Advertise
With Us 
ChronicPainSite.com Foundation, Inc Personal Homepage
Please, if you have not Donated lately we need your help.
Click here to find out how YOU can help
  Advertise
With Us 

FAQ FAQ   Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

To Our FB page      

Login
Register
---------
ChronicPainSite.com Foundation, Inc
RULES
Navigation
Main Page
Forum Home
About Us
Site Information
Our Advisors
Articles Home
Faces of Pain
Recipe Section
No Pain Pain Scale No Pain

FAQ
Member Control Panel
Login
Register
Walking Conversion Chart

DC's Stories

CP Man Stories

Donate

Facial nerve pain

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MARTHA NGUGI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MARTHA NGUGI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Facial nerve pain
    Posted: Apr/12/2016 at 10:03am
My name is Martha from Kenya-Africa. I am a mother of two 11 yrs girl and 6 yrs boy. My pain started 3 yrs ago..  it has never been  severe until last week when it lasted for a whole day and a half, the pain is as an electric shock on my left side of the face with very very severe pain ,it would be triggered by very slight movement, like talking, eating walking..i had never visited hospital before but this time I went to visit a neurologist and considering that in my country been a third world war country we have less than ten neurologist I had to cough some amount of cash for consultation only, I managed to see him and was prescribed a 10 days dose, anyway, the pain stopped . I was reffered to do an MRI . I where by im still looking for money since its very expensive. It scares me more coz its termed as a terminal condition.
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2016 at 4:36pm
Hi Martha,

Did the neurologist give you the name of this condition or a diagnosis? Can you tell us the name of the medication he put you on?

Your symptoms sound very much like a condition called Trigiminal Neuralgia. It is treatable and while it may last for some time, it's not a "terminal" illness. You won't die from this. However, the MRI is being done to rule out anything more serious. I hope you get it very soon and can put your mind to rest.

We are glad you found us and look forward to getting to k is you better. Stevie

Please donate to help Chronicpainsite.com continue to help others.

My journey with chronic pain began over 30 years ago, while as a young nurse working spinal rehab, I injured my back lifting a patient. I am now fused from L2-S1. I have multiple thoracic and cervical issues. I'm a retired RN/PA and I know and understand the frustrations on both ends of the treatment spectrum of dealing with CP. It's been my goal since 2008, when we started this site, to reach out and help as many people in pain as possible. We will continue the fight as long as we can. Please, if you can help us continue to help you and others, donate. Thank you.
tkay View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2013-2018

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2016 at 9:10pm
Hi Martha.
I agree with what Stevie stated above.

I dealt with facial neuralgia before. It is just like you experience it to be.

It took a while for the symptoms to stop. It did take time for the medication to get to the right level also.

I hope that you will be able to get back the neurologist again. Til then I will be thinking of you. Please if you have time update us on how you are doing.
pete81241 View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2013/14/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pete81241 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2016 at 3:37pm
welcome to cps. i too have the facial and neck pain. mine too is  very painful although there are many causes. tell us how the mri comes out...pal pete
parkinsons disease.men1 genetic disorder. endocrine tumors in pituitary gland and pancreas. carpel tunnel syndrome. spinal stenosis.sleep apnea.vast knowledge of crutches and wheelchairs.borderline diabetic.gerd. both hips replaced. spinal stimulator. 7 spine surgeries/fusions. pain pump trial.Thrombocytopenia. no spleen.
Merlin View Drop Down
Prior Member
Prior Member
I Donated to CPS 2013-2016

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2016 at 8:25pm
Hi Martha

Many years ago I was having severe pain in the left side of the face and I was treated for trigeminal neuralgia - but it turned out I had two infected teeth

Those teeth developed abscesses - and the pain went away after I had those teeth out

It wouldn't do any harm to see a dentist - a good one - but then I understand that where you live it might be easier said that done

I know facial pain is severe - and I know why - not that this makes it any easier for  you - but you have come to the right place - we all care about each other here and we are a family

And you are one of us now -

So welcome - we are big into understanding

Merlin - Australia
Hazy-Daisy View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2016

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hazy-Daisy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2016 at 7:39pm
I also went through a bought with neuralgia. It did subside but was scary at the time to feel my face go numb and shock me. They did an MRI to rule out something more serious at the time, as I had other issues that matched a possible diagnosis. Each person is different. I have a friend that goes through it, and it's related to her jaw. So many different things can cause it. 

I wanted to write to let you know that I rarely deal with these facial sensations anymore. I may get an occasional electrical shock feeling time to time - but the issue that was daily at the time resolved on its own. What a relief, and I felt better knowing it was not something bigger. It's difficult at times because the test can feel like a weight on your shoulders, leaving you to worry. Remember, the test is simply to get more information. We're nervous it could be bad, but in my case, the test showed me good news. (Best to you)
pete81241 View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pete81241 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2016 at 3:24pm
i too have had facial and neck pain. but it has been severe for close to five months. you were lucky it was fixed in ten days....pal pete
parkinsons disease.men1 genetic disorder. endocrine tumors in pituitary gland and pancreas. carpel tunnel syndrome. spinal stenosis.sleep apnea.vast knowledge of crutches and wheelchairs.borderline diabetic.gerd. both hips replaced. spinal stimulator. 7 spine surgeries/fusions. pain pump trial.Thrombocytopenia. no spleen.
Bailey View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2016 at 3:43pm
Pete,

Could another PRFA or rhyzotomy help?
DDD C3-C6 with multiple osteophytes causing both moderate foraminal and canal stenosis and flattening and impinging on the spinal cord
Cervical Facet arthritis
Chronic Pain Syndrome
Edie View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2016 at 5:01pm
Hi Martha...

Welcome to our chronic pain site. I am so very glad you found us. We are her to listen and offer our support.  We will try to help as best as we can.

The first thing that occurred to me as I read your post was, "teeth problems". What did they tell you at the consult visit? Did they suggest any other tests besides an MRI? Maybe a CatScan? These tests would be very helpful in determining what is the cause of your pain.

Are there any places there where, people can go for medical help when they can't afford the costs on their own? May be you could do some research on that, and see if you can get some place where they can help you with this

In the meantime, could you tell us more about your pain, like where on the face is it; is it swollen, reddish, or warm? Are there things that make it worse or better? etc. As others have mentioned, it could very well be Neuralgia. Have you been having any headaches also?

And can you tell us what was the medication you received? That it was for 10 days can be an indication that it was an antibiotic, which would indicate some kind of abscess. an infection, or something like that, but we won't know for certain. You say that it helped, but did the pain stop completely, or has it returned again.

Please, remain calm. We don't know that this is anything terminal. Nothing like that will be known for sure until they do some tests, and may be a biopsy.

Let us know how things are going. I hope you are feeling better....Edie
Chronic pain throughout the spine caused by osteoarthritis (DDD). Started at neck, spread to thoracic, and lately to lumbar area. Most of my spine is affected by bulges, disc height loss and dehydration, bone spurs, annular tears, foraminal stenosis, probable nerve impingement, and degeneration at end plates and facets.

The disease extends from Cervical C2-3 to C7-T1. Thoracic T4 to T10.
Lumbar T12-L1 to L5-S1.
It is all non operable.

Other conditions
TKR R Knee.
Torn ACL, MCL L knee,
Pain on legs and calves
Deep vein thrombosis
Migraine headaches
Painful spots all over scalp
COPD
Hypertension
Chronic Hyperventilation. Caused by anxiety or stress
Chronic depression and insomnia
Merlin View Drop Down
Prior Member
Prior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2016 at 6:46pm
Hi Pal PeteSmile

I have been thinking about you lately - noticing you hadn't posted for a while

How are you? I am so sorry I have not followed my inclination to post to you myself

All the best Pete - I have missed you
pete81241 View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pete81241 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2016 at 7:28pm
hi  ...

i had strokes but my neck and head have been terribly painful. so bad that i cant type very much. i do have hope but the pain is terrible. i have had injections of 50% lidocain and 50% steroids but they have not helped very much. the rhyzotomy that i asked for was cancelled because of a second stroke at home. i feel ok  except for the pain which is much worse than sciatica....pal pete
Merlin View Drop Down
Prior Member
Prior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2016 at 7:50pm
I'm so sorry about that Pete - it seems that the medication isn't helping that much

Have they given you anything for the pain - I know they took you off things for a while - I don't know if they have given you anything really helpful in the meantime

Gee - life is difficult - and I know it's hard for you to type - but I am thinking of you
Bailey View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2016 at 5:08am
Hi Pete,

I'm so sorry you're living in so much pain 😟 I just remember how bad the pain was for you before your first cervical rhyzotomy, and how it was almost miraculous how much relief you got after the procedure. And it lasted for a couple years.

Hoping you can get some relief Pal Pete. Hugs.
DDD C3-C6 with multiple osteophytes causing both moderate foraminal and canal stenosis and flattening and impinging on the spinal cord
Cervical Facet arthritis
Chronic Pain Syndrome
 Post Reply Post Reply