would have the option. And no way we could afford to move. They just need to legalize it and get it over with. But with more of our rights being taken away everyday and the pharm companies having so much control I doubt it will happen.
EJM3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2016 at 8:05pm
I would not recommend that a novice try to make RSO alone, you should always have a person who is knowledgeable with the procedure; plus at least a couple large fire extinguishers on hand.  The process calls for boiling of a solvent to obtain a thick oily paste, the original called for using naphtha whereas most now use 95% ethanol.  Regardless of the solvent you use all will be EXPLOSIVE when boiled!!!  I happen to have friends who grow outdoors organically and make their own RSO, canabutter, candies, cookies & other medibles, as well as dried bud, we even brought them another gallon of 95% ethanol this past week.

Speaking of my friends & their girls, they have a few new high CBD varieties they are testing out.  The one I am currently smoking has ~30% CBD to under 7% THC in it, rolled a joint to get a larger dose on a very bad day that started with praying to the porcelain goddess at 6AM (almost 6PM right now); so no pain meds or lyrica in me for 2 doses.  So far I'm having reduced pain in my feet, knees, neck & arms, that is on top of the nausea being mostly gone (tried zofran & phenergan to no effect this morning).  So I'd have to say that empirically I have ample evidence that high CBD varieties work on my multiple different types of pain, others may not get these kinds of results as everyone's body reacts differently...

Here are a couple of interesting tidbits that I came across while researching a little:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2503660/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0032740/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2451037/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2828614/

HIV+ since 1995, HIV causing neuropathy in feet, lower leg & thighs, meds also caused some of the nerve damage over the years. Depopulation of immune cells in the gut causing Nausea, Vomiting, Diarrhea, Anorexia (NOT nervosa!) & a few others. Significant central and foraminal stenosis at C5-6, Bilateral multi level foraminal stenosis due to short pedicles and uncovertebral hypertrophy, mild to moderate multi-level central stenosis. ACDF at C5-C6 w/hardware Aug 2012, C4-5 and C6-7 are starting to fail. Permanent nerve damage (pain, not motor) from before ACDF. TOS/NTOS for over 30 years. Polyarthralgia Dx Dec 2014. FRRS Surgery 11-19-15 to correct TOS/NTOS. 10-18-16 New MRI for possible ASD of C4-C5 & C6-C7...
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2016 at 4:22pm
It's great to have you and your vast knowledge back here!!! Thank you.

I do have my license and am still learning about this incredible plant. Here is a C&P I did on another thread:

It is the most underused medication available for CP and I'm so glad to see discussions open up about its use.

While it may not be the "wonder drug" for all types of pain, it's a GREAT adjunct in helping to cut down on some meds and to add benefits to meds being taken.

The most important thing we can do to help members is ongoing education on MMJ. It can be used in SO many ways and in ways that do not impair thinking or the ability to "function". It's a great topical. Tincture. Medible. Vaporizing and more. Strains vary and some are great for relaxation and sleep while others work better during the day. I'm being very "untechnical" here and elementary in my descriptions. But---side effects diminish quickly---IMO far faster than medications and there has never been an overdose on MJ.

SO---everyone who can take the opportunity to get a license and buy from reputable sources, or better yet the ability to grow organically ---really consider it.

Katmary View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katmary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2017 at 2:06pm
What great information, thank you all for all the knowledge you have shared.

I just got out of the hospital and have been to the ER over 10 times the last few months. I was an early member here and haven't posted in years. I was given the boot from my pain clinic after accidentally recycling my script. Because I asked if the script could be replaced, I received a letter that I'd violated my contract by asking for drugs. They receive info from pharmacy when I filled triplicates, so they know I didn't use it. The nurse told the other doctor in the practice who threw his hands in the air, shook his head, and offered to detox me. The cost was prohibitive, starting at $2000 to get STARTED. I cold turkeyed off 100mgs of Methodone and cut my clonazepam (I know, I'm tapering off it after 20 years from when first pain doc put me on it and second doubled it. I'm almost off it now, According to the dependency doctor that I saw 3 months out after my doctor and I worked to taper off it, I had the worst case of post acute withdrawal she's ever seen, and she offered to treat my pain as well by putting me on Suboxonr.

Fast forward and I believe I had a reaction to Nalaxone, the compound with the the opioid. I was hospitalized with pancreatitis, and been to the ER with hypoglycemia and was diagnosed with diabetes when I had acid ketosis. My liver and pancreas numbers are crazy, The doctors dont know ehat caused pancreatitis, but suspect a drug is building up in my system. I have a fatty liver and know it's time to quit Opioids. I have all the signs of common and rare reactions, such as tachycardia, hormone problems, seizures, fainting, etc. I've stopped breathing in my sleep and felt my lungs start up again. My chest is sprained from spasms in my sleep and muscles head to toe are spasmig.

I've only tried MJ once for pain and it did help my pelvic nerve pain and obturator nerve damage. I hadn't slept for a week at the time and slept for two days. My lungs were at half capacity when I went to the ER a fee days ago with my 1st official asthma attack. I have allergic asthma and have had a little feral cat in the house the last two years thinking I wasn't allergic to her. Coming home from the hospital and transitioning to Vicodan has helped as I'm on 1/3 of what I was on with Suboxone. My body is a mess right now!

I found a dispenserary near me that had goid Yelp reviews. She gave me an addy to go to and told me I could make the card on my computer after I talked to the doctor. I'm in CA. My liver is hurting despite staying at 4 Vicodan and I'm in a lot of pain, plus the withdrawal effects, and haven't slept more than a couple hours at a time. I'm looking into CBD tincture, but am still researching. I quit smoking cigarettes before my fusion and with asthma, would rather not smoke it. The doctor I talk with is supposed to make recommendations as well. I asked my doctor about CBD expecting a bad reaction, but she was all for it. Now I have to get my new family doc to prescribe Norco to taper off somehow or cold turkey again. I'm hoping the woman at the despensary is right about being able to do it quickly! Thanks again for the great info!
1991 Disc Excision L5-S1 for herniated disc.

1996 During routine laparoscopy for endometriosis, had multiple pelvic and bladder nerves burned, resulting in neuralgia and dysfunction of nerves & organs in left pelvis, leg, groin, etc.. Have tried many treatments with varying success.

4/28&30/08 ALIF & PLIF L4-S1 for congenital stenosis, re-herniation,disk tears.

4/27/2009 Hardware removal surgery
Katmary View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katmary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2017 at 5:00am
It's me again! I wanted to update what happened with app process and talking to doctor via teleconference today. If I remember correctly from the short time I moderated, links aren't OK? The dispensery gave me a website for info and talking to a doctor that other patients had been happy with. I'll put it in and one of you can edit it, though it has lots of info as well, it's HelloMD.com. it takes you through taking your pic for card and had a $59 consultation fee. You fill out all your history and meds, then teleconference with a physician. We talked for a good 20 minutes and he'd had experience with chronic pain, nerve pain, etc. I was at an awful pain clinic and he made a lot of sense. Here's what he suggested;

1. Was surprised I could still laugh! Was sympathetic and compassionate.

2. Suggested CBD taken at times when I don't take my other meds due to possible reaction, especially with Gabapentin and clonazepam (stupid hospital upped my dosage, I was on the last step of tapering until I had pancreatitis.

3. Strongly feels I have complex regional pain syndrome due to pelvic nerve damage.

4. Strongly suggested Cognitive Beahavioral therapy. I was doing this before with pain doctor 12 years ago and loved it, but had to move. I'd planned to get a PhD in Health Psychology when I had surgery for endo, so this is right up my alley.

5. Discussed diagnosis of Fibromyalgia years ago by naturopathic doctor who had previously been a nurse.

6. Practice Mindfulness. Take one day at a time, one mountain at a time.

7. Don't smoke it due to asthma and albuterol inhaler.

I think this is it. My card should come in the next few days. He said he was cautiously optimistic and looked forward to talking to me next year. Hope this helps someone!

1996 During routine laparoscopy for endometriosis, had multiple pelvic and bladder nerves burned, resulting in neuralgia and dysfunction of nerves & organs in left pelvis, leg, groin, etc.. Have tried many treatments with varying success.

Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2017 at 4:00pm
Hi Kat--it's great to hear from you, but sorry to hear you are still going through so much.

The link is fine, although I'm unsure how this works in other States as each has their own set of rules. Here in AZ, we must see a Dr certified in approving our MMJ license, so it does involve an office visit and then they submit all pertinent information to the State for approval. My Dr has been a tremendous source of help as I was completely naive about any use of marijuana for pain. For instance, I didn't know the difference between Sativa and Indica. She also explained edibles and how to use them. She did explain that any "reactions " go away with time, and it's known that there has never been a reported death from MMJ use. So, the more education we get the better as MMJ is not "cheap", but has allowed me to decrease and eliminate meds. I'm also finally sleeping so much better using gummy bears at night. There's lots of trial and errors involved but IMO it's been a great tool in the arsenal in the fight to live with CP.

Please let us know how you make out once you get your license. Also, ask questions about anything and everything at the dispensary. They can be very helpful.

Katmary View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katmary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2017 at 10:21pm
Hi Stevie! It's great to see you! I'm hanging in there, just wish I could get some sleep.  I guess the one good thing about dealing with pain for so long is I've developed a tough mental skin, but after going twice to the ER after getting out of the hospital I finally burst into tears. It stinks to not be believed in the ER when you feel like you're dying!

HelloMD is for CA only.  They're located in San Francisco, too far for me to drive or I would.  I was seeing a pain psychologist and doing hypnosis and travelled by train to see him after moving for a bit, but it was too long of a commute for me.

I've tried Marijuana once for pain, I helped get it for a friend who used it for obturator and femoral neuralgias.  She wasn't able to pick it up and I'd been up for a week in horrible pain, so I tried it and slept for 2 days, scaring the heck out of my parents! The doctor sent me a large review about options for my issues.  Aside of that one time, recreational marijuana made me super tired and I felt that way all the time anyhow, but that could be due to endo.  The one time I tried it and was mad at my boyfriend I couldn't stop laughing and that made me really mad, LOL! The dispensary delivers, I'd assumed it would be in person.  I'm learning a lot and will reread the thread once my mind relaxes a bit more, there's so much good information.

I'm coming off insulin now as apparently pancreatitis caused me to be diabetic.  It IS strong on both sides of my family.  I was going from ketosis to hypoglycemic constantly, I was a wreck, and now I keep going hypoglycemic or get normal readings, so I'm cutting back my medication. I stopped Mirena (did horrible on it) and Cymbalta in Feb/March, the latter as my doctor felt I had a mild case of Serotonin Syndrome.  I have been sensitive to meds in the past and had alopecia totalis for 2 years around 30, so being sensitive to them or Suboxone could've led to hepatitis and pancreatitis. Paralysis started after that and I'd wake up and jump out of bed to stomp it out.  I've had tachycardia for over a year now and it's still pounding away, but my BP is not at dangerous levels as long as I move slow. I haven't passed out, blacked out, or had a seizure in the last week. I DO sound like a mess, LOL! 

Thank you for all your help and the kind greeting.  I felt horrible when I couldn't continue on here, but realize now the increase in my pain medications really messed up my system.  I started all natural as I was applying to grad school in Health Psychology when injured, but the pain was so severe I couldn't take it anymore.  Oh, and I have hydroponic Earth Tainers (self-made watering containers, do a search as they're not hard to build for those who want to grow their own) for my tomatoes and herbs.  Time to add a new one? :)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12