Advertise
With Us 
ChronicPainSite.com Foundation, Inc Personal Homepage
Please, if you have not Donated lately we need your help.
Click here to find out how YOU can help
  Advertise
With Us 

FAQ FAQ   Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New FP Group.. LIFE WITH CHRONIC PAIN
How you can get more control of your health and life.
Click Here
To Our FB page      

Login
Register
---------
ChronicPainSite.com Foundation, Inc
RULES
Navigation
Main Page
Forum Home
About Us
Site Information
Our Advisors
Articles Home
Faces of Pain
Recipe Section
No Pain Pain Scale No Pain

FAQ
Member Control Panel
Login
Register
Walking Conversion Chart

DC's Stories

CP Man Stories

Donate

Medical Marijuana-US

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
EJM3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Medical Marijuana-US
    Posted: Nov/27/2015 at 2:52am
OK, well, for lack of a better place at the start, I think that at least for now this will be a good topic aegis for discussing: Management & Control of Pain Symptoms & Causes utilizing Medical MariJuana (MMJ).  Or something like that...

For starters lets start with this:  I never started using marijuana for medical purposes until 2011, even then I was skeptical, after all I had been smoking it on & off for a couple decades (AFTER I graduated school, Thank You Very Much!!!).  But had never done so with the intent of my many symptoms being treated by it, so off I went to get my first of many (four so far) MMJ recommendations.

During that time I have bought from several sources (all of whom I know & trust!), the local dispensary just outside city limits being run by a friend of a friend, who has become a friend over time.  All the way to a friend who is family that grows to supply raw buds as well as homemade candies & oils to multiple dispensaries.  During the four years I have grown several types of plants, as well as helped others to learn & grow their own, including the friend who is family lady.

So I know not only the buying & using of the products in question, but the manufacture & sales side from friends in the biz.  That is not to say that I am omniscient, omnipotent & omnipresent, only that I have been lucky enough to have friends & family in the biz & have learned a few things over the years.

So if this is gonna be a Q&A session then we better get some Q's going!  Lots of A's, but need to get those Q's spit out!!  Stevie probably has a few guidelines she'd like us to stick to, something like this:

1) Keep it Legal.
2) Keep it polite.
3) Feel free to ask any question, the only stupid one is the one that is unasked.
4) This is a discussion topic/forum only about LEGAL Medical Marijuana.
5) This is NOT about getting high, this is for legitimate discussion about uses, methods of use, etc.
6) Humor & Wit are not allowed, they are required!

That seems like a good start, I hate to have too many restrictions at the outset, it stymies conversation, free exchange & flow of ideas & concepts, only if there are problems should that list need to be expanded I think...

So who's up for the first question(s)??  Doesn't matter what, I'm hard to embarrass, even harder to keep quiet when I sense a "teachable moment".
HIV+ since 1995, HIV causing neuropathy in feet, lower leg & thighs, meds also caused some of the nerve damage over the years. Depopulation of immune cells in the gut causing Nausea, Vomiting, Diarrhea, Anorexia (NOT nervosa!) & a few others. Significant central and foraminal stenosis at C5-6, Bilateral multi level foraminal stenosis due to short pedicles and uncovertebral hypertrophy, mild to moderate multi-level central stenosis. ACDF at C5-C6 w/hardware Aug 2012, C4-5 and C6-7 are starting to fail. Permanent nerve damage (pain, not motor) from before ACDF. TOS/NTOS for over 30 years. Polyarthralgia Dx Dec 2014. FRRS Surgery 11-19-15 to correct TOS/NTOS. 10-18-16 New MRI for possible ASD of C4-C5 & C6-C7...
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2015 at 10:37am
Great first post on a very important subject.  Your list of R&R's are excellent and in keeping with the way we run everything on this website.  I've taken the liberty of bolding them.

It's my hope to start a separate forum for this subject with your thread leading the discussion of Medical Marijuana in the States and then in the near future hopefully other members from Canada starting a thread.  While there will be some overlap, it will help everyone. 

I don't know if you have a better link to State information, but I have one that I'll put up here so people in the States have some idea of which of the 32 current States do have legal status and what the regulations are.  http://medicalmarijuana.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=000881

Thank you again and I look forward to hearing from others also.

Please donate to help Chronicpainsite.com continue to help others.

My journey with chronic pain began over 30 years ago, while as a young nurse working spinal rehab, I injured my back lifting a patient. I am now fused from L2-S1. I have multiple thoracic and cervical issues. I'm a retired RN/PA and I know and understand the frustrations on both ends of the treatment spectrum of dealing with CP. It's been my goal since 2008, when we started this site, to reach out and help as many people in pain as possible. We will continue the fight as long as we can. Please, if you can help us continue to help you and others, donate. Thank you.
EJM3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2015 at 9:51am
That is a much more complete & thorough list & description for MMJ than I had, but my info has been specific to Washington state, with some national coverage, your's is much better Stevie!  Not only tells you the stat, but also major information about the laws in a succinct few paragraphs;with additional links & info available.

I like how for WA state they put this little ditty at the bottom in there: "Patients will be allowed to purchase medical-grade products at some stores that sell legal recreational marijuana."

relevant wording is "at some stores that sell legal recreational marijuana"

Talked to the local dispensary owner yesterday & dispensaries are being closed, mostly for non-compliance, with I-502's popping up in a few places.  As for the "medical grade" "at some stores" "may be available", If the medical grade is clean, pure & pristine, what does that make the regular stuff??

This being an new market with unlimited product possibilities, a lot of new information is coming out all the time, I think that this forum will go a long way to helping people navigate the laws in their home state.

Now speaking of methods of use, you can: vape & dab extraxts,  vape bud, smoke a pipe, a bong or a hookah, eat it, drink it (ginger beer!), smear it on & even a suppository I believe.  Forms of it can be so diverse, walking into a dispensary you can get overwhelmed by all of the different types, packaging, uses, etc. 

Before you can even get to the point of crossing the threshold, you need a slip of paper from a doc that thinks you need to access said store.  Those can be as easy as seeing an "authorizing agent", anywhere from MD to ARNP to ND to whomever your state decides, then paying them a fee, rarely one is also your regular doctor in Washington.  Other times to having to go to a regular doctor for the requisite papers to be filed, that way you get a state medical ID card. 

That can then get you access to a store or even a vending machine in some cases & states.  Uh, yes, I did just say a pot cookie & brownie dispensing vending machine, with lots of other pot goodies to boot.  There I go hijacking my thread, Hi Ho Silver, back to the topic!!!

But before that you have to have a qualifying medical condition, some like HIV, anorexia, cachexia, nausea, etc, etc are pretty clear.  Others like Chronic Pain Syndrome can be something like getting smashed up in a car accident & in constant pain, to young 18 to 20 somethings that get one for the "Back in High School I sprained my {insert body part} & it still hurts so much I can't work", but you see them out climbing rocks a few hours later (I once did anyway).  All I'm saying is depending on who you go to it can be extremely easy to get one, my doc actually said "any one of those five (now at least six) would have done it".
HIV+ since 1995, HIV causing neuropathy in feet, lower leg & thighs, meds also caused some of the nerve damage over the years. Depopulation of immune cells in the gut causing Nausea, Vomiting, Diarrhea, Anorexia (NOT nervosa!) & a few others. Significant central and foraminal stenosis at C5-6, Bilateral multi level foraminal stenosis due to short pedicles and uncovertebral hypertrophy, mild to moderate multi-level central stenosis. ACDF at C5-C6 w/hardware Aug 2012, C4-5 and C6-7 are starting to fail. Permanent nerve damage (pain, not motor) from before ACDF. TOS/NTOS for over 30 years. Polyarthralgia Dx Dec 2014. FRRS Surgery 11-19-15 to correct TOS/NTOS. 10-18-16 New MRI for possible ASD of C4-C5 & C6-C7...
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2015 at 10:28am
Ed,

I have been using that site for reference for a few years-----back when there were about 14 States with laws in place. I just sent them a donation as they are non-profit like us and we all struggle to keep running.

So---questions---do you know how to go about making a pain cream from the plant itself? Or do you need to have it in some sort of oil base first?

How does a person know what is safe to eat or drink ? I remember a reporter not too long ago getting herself into real trouble eating too many brownies too quickly.

What do you know about travel restrictions even if you have the license on your person?

I hope others will ask questions who are considering or do use MJ for CP to help others.

My journey with chronic pain began over 30 years ago, while as a young nurse working spinal rehab, I injured my back lifting a patient. I am now fused from L2-S1. I have multiple thoracic and cervical issues. I'm a retired RN/PA and I know and understand the frustrations on both ends of the treatment spectrum of dealing with CP. It's been my goal since 2008, when we started this site, to reach out and help as many people in pain as possible. We will continue the fight as long as we can. Please, if you can help us continue to help you and others, donate. Thank you.
MedMJ-UserCanada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MedMJ-UserCanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2015 at 2:11pm
Hi, thanks for talking about using marijuana for medical purposes.

Most recipes for pain relieving creams that I've seen, infuse the medicine into an oil first. Coconut is one of the most common. Some also use an alcohol based tincture and add that to different cream or lotions.

Starting low and titrating up carefully is important. Overdosing doesn't have the fatal effects of opioids but it can be very uncomfortable for someone unused to MMJ.

In Canada, if you have a medical authorization, travel isn't a problem. In fact some air carriers will make accommodations to allow medical users a place to medicate while at the airport, using a vaporiser.

However, my license clearly states that it's only valid in Canada and doesn't protect me if take it anywhere MMJ isn't legal. 

Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2015 at 2:36pm
Hi Med MJ-----

Thank you for responding.  If you have time, it would be great to have a separate thread about some of the laws, rules and regulations for Canadian Members----ie, is MJ legal in all Provences, etc.  Do different Provences have different regulations, and how do people who want a license go about getting one?

So, in order to make a compounded pain cream,  do you have to purchase the oil already made up, or can you make it yourself from the plant itself?  Sorry for a dumb question, but I yet to get my license and am learning.

Does anyone know what the rules would be for traveling back and forth to Canada from the US with a license and going/coming from a State in the US where MJ is legal and you have a license?  For instance, it's perfectly legal to travel from the States to Canada with controlled substances, but they must be in the original bottle with the person's name and pharmacy and instructions, etc on it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MedMJ-UserCanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2015 at 5:26pm
Hi Stevie,

Thanks for suggesting and encouraging this Forum. I'll start a Canadian edition.

There's lots of different ways to make medicated balms, creams, salves, etc. Please don't ask me to explain the difference lol.

As Ed said, no dumb questions. You can add a concentrated mj oil to a base cream. Or you can start with some dried mj and make either your own oil to add to other products, or you can directly infuse something like olive or coconut oil with dried mj and add a few ingredients to that base to make your own pain cream.

Depends where you live and what's available and legal.

I think Moving MMJ between Canada and any US state Is problematic because it's not legal federally and you're crossing a federal border. Maybe Ed knows.
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2015 at 7:48pm
Thank you Med.

Is there a ratio for how much MJ to how much oil or cream? If using from dried state.

I hadn't thought about the federal legality moving MMJ between countries. The Federal border issue is huge. I do know that while States have made it legal, Federal laws aren't in place and maybe Ed knows more about this. Thanks!!

EJM3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2015 at 7:58pm
The most common method for compounding a cream/lotion/salve/etc is to make an extract of the plant using a solvent, usually 190 proof (95%) vodka.  That is then boiled off outdoors very carefully, the resultant sludge is commonly known as "Rick Simpson Oil" or "RSO".  That is then infused into various products, it's even taken internally (eaten) in large quantities for cancers, with a huge success rate.  Then there are sub & super critical CO2 extraction methods, there is the bubble hash, kief hash, another dozen & more.  All of them creating different products, all of them way more potent than the stuff form the 60's.

Anyone using any of these products for the first time, especially the "medibles" should use extreme restraint the first few times.  There are some people that will not feel much of anything the first couple times, the body is just creating receptors.  That way the next time you try a large dose you get supper whacked out, then never want to touch it again.  Medibles can be deceptive, that can take from 1 to 4 hours to kick in, if you then take a much larger dose in the interim you just add another mega dose of rocket fuel to your rides launch; that then extends it as well.  You can also apply it directly to your skin to get rid of skin cancers, I have watched my friend get rid of skin cancer under her eyes permanently doing that.

In the states you cannot take any MJ with you if you leave the state, they consider that "trafficking" IIRC.  I can take in anywhere in my own state, but cannot use it anyplace other than at home.  Although when camping in WA I usually take a small supply with me, I just do it in the privacy of my "home" our camper van (his name is Mozey), very discreetly at that.
Travel between countries with MJ is very much NOT ALLOWED, there is no agreement between the USA & Canada for anything of the sort; you will most likely be arrested for drug trafficking & more if they find it.  It is for consumption within the boundaries of your state/country ONLY, Medical or Recreational does not matter...
Merlin View Drop Down
Prior Member
Prior Member
I Donated to CPS 2013-2016

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2015 at 8:02pm
Okay - what might be a stupid question coming up

I have heard about MMJ Cream and thought that must be like something you would rub on the sore part to have the effects through the skin - like Vicks Vapour Rub

But is it the fact - and this might have already been answered - that this cream can be used in a vaporiser or a puffer like an asthma spray.

I don't know much at all about the use of MMJ - I have heard that it helps with some medical problems that nothing else works for 
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2015 at 8:58pm
Ed----

Thank you for telling me something I should have known. Seems so weird we can take our meds with us between Countries, but not MMJ. Anyhow--- we all know now. Leave it in the State you live and have license for.

I'm assuming that these cream compounds can be bought in a legal store if you don't feel up to making them? I'd love to try it on sun damaged skin.

Something I've heard is that people who are naive to using today's much stronger MJ don't really understand how to use it and in what amounts, and that the stores often aren't giving a lot of information on how to inhale it, use it as a cream or ingest it. So we can possibly help with that and from my perspective it would seem that this drug is no different than most----use the smallest amount possible to gain the best benefits in order to live the best quality of life possible.

Oh----and what can you say about benefits of using a vaporizer over smoking it and is it safer for the lungs?

Rocken Roni View Drop Down
Charter - Member
Charter - Member
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocken Roni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2015 at 10:50pm
A vaporizer takes the harshness away and you don't get the cough you would get just from smoking it. If you get the right vaporizer where price is related to vapor quality, which can be expensive,,,,, the better the vaporizer the smoother the inhale is. 100% better than smoking it. I THINK, it is easier on the lungs using the vaporizer than inhaling harsh smoke into the lungs.

Until one has felt the Love of an animal,
a part of their Soul remains Unawakened.

Unknown

1st injured Feb, 1997. Was told it was "Soft Tissue" and sent back to work - no X-rays
Late 1997 attended 1st Rehab Program to strengthen back. Mid 98 PCP took me off work. Tried going back to work over the next couple years, mostly off work due to pain.
June 2000, met with OS for first time. Did MRI , damage was L5-S1 totally blown out. Surgery done Jan, 2001.
Another Rehab program late 2001, attempted to go back to work early 2002. Slipped on water, fell flat on back screw fusion broke.
Went to 3rd Rehab program summer 2002.
Oct 2003 - 2nd Surgery, due to broken screw, had to operate from the front.
No improvement. Attended 4th Rehab program in 2004, at time It was decided NO work.
March 2006, had 3rd Surgery, this time fusion and instrumentation from Si to L3.
June 2008 Surgeon finally admitted I had Failed Back Surgery.
August 2009 WCB Finally put me on Long Term Disability

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MedMJ-UserCanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2015 at 7:31am
Hi Merlin,

There are so many products being made from mmj, it's confusing to most people. Including me.

You're describing a couple of different products. You can make a topical pain relieving cream. This would be some sort of cold cream base or one of countless different natural oil bases. The medicinal properties are extracted and then infused into the base cream. This is rubbed on the affected area the same as you would a Vicks rub. But in my mind it's more like a Voltaren, it's absorbed and reduces pain and many say inflammation.

Something that would be used in a vaporiser, think more along the lines of an e-cig not a humidifier type vaporiser, is either dried mmj or  a liquid that contains the extracted medical properties. Most are alcohol or some sort of glycerine.

You can find all sorts of topical products in a legal dispensary and for most people, this is the easiest and most practical way to obtain a pain cream made with mmj.
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2015 at 8:08am
Thank you all for the input. I'm going to attempt to get my license within the next couple of weeks. I would really like to have access to pain relieving creams. And buying it already made seems to make a lot more sense than trying to make it ------ at least for a "newbie".

Now I need to figure out if my Dr can give me the appropriate paper work or if the MMJ dispensary has an MD on premises who writes the license for a fee. I know it's done that way in some places but I'm wondering what medical reports or records are needed? Guess I need to make some calls.

EJM3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2015 at 2:43am
Yes!  The creams, lotions, other topical ointments & unguents are already compounded with a specific amount of the active component.  These are usually listed as high THC &/or high CBD, with our without listing terpenes as a constituent.  Sound confusing??  Lets break that down a bit for people new to MMJ:

High THC: This can be up to 75% or 80% sometimes, depending on the source.  Most times it will be the 20% to 50%, at least here locally.

High CBD:  This is oft times much more important than the THC content when looking for therapeutic value, you do want some THC as it is a complementary molecule that works synergistically.  Err, lets work on that!  You want a bit of both so that they can work better together than if you have purely one or the other, there!

Then there are the various methods out there for using various products & extracts, here's a small overview, strictly vape products first...

You can get a vape just for bud that costs anywhere from $30 (not recommended!) to the high end near $250, or more, for a fancy one.  Somewhere in the middle is about right, but it depends on what, when & where you want/need to vape.  Some are so stealth that you can't tell them from the regular e-cigs out there now, others are a table top affair that you keep turned on for a moments notice; they can take up to 15 minutes to fully heat if not kept on 24/7.

We've got:
An e-cig configuration
A larger mini-brick (larger battery capacity)
Various e-pipes/vapes
Various butane pipes/vapes
Various regular pipes
Various bongs & dabbers
Tabletop models

For the most part, there are even more kids of pipes for regular smoking; lets limit ourselves to those above.

Questions on models & methods?  I know some, used a few, have others I hand crafted.
Bailey View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2015 at 3:35pm
Hi Ed,

What products and method of use do you find most helpful? And for what symptoms, pain,spasm nausea?
DDD C3-C6 with multiple osteophytes causing both moderate foraminal and canal stenosis and flattening and impinging on the spinal cord
Cervical Facet arthritis
Chronic Pain Syndrome
LeeFromIndiana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeeFromIndiana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2015 at 4:27pm
Stevie, 
I hope it works for you.  Let us know. I'd be interested, although I can't do it here in IN. Out of the question. 
Tim

Originally posted by Stevie Stevie wrote:

Thank you all for the input. I'm going to attempt to get my license within the next couple of weeks. I would really like to have access to pain relieving creams. And buying it already made seems to make a lot more sense than trying to make it ------ at least for a "newbie".

Now I need to figure out if my Dr can give me the appropriate paper work or if the MMJ dispensary has an MD on premises who writes the license for a fee. I know it's done that way in some places but I'm wondering what medical reports or records are needed? Guess I need to make some calls.
DX'd with CFS/ME back in 2000, High BP, Nerve Pain. Gall bladder removal and further surgery because of bleeding back in the late 90's.
Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others have labored hard for.
Nature has given us two ears, two eyes, and but one tongue-to the end that we should hear and see more than we speak.
Socrates
Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.
Epicurus.
EJM3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote EJM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2015 at 11:03pm
I just got back from the local dispensary & was gonna do a write up on ways that I used it, so I saw your question & just knew it was gonna be!

Reasons I use:
Anorexia, not nervosa! I just have a complete lack of anything resembling an appetite.  In fact food offered to me first thing in the morning, or even smelt, will set off the next symptom.  I use it for pernicious nausea & vomiting, hard to work up an appetite when that's going on.  Then there are the various things clustered under the heading of chronic pain syndrome in general & intractable pain from nerve damage, with neuropathy in my thighs & feet specifically.  Last but not least is my least favorite, HIV, it can cause havoc in more than just your immune system.  In me it has apparently depopulated the immune cells from my "gut" (mouth to the other end), like so many others with HIV, causing a lot of my gastrointestinal problems.  Then there are the 13 or 14 meds I'm currently on.

Symptoms it treats for me:
When the nausea starts up in the morning, like every other morning for decades, I start with a Zofran.  When that fails, 9 out of 10 times, I use a fast acting vaporizer pen (5 inch long (13 cm) black cylinder) with an attachment preloaded with cannabis extract.  Although I just bought a new kind that is really slick, it's a cigarette sized black cylinder that all you do is puff, hold, exhale.  Preloaded with cannabis extract, precharged battery, just put it in your mouth, inhale like President Obama, hold as long as you can (at least 6 or 10 seconds is best), then exhale.  One of the most slick ones I have used to date, I plan to keep it next to me for the morning times; I use other products for other things.

Like high CBD Rick Simpson Oil made from this plant, I think hers tested in at 5% THC  & 14% CBD.  I received it from my friend who grew the plant, harvested, then processed into RSO for people like me.  So I am VERY aware of where my products come from, lucky me she is there to do the hard part.  Incidentally, we also purchased some pork form her, she raised them purely on organic feed & trimmings from the plants.  Amazing stuff!!! The bacon is to die for!  Her name was Hillary.  But I digress...  I usually eat a small amount of the RSO from the syringe, right on my tongue then swallow it, that way it can last me 6, 8 or more hours.

Then there are times where I do smoke the whole plant material, it does make my chest feel thick for an hour or so.  Not worrisome enough to grab an inhaler, but weirdly enough, it can act as an anti-spasmodic & anti-inflammatory for respiratory problems in some people.   I get WAY more problems when the fires are raging & the sun is a blood red smear through the dense smoke.  Makes LA look habitable at that point.  I have tried various vaporizers to try and smoke the buds, but I just cannot seem to find just the right one for me, yet.

I have also tried various rubs, lotions, goops & unguents, to no real effect where I used it on myself.

The trouble with all of this is finding one or more modes of delivery of a product that is helpful to YOU, what works on me for pain may not work for you.  Same for nausea, hunger, etc...  Just like regular prescriptions you have to figure out what kind & how much work, without turning you into a zombie or causing even more problems.  Some people cannot tolerate MMJ in any way, just like regular prescription meds.

Now if you want to start getting into the types of plants, extracts, etc (which I will next time, in just a little bit), then that'll be another whole message, at least...

Hope that helps & answers your questions.
bigcat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/02/2015 at 3:39am
Now that it is legal in washington st, i use it to help my appetite, i am not on a pain contract anymore,so i am for it, i did vote yes on it. My only question is, if a person is on a pain contract could they be denied pain meds if they tested positive for it?
Moderate disc protrusion at L-5 S-1 midly indenting the vertral surface of the thecal sac andcontacting both S1 nerves , meds Vicadin 10mg    neurotin 1200mg ..robaxin 7.5mg ,nortriplyne 100mg ....
Bailey View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/02/2015 at 3:43am
YES
DDD C3-C6 with multiple osteophytes causing both moderate foraminal and canal stenosis and flattening and impinging on the spinal cord
Cervical Facet arthritis
Chronic Pain Syndrome
Bailey View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/02/2015 at 3:44am
YES, or at least confirm with the dr before signing the contract. Getting dropped by a pain doctor and labelled as breaking a pain contract, leaves you with huge problems trying to get treatment.

It doesn't really matter if it's a misunderstanding or not, it will/would be a huge hassle trying to prove you did nothing wrong.
Cervical Facet arthritis
Chronic Pain Syndrome
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/02/2015 at 10:34am
Bailey is absolutely correct, Cory and for anyone using MMJ (or recreational in the States where it was voted on).  It depends entirely upon your contract and what it says.  Some contracts forbid anything other than what is written in it-----even a trip to the ER needs to be reported. So, clear using MMJ or any other drug prior to using it or you can find yourself without a PM Dr.

Ed----thank you for your ongoing help and information in this thread.  It will be used in the future as reference, and for all of those people who come here to read.  I find it amazing how well this works for nausea over Zofran which is just about the "gold standard" for the nausea during Chemo.  I understand how many medications are needed to treat HIV and the damage between the drugs and the disease.

There are many ways to use this plant, and it's good to know which options are available and how to use them properly.  Thumbs Up 

EJM3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/02/2015 at 1:12pm
While discussing with your PCP the fact that using marijuana helps your appetite, pain, nausea, etc, can be beneficial, significant problems can arise if both of you do not agree that MMJ is a substance that you should use.  Some doctors do not think it is beneficial & are rabidly against it's use whether or not you get an authorization for MMJ or even use it recreationally (RMJ), there have been plenty of cases where doctors drop a patient for using MJ for ANY reason.  Testing positive for it can definitely impact your case, even if it's just for recreational purposes.  Most doctors agree that it is less harmful than alcohol or tobacco, but they can still refuse to treat you on that basis.  They usually then title you under "drug addict", "drug seeker" or any dozen or so other labels that get attached to your files.  Other times the doctors have no problems with it at all, others don't like you doing it any more than drinking alcohol or using tobacco products.  I'm lucky that most of my docs seem to think that it's benefits outweigh any potential problems in my case...

The two PM docs I have seen said "it interferes with pain medications", I asked them what medications & am I on them; response from the PM's were "Pain Meds" & "a few anesthetics". Meaning that anything & everything that is used to control pain narcotically cannot be used concurrently with MMJ according to them, BUT, they cannot or will not tell me how, why, or what meds specifically.  Only my two PM docs I have seen so far having told me this, it just sounds kinda fishy!  Especially when a doc, a PM at that, cannot tell you the how, why, or what of something as simple as a chemical reaction with the chemicals that they deal with EVERY day!  May just be my experiences though, I've only seen 2 PM docs & been using MMJ on a daily basis for 4 years.  My PCP (seen him for almost 6 years) has never said that to me, nor a majority of my doctors under about 45 years of age.  The stodgy 60 & 70 somethings docs I have come into contact with on the other hand have been right there with my PM doc encounters.  I tend to sound out any new doctor that I have on their opinions about MJ in general & MMJ specifically, that way I don't have problems with them down the road, especially after my first appointment with a PM doc going so badly (5 minute lecture taken straight from Refer Madness)

I'm guess that I must be super lucky in that my primary care is the one that I have the contract with, not a PM doc.  You don't even see a PM doc anymore most times, you see them ONCE, then they tell your doctor what to prescribe.  That's it, one time with the PM, then it's all paperwork back & forth between him & your primary doc, unless there are "gross changes".  My PCP  sees no problem with me using MMJ, other than some breathing issues.  I keep those under tight control by vaping & eating as much as I can instead of smoking whole bud, as well as using my inhalers daily whether or not I feel the need.

These are my experiences with my cadre of doctors & my medical issues.

EJM3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/02/2015 at 1:40pm
Glad to help Stevie, this is one subject I know a bit of that could help others.  I think that MedMJ from Canada is doing a great little write up on the Canadian system, it's interesting to read about the differences...

Yeah, besides the Zofran (either tablet or ODT) I also have phenergan suppositories (for when my vomiting becomes "quite refractory" as one doctor pithily stated), plus I have used over half a dozen others, one making it worse.  MMJ beats them all, it can shutdown my nausea signals faster, better & longer than the standard meds.  There is also the plus side of inducing the munchies, it actually activates the "starvation" mechanism in the brain; I can tell you that for someone with anorexia that is a blessing! 

I'm 6' tall now (used to be 6' 1"), with a weight that has bounced between an all time low of ~120, to a moderate 150 on the scales at home right now, with a 160 being about ideal.  The weight at the doctors is always skewed, this last time I weighed 13 pounds more at the doctors office than at home!  But right before the cold snap I only weighed 6 pounds more, a change of footwear (snow boots) & adding a few extra layers (that you cannot take off there at the docs office, unless you wanna get arrested) added 7 more pounds to my weight overnight; over doubling my clothings weight in a few hours, you need that up North (Leavenworth Washington)!!!  I have even tried the evil known as Marinol (synthetic THC in pure form in a pill form), that gave me The Terrors.  Not just nightmares & night terrors, the wide awake in broad daylight psychological breakdown kind of Day Terrors.  Never again, quoth the raven...
Charter - Member
Charter - Member
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocken Roni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/02/2015 at 4:46pm
I've asked my GP about getting MMJ but he won't discuss it. He says it's one or the other and if I take MMJ I need to see another GP as there is not enough tests done on it to see how it effects the body on the long run, and he also won't discuss herbs as he says there is not enough tests done on them to see how they interact with medications etc.
I know it helps with my pain a great deal but I live in a small town and it's not that easy to get another GP. So for now I'm just hanging in there.
Just needed to get this off my chest.
Roni 

Unknown

1st injured Feb, 1997. Was told it was "Soft Tissue" and sent back to work - no X-rays
Late 1997 attended 1st Rehab Program to strengthen back. Mid 98 PCP took me off work. Tried going back to work over the next couple years, mostly off work due to pain.
June 2000, met with OS for first time. Did MRI , damage was L5-S1 totally blown out. Surgery done Jan, 2001.
Another Rehab program late 2001, attempted to go back to work early 2002. Slipped on water, fell flat on back screw fusion broke.
No improvement. Attended 4th Rehab program in 2004, at time It was decided NO work.
March 2006, had 3rd Surgery, this time fusion and instrumentation from Si to L3.
EJM3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/02/2015 at 5:27pm
Sorry to hear that Roni, I've had a doc in the last year or so blast me for 5 minutes about all the horrors of MJ.  Then, no offense here, small town mentality can be a pain:

Our local dispensary owner opened shop, super discretely, but with full knowledge by the city council.  They held a couple of meetings that ended up ousting her from the city limits; they then lost all the tax revenue she was sending them each month as a consequence.  So she moved to an area ~40 yards outside city limits & set up shop in a building a friend of hers owned.  Then some {insert expletives} working at the bank said her money smelled like pot, then used that & the fact that she did almost nothing but cash transactions to forcibly close not only her business accounts, but her personal accounts that she has had with them for just under 20 years; since she was old enough to open her first account, it was her first account.

Then there are other blatant examples of small minds, that are not limited to small towns, etc.  Lots of people in big cities are just as rabid sometimes, just try putting that you smoke dope on a job resume or apartment application & see what happens. Two little quotes I've liked are: "If ignorance is bliss, you should be in Nirvana!" & "Ignorance can be cured, stupid is forever".
Charter - Member
Charter - Member
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocken Roni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/02/2015 at 6:20pm
Wow, I had no idea that stuff like this went on. That poor woman. What a crock.

You are so full of knowledge EJM3 keep it coming, were listening.

Unknown

EJM3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/02/2015 at 7:56pm
I've been blessed to know not one, but two people on the medical side of the MJ market.  The RMJ side I'm indifferent to, voted for it (regretting it now they are dismantling medical here), there have been horror stories.  At least one place was using a chemical that destroyed fungal DNA, but left the fungal toxins behind; So you test for growth of fungi, get nothing, give it a clean bill of health.  Not sure how much was made of it, because now they now test for the toxin & chemicals used, "when suspicious" I think was the wording...

Plus that huge scandal in Colorado where there was at least one grower caught using banned pesticides, not sure if that was MMJ, RMJ or both.

Tomorrow I'll do a little about the plants themselves, next a bit on the different types of extracts
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/02/2015 at 8:58pm
So there won't be controls in place now for MMJ in Washington from or Colorado? Everyone gets the same thing? It had been my hope that MMJ was somehow safer than stuff on the streets. Or for recreational purposes. Depending upon the State, it seems to me to be safer to grow your own, although that's a huge undertaking from what I understand.

I'm going to be traveling for a few weeks, but will be on the site when possible and will continue to read both this thread and MJ-Canada's as well. Thanks to both of you for educating us. If Dr's would become more involved ( and with the population voting for its use now some of the stigma is going away) we could learn to use it effectively with more educational knowledge. I do know that prior to my last fusion, my Sugeons PA asked me if I used it ----he said it was very effective in treating spinal pain issues. And, I've not had anything pass by me about interactions with other drugs. If anyone knows specifics about this please do speak up.

EJM3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2015 at 3:45am
Never really have been controls , it's all been voluntary for the most part, only when they think something is hinky do they actually do something, now.  It's all been the system policing itself up till this point, those found wanting were/are rapidly squeezed out by the flow of money going to superior products elsewhere. 

The title is kinda misleading, "Cannabis Patient Protection Act" etc, etc.  Mostly it's about bringing all of the TAX money in to the state, with 37% NEW taxes June or July next year (2016), driving prices way up.  With almost all of the old trusted producers being put out of business due to all kinds of new laws, rules, regs, restrictions, taxes, etc, etc.  New "state sanctioned & monitored", taxed & profitable to the state growers with a proven track record of minor to massive health risks for medical patients, if not the general public as well now.

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of good growers, etc.  It's just that a lot of the honest small guys are gonna be overwhelmed & taken out by larger businesses that have more profit on their minds than peoples health.  Even before I started going to the dispensary here, just outside of town, I was getting it from people I knew & trusted & they got it from the people that grew it, or grew it themselves.

I have also in the past grown my own, but found that trying to grow 3 little plants under the conditions I have gave me little more than 4 ounces of usable product for over 300 hours of work over a four month period, 2 hours a day, every day, for 4 months of growing, then 1 more for curing.  That does NOT include supplies, lights, nutrients, etc.  If you smoke it that can last you 2 months roughly, if you make medibles/extracts you have enough for 1 batch of the base, or 2 to 4 WEEKS of products.

Now if you take all of that time effort & other fussiness it takes to grow a plant from seed to you ingesting it, then I could have saved up 300 x $10/hour or $3000 worth of my time in those 4 months.  I would then have to do this each time I want my own home grown medicine.  Now if say a friend that does not live next to the local Middle & High schools (soon to be K-12), or if I weren't anyway, then one could plant one of those plants in the ground.  The same 3 plants I eked 4 ounces out of, when planted in the ground & properly taken care of (at 1 or 2 hours every 3rd or 4th day, vs 2 hours every day), each one of those plants could produce 3 to 4 pounds.  From 4 ounces off of 3 plants to 48 to 64 ounces from EACH of them.  But a 15 foot tall Christmas tree in our backyard that smelled like we ran over a skunk then rolled the tree in it on the way home to put it up, in July, would be a little suspicious to say the least...
EJM3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2015 at 6:27pm
OK, up next on the chopping block are the types of plants that are grown.  There are three types of marijuana plants that are grown, but only two of them are used for medical & recreational MJ.  The last one is more of a curiosity than a real mover & shaker like the first two, it's called Cannabis Ruderalis.  It grows to a height of about 2 feet tall, producing just a small amount of usable product.  The main two, Indica & Sativa are where we will concentrate today:

First off is the Indica strain that comes from an area near India, Iran, Iraq, Pakistan & into the the Indochina regions.  It is known as a lower growing plant with a specific effect known scientifically as "couch lock" when partaken of.  Basically it has a large effect on most people that makes them feel like they cannot get up to do anything, along with that is usually a relief of pain, increase in appetite & some silliness.

Then there is the Sativa strain that is well know for it's mental high, very little body effects usually & one that tends to energize people instead of couch locking them.  This could be a good one for things like depression, anxiety & others, again mostly mental in nature....

Then there are the hybrids of the two with one or the other being a dominant strain usually, there is also at least one variety that has almost no THC (the psychoactive component), it's under 0.3%.  That is coupled with an extremely high CBD percentage of 20%, which is the medicinal component for things like seizures & neuropathy plus so many more. 

Since it was developed for a child with severe epilepsy they had to reduce the THC to negligible amounts, what they are finding out now is that to be even more effective you need a small amount of THC.  They have plants that are what they call a 7/7 (said: seven seven), that's 7% each of THC & CBD.  Or like the one that I use called Harlequin (here's a web page about it), that comes in about a 5:2 ratio of CBD to THC.  I got it from a friend that grew it organically outdoors,  I even got to see it in the ground (amongst her 22 others).  It tested in at about 14% CBD to 5% THC, it definitely helps my neuropathies & other pains.  So much so that I'm going to ask her to plant one for me next year; that way I can have an ample supply of it for an entire year, all off of one plant.  But I digress...

Next time I'll do a little write up on how the plants are grown, then the next will be on the forms that the two plants (Indica & Sativa) can take after harvesting & processing.
EJM3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2015 at 10:54pm
Just came across this while doing some additional research, this is a documentary about Dr. Raphael Mechoulam; the guy who discovered THC & CBD:

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/scientist/
rdoug View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2016

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2016 at 7:02pm
Hello Stevie, I have just joined the site and I really appreciate your link to states MMJ rules etc. I've had a couple failed back surgeries over the years and have been prescribed more pain meds than I care to remember. These days my tolerances are so high  nothing seems to help much. I even have an electronic stimulation implant that doesn't give me much relief. I never liked smoking pot, it just didn't agree with me, but the more research I've done lately it seems like it might be worth a shot. Especially since it appears they've come out with so many different "strains" nowadays where you don't have as much psychotropic effect as they do a pain relief/anti-depressant effect. I live in CT and my pain management Dr. suggested I should think about it, but he couldn't write a script. So at this point I guess I'm left with finding an "approved" Doctor.

All things will pass
EJM3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2016 at 1:52pm
There are strains that have less than 0.5% THC that will have nearly zero psychoactive activity  to it, just be sure that you get one that has a high CBD value.  The CBD is where MOST, but not all, of the benefits for pain management come from.  They are finding out that if you have a few percent of THC it makes it all more effective, so they now have strains with THC/CBD ratios of 1:1, 1:2, 1:3, etc.  Be aware that even pure CBD can make some people very loopy, because like any other pain medication, this is a SERIOUS drug that has a range of affects & effects on different people.

I am unfamiliar with CT laws, but assuming that we have more similarities than not: I have to go to a "Pot Doc" to get my authorization, every year I have to renew it.  My regular doctors will not touch MMJ, some have no problems, some are for it, the one that did I have problems with I no longer go to.  So finding a doc is the first step, then you have to find a reputable supply, then you have to find the type & dose that works for you.  I'm lucky that I've got friends & family involved so can have confidence in their products.

As for the right type & dose, that is all dependent on your situation & tolerance.  From the sounds of it the 1:3 THC:CBD, or even something like Charlotte's Web with 0% THC (it was bred for a little girl with seizures).

Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2016 at 11:54am
Hi rdoug and thank you Ed for the ongoing information.

Doug---I had to go to a licensed MJ Dr to apply for my license this week. There are just a handful of them in my city but it only took a day to get an appointment. Now, I'm waiting for my card to come in the mail which could be 2-3 weeks. I'm sick of ongoing side effects from medications and the now ongoing war on opioids.

The MJ Dr did tell me that I should stick to the Indica strain at night due to insomnia issues, and the Stavia strain during the day. Ed, I have to go back and re-read what you've posted so I can learn from all you've shared here.

I'm wondering however, about the cost? I know it varies between States. Here, we are permitted 2.5 ounces every two weeks, which is quite a bit. However, I've heard that amount of high quality drug could run upwards of $1,000? That's prohibitive, although again----I seriously doubt I would ever use that amount unless I was making a lot of edibles, topicals and tinctures. I don't like smoking ( a vaporizer is OK). So, wondering if there is anyone reading this from AZ who knows?

rdoug View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2016

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2016 at 2:35pm
Hello Stevie, EJM, I want to thank you both SO much for your advice. The main reason I'm looking into MMJ is as you said Stevie, I'm tired of the side effects (constant battles with constipation, insomnia,etc.) and my pain dr. also has jumped on the "war on opioids" bandwagon with a passion. My last visit he cut my meds by a significant amount while telling me some story about some young girl that recently overdosed on heroin !! As bad as I might feel for this poor girl, it obviously has NOTHING to do with me or my situation. I am SO tired of my life and comfort level being controlled by someone who has probably never even experienced any real pain in his life. I apologize, I guess I'm venting a little. He wants me to get a "new and improved" nerve stimulator of which my co-pay would be 3-6 thousand dollars that I could never afford being on disability. I'm currently applying at a different pain clinic that has a very good reputation and I'm going to ask their views on the MMJ issue as it is something I definitely want to try. Hopefully they won't have any policies against it. I'd like to say Thanks again, you've both been an enormous help and I will keep following this thread to learn as much as I can from your extensive knowledge !!
All things will pass
blaze 57 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blaze 57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2016 at 3:12pm

I do you pot right before bed, I'm also a legal Washington state MMJ card holders and can grow up to 15 plants which I only grow 3 per yr (plenty).. It is absolutely the BEST solid 8 hrs of sleep WITHOUT that crappy-hangover effect I get associated with muscle relaxers. Two hits off the water pipe is all I use before bed. I should get a vaporizer though.

Ok I'm also on a pain contract for oxycodone and tramadol. I did have a pee test about 60 days ago. I took a risk and never put down I was using pot when I filled out the pain contract. To tell you the truth I now wonder if anything was asked about pot?...but anyway when I did the pee test they had a whole big checklist of various illegal and legal drugs on this form that was to be sent in with my urine sample....I watched them fill out the check boxes and they ONLY checked the box for opiates. They left the marijuana box unchecked. So it was NEVER checked.

If anyone is near me I would be glad to help---- Let me know via PM.
Compression fractures T5 and T6 and wedging. Diagnosed with partial Adult Scheuermann's disease. 2X Transformial 3-level Thoracic Epidural and one 3-level facet joints injections.
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2016 at 7:51am
rdoug,

I wouldn't hesitate to tell any PM that you either already use MMJ or are going to apply for a license, because you want the benefits of this in order to cut down on your current narcotics. Particularly in the light of today's atmosphere regarding opioids and the heroin addiction problem. I agree---while I feel for that small %who have become addicted to narcotics and have now moved to heroin, it's not the vast majority of people who need these medications in order to have any quality of life. My own Internist of 20 years is no longer accepting CP patients who are on opioids and most Dr's aren't. She and I had the conversation regarding my trying MMJ in order to cut down on the small amount of meds I do take. No problem at all.

Blaze, urine tests, as you've discovered, are meant to test only for the prescribed opioid in order to cover the prescriber. They need to be able to prove that their patients are taking the med and not selling it. But, honesty is always the best policy, and in the event they did decide to test for anything else it's better that they know straight up rather than losing that PM and frantically searching for someone else. I'm glad you are able to grow your own product. Not all States give that option. In AZ you can only grow if you live more than 25 miles from a dispensary and most people aren't that far away from one. I'm really hoping that the Indica strain will allow me to finally get a decent nights sleep. It's been a very long time.

Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2016 at 8:14am
EJM3 (or anyone very familiar with MMJ)-----

For those of us in the learning process who will make a first time trip to a dispensary, where do we begin in order to get the best product and spend the least amount of money until we know what works best for us?

I know I want a small amount of both Stavia and Indica. But, how much? I'm quite sure that I can't afford 2.5 ounces first trip there. I also need a vaporizer, and the pen type product you described, Ed, sounds great. Does it have a name?

Guess I'm looking for some very elementary guidelines here. My card should show up by the end of this week or next. Thanks

dbarbeau48 View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbarbeau48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2016 at 9:43am
In Massachusetts, medical MJ passed two years ago by the voters, and as of today I know of one place that is open but its a distance for me to travel. One dispensary was approved for my city but there has been so much BS about where to put it there is still no dispensary.
Like Doug, my pain meds have been drastically cut in the last two months. Diclofenac, Tramadol, and now my muscle relaxer Soma are all gone. My doctor and a gastro doctor I was seeing after my stomach rupture both felt I have been on them too long and may have contributed to my stomach problems. So I am left with Gabapentin and Oxycodone and I see my doctor on the 21st and I'll find out if anything else will be taken away or cut. So, I am very interested in the topic of medical MJ and would give it a try for sure.
Five knee surgeries from 1970 to 2000. Knee replacement in 2000.Spinal stenosis surgery in May of 2002. Diagnosed with Pseudogout in 2005, effecting hands, knees, and shoulders. Emergency surgery in March of 2006 for spinal infection of L 2 and L 3. During surgery, discovered I had Cauda Equina Syndrome. Spine became unstable after surgery and had 360 fusion with 10 pedicle screws, plates and rods in April of 2007. Retired early as a high school principal. Recently, have had trigger finger surgery on both hands as well as surgery for severe bi-lateral Carpal Tunnel disease.
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2016 at 2:52pm
Dick----

In AZ, the people passed the approval 3 times before the govt got around to finally opening the dispensaries. The political crap was crazy. But, it's finally all up and going. So hang on---MA will get there.

tkay View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2016 at 2:54pm
I know several people who use MMJ.
One of them uses an oil. The others who use MMJ I am not sure what method they use.

It sounds like that a person has to be off other medications in order to use it? Just wondering.

Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2016 at 3:12pm
No. A person can most definitely take their prescribed medications along with MMJ. The benefits of MMJ is that it can often alleviate the side effects of some meds such as nausea. And, in my case, and the feelings of many, it can be a way to cut down on medications taken that are losing effectiveness, or are no longer being prescribed.

Bailey View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2016 at 4:58pm
Hi Stevie,

I would suggest asking for advice on specific strains at the dispensary. There are a million varieties now and it can be very overwhelming. Dried cannabis is sold by the gram. Here it ranges from $5-$15.  That would give you several uses on a vaporiser.

I've had a Solo for years. If you'd like a link I can get one.

If you get a gram or two of a couple varieties, you can get an idea of the different effects different strains provide. Indica is very relaxing, and can help with sleep. Sativa is more energizing and can help keep you moving through the day.

A good vaporizer makes using mmj very easy and allows you to use a very small amount.
Cervical Facet arthritis
Chronic Pain Syndrome
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2016 at 8:49pm
Thank you for great information once again, Bailey.

Sorry to ask a dumb question, but what is a "solo"? And yes, I'd love a link.

I'm waiting impatiently for my license. I'm having increased side effects from certain meds I want to decrease ASAP.

I'm also going to stress to anyone and everyone reading this thread that this site, while now including MMJ in our forums is and will continue to only talk about LEGAL use of this drug. No differently than we have for the past 8 years with narcotics. NO talk of anything illegal will be permitted. Ever.

Thank you for your very knowledgeable input Bailey. It's greatly appreciated.

Kate View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2016

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2016 at 2:23am
Hello all,

I live in a state that mmj is legal and I also stay with family for about five months in a state where mmj isn't legal. Washington, where mmj is legal they are stinky about opioids. In the state that doesn't allow mmj, they are good about opioids. If I could draw a map with caption I would. Hope you can understand.

My question is: Once you use mmj, will it always be in your system? In the state that is good about opioids, I have to take a tinkle test because of pain contract.

Kate
Pudendal Decompression Surgery 3/14/2011 failed
L3 to S1 all fused Surgery 8/22/2012
Degenerative Disc Disease
Failed back surgery syndrome
Knee replaced
Sero-negative Rheumatoid Arthritis
Fentanyl Patch
Spondylolithesis of back
CRPS
Bailey View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2016 at 3:28am
Hi Stevie,

Here's a link to the most popular vaporizers,

https://quitsmokingcommunity.org/vaporizers/top-portable-vaporizers/

Solo is the name of the vaporizer I use. Again, there are a lot of different choices, but you do,get what you pay for. The one I use has a ceramic bowl and a glass tube. That means there's no plastic being heated or in the vapour path, which is important to me.

Kate, what an interesting problem. Not fun for sure. Mmj will stay in your system for a period of time, but not forever. If you have a signed contract stating you will not use mmj, you do risk losing your prescription meds.

That said, I recently read the CDC has advised they stop testing for Thc at pain clinics and most are testing to ensure you have the medication prescribed in your system, not for other meds.
Cervical Facet arthritis
Chronic Pain Syndrome
Kate View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2016

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2016 at 3:38am
How can I find out if the pain clinic that I go to has dropped THC? Is there a list or is it in the pain med contract?
Knee replaced
Fentanyl Patch
Spondylolithesis of back
CRPS
Kate View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2016

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2016 at 3:46am
Stevie,

Is Arizona okay with recreational mj? If it is, all your license does for you, is make it so you don't have to pay tax. The Feds can't tax medicine, yet! You could try a small amount if recreational mj if it is legal in the state.

That is what I learned in Colorado, when we drove across the country.

Kate
Knee replaced
Fentanyl Patch
Spondylolithesis of back
CRPS
Bailey View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2016 at 3:53am
Hi Kate,

I don't know that you can find out that information. An anonymous call maybe? Do you have a copy of your pain contract?
Cervical Facet arthritis
Chronic Pain Syndrome
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>