Walking Conversion Chart

DC's Stories

CP Man Stories

Donate

CT-Myelogram

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RottenBraten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RottenBraten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CT-Myelogram
    Posted: Aug/13/2009 at 6:48pm

Hi all,

I'm scheduled for a ct-myelogram on Monday morning and although not scared I'd like to get an idea of what to expect.  If you've ever had one, any information would be greatly appreciated.  I took Monday off work because I was told I'd need to lay down afterwards but want to know what to expect with pain, recovery (is one day off work enough) etc.

Thanks!

Car accident 8/31/07 ~ Non-surgical treatments 8/07-5/08
ALIF L5 S1 05/08/08
PLIF L5 S1 10/23/08 Revision surgery
Hardware removed October 2009
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass..It's about learning to dance in the rain!" Author unknown

"Courage is not always a roar, sometimes it is the quiet voice inside that says I will try again tomorrow" Author unknown
Sponsored Links

Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2009 at 7:48pm
Cindy--

Please go to the Medical Information and More Forum up at the top of the page.

Judy did an excellent piece on Myelograms that I think will help you very much.

Best wishes, good luck on Monday, and let us know how it goes.  Stevie

PS--Great to see you here again, and hope that you will do well and be just fine.Smile

Please donate to help Chronicpainsite.com continue to help others.

The information and articles provided on our website are designed to support, not replace the relationship between patients and physicians.

Spinal Fusions L5-S1 and L4-L5. Recent changes now with diagnosis of Lumbar Stenosis with neurogenic claudication. To have multi-levl posterior fusion with laminectomy and decompression of L2-3 L3-4 and fusion and revision of L4-5 L5-1 with instrumentation. Cervical DDD, stenosis, spondylosis, spondylolisthesis and facet arthropathy throughout cervical spine from C3-C7. Thoracic Spine: dextroconvex curvature of the thoracic spine, centered at approximately T8.(Scoliosis with 20 degree curve). At T7-8, a disc bulge. Degenerative disc disease T7-T9. Disc dessication from T3-T11.

NATIONAL SUICIDE HELPLINE 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
http://www.crisisclinic.org/
IN THE UK 0845790 90 90
http://www.samaritans.org/
imchunks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imchunks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2009 at 8:08pm
Cindy,

I wanted to drop by and wish you good luck on Monday with the Myelogram/CT.  I tried to cover everything I remember about the procedure in the post in the Medical Information forum.  I hope that it will help you and calm your fears about the procedure.  I have had it done several times in my life and each time it does get easier to go through. 

Yes you will need to take the day of the Myelogram off, but one day will be plenty.  The reason you need to lay down with your head elevated is to prevent a myelogram headache.  Please do exactly as they say on your discharge papers.  I had one myelogram headache and that was enough.  I listen very carefully for instructions now. 

Take care and let us know the results as soon as you get them.
Judy

LUMBAR: lumbar herniated disc almost all non-surgical treatments available have been tried. (5) laminectomies on lumbar spine 1982-2001, Failed fusion of L4 L5 in April, 2005; Spinal Cord Stimulator (SCS) March,2007
CERVICAL: Cervical herniated disc, Anterior cervical discectomy & fusion (ACDF C5-7)November, 2007
OTHER ISSUES: DDD, Polyneuropathy, Occipital Neuralgia, Rotator Cuff Tendinitis, Carpal Tunnel, High Blood Pressure, Hardening of the Arteries.
NERVE DAMAGE: Bilateral Peroneal, Tibial and Sural Nerves of lower legs, feet and ankles (damage caused by previous back surgeries).
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2009 at 9:15pm
Hi Cindy,
Hun, I am sooo sorry that you are getting a Myelo on Monday Ouch, I've had about 3 on my lifetime and they have never been painful.
Read the article by Judy, but I will give you some pointers.

The most important thing for you to do, is to follow their instructions..... I had one done a few weeks ago when I was in the hospital with my "Saddle Anesthesia" and I was just looking at the monitor looking at what the Doc was doing like nothing, not pain, no nothing! Then they did the CT and that was it, they took me back to my room, but they told me, DO NOT LIFT YOUR HEAD for at least 4 hours after the procedure!!!
If not you are going to get a headache, that you will never, ever forget!!!!!! Honey, I follow the instructions! No headache whatsoever! So if they tell you head down for 4 hours, or 5 or whatever, that is what you do!
Do not get the itch to bring the head up, the headaches I've heard that they are the worst!!! Worst than the worst Migraine!!

So follow your instructions and you should be fine!

Good look sweety and I hope that they will find what is wrong with you, OK?

Love you!
Millie Hug
TKDmomOF3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TKDmomOF3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2009 at 8:30am
Hey Cindy,
WAZ UP?????   I have never had a mylogram but wanted to say Hi  and wish you luck.  I miss talking to you!  I hope things go well and you stop back to give us a report. 
Anna
Injured 9/06 herniated L5-S1,2/07 Micro-D;disk colapsed,Discogram 4/08**Surgery:360 fusion w/ hardware L5-S1 on 5/12/08** Had a SCS 7/2009, was great while it lasted, removed 4/2011, the lead moved. Tapered off pain meds 5/2011...8 months later the pain had gotten so high, I slowly went back on fentynal patch with norco for breakthrough. Out of work sinc 11/1/10.

"If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of." -- Bruce Lee
Tinkerbell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinkerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2009 at 8:37am
Hey Cindy good to see you, but so sorry to here that the back problems are a continuing problem still.  Good luck with the myleogram on Monday and let us know you made out?  Miss ya girl!

Hugs
Donna
L1/L2 protrusion with a piece migrating
L4/L5 small bulge
L5/S1 bone on bone, non-operable
DDD and osteoarthritis
2000 disc herniation L5-S1 had micro discectomy, failed. Right leg/foot numbness & sciatica. Permanent nerve damage in right leg/foot along with radiculopathy and neuropathic pain and Drop foot.
SI Joint & Facet Joint Injections with some relief.

IN THE UK 0845790 90 90

For help for many things...
Canada: http://www.211Canada.ca/
U.S.: http://www.211.org/

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RottenBraten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2009 at 10:37am
Thanks everyone, I'll check out the article and say hi in the living room  :-)
ALIF L5 S1 05/08/08
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass..It's about learning to dance in the rain!" Author unknown

"Courage is not always a roar, sometimes it is the quiet voice inside that says I will try again tomorrow" Author unknown
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2009 at 4:53pm
You Welcome Hun,
Hey, are you still working???? Just wondering.... I hope that the Myelo would be the answer that you and your Doctor's need to see what else is going on with you.
Millie
thecarpenters View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thecarpenters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2009 at 1:39am
Good luck with your myleogram! 

I had one 6 yrs ago that confirmed a spinal stenosis diagnosis, which also resulted in my 2nd spinal surgery.  I also have to have another one now, but really don't want to do it, so I have been postponing it, even though my husband has been reminding me daily to do it.  I guess I should have it done to see what's going on, but really don't want to go through another back surgery as the first 2 failed for me.  Everyone already gave you excellent advice, although I am very sensitive to ANYTHING being injected into my body, and my bloodpressure dropped fast, I became severely nauseated and the doctor almost stopped the test.  I pray this doesn't happen to you.  I know that the one thing I will need them to do for me this next time, is to have a wet washcloth on my head before they start (hopefully it will prevent my blood pressure from dropping).  I also don't currently have any problems with my blood pressure but for some reason, I just have these awful reactions.

Please keep us posted with your results and what the "next steps" are for you!

LotsaHugs! ~Carrie Tongue
Spicey View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spicey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2009 at 6:20am
Good luck today Cindy, I hope you get the answers that you want.  Make sure you take things easy for the rest of the day.  Big hugs! Spicey
41 yrs old, chronic pain for 20 years.
Decompression/stabilisation surgery with Dynesys Apr'04, revision with PLIF fusion Oct'08, SCS installed Apr'10. Injured neck in a stair fall in July '09.
Failed Back Surgery Sydrome & Fibromyalgia diagnosed 2011.
Mobility is poor & I use a wheelchair/scooter outside of the house. Also suffer from anxiety & depression.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
NATIONAL SUICIDE HELPLINES:

UK: 08457 909090 or http://www.samaritans.org

US: 1-800-273-TALK (8255) or http://www.crisisclinic.org

Canada: http://www.211canada.ca/what.php

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2009 at 12:22pm
Hey Honey,
Good luck today!!!! This test knowing you and how strong you are, should be a "piece of cake"!!! Love ya hun!!! Will talk to you later! Hug
Merlin View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2009 at 1:02pm
Yeah I know Millie

I had one - I thought my head would burst and kept asking the staff to take my blood pressure

I had a terrible thirst - I had a radio-active bone scan the day before the myleogram and I think that could have been part of the cause and because I needed to use the pan the night nurse took my water awayAngry

Cindy - I am sure it will be okay if you don't move your head but make sure your doctor writes up IM pain killers before the test just in case.

And let us know how it all goes

All the best of my good thoughts

Lin
(AEST 4.00 am)
Merlin
Severe Inoperable Lumbar Spinal Problems - both shoulders damaged
Important contacts
In Australia - Telephone Crisis Line - Life Line 131114
World Wide
For bereaved parents - The Compassionate Friends.
Tough Love Support - Families Anonymous - type their name into your browser and you will find chapters near you

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RottenBraten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2009 at 7:45am
Hi all!  As Millie said, I'm a tough cookie and the test was in fact a piece of cake for me.  Only downside for me was that they do NOT give you something to calm you down so when I felt myself getting overly anxious as I laid on the table waiting for them to start I just closed my eyes and concentrated on my breathing and within a few minutes felt my body begin to relax.  I honestly didn't feel any pain at all from the procedure.  Now today I'm hurting, I'm sure it's because of all the laying on my back, which as all of us spineys know if never a fun thing to do.  After the test, they didn't have films ready for me and my doctor insisted on old school films so I was released right away.  Pal brough me home, tucked me up to my chin with blankets :-) and put my cell, laptop and lots of snacks and water within reach.  He had to head back to work so he put my daughter Kayla on high alert to be ready and available if I needed her.  She was a good helper :-) I didn't ask for much but she did bring me fresh ice packs once and when it was time for dinner I had Pal and Kayla laying in the bed with me eating pizza. 
Lin, I typically don't react well to medicine and like you my BP drops quickly so I was anxious about having this done...but I really shouldn't have been, it went very well for me.  I had a mild headache last night but I don't think it was from the dye, I think it was from all the snacks I ate that say "may contain peanuts" which I'm allergic too :-)

Today I'm working from home (so yes Millie....still working for now) but I doubt I last all day, I'm really hurting and sitting at this desk may be too much for me to take today.  I'm hoping to have results this week, if I can get an appointment with the doctor.  Fingers crossed it's just inflammation and scar tissue that's ticked off.

Thank you all again for all the advice, and assistance...reading stuff on the internet was making me scared to have the test done...then I came here and you all reassured me (special thanks to Judy and Millie for your personal experiences).  You guys are the best!
xoxo
ALIF L5 S1 05/08/08

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RottenBraten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2009 at 7:52am
Oh I shouldn't say it didn't hurt at all- I did feel pain when the dye went in, I meant the needle itself didn't hurt.  I felt the pain down my left leg first then in my back, hip/butt area.  Nothing I couldn't handle though :-)
ALIF L5 S1 05/08/08

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinkerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2009 at 7:57am
Good to hear Rotten, now let's hope you get those test results very soon, and it's all that you mentioned hun.

Keep in touch and let us know!

Hugs
Donna
L4/L5 small bulge
DDD and osteoarthritis
2000 disc herniation L5-S1 had micro discectomy, failed. Right leg/foot numbness & sciatica. Permanent nerve damage in right leg/foot along with radiculopathy and neuropathic pain and Drop foot.

IN THE UK 0845790 90 90

Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2009 at 8:21am
Glad to hear that it went so well for you CindyThumbs%20Up

Please let us know as soon as you get the results back.  Hoping that it is just scar tissue and angry nerves.   Stevie

The information and articles provided on our website are designed to support, not replace the relationship between patients and physicians.

Spinal Fusions L5-S1 and L4-L5. Recent changes now with diagnosis of Lumbar Stenosis with neurogenic claudication. To have multi-levl posterior fusion with laminectomy and decompression of L2-3 L3-4 and fusion and revision of L4-5 L5-1 with instrumentation. Cervical DDD, stenosis, spondylosis, spondylolisthesis and facet arthropathy throughout cervical spine from C3-C7. Thoracic Spine: dextroconvex curvature of the thoracic spine, centered at approximately T8.(Scoliosis with 20 degree curve). At T7-8, a disc bulge. Degenerative disc disease T7-T9. Disc dessication from T3-T11.

IN THE UK 0845790 90 90

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RottenBraten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2009 at 8:28am
Thanks Stevie and Donna...my follow up is Friday afternoon...fingers crossed!
ALIF L5 S1 05/08/08

Merlin View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2009 at 9:38am
Rotten

I can hardly believe you are home from hospital already - did they keep you overnight?

I had to lie on my back for 24 hours so that meant I was there over night - and I was angry when the night nurse took my water away - I had a mammoth thirst I could not slake until the day nurse stood there and gave me 5 cups of sweet coffee in a row and held the cup while I drank from a straw

That's what I call a good nurse!!Star

I hope you are okay and that everything settles  - I know - just about anything is better than lying on your spine for longer than you want too

Argh - ouch- eeeeekkkkk (All Aussie Swear WordsCensored)

Let's know how it all goes - I will be watching to see -

Us spineys have our hell - I often feel I prefer the devil I know to other people's devils but other kinds of pain are not a consolation prize.

We all hurt

Hugz Sis
Lin
(AEST 12.45pm)
Merlin
Important contacts
World Wide
Tough Love Support - Families Anonymous - type their name into your browser and you will find chapters near you
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2009 at 1:46pm
Lin,
Here in the States an overnight hospital stay costs about $700 to $800 U.S., so unless you are already in-patient, this type of procedure is out patient. Of the 4 that I've had 2 were in-patient and 2 out-patient. You only have to be on your back for 4 hours for the contrast to get out of the spine, so as long as they have you lay flat for 4 hours, you are good to go!
All of the ones that I had done was a four hour laying down, and then up and go home. The last one was 4 hours get up and have some delicious hospital food!

And actually, I am not been sarcastic about the hospital food........ I don't know if is only in Miami, but we have the best! hospital food here! Big%20smile

Millie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RottenBraten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2009 at 2:04pm
I went directly from CT to home, no recovery laying down at all.  My procedure was scheduled for 8:30am and I was home by 10am.  I was a little surprised but it was better to be home anyway.  Sore today but I'm up and about (only worked half a day today from home)
ALIF L5 S1 05/08/08

Spicey View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spicey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2009 at 5:40pm
Hey Cindy,
I'm glad you managed to get some work done at home today. I know how much you want to keep going as normal!  Good luck for friday - I'm really interested to hear what your results are.  I'm keeping a close eye on your progress as we were surgery buddies after all

Take it as easy as you can the next couple of days and I hope things settle down soon.  Big hugs, Spicey
Decompression/stabilisation surgery with Dynesys Apr'04, revision with PLIF fusion Oct'08, SCS installed Apr'10. Injured neck in a stair fall in July '09.
Mobility is poor & I use a wheelchair/scooter outside of the house. Also suffer from anxiety & depression.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinkerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2009 at 6:42pm
Fingers crossed sweetie, thinking positive!!
L4/L5 small bulge
DDD and osteoarthritis

IN THE UK 0845790 90 90

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2009 at 8:09pm
My Girl!
I have my fingers, my toes, my eyes, everything cross for you on Friday! Is OK to work from home, but take of yourself first, OK???? Don't do too much! Ok, will keep the prayers going for you.

Hugs,

Millie Hug
Merlin View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2009 at 8:43pm
Thanks for that info Millie

When I first injured my spine I was put into hospital for emergency tests and I had private insurance

The cost - yes - I was employed at the time I injured my spine - not at work though - but because I was paying tax I had to pay the gap between the medicare claims and the tests even though I never worked again

But I was in hospital for about 10 days and that took my savings

I am not a fan of medical insurance now but with Chronic Pain Syndrome I am better off in the public system.

And when I had my MRI in 1996 - there were only two MRI machines in this State - and I had to wait months to go public so I went private   - it cost $400.00 then and there was no item number to claim so I had to borrow the money

But they kept me on my back for 24 hours - and I had a sticker on my bed and my chart with one of those horrible black and yellow HAZMAT stickers on - I was literally radio-active and one nurse could not come near me because she was pregnant and another one was trying

That's a bad feeling - I felt like putting my finger under my nose and crying "Unclean - Unclean" as lepers were once required to doDead

Tests - ugh - they are worse that the disease

Lin
(AEST 11.45 am)
Merlin
Important contacts
World Wide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RottenBraten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2009 at 7:08pm
Okay, Pal picked up my films and report today and here's the gist of it (looks like my SI joints are not the issue like the doctor thought)...oh that's not in the impressions but was in the report as well as "other discs look normal" yay!!!  Not sure any of this is helpful for my case....maybe I am just a wimp :-(

Impressions:

1. There is some loss of height at the L5/S1 disc spare where a disc-insert has been placed.  Some of the disc-insert material has extruded anteriorly about 8mm beyond the edge of the disc space. However, there is also evidence of bony fusion between portions of the adjacent end plates at L5/S1.  Pedicle screws appear well situated.  The left S1 nerve root sleeve is less well opactified with contrast medium then the right and there is some left posterior end plate spur formation noted.

2.  The L5/S1 neural foramina are mildly narrowed bilaterally.

3.  No disc herniation is seen.
ALIF L5 S1 05/08/08

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2009 at 8:41pm
HugCindy,
The only part of that report that I've seen before, is the part were it says "some of the disc-insert material has extruded anteriorly about 8mm, etc......."  The reason that I've seen that before is because of my own Myelo's and MRI's inmmediatley after my 1st spinal fusion started to failed and the cadaver bone started to extrude or protrude from my disc spaces into my spinal canal and causing the horrible pain and 3 more Laminectomies.

Honey, I know that this is a new Doctor and it sounds like he is a good one, so I hope that Friday he will explain to you exactly what these means and what the other issues are, but that one part I've heard and seen before.

Hugs,

Millie
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2009 at 9:26pm

Cindy---

I just lost a very long post to you, so I am sorry and will make this shorter.

Honey, we are talking about one level, correct?  L5-S1?

I see very little on that report.  It tells not much of anything.  The thing that I do not like is the "loss of height".  Well, hello----that is fine if it is not impinging on nerves. 

You will let us know what the surgeon says when you see him.

In the meantime I want you to know that I really feel that you should not be having to deal with this.  It really makes me upset.  I do believe that someone can fix this for you. 

L5-S1 was my first level to fail.  It was fused with just bone from my Iliac crest----some 25 years ago.  Damn, it worked.  I think that this can be fixed for you too.  Hugs, Stevie

IN THE UK 0845790 90 90
imchunks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imchunks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2009 at 10:57pm
Cindy,

I am glad that you got your report and I hope that your doctor can explain it to you at your next appointment.  It is always frustrating to me when I read these reports and can't make heads or tails of what it is really saying.  However, I hope that you can figure out what is causing the pain and get it fixed pronto.

Take care and let us know what you find out about the report.

Judy

LUMBAR: lumbar herniated disc almost all non-surgical treatments available have been tried. (5) laminectomies on lumbar spine 1982-2001, Failed fusion of L4 L5 in April, 2005; Spinal Cord Stimulator (SCS) March,2007
CERVICAL: Cervical herniated disc, Anterior cervical discectomy & fusion (ACDF C5-7)November, 2007
OTHER ISSUES: DDD, Polyneuropathy, Occipital Neuralgia, Rotator Cuff Tendinitis, Carpal Tunnel, High Blood Pressure, Hardening of the Arteries.
NERVE DAMAGE: Bilateral Peroneal, Tibial and Sural Nerves of lower legs, feet and ankles (damage caused by previous back surgeries).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RottenBraten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2009 at 6:54am
Thanks everyone, to me it doesn't look like they found much of anything.  Which makes me happy and sad all at once.  :-(  The report had more on it but I just put the "impressions" above.  I was at least happy to see that my other discs look good for now!  Always a silver lining!
ALIF L5 S1 05/08/08

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RottenBraten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2009 at 9:48am
...though I have to admit Millie's comment scared me a bit Ouch

Edited by RottenBraten - Aug/20/2009 at 9:50am
ALIF L5 S1 05/08/08

JulieA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JulieA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2009 at 10:13am

I have to agree the "8mm" thing is significant.

Hang in there,

Julie
MRI 12/07 L4-5 Herniated w/Nerve Impingment. L5/S1 Posterior Central Protrusions- indents @Thecal Sac. L4/S1 Moderate Facet Anthropy. 6/08 MRI and Flexion Extension Xrays- revealed grade 3 Retrolisthesis L5/S1, Spondy L4>>>> L4-S1 PLIF

New issues Cervical May 2009 Happy Happy Joy Joy
Spicey View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spicey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2009 at 3:13pm
Hey Cindy,

That 8mm thing sounds like a lot, but it all depends on where it's protruding.  Try not to panic just yet until you have spoken to him in person.  As Stevie said, just because there is some loss of height, it doesn't necessarily mean that things are failing.  It's good news that there are signs of fusion, and fantastic news that the other discs are looking fine

Stay strong and calm until you speak to your surgeon tomorrow.  Until then, big hugs! Spicey Hug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RottenBraten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2009 at 7:18am
Thanks Spicey~ I'm calm, cool and ready to hear the news...good, bad or ugly.  I just wish it was my original surgeon because he knows my history, but then again...he really wasn't doing any further testing to find out what was wrong.  I can't imagine what it's like for a new doctor coming in with fresh eyes and not knowing my history...guess I'll find out this afternoon.

xoxo
ALIF L5 S1 05/08/08

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2009 at 7:44am

GM Rotten!

You know what? Stevie always says that sometimes giving a new surgeon or a "new set of eyes" the opportunity to see what the situation is, could be a really good thing. It was a good thing with me! Remember after I fired my 1st surgeon??? My second one, saw things in a different light and was able to help me just the same....... So I will say that a new set of eyes is a good thing in your case!

Your old surgeon was given enough chances and he got stale and he didn't want to do anything else because he thought that you were not going to improve anymore and he just washed his hands and said "Que sera, sera", and I don't think that this should be that way!

So I am glad that you got that other fresh set of eyes looking at you and hopefully been able to help you and take your pain away!!

Millie Hug
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2009 at 8:24am
Hey Cindy---

Good luck today.  Millie is right.  I honestly like to have another opinion, and he actually doesn't need to know much about what happened in the past as this CT and Myelogram, along with your symptoms will tell him a lot.  Of course, you have already told him about your prior surgeries and the MRSA scare?

"WE" look at those reports and read what the radiologist sees, but you know that surgeons never look at the reports-----they look at the films themselves and form their own opinions.

I am so looking forward to hearing back from you today.  Ok honey---take care and we will talk to you later.   Stevie

IN THE UK 0845790 90 90
TKDmomOF3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TKDmomOF3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2009 at 8:55am
Cindy,
Good luck at the docs today.  I'll be checking in to see what he says. 
Anna
Injured 9/06 herniated L5-S1,2/07 Micro-D;disk colapsed,Discogram 4/08**Surgery:360 fusion w/ hardware L5-S1 on 5/12/08** Had a SCS 7/2009, was great while it lasted, removed 4/2011, the lead moved. Tapered off pain meds 5/2011...8 months later the pain had gotten so high, I slowly went back on fentynal patch with norco for breakthrough. Out of work sinc 11/1/10.

"If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of." -- Bruce Lee
imchunks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imchunks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2009 at 9:51am
Cindy,

I am sure that you are already gone for your appointment.  I hope that you find the answers you need.  I will be looking for your update later today.

Take care,
Judy

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2009 at 10:27am
HeartCindy,
I am seating here in pins and needles waiting for your post-appointment report! And Stevie again, is sooooooooooo right! I've never seen any of my Doc's look at the Radiology report! They look at the disc or the films and they go from there, the first time that this happen to me I was like, "why do they bother to send a report with the films if the Doc could care less about it???" LOL They should just save some trees and save the paper report, right??!

Anyway's hun, I am waiting for you to post, I hope that everything goes well.

Love,
Millie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RottenBraten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2009 at 1:53pm
Thank you all for the well wishes, I'm some where between relieved and bummed right now.  They still don't know what's wrong.  They are scheduling me for sacroiliac joint injections soon and hope that's the ticket.  The doctor said the films shown unusal bony spurs and the height issue but he said neither should be causing my pain.  If the injections don't work then next us we'll be numbing my hardwear via an injection similar to epidural injections to see if I have any pain relief...if so then the hardware has to go.

So there we are...I'm still in pain and still have no clue why...but good news is ...I'm one fused woman..so I will be thankful for that for now :-)
ALIF L5 S1 05/08/08

Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2009 at 2:16pm
Cindy---

I remember back a few years ago when I had a real flare up (for an unknown reason) and it was also suggested that I have my hardware injected.   I never had to do it because things calmed down, but at least this is an option for you if the sacroiliac joint injections don't do the job.  And you know, they just might.  With all of the pain and the hip pain you have had, I wonder if some of that has been referred from those joints?

Thank goodness that you are fusedThumbs%20Up  That in and of itself is wonderful.

So, let's all keep everything crossed for you that the injections work, and if not maybe the hardware will need to go.  KatMary had hers out and so did Bunnyflops.  Most of us just live with it for the rest of our lives, but sometimes it needs to go.

At least you weren't just dismissed and told to go home and live with it.  So, I feel as if you have a surgeon who really wants to work with you and get you well.  Cheers honey.  Stevie

IN THE UK 0845790 90 90
imchunks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imchunks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2009 at 3:44pm
Cindy,

I understand the mixed feelings, but I totally agree with Stevie.  You have a doctor that is going to work with you and not just send you home and say there isn't anything they can do to help you.

Did he give you any idea how soon the injection might happen?  I hope it is very soon so you don't have to continue to be in pain.

Take care and have a good weekend (if you can),
Judy

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2009 at 3:47pm
Cindy,
I am so relief that you have a new Doctor! A new Doctor that is not dismissing your pain and that is got a plan of action to see why you are in this much pain. I hope that the Sacroiliac Injections work for you, and if they don't, get the instrumentation out and see if that gives you the life free of pain that you deserve so much!

You are so lucky, to be already fuse. So honey, get your shots scheduled, if not plan B! Again, I am so glad that you a good Doctor that is listening to you instead of giving you the run around!!! ClapClapClapClap

Hugs,

Millie Hug
Spicey View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spicey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2009 at 8:21am
Hey Cindy,

I totally understand that you have mixed feeling about this outcome. It is so frustrating when you don't know exactly why you are still hurting, but at least this surgeon is helping you to find a solution which is great.  I hope the SI joint injections help things to calm down, but if not, that hardware freezing is a good thing too.  I know it's scary thinking about yet another surgery, but if it takes away this pain it will be well worth it.

Keep us posted honey.  Big hugs, Spicey Hug

Post Reply Post Reply