Advertise
With Us 
ChronicPainSite.com Foundation, Inc Personal Homepage
Please, if you have not Donated lately we need your help.
Click here to find out how YOU can help
  Advertise
With Us 

FAQ FAQ   Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

To Our FB page      

Login
Register
---------
ChronicPainSite.com Foundation, Inc
RULES
Navigation
Main Page
Forum Home
About Us
Site Information
Our Advisors
Articles Home
Faces of Pain
Recipe Section
No Pain Pain Scale No Pain

FAQ
Member Control Panel
Login
Register
Walking Conversion Chart

DC's Stories

CP Man Stories

Donate

Dropped From Pain Clinic

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Elite_Itch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elite_Itch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dropped From Pain Clinic
    Posted: Jul/08/2018 at 9:06am
On July 2 2018 I had a doctors appointment at my pain management clinic I have been going to this pain management clinic for at least two years for a previously failed back surgery. I submitted a urine test and was told by the doctor that my narcotic medication did not show up in my urine, I stated to the doctor that I did not understand why it did not because I take all my medications daily and have for two years and that I do not abuse medications in anyway. The doctor then stated to me that he wanted to give me injections in my lower back and I tried to explain to him that I have already had injections in my lower back in the past from other clinics as well as from this clinic previously and that the injections them self's did more harm then good for me, 

He then stated that I have had no injections at this clinic and I then advised him that my medical history should show reports on file to support my claims. I also advised the doctor that there were other doctors in the clinic that were aware of my medical history and knew what procedures that I have had if he would not mind asking them and he stated that it did not matter that he was now my new treating doctor. Because of this disagreement I was dismissed from the clinics care and from the doctors care, I am well aware of the laws required from the state regarding medications and at no time have I abused any of my medications. 

When I returned home I contacted the pain management clinics human resource department to file a complaint against the doctor. I advised the human resource department that I felt like the new treating doctor did not have my best interest in mind, He was not aware of my past and present medical history medical reports on file. I made her office aware of this and was told by her that the doctor cannot read and know every ones medical history and reports on a patients file. In my own defense I then stated to her that if the treating doctor did not know my history then I was not comfortable with him treating me then. 

She stated that I should just obtain a new pain management doctor of my choosing and I was told that I could sign for a release of my medical records and pay for a copy of the records but that these records could take several weeks to receive. I informed her I felt that the whole situation was not handled correctly and that I felt that I have been targeted unfairly, Therefore I feel like I informed the human resource of this issue and I feel like they did not resolve the issue with the pain clinic at all. I addressed that I felt like these issue were not resolved and that was the end of the phone conversation. 

I am aware of the crisis that doctors and pain management doctors and chronic pain patients deal with everyday, I am also aware that doctors half to set rules to protect self's as well as protecting there patients rights also who may be under there care, That being said I understand that not all treating doctors are educated all the same, Some treating doctors have more knowledge then others, But I think if a doctor is writing medication to a patient he or she should know the patients medical history before hand and if advising a patient under his or her care of procedures that he or she is requesting it should also be the doctors responsibility to understand and know his or hers patients care. 

I myself have a history of back problems my own medical records reflect this, For me it is not a question of what medications a doctor chooses to put me on, I myself could care less if narcotics of any kind are written to me or not, Some medications cause me to have severe stomach issues when other medications do not. My goal of treatment is obtaining a professional doctor who is willing to understand my situation and has the knowledge to understand my history of back problems and a doctor who has my best interest in mind why I am under his or hers care. Sorry for the long post. Thank You
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2018 at 10:02am
First of all, as a retired RN and PA, this Dr used poor medical care and judgment in his care of you. It was his responsibility to have reviewed your medical records at this clinic prior to seeing you, and especially after you explained (rightly) that injections have been done there and at other facilities in the past without success. There’s enough research on the prolonged use of ESI’s causing damage. Having said that, in today’s atmosphere it appears that one “mistake”, such as “failing” a drug test, even when you weren’t given the benefit of the doubt, is enough justification for the clinic to dismiss a person as it’s one less patient that has to be accounted for in the prescribing of opioids. It’s wrong and infuriating but it’s happening to too many.

So the question is now what do you do? Are you on large amounts of drugs, and if so what? Is your main problem nerve pain or nerve damage from the failed surgery and what level(s) were operated on? More than one surgery? Have you gone to other surgeons for opinions on revision of the failed surgery?

I’ve had 3 lumbar fusions, all successful, but am going back into surgery again in a few weeks for number 4 as I have junctional disease( levels above prior fusions basically collapse). I weaned off all opioids several months ago using Gabapentin and muscle relaxers and MMJ. I don’t believe you have access to MMJ in your State. So my question is do you have enough medications on hand to start a taper until you can find a new clinic? Do you have a GP who can help you for a short period of time until you get to a new clinic? Can you see and get other surgical opinions for help?

Please let us have more information so we can attempt to provide some help. I’m sorry that you are going through this. We hear way too many stories like this and it’s a very sorry state of affairs currently.

Please donate to help Chronicpainsite.com continue to help others.

My journey with chronic pain began over 30 years ago, while as a young nurse working spinal rehab, I injured my back lifting a patient. I am now fused from L2-S1. I have multiple thoracic and cervical issues. I'm a retired RN/PA and I know and understand the frustrations on both ends of the treatment spectrum of dealing with CP. It's been my goal since 2008, when we started this site, to reach out and help as many people in pain as possible. We will continue the fight as long as we can. Please, if you can help us continue to help you and others, donate. Thank you.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elite_Itch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2018 at 10:38am
In 2011 When I was on the job working I ruptured three disc in my lower back and tore the sciatica nerve in my right leg. I had surgery for the disc and as a result was placed on SSDI for a 100% Impairment rating for a failed back surgery. I have been on several pain medications as well as several nerve medications ever since the injury. Because the state says I make to much money I no longer have insurance, The only insurance that I still receive is medicare and only medicare, 

So finding a new primary care doctor who can refer me to a new pain management clinic is not so easy. The medication that I have been taking for the last two years is listed as follows. And since the pain clinic dismissed me from care they have also cancelled all refills, So I will be out of all medications way before I can find another pain management doctor. I was told it could take two weeks just to receive my two years of recent medical records.

Lyrica 300 MG Gabapentin 600 MG Cyclobenzaprine 10 MG Meloxicam 15 MG and Oxycodone 15 MG

Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2018 at 11:04am
Do you have enough medications to safely wean off? It’s uncomfortable at best to stop Oxycodone cold turkey, but dangerous to stop Gabapentin abruptly. I’d call the pain clinic on Monday and ask them specifically how they suggest that you can get enough medications to be safe until you get help finding a Dr.

Most large communities have health care centers for those who need medical care and use a sliding scale system for payment. While they most likely wouldn’t prescribe opioids, they should resume the other medications and help you with referrals to get the surgical consultation you need to check on possible revision of your failed fusion.

Please contact both the pain clinic again on Monday, and your local hospital for help in finding a community health center in your area. In the meanwhile, parcel out your remaining meds and start a gradual taper—-most especially the Gabapentin and muscle relaxant and Oxy. You can replace the Meloxicam with OTC NSAIDS, but be careful with them. Long use can lead to severe GI and kidney damage.

My journey with chronic pain began over 30 years ago, while as a young nurse working spinal rehab, I injured my back lifting a patient. I am now fused from L2-S1. I have multiple thoracic and cervical issues. I'm a retired RN/PA and I know and understand the frustrations on both ends of the treatment spectrum of dealing with CP. It's been my goal since 2008, when we started this site, to reach out and help as many people in pain as possible. We will continue the fight as long as we can. Please, if you can help us continue to help you and others, donate. Thank you.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elite_Itch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2018 at 11:22am
I was dismissed July 2 2018 and on July 5 2018 they allowed me to sign a release of medical records but said that they would not do anything else for me. I cant believe that the doctor cancelled all the refills that I already had, I mean if he was concerned with the Oxycodone not being in my system then why did he just not take me off of them from the get go instead of saying it did not show up in my urine and because it didn't the clinic all together just dismissed from care.

The doctor and clinic did not handle any of this correctly. Who cares what is a narcotic and what isn't, I would of been okay if he decided to drop the pain medication but instead he dropped all medications that I have been taking for over two years. How does this reflect with me finding a new pain management clinic now they all gonna think I abuse my medications when in fact I do not. I wish there was something I could do more in my defense in regards to all of this mess.

The dismissal letter states no Oxycodone in urine and patient refuses injections as well. If he took the time to read my medical reports I have already had over twenty injections in my back and they have never helped anything past or present. All of this makes me look like a non responsible patient as though I have done something wrong when in fact I have not.
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2018 at 12:23pm
What that clinic was wrong and aggressive. I understand completely your frustration and concern with how you “redeem” your reputation and find another pain clinic. But right now—-today—-the focus must be on your immediate health needs.

Please find a way to get help. Reach out to your local hospitals for suggestions and community health centers. Once you’ve been stabilized and at least have some Gabapentin and muscle relaxants, you can use your energy to get another clinic and possibly find an attorney sympathetic with your case to help you pro bono. Who knows—this place could have done this to many others and there could be some type of repercussions against the clinic.

But right now please focus your energy on your own health and safety in weaning off the meds safely. That’s first and foremost. Please keep us posted. Hopefully others will see this and respond but it’s very quiet on weekends and the summer. Just know that we do care.

dbarbeau48 View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2013-2016

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbarbeau48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2018 at 12:31pm
Here’s my opinion for what’s its worth. It’s time for people who have been treated this way by doctors to find a law firm that is willing to represent you in a medical malpractice law suit. Get all your records together and sue this horrible doctor for his mistreatment of you.
Dick
Five knee surgeries from 1970 to 2000. Knee replacement in 2000.Spinal stenosis surgery in May of 2002. Diagnosed with Pseudogout in 2005, effecting hands, knees, and shoulders. Emergency surgery in March of 2006 for spinal infection of L 2 and L 3. During surgery, discovered I had Cauda Equina Syndrome. Spine became unstable after surgery and had 360 fusion with 10 pedicle screws, plates and rods in April of 2007. Retired early as a high school principal. Recently, have had trigger finger surgery on both hands as well as surgery for severe bi-lateral Carpal Tunnel disease.
Jeff View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2014-2018

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2018 at 12:46am
I agree with Dick.  This is nonsense.  
Ankylosing spondylitis resulting in fusion of entire cervical, thoracic, lumbar, and SI joints, osteoporosis, 5 compression fractures, severe stenosis of spinal cord & nerve root compression, cervical myelopathy, radiculopathy, bruise & permanent deformation of spinal cord, incomplete spinal cord injury, postlaminectomy syndrome of cervical region, chronic nerve and orthopedic severe pain, and bilateral carpal tunnel. Asthma, GERD, high blood pressure, high tryglycrides, diverticulosis, recurrent pneumonia, anemia, hypertension, chronic dry eye and mouth. Need hip & knee replacement and fusion of both feet. Already had 11 surgeries including 5 orthopedic & 1 neurosurgery.

xfoneguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xfoneguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2018 at 3:30pm
I have a somewhat similiar story (though this was of my own wrongdoing) and am at a loss for what to do.
I have been using narcotic pain meds for over 10 years - relief for chronic neck pain that resulted from a car accident.  For the majority of this time, I was treated by my own family doctor.  But a few years ago, things with the pain medication world went wacko with the government literally taking over. So I had to find a Pain Management practice. 
I've been there for over 2 years.  The head doctor (also a surgeon) implanted a Medtronix pump. I use morphine.  It has been controlled the pain fairly well for the most part. I never did get any way to control the thing as originally promised but I did have 3 - 15mg tabs per day of oral morphine.
But - I then made the worst mistake of my life - I had a couple of worse-than-normal pain episodes and ended up using some of a medication I still had from my former doctor.
Urinalysis "caught me" and I was immedietely informed (by voicemail) of my discharge from the practice.
There are so few doctors in our area that are "brave" enough to deal with narcotic medications at all that I don't know where else I can go - especially now that I have a "record".
The "low" alarm is due to start beeping any day, and the pump should run out of medication not long after that.
Compounding all of this is that my wife and I are leaving town Monday morning for "vacation".  I'm not sure how much a vacation as this will be as I am already beginning to feel ill and I don't know what to expect of withdrawal or when exactly it will hit.  Sorry for another wordy post.
Ken
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2018 at 4:37pm
Ken—

I’m aghast at your treatment by this clinic for one mistake. I’ve also made “one” mistake and it will follow me around forever. But thankfully I can use MMJ (which helped me get through the weaning process of getting off opioids but I took very little in comparison to many).

My concern isn’t for the small amount of oral MS you’re taking but for the abrupt halting of pain pump narcotics. What has been dispensed? Your well being is in jeopardy and I wouldn’t be leaving on a vacation to a strange place or being on an airplane and facing severe withdrawal. Being as it’s now Friday afternoon I doubt that you can get help from your former GP for advice. The only thing I can think of is to call your local hospital and ask for suggestions.

Once again another nightmare of a story of a so called PM clinic just waiting for one excuse to dismiss a patient with NO help. It’s inexcusable and that one mistake isn’t justification to put your life at risk.

Do whatever you can to find help before leaving home. Don’t find yourself in a situation where you can’t seek medical help if it comes to that. Oh, and find an attorney once you are sure that you are going to be safe.

xfoneguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xfoneguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2018 at 5:49pm
Thanks for the ideas.  Been thinking about cannibis - I've heard and read that it can help with the withdrawal. It's legal here (medical & recreational) so I might give that a try.  And I've heard a lot about the CBD component for pain. My wife works for Children's Hospital and they use it quite a bit.

What was dispensed?  I'm not sure of the amount (I don't think it was a lot) but it was morphine (same as the tabs). Pump was refilled every 3 months and was due on July 9.

Did I mention that my GP retired last week? LOL!  Good thing I'm not into casinos - that could be disastrous!
Ken
 Post Reply Post Reply