Advertise
With Us 
ChronicPainSite.com Foundation, Inc Personal Homepage
Please, if you have not Donated lately we need your help.
Click here to find out how YOU can help
  Advertise
With Us 

FAQ FAQ   Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

To Our FB page      

Login
Register
---------
ChronicPainSite.com Foundation, Inc
RULES
Navigation
Main Page
Forum Home
About Us
Site Information
Our Advisors
Articles Home
Faces of Pain
Recipe Section
No Pain Pain Scale No Pain

FAQ
Member Control Panel
Login
Register
Walking Conversion Chart

DC's Stories

CP Man Stories

Donate

Cough/sneeze OUCH

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
nene View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cough/sneeze OUCH
    Posted: Oct/13/2016 at 3:31pm
I have been having possibly some allergic symptoms lately and nothing Otc helps. Every time I sneeze or cough pain shoots down both legs. I hate sciatic pain. I know what it is. I have an appointment with my pcp Monday so I hope she can help. I am just feeling sorry for myself as it has been worse today. I also don't dare walk at all without my crutches as if I sneeze while walking or standing both legs go out. I fell 2 days ago like that. Fall didn't cause injury as I was in front of my couch and landed mostly there. Thank God for a soft landing. I have to pick my oldest grandson up at school after choir practice today and have not had pain meds for hours now. At least that is soon so I have a chance to take something in the next couple of hours. I am really glad I have stayed with medication I can hold off so I can do what I need to do since their mom works evening shift. Monday I have a doctor's appointment and later his choir concert. It will be a long painful day since I don't drive medicated. I am probably safe since on same dose Norco for 2 years but don't want to endanger others.
DDD, spinal stenosis, buldging/herniated disks,nerve compression, CAD, diabetes,etc
Nene
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2016 at 4:54pm
Nene---

I can't remember off hand your problem, but of course pain down the leg(s) with coughing and sneezing is indicative of spinal nerve compression.

While pain meds help, they aren't the ultimate answer in fixing a problem that is causing falls which can be so dangerous as we age. Have you not seen a surgeon for an opinion?

Please donate to help Chronicpainsite.com continue to help others.

My journey with chronic pain began over 30 years ago, while as a young nurse working spinal rehab, I injured my back lifting a patient. I am now fused from L2-S1. I have multiple thoracic and cervical issues. I'm a retired RN/PA and I know and understand the frustrations on both ends of the treatment spectrum of dealing with CP. It's been my goal since 2008, when we started this site, to reach out and help as many people in pain as possible. We will continue the fight as long as we can. Please, if you can help us continue to help you and others, donate. Thank you.
Edie View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2016 at 6:46pm
I am so glad you didn't hurt yourself too badly on your fall. It is so scary. You will have to be extra careful to prevent further falls. It is a very good idea not to take chances while medicated. I do the same, as I also have problems falling because of problems with my knees, and can fall down very easily.

It is very nice of you of you to help with your grand child even when you are having these problems. Good luck with your appointment on Monday...Edie
Chronic pain throughout the spine caused by osteoarthritis (DDD). Started at neck, spread to thoracic, and lately to lumbar area. Most of my spine is affected by bulges, disc height loss and dehydration, bone spurs, annular tears, foraminal stenosis, probable nerve impingement, and degeneration at end plates and facets.

The disease extends from Cervical C2-3 to C7-T1. Thoracic T4 to T10.
Lumbar T12-L1 to L5-S1.
It is all non operable.

Other conditions
TKR R Knee.
Torn ACL, MCL L knee,
Pain on legs and calves
Deep vein thrombosis
Migraine headaches
Painful spots all over scalp
COPD
Hypertension
Chronic Hyperventilation. Caused by anxiety or stress
Chronic depression and insomnia
nene View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2016 at 9:51pm
I swear I thought my info was at the bottom of the page. I have ddd, spinal stenosis, buldging/herniated discs. I cannot have surgery (was planning a visit to surgeon) as I had a massive heart attack a bit over 4 months ago. I am high risk and no one will touch me right now. Not able to have anymore epidural steroid injections as I am on a medication that can cause bleeding. I am kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place. I know the pain is from nerve compression. I have ongoing pain from that. It gets worse when coughing or sneezing. I am just being a lot more careful.
DDD, spinal stenosis, buldging/herniated disks,nerve compression, CAD, diabetes,etc
Nene
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2016 at 9:00am
Nene----

I do remember now, and you are in a bad position.

Have you tried a TENS unit? Check with your Cardiologist first, but that gives some people some relief---and could be used when you can't take pain meds:)

My journey with chronic pain began over 30 years ago, while as a young nurse working spinal rehab, I injured my back lifting a patient. I am now fused from L2-S1. I have multiple thoracic and cervical issues. I'm a retired RN/PA and I know and understand the frustrations on both ends of the treatment spectrum of dealing with CP. It's been my goal since 2008, when we started this site, to reach out and help as many people in pain as possible. We will continue the fight as long as we can. Please, if you can help us continue to help you and others, donate. Thank you.
nene View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2016 at 5:27pm
Stevie, I have tried tens and acupuncture with no help. Ice makes things worse. Heat does help but is limited. I started on lyrica (stuff expensive even with insurance). It left me super dizzy. I decided to use the night pill only for a while. Much less dizziness and helps the burning, electric pain going down my legs. I still have lots of pain but I am afraid I am stuck with this. It has been over 2 years and cardiologist says no chance of stopping the Brilanta that keeps my platelets from clumping for at least a year. He says he will discuss it after a year but not to plan on it. Oh well.
Nene
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2016 at 8:32am
Lyrica is a wonderful drug for neuropathic pain, but in many cases (such as myself), needs to be started on very small doses. I found after a time I could tolerate 25mg during the day and more at night. The cost became too much for me and I did stop it after my last fusion when it wasn't needed any longer.

The only thing I can recommend is to continue trying it in tiny doses and don't give up on the TENS. Things that don't work at first CAN work later. If you are being told to wait for an extended period of time for surgery, you risk permanent nerve damage and then it becomes pointless.

So continued effort into every other option is necessary. I'd invest in a heated mattress pad (can't do without mine) and a good quality zero gravity chair. Check out Relax the Back. My chairs are over 10 years old and look like new. It was an investment worth every dollar.

Post Reply Post Reply