Advertise
With Us 
ChronicPainSite.com Foundation, Inc Personal Homepage
Please, if you have not Donated lately we need your help.
Click here to find out how YOU can help
  Advertise
With Us 

FAQ FAQ   Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New FP Group.. LIFE WITH CHRONIC PAIN
How you can get more control of your health and life.
Click Here
To Our FB page      

Login
Register
---------
ChronicPainSite.com Foundation, Inc
RULES
Navigation
Main Page
Forum Home
About Us
Site Information
Our Advisors
Articles Home
Faces of Pain
Recipe Section
No Pain Pain Scale No Pain

FAQ
Member Control Panel
Login
Register
Walking Conversion Chart

DC's Stories

CP Man Stories

Donate

Latest in the "opiod scare"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Edie View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2017 at 1:09am

I read the article, and in response I wrote this letter to the paper that published it; The New York Times. I hope I will get some kind of notice from them.

This is in response to your article on Drug Overdose Epidemic by Josh Kash

My purpose is primarily to bring awareness to the need for care and treatment for the Chronic Pain Patient.

The number of deaths due to Pain Medication addiction is indeed sobering. My heart goes to these people of which I've known one. It is all unfortunate, but this crisis has also put the Chronic Pain Patient in a bad view. We are being treated as if we were all drug addicts. But, the situation is not all black and white.

Every one who uses Opioids doesn't do it for diversion. There are the people who suffer with chronic pain. People like me who after trying everything else were left to the only one option: Pain Management with drugs.

Not all people on Opiods for pain end up on Heroine or other very dangerous drugs. I have been on Morphine for nearly 10 years, and have never had the minimum inkling on trying something stronger.

If they start taking away the medicine from the true Chronic Pain Sufferers, you will find that besides the increase on OD’s from addiction, there will also be a big increase in suicides. Life is just not worth living when you can’t do anything because you are in pain

It wasn't mine or my doctor's will for me to start taking these medications. When we found out the disaster that is my spine, and that it was inoperable, we began treatment with all the less conventional types of treatment. I did my physical therapy, Acupuncture, Tens unit, Hot/Cold, Massage, Balms, you name it, I tried it. When nothing helped for any extended length of time, we began searching for some medication that would help with the pain and that I could tolerate at same time, starting with Ibuprofen. It took us, my doctor and me, about a year of trying one thing or another until we found the drugs I am taking now. They don’t take all the pain away, but do help me to get out of bed and function in a somewhat normal manner. I don't think anybody hates taking opioids or any medicine for the matter as much as I do. When the doctor told me I would need to take them for the rest of my life, I cried. Right there in front of him. Ever since, I kept trying the other things I had tried before, and also cutting down on the dose to see if I could make it without it. But no such luck.

Now my doctor is being pressed to start cutting down on my medicine, and has brought up the subject of the need to stop completely  on various times. Now besides the pain and the awful feeling I get from the medicine, I have to worry that on my next visit to my doctor, I may not get any more. If this happens, they might as well bring a hospital bed to my home, because without it, my medicine, I would not be getting much out of bed, as my condition gets worse and worse, and will never get better.

It is necessary to study this problem and come out with a way to help this population, instead of leaving us in the air to suffer with no way to get help. We are not drug seekers. We do not take drugs to get a high. Me, personally don’t find any pleasure on using these pills, but I need to take them in order to live and function as a normal human being.

Please, think about doing a research and a report on this subject as you did on the problem with Opioids Addiction. You will be surprised at what you find. You can begin by taking a look a this web page of which I am a member: http://chronicpainsite.com . Look around, and find the Chronic Pain Section. You will see stories of people in pain. I can’t swear that every one of these people is on the level on their need for Opioids, but what about those who really need it?

edie

Chronic pain throughout the spine caused by osteoarthritis (DDD). Started at neck, spread to thoracic, and lately to lumbar area. Most of my spine is affected by bulges, disc height loss and dehydration, bone spurs, annular tears, foraminal stenosis, probable nerve impingement, and degeneration at end plates and facets.

The disease extends from Cervical C2-3 to C7-T1. Thoracic T4 to T10.
Lumbar T12-L1 to L5-S1.
It is all non operable.

Other conditions
TKR R Knee.
Torn ACL, MCL L knee,
Pain on legs and calves
Deep vein thrombosis
Migraine headaches
Painful spots all over scalp
COPD
Hypertension
Chronic Hyperventilation. Caused by anxiety or stress
Chronic depression and insomnia
Bailey View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2013-2016

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2017 at 3:42am
Very well said Edie. Great idea linking to the site.
DDD C3-C6 with multiple osteophytes causing both moderate foraminal and canal stenosis and flattening and impinging on the spinal cord
Cervical Facet arthritis
Chronic Pain Syndrome
Booger54 View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2017

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Booger54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2017 at 1:53pm
Brilliant and well written, Edie! I believe that every time we see an article dealing with "the opioid crisis" we need to bring our situation into that equation and let the publisher and/or the author know about the tens of millions of us suffering needlessly because of the abuse by some. We are all being punished for the actions of few. It is one way we can actively participate in advocacy for our problems.  
"I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore"
Peter Finch - movie "Network"
Edie View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2017 at 12:01pm
Thank you Bailey and Booger. I always felt I needed to say something. It may still get ignored, but I will also write a letter to my Representative. We need to make these people understand that Chronic Pain is a serious situation, and it shouldn't be ignored. Imagine, not only not to have to worry about loosing our medication, but how about insurance paid health spas and massage. That would be of so much help for us. They are talking about Narcan survival kits available to addicts, so why not something that would help us with our pain?
Chronic pain throughout the spine caused by osteoarthritis (DDD). Started at neck, spread to thoracic, and lately to lumbar area. Most of my spine is affected by bulges, disc height loss and dehydration, bone spurs, annular tears, foraminal stenosis, probable nerve impingement, and degeneration at end plates and facets.

Lumbar T12-L1 to L5-S1.
It is all non operable.

Other conditions
TKR R Knee.
Torn ACL, MCL L knee,
Pain on legs and calves
Deep vein thrombosis
Migraine headaches
COPD
Hypertension
Todd View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2015/16

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2017 at 2:51pm
Yeah, thanks Edie for helping bring to light the truth.
I myself had to write to the New Orleans leading paper, The Times Picayune, because they printed an article about opioid abuse related deaths and had a big picture of a box of Fentanyl patches above it.
They referenced fentanyl laced heroin as a leading cause of these deaths but made no distinction between street fentanyl and prescribed patches.
I need to dig my letter up but in short I tore them a new one for this lack of knowledge and research on the subject.
They retracted it and printed an apology but this remains a huge problem. Too many people rely on the "media" for their information about the state of our world. This being said, great care should be taken by said media in providing information. It should be factual and complete. So rarely is this the case.

Good luck to you and all of us who suffer untold amounts of CP.
It's a possibility!
Just ask me
Just out of (Dec21) surgery for instrumented L5 lamenectomy/fusion to S1, decompress L234, clean up stenosis in several areas, remove bone spurs, harvest bone for fusion and screw it all together lol
Chronic inflamation of SI joint, stenosis, L5 Spurs, degenerative disc 4,5.1. Several other disk issues, Bi-Lateral Total Hip repl.for idiopathic necrosis, degenerative disc in all cervical joints, fractured C7 (unhealed), Rebuilt lower right tib/fib/coxic/ancle/foot from trauma, Idiopathic systemic/autoimmune issue causing inflammation in various joints and eyes. RA neg HLA B27 neg, Sed rate high and C-Reactive high
Major anxiety and depression / Bi-Polar disorder (maybe,I disagree). When fractured C7 lived in a halo for 6 mos. no fun at all
Booger54 View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2017

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Booger54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2017 at 5:30pm
Great one Todd! This is the kind of action we should all be taking - repeatedly! Let the newspapers know, let your Representatives at both State and Federal level know, and keep doing it over and over until the message gets through. Elsewhere, do the same with your MP and anyone else who can be of help.
Jeff View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2014-2016

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2017 at 6:01pm
Great idea.  I wrote my US Congressmen and Senators as well as Jeff Sessions, but haven't thought of newspapers or periodicals like Time Magazine or shows like 60 minutes.  Maybe we'll all get on there together.

I've thought about leaving the US and moving to another country where getting pain meds isn't such a hassle, but then again, I have numerous other medical conditions so I need a really good medical system to move to.  Any countries really good at this stuff?
Ankylosing spondylitis & osteoporosis -> compression fractures -> facet & ligamentum flavum hypertrophy-> stenosis -> spinal cord & nerve root compression -> cervical myelopathy & radiculopathy -> bruise & deformation of my spinal cord -> incomplete spinal cord injury -> postlaminectomy syndrome of cervical region. Cervical laminectomy & fusion decompressed my cord but I now have severe chronic pain. Pain meds = Oxycontin, Percocet, Lyrica, Soma, Cymbalta, Voltaren Gel, & Ketamine pain cream. 11 surgeries including 5 orthopedic & 1 neurosurgery.

Please donate to help Chronicpainsite.com continue to help others.
Edie View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2017 at 12:35pm
I really don't know if things would be better in a different country. I think our best bit is here, even when things are getting so difficult. But, I agree, that we all should get together on this and start writing to everyone who is in the position to do something. The goal is to get the word out, and bring awareness to need to research and do some studies on Chronic Pain as a genuine disease.

Lumbar T12-L1 to L5-S1.
It is all non operable.

Other conditions
TKR R Knee.
Torn ACL, MCL L knee,
Pain on legs and calves
Deep vein thrombosis
Migraine headaches
COPD
Hypertension
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2017 at 2:35pm
Having read every post from so many countries all over the world, there's no panacea that I've seen anywhere for "better" health care options NOT related to chronic pain, nor for the treatment of CP. The US seems to lead and others follow. So I well expect any country that may be slightly more lenient in regards to narcotic painkillers to also begin the same slippery slope that's going on in the States. I'd also be very concerned about quality treatment for other medical conditions.

Something else to consider is citizenship. I used to spend considerable time in Canada. If I became ill I had to pay cash to be treated and pay for medications. Then try to get compensated from your insurance company wasn't worth the aggravation. With so many other countries having NHS, only THEIR citizens get treated for "free". I couldn't even get a flu shot there.

Please donate to help Chronicpainsite.com continue to help others.

My journey with chronic pain began over 30 years ago, while as a young nurse working spinal rehab, I injured my back lifting a patient. I am now fused from L2-S1. I have multiple thoracic and cervical issues. I'm a retired RN/PA and I know and understand the frustrations on both ends of the treatment spectrum of dealing with CP. It's been my goal since 2008, when we started this site, to reach out and help as many people in pain as possible. We will continue the fight as long as we can. Please, if you can help us continue to help you and others, donate. Thank you.
sara1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sara1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2017 at 5:34pm
Stevie my Mom had to get insurance for spending time in Florida and she was able to get her prescriptions and see a certain health clinic Dr for treatment so insurance was expensive for her being in her 70's was 1500. for the year I believe. 

PS I forgot to add if me who lives in Ontario goes to Alberta my health insurance is limited from Ontario and have to pay 1/3 or something can't remember, if you can get reimbursed, so it's always good to have insurance wherever you travel.
I'm not sure if you have insurance in every State you go in or you need to get insurance as well for each time you visit other States? 
DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing Neck-reverse Lordosis of c-spine C6-C7 with impingement, numb hand and sore outer elbow. Bursitis to both knees. RN
Booger54 View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2017

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Booger54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2017 at 12:46am
From seeing all of these posts, from all different countries, I have to agree with Stevie that you must take pro-active actions in your countries if you do not want the same thing to happen to you as has happened to us in the U.S.!!! Call, write, harass, your MPs or whatever it takes to get them to realize (Realise in Brit-speak, I believe) that you are human beings, in chronic pain, and must be treated as human beings! We, in the U.S. (I don't know why they call us "America" when that is a continent, not a country) have lost that option and are fighting our way back. It is going to be a tough fight as the press/media jumped on this bandwagon faster than flies on.... whatever. We have an uphill fight. Don't allow that to happen in your country!!!! Just because the U.S. does it, it does not mean that it is the right thing to do. Do everything you can before it is too late and you end up in the same situation. Good fortune!!!...Tim
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12