Advertise
With Us 
ChronicPainSite.com Foundation, Inc Personal Homepage
Please, if you have not Donated lately we need your help.
Click here to find out how YOU can help
  Advertise
With Us 

FAQ FAQ   Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

To Our FB page      

Login
Register
---------
ChronicPainSite.com Foundation, Inc
RULES
Navigation
Main Page
Forum Home
About Us
Site Information
Our Advisors
Articles Home
Faces of Pain
Recipe Section
No Pain Pain Scale No Pain

FAQ
Member Control Panel
Login
Register
Walking Conversion Chart

DC's Stories

CP Man Stories

Donate

just starting recovery

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rocky1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocky1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: just starting recovery
    Posted: Jan/15/2018 at 4:22pm
c4 c5 and c6 c7 all i can say omg the pain
2/13/08 two lvl fusion L-4 to S-1 w/Axilif and all the hardware to prove it.I now have severe chronic pain.
Down and out 16 weeks.But with the help of my spiney friends I am moving on with life. Left and right rotator cuff 2012 torn meniscus 2013
Another tear same knee, Now torn meniscus both knees 11/2013 As of 11/10 17 C3-C4 C6-C7 Posterior disc osteophyte complex with moderate central spinal stenosis and impingement on the anterior cervical spinal cord. there are uncovertebral changes and facet joint arthropathy with bilateral neural formina narrowning and mass effect on exiting right and left C4 and C7 nerve root
T12-L1right para-central disc protrusion abuts the the-cal sac
L1-l2 disc bulge abuts the the-cal sac. mild facet
L2-L3 spinal canal stenosis secondary to disc bulge and bilateral facet hypertrophy
L3-L4disc protrusion spinal canal stenosis disc spacers partially extend into the right extra-formation region and abuts the right L4 nerve root in the extra-formation region
L5- S1Disc bulge abuts the thecal sac bilateral facet hypertrophy The L5 nerve root exits with mild impingement.
dbarbeau48 View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2013-2016

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbarbeau48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2018 at 9:28am
All I can say Rocky is, take it slow. Recovery is a long and windy road. The big thing now is to control your pain.
Dick
Five knee surgeries from 1970 to 2000. Knee replacement in 2000.Spinal stenosis surgery in May of 2002. Diagnosed with Pseudogout in 2005, effecting hands, knees, and shoulders. Emergency surgery in March of 2006 for spinal infection of L 2 and L 3. During surgery, discovered I had Cauda Equina Syndrome. Spine became unstable after surgery and had 360 fusion with 10 pedicle screws, plates and rods in April of 2007. Retired early as a high school principal. Recently, have had trigger finger surgery on both hands as well as surgery for severe bi-lateral Carpal Tunnel disease.
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2018 at 1:38pm
Agree completely with Dick. Recovery is so different for everyone. Eat well, sleep well and control the pain as much as possible. PT when your surgeon says you are ready. Best wishes for all to go well!!!

Please donate to help Chronicpainsite.com continue to help others.

My journey with chronic pain began over 30 years ago, while as a young nurse working spinal rehab, I injured my back lifting a patient. I am now fused from L2-S1. I have multiple thoracic and cervical issues. I'm a retired RN/PA and I know and understand the frustrations on both ends of the treatment spectrum of dealing with CP. It's been my goal since 2008, when we started this site, to reach out and help as many people in pain as possible. We will continue the fight as long as we can. Please, if you can help us continue to help you and others, donate. Thank you.
Jeff View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2014-2018

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2018 at 3:43am
Way to go Rocky!  I'm thrilled you got this done. What kind of pain are you having?

I had C4 fused to C5 and C5 fused to C6, so 3 level fusion (or 2 level depending on how you count it).
Ankylosing spondylitis resulting in fusion of entire cervical, thoracic, lumbar, and SI joints, osteoporosis, 5 compression fractures, severe stenosis of spinal cord & nerve root compression, cervical myelopathy, radiculopathy, bruise & permanent deformation of spinal cord, incomplete spinal cord injury, postlaminectomy syndrome of cervical region, chronic nerve and orthopedic severe pain, and bilateral carpal tunnel. Asthma, GERD, high blood pressure, high tryglycrides, diverticulosis, recurrent pneumonia, anemia, hypertension, chronic dry eye and mouth. Need hip & knee replacement and fusion of both feet. Already had 11 surgeries including 5 orthopedic & 1 neurosurgery.

Denny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2018 at 12:48pm
Touchy Owie!
Ditto on the above.
Rest well.
Rocky1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocky1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2018 at 2:56pm
c4 to7 a lot of pain

2/13/08 two lvl fusion L-4 to S-1 w/Axilif and all the hardware to prove it.I now have severe chronic pain.
Down and out 16 weeks.But with the help of my spiney friends I am moving on with life. Left and right rotator cuff 2012 torn meniscus 2013
Another tear same knee, Now torn meniscus both knees 11/2013 As of 11/10 17 C3-C4 C6-C7 Posterior disc osteophyte complex with moderate central spinal stenosis and impingement on the anterior cervical spinal cord. there are uncovertebral changes and facet joint arthropathy with bilateral neural formina narrowning and mass effect on exiting right and left C4 and C7 nerve root
L2-L3 spinal canal stenosis secondary to disc bulge and bilateral facet hypertrophy
L3-L4disc protrusion spinal canal stenosis disc spacers partially extend into the right extra-formation region and abuts the right L4 nerve root in the extra-formation region
L5- S1Disc bulge abuts the thecal sac bilateral facet hypertrophy The L5 nerve root exits with mild impingement.
tkay View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2013-2018

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2018 at 5:06pm
HI Rocky.
Take things as you are able.
I hope your recovery goes without any complications.
Rocky1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocky1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2018 at 6:34pm
Thanks all just wondering how long it really takes before the pain should ease up

Jeff View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2018 at 2:52am
I really didn't have so much pain but then again I was on a massive dose of oxycodone during my recovery (15 mg x 6 a day) so I was in a daze through most of it.  If its local pain in the neck and not the shooting down your arm pain you had before, look into getting some muscle relaxers like Soma to work with the narcotics, especially since doctors are so paranoid now about narcotics.
Ankylosing spondylitis resulting in fusion of entire cervical, thoracic, lumbar, and SI joints, osteoporosis, 5 compression fractures, severe stenosis of spinal cord & nerve root compression, cervical myelopathy, radiculopathy, bruise & permanent deformation of spinal cord, incomplete spinal cord injury, postlaminectomy syndrome of cervical region, chronic nerve and orthopedic severe pain, and bilateral carpal tunnel. Asthma, GERD, high blood pressure, high tryglycrides, diverticulosis, recurrent pneumonia, anemia, hypertension, chronic dry eye and mouth. Need hip & knee replacement and fusion of both feet. Already had 11 surgeries including 5 orthopedic & 1 neurosurgery.

Rocky1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocky1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2018 at 11:43pm
So it is day 18 since surgery. Arms are very weak and on both sides of scar on the shoulder blades down to the middle of the back the pain I can not describe it. I have found I can not lift a gallon of milk to prepare a bowl of cereal. My smell and taste has been affected. The staples are out that was a relief. As I sit and type my feet are cold but I can not put a pair of socks on. My hands shake like tremors and feel kinda numb. When I went in for surgery they weighed me I had nothing on but the gown I weighed 295# Dr. appointment Friday I now weigh 260# fully dressed. The only thing they are giving me now is flexeril. 
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2018 at 9:55am
Flexeril alone isn’t adequate only 18 days out. I’m unsure how they think you can heal in so much pain. You need something stronger right now to break the pain cycle. I don’t feel Flexeril is even a good choice of a muscle relaxant. You may even benefit from either Gabapentin or Lyrica to calm down nerve pain.

When do you start Physical Therapy? Have you tried ice or heat?

You should have weight limits placed on any lifting and a gallon of liquid is heavy. Also, you’ve lost too much weight too quickly. Make sure your protein intake is adequate now.

I really feel you need to call the surgeon and have a talk with him/her or their assistant. I’m sorry that you are not doing well and hope that they will step up to help you!!

My journey with chronic pain began over 30 years ago, while as a young nurse working spinal rehab, I injured my back lifting a patient. I am now fused from L2-S1. I have multiple thoracic and cervical issues. I'm a retired RN/PA and I know and understand the frustrations on both ends of the treatment spectrum of dealing with CP. It's been my goal since 2008, when we started this site, to reach out and help as many people in pain as possible. We will continue the fight as long as we can. Please, if you can help us continue to help you and others, donate. Thank you.
Jeff View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2018 at 3:46am
I was on 75 mg of oxycodone until week 6.  Thats crazy to have you down to nothing this fast.  Lyrica is great but I'd push my family doctor for something more than flexeril.

This anti-opiate crap has gone too far.  You need to be moving and getting some strength back up.

How is your pain now?  Is it keeping you from doing PT?  If so, scream at your surgeon, who should be following you.

Rocky1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocky1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2018 at 5:59pm
Well the pain is real. I walk the floors night and day. Arms kill me back hurts. Dr Office has not returned my calls yet. One other thing that has me going crazy since surgery is every thing smells like a medicine smell. My wife cooked some fries in the deep fryer and it made me sick. Some foods I love I can not eat due to the smell. I have lost another 5lbs. They have had a home health nurse and Pt coming to me. The Nurse called the Dr. office to day raising hell. I push through pt go to get stronger in case I see Dr. on the street.lol  My Insurances trying to get me in a pain management clinic.
Jeff View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2018 at 10:09pm
Rocky that is absolutely the right approach.  If you have too much pain, go to the ER.  You shouldn't be forced to live in such pain and you won't heal.  I couldn't sleep or do anything without my pain meds and 6 weeks is MINIMUM for what you shoulld get from a decent surgeon.

Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2018 at 3:38pm
I agree with Jeff 100%. I wouldn’t normally recommend the ER as they ignore pain patients but you are struggling with post op pain that your surgeon should be managing currently. I’m also very concerned about the huge weight loss. I was in the hospital for 8 days after my last lumbar fusion and highly medicated. I cut down on my own once home but only lost about 8 pounds. A slight loss of appetite is normal but what you are describing needs to be addressed.

Do you have a G.P. or PCP you can see? I went to mine a few weeks after surgery due to severe fatigue (I needed blood transfusions in the hospital) and she ran a full panel of labs. Please keep us posted!!

Rocky1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocky1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2018 at 10:31am
Well I am 30days since surgery. It will never happen again the pain I have been through. Before I have any other surgery I will have the medication in hand Before surgery. I am moving on. Still have pain in my back and arms. Not the pain I had before surgery. But I am dealing with it. I tire very easy still I try to push it a little more each day. I know I will never be what I was before but will strive to be the best I can be. I have lost a total of 40 lbs. in 30 days. Yes I needed to lose weight just not like this. Taste and smell still way off hard to eat. Thank You My Friends for allowing me to vent my frustrations.
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2018 at 9:28pm
Keep posting and keep up the good work. I’m beyond sorry that you were sent home so undermedicated. No excuses for what you went through. Period.

Your body has been put through hell. Take it slow and easy—-let your immune system get back to normal. Eat whatever appeals to you and try to include high quality protein which you need right now. Get exercise that you are comfortable with and start out slowly.

Vent away. We are here for you.

Rocky1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocky1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2018 at 2:59pm
It has been 41 days. By this time each day I am done. The bad thing all I do is get up bathe get dressed feed myself. When I try to wash dishes lets say I don't get much done same with cooking.  I just want this nightmare to end. I need to go fishing. Prayers everyone else is hanging in there.

Bailey View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2018 at 6:56am
Hey rocky,

Sorry you’re struggling. I’m sure you’re sick of hearing it but it takes time to heal from trauma you went through. About 6 weeks out and I think you’re doing amazing. I’m done in every day by mid afternoon, and I haven’t had major surgery. I hope your pain levels will improve every day, and that you’ll be posting a picture of the big one come summer.
DDD C3-C6 with multiple osteophytes causing both moderate foraminal and canal stenosis and flattening and impinging on the spinal cord
Cervical Facet arthritis
Chronic Pain Syndrome
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2018 at 11:10am
Rocky—-

Are you getting Physical Therapy? It may really help you in the hands of a very good therapist. Just a thought. Honestly, as Bailey said most of us are done by days end and stop all activities. It’s tiring doing even minimal activities after major surgery for a few months.

But I hope by this time you’ve had your post op appointment with your surgeon and X-rays we’re done along with an exam. He or she should address ongoing pain and therapy if all else is progressing normally. Remember—the human head weighs 10-12 lbs and you’ve had major trauma done to your neck which takes time to heal.

tkay View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2018 at 3:29pm
HI Rocky,
I am wondering also if you were able to get Physical Therapy, is the nurse still coming to see you?

I would say that you should not worry about the amount of activity you are doing. So not push yourself too far, part of after surgery care is making sure you dont get too tired. Your body works to heal itself when you rest. I know it has to be hard to do only limited chores and activity.
Rocky1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocky1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2018 at 10:25am
Thanks everyone, Still no therapy did speak with the Dr.s nurse she said right now my therapy was just holding my head up. I think my main problem is I am bored. I enjoy working doing something and I can't. That is why I get so aggravated my arms are useless they just hang there numb and tingling they get hot and cold chills and my shoulders kill me from supporting my arms. Oh the nurse said this is normal for what the Dr. had to do. My back and shoulders have never itched so bad. Thank God for granddaughters. I guess the itching is healing. Bless you all .
 Post Reply Post Reply