Donate

Chiropractic and the Graston Technique

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chiropractic and the Graston Technique
    Posted: Sep/16/2010 at 5:24pm
As many of you are aware, two years ago when we started this website, we began looking for alternative therapies to help those of us with chronic, inoperable pain, or pain that never resolved or was made worse by some surgeries.

As time has evolved, and we see more and more members seeking relief from pain, and not being managed well by traditional methods, we have continued to seek out other areas of medicine and new treatment modalities.

My medical background and training frowned upon the field of Chiropractic as there were a large percentage of Chiropractors who concentrated on manipulation of the spine, which may be contraindicated in people who have had back surgeries, particularly with instrumentation.

However, times have changed and so has the practice of Chiropractic. As many of you know, I have seemingly run the gamut of treatment options and don't do well on most pain medications.

We recently have been very excited to have Jeff Barone, D.C., join us as a Medical Advisor.  Dr. Barone wrote this article about Chiropractic and the  Graston Technique.  http://chronicpainsite.com/mb/Articles/view.asp?ID=106

I have recently started this technique with Dr. Barone, and have already noticed improvement in my neck, shoulders and thoracic pain.  I will keep my progress documented here and let you all know how it goes.   Stevie

PS--If any of you have any questions for Dr. Barone regarding this technique, or other areas of Chiropractic, and how it may benefit your particular pain issues, please let us know.

Please donate to help Chronicpainsite.com continue to help others.

The information and articles provided on our website are designed to support, not replace the relationship between patients and physicians.

Spinal Fusions L5-S1 and L4-L5. Recent changes now with diagnosis of Lumbar Stenosis with neurogenic claudication. To have multi-levl posterior fusion with laminectomy and decompression of L2-3 L3-4 and fusion and revision of L4-5 L5-1 with instrumentation. Cervical DDD, stenosis, spondylosis, spondylolisthesis and facet arthropathy throughout cervical spine from C3-C7. Thoracic Spine: dextroconvex curvature of the thoracic spine, centered at approximately T8.(Scoliosis with 20 degree curve). At T7-8, a disc bulge. Degenerative disc disease T7-T9. Disc dessication from T3-T11.

NATIONAL SUICIDE HELPLINE 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
http://www.crisisclinic.org/
IN THE UK 0845790 90 90
http://www.samaritans.org/
Sponsored Links

Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2010 at 3:59pm
I have now had three sessions with Dr. Barone using the Graston Technique, and wanted to let you know how this is working for me.

The procedure uses stainless steel instruments which are brushed/ combed over areas of the body that have been injured by RSI (repetitive stress injuries--a term that includes many different conditions that lead to the production of scar tissue).  The objective of the Graston technique is to cause a small amount of inflammation that will break down the scar tissue and promote healing.  For a far more detailed look at the technique here is a link to Dr. Barone's website.  Click on "featured article"http://www.drbaronechiropractic.com/

The procedure is painless ( for me it has been), and feels much like a massage with some mild heat build up.  We have used this on my neck and shoulders and my thoracic area.  After the first treatment, I had quite a lot of muscle soreness that felt as if I had worked out farily hard.  By the second day, I had no further soreness from the procedure, and felt better able to move my head and neck. 

Following the second treatment, I started using ice as soon as I got home---15 minutes on and an hour off for the afternoon.  I had very little discomfort. By the next day,  I  was able to swim with a longer stroke as I felt that the restrictions in the muscles in my shoulders and upper back were much less.

Today, after treatment number three,  I once again have not experienced any discomfort and have been using ice.  I have never had any bruising or redness.  I would say that my pain levels have been reduced over the past week, as I have been able to cut down on pain medication.

My biggest problem is doing "too much" when I have felt better and over-stressing muscles that have been "under used" over the past few years.  Dr. Barone encourages as much activity as possible, so I am trying to find that "fine line".

I have another treatment this week, so we will see how I progress and will update here next Monday.  But so far, so good.  I am very encouraged as we all are when we find something that helps us, and I wanted to share this with you.  Stevie

The information and articles provided on our website are designed to support, not replace the relationship between patients and physicians.

Spinal Fusions L5-S1 and L4-L5. Recent changes now with diagnosis of Lumbar Stenosis with neurogenic claudication. To have multi-levl posterior fusion with laminectomy and decompression of L2-3 L3-4 and fusion and revision of L4-5 L5-1 with instrumentation. Cervical DDD, stenosis, spondylosis, spondylolisthesis and facet arthropathy throughout cervical spine from C3-C7. Thoracic Spine: dextroconvex curvature of the thoracic spine, centered at approximately T8.(Scoliosis with 20 degree curve). At T7-8, a disc bulge. Degenerative disc disease T7-T9. Disc dessication from T3-T11.

IN THE UK 0845790 90 90
tkay View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2013/2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2010 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by Stevie Stevie wrote:

My biggest problem is doing "too much" when I have felt better and over-stressing muscles that have been "under used" over the past few years.  Dr. Barone encourages as much activity as possible, so I am trying to find that "fine line". 

hi Stevie, it is great to hear how the Chiropractic treatments are going with the Graston Technique.

I understand what you are saying about doing too much when you have felt better. It truly is a fine line of doing something without doing too much (I saw many of our patients come into our clinic that overdid on a weekend). It is one of those things to feel so good and know that things can get done. I guess turning up our attention when we feel that way is a good idea so that we don't push past the feeling of needing to stop when working and doing things.

Spicey View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spicey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2010 at 4:45pm
How did your latest treatment go Stevie? It's looking like an impressive result so far
41 yrs old, chronic pain for 20 years.
Decompression/stabilisation surgery with Dynesys Apr'04, revision with PLIF fusion Oct'08, SCS installed Apr'10. Injured neck in a stair fall in July '09.
Failed Back Surgery Sydrome & Fibromyalgia diagnosed 2011.
Mobility is poor & I use a wheelchair/scooter outside of the house. Also suffer from anxiety & depression.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
NATIONAL SUICIDE HELPLINES:

UK: 08457 909090 or http://www.samaritans.org

US: 1-800-273-TALK (8255) or http://www.crisisclinic.org

Canada: http://www.211canada.ca/what.php

Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2010 at 4:55pm
Thank you Tammie and Spicey,

I can see a difference after three treatments.  I have more flexibility and range of motion.

Tomorrow is number four and will post later in the week.  I am very encouragedThumbs Up

IN THE UK 0845790 90 90
tkay View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2010 at 6:17pm
Does your Chiropractor have you coming in everyday for a period of time? Just wondered.
I have had times where I saw a chiropractor many times a week til things finally got under control.
sara1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sara1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2010 at 12:44am
I'm glad this treatment is helping you Stevie. I think I'm going to find a Chiropractor who used this where I live. I have $350. left to use Chiropractor this year and hopefully that is enough to get this treatment. I was adjusted in my neck years ago and this Chiro never told me he was going to crack my neck and it was the worst scariest thing ever for me so it turned me off any adjustments so I want to see how this works. Thanks for introducing me to this Graston Technique and Dr. Barone's article. I hope the adjustments continue to help with your flexibility and pain relief. Take care. Sara
DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing Neck-reverse Lordosis of c-spine C6-C7 with impingement, numb hand and sore outer elbow. Bursitis to both knees. RN
Rocken Roni View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocken Roni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2010 at 12:54am
Yes Stevie, keep us posted on how you are coming along.
I'm so happy about you having positive results.
Roni.

Until one has felt the Love of an animal,
a part of their Soul remains Unawakened.

Unknown

1st injured Feb, 1997. Was told it was "Soft Tissue" and sent back to work - no X-rays
Late 1997 attended 1st Rehab Program to strengthen back. Mid 98 PCP took me off work. Tried going back to work over the next couple years, mostly off work due to pain.
June 2000, met with OS for first time. Did MRI , damage was L5-S1 totally blown out. Surgery done Jan, 2001.
Another Rehab program late 2001, attempted to go back to work early 2002. Slipped on water, fell flat on back screw fusion broke.
Went to 3rd Rehab program summer 2002.
Oct 2003 - 2nd Surgery, due to broken screw, had to operate from the front.
No improvement. Attended 4th Rehab program in 2004, at time It was decided NO work.
March 2006, had 3rd Surgery, this time fusion and instrumentation from Si to L3.
June 2008 Surgeon finally admitted I had Failed Back Surgery.
August 2009 WCB Finally put me on Long Term Disability
Duckie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duckie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2010 at 1:02am
Stevie glad something is giving you relief and so glad to hear you are doing better.

I do the exact same with when I feel better I try to jam everything I need to get done in while I feel good and set myself back.
take it slow and enjoy each and every minute of the relief
Jodi.
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2010 at 9:17am
Originally posted by tkay tkay wrote:

Does your Chiropractor have you coming in everyday for a period of time? Just wondered.
I have had times where I saw a chiropractor many times a week til things finally got under control.

tkay--

Dr. Barone adjusts treatments based upon the individual.  I have gone in twice a week for the past two weeks for the Graston therapy.  He said that he likes to have at least two days between treatments.  I think that we will go to once a week when he feels it is appropriate and see how things are going.

I have had three years of cervical and two years of thoracic problems so I sure don't expect over night miracles, and as with anything, it isn't only the treatments, I have to continue to swim and be as active as possible for this to help me. 

Sara, I have never had Chiropractic treatment prior to this.  (Well, only one appointment with another physician, but he didn't offer this technique).  Dr. Barone has done very gentle manipulation on my neck and thoracic spine, but he doesn't "crack" my neck.  I can only speak for my experience with him, but I can understand how you must have felt.

IN THE UK 0845790 90 90
DrBaroneDC View Drop Down
Medical Advisor
Medical Advisor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrBaroneDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2010 at 2:29pm
if anyone has questions regarding Graston treatments or chiropractic in general, feel free to contact me. Chiropractic is a very diverse profession and there are many different treatment styles out there. I may be able to point you in the right direction as to what you should look for when finding a good chiropractor to help with your particular symptoms.
7468 North La Cholla Blvd
Tucson, AZ 85741
(520) 297-9664
(520) 261-2322
http://www.DrBaroneChiropractic.com
Spicey View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spicey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2010 at 4:21pm
Thank you for that Dr. Barone. I know I'm not alone when I say that I've been "burned" in the past with certain techniques... Dead  The guy who I started seeing earlier this year uses the Koren Specific Technique and that's much more up my street than being bent into odd shapes and "cracked"!!

It's great having you with us here at CPS

Thanks again, Spicey
Decompression/stabilisation surgery with Dynesys Apr'04, revision with PLIF fusion Oct'08, SCS installed Apr'10. Injured neck in a stair fall in July '09.
Mobility is poor & I use a wheelchair/scooter outside of the house. Also suffer from anxiety & depression.

Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2010 at 4:28pm
Thank you Dr. Barone,

I need to do an update since my last treatment with Dr. Barone and the Graston Technique on Wednesday afternoon.  Oh, and very gentle manipulation of my neck (NO twisting or cracking), and thoracic spine.

Yesterday, Becca my massage therapist who has been working with me for years came for the first time since we started this.  She said that she could feel a definite difference in the connective tissue in my back.  Not as "gummed up"---I know--not a technical term, but a good descriptive term.

Yesterday afternoon I was a bit sore and had some lumbar pain which was still with me early this morning.  I did the ice and used a Lidoderm patch. It has pretty much resolved.

I had a hair appointment this afternoon and spent two hours sitting up and having to put my head up and down, back and forth---and realized on the way home that this was the first hair appointment I have had in a very long time that I wasn't miserable by the time I was done.Big smile

I am going to be having one treatment a week now to see how that works.  I have to say that I am very, very encouraged.  No, I am not pain free, but I am a lot better than I was a few weeks ago. This is another treatment modality to add to my exercise program and massage therapy. So please if anyone is interested in this, and has any questions do contact me or Dr. Barone.   Stevie

IN THE UK 0845790 90 90
tkay View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2010 at 10:23pm
Thumbs Up Thumbs up to Graston Technique! Congrats Stevie that your pain is less and that you are finding this helpful to you.
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocken Roni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2010 at 2:33am
Wow Stevie, thats amazing how this is working for you.
This is really going to help you when your on those trips
to Canada. Dr Barone will be able to relax you after a
long flight or drive. I'm wondering if for some reason
you can't get to your regular appointments for awhile,
Is there something you can do to help stay loosened up?

Ronnie

Unknown

1st injured Feb, 1997. Was told it was "Soft Tissue" and sent back to work - no X-rays
Late 1997 attended 1st Rehab Program to strengthen back. Mid 98 PCP took me off work. Tried going back to work over the next couple years, mostly off work due to pain.
June 2000, met with OS for first time. Did MRI , damage was L5-S1 totally blown out. Surgery done Jan, 2001.
Another Rehab program late 2001, attempted to go back to work early 2002. Slipped on water, fell flat on back screw fusion broke.
No improvement. Attended 4th Rehab program in 2004, at time It was decided NO work.
March 2006, had 3rd Surgery, this time fusion and instrumentation from Si to L3.
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2010 at 2:23pm
Thanks Everyone!!

I did well for the 5 day period between last Wednesday's treatments and today, although my neck and shoulders hurt this morning when I went back for this week's therapy.  So, Dr. Barone did a lot of work on those areas and I am home now icing.  Today will be a limited computer day as typing tenses up those muscles.

I am still very encouraged.  We are going to wait now for 8 days to see how far we can go spacing out the Graston procedures. I know that my back has responded well as I am able to do more around the house, for longer periods before resting.

Remember, if anyone has any questions regarding this or any other Chiropractic treatments please do contact Dr. Barone as he will help point you in the right direction, if possible, to find someone who can help you.   Stevie

IN THE UK 0845790 90 90
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/28/2010 at 2:43pm
I wanted to report that my neck and shoulders that were so sore yesterday responded beautifully to the Graston Technique overnight.  I honestly feel like a different person today.  I am going to limit my typing time and stay as active as possible (I did swim today--they got the pool fixed).

Anyhow, it is always nice to be able to come here with positive feedback, and wanted to share it.  Stevie

IN THE UK 0845790 90 90
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocken Roni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2010 at 1:13am
It's great Stevie that you are feeling better and can do more,
but don't over do it.  Smile !!
This Graston Technique sounds like it is working well for you.
I'm wondering if I should look into this.
Gentle Hugs Stevie  Hug  Hug  Hug  Hug 

Roni :):)

Unknown

Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2010 at 8:18am
Ronnie--

To me, what is encouraging is that there ARE things out there for us that we can try, and in the hands of capable Dr's may help us.  The Graston Technique is helping me---it breaks down scar tissue that we form from injuries and scar tissue causes multitudes of painful problems.

Something else that is encouraging is cold laser therapy, and Dr. Barone did a short piece on that in another member's thread that we have in the Article's Section:http://chronicpainsite.com/mb/Articles/view.asp?ID=110

It is our goal to find alternative therapies, used properly by very good health care professionals.  There is no magic bullet----but when combined with life style changes, exercise, good nutrition and more---we can learn to function at a higher level and with hopefully fewer pain medications.  That is what we are all aiming for---to live our best lives and to take charge of the pain.

I would only say that the treatments need to be done by qualified professionals who are well trained, so do your homework and don't go to just anyone who says that they offer these procedures.

IN THE UK 0845790 90 90
tkay View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2010 at 9:57am
Stevie, it is great to hear your positive reports on the treatments you receive from Dr. Barone.

In fact all alternative therapies that receive positive outcomes need to be reported. :0)

Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2010 at 3:21pm
Hi All,

I returned to Dr. Barone again today for more therapy.  A combination of manipulation (NO cracking of my neck---it felt wonderful; some gentle thoracic manipulation; the Graston Technique on my thoracic, cervical and shoulder areas; and also for the first time, cold laser therapy on my neck.  Here is a short description about cold laser therapy: http://chronicpainsite.com/mb/Articles/view.asp?ID=110

I am continuing to make progress.  I would say that in the past 9 days I have only had two days that I felt were "bad days".  I attribute them to attempting to decrease my Lyrica from 50mg to 25mg one afternoon, and the other bad day to flat out overdoing it.

In addition to seeing Dr. Barone, (now more infrequently as I am making progress),  I also must keep on with my swimming, seeing my massage therapist every two weeks, some pain meds as needed, and I have added for anti-inflammatory help fish oil supplements and Bromelain (pineapple extract).

So we have spaced out the treatments now from twice a week for the first two weeks, to once a week and have scheduled the next appointment for almost two weeks from now.

I felt that it is important to let everyone know that we can never stop searching for alternative treatments that may well help us---never cause harm.  I hope that this will help someone else reading here to remember that we never give up!!!

IN THE UK 0845790 90 90
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocken Roni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2010 at 2:36am
Hi Stevie, I just read the Laser article by Dr Barone. I am
still lost on how this laser works on our problem areas.
I'm wondering if a person feels anything as their being
worked on? How does it actually work to  help us? I'm
not so sure I'm getting my thought across.  Confused.

Unknown

tkay View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2010 at 5:30am
Those are thoughtful questions Roni.
It sure would be nice not to feel anything during a procedure wouldn't it?
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2010 at 10:09am
Ronnie--

Very good questions, and if I don't explain this well enough, I am sure that Dr. Barone will help me out.

First of all, I felt nothing at all except a very slight sense of warmth.  That was all.  I also had good pain relief in my neck and shoulders which were sore when I went into the office, and are generally sore for several hour after the Graston Technique.  Yesterday I didn't even need to ice the area, so I feel that the laser did help with my pain, and my neck and shoulders feel quite good this morning.

The laser works by increasing the production of ATP (Adenosine triphospate) which is in our cells and transports chemical energy within the cells for metabolism.  So by increasing the production of ATP, the cells have more energy to regain normal functioning.

It also increases the blood flow to the tissues which brings more oxygen to the cells.

I hope that this makes sense, and if anyone has any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask, and Dr. Barone will answer them. 

IN THE UK 0845790 90 90
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocken Roni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/07/2010 at 2:08am
Thanks Stevie, I think I'm beginning to understand. What does
this instrument look like?

Unknown

Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/07/2010 at 7:18am
Ronnie,

I will try to remember to get a picture of it next time I go and post it hereBig smile

IN THE UK 0845790 90 90
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2010 at 5:11pm
A quick update on how I am doing as I saw Dr. Barone this morning.

I think that the biggest overall improvement since I started treatments ( last month)  is that I am having less thoracic  pain.  When we began, I had a hard time standing in the kitchen for even 10 minutes trying to prepare a meal before I got what I called the "ice pick in the middle of my back" syndrome.  I would say now, that on a good day, I can spend about 30 minutes up before I need to lie down and rest.  That to me is a huge improvement.

Becca, my massage therapist was here 4 days ago, and commented that my back feels totally different to her and she and I have been working together for 3 years.  I also have had a couple of times where I was able to turn my upper back around (as in trying to back out of a parking space) and felt and heard a painless popping noise.  This is really good news as the adhesions (scar tissue) in that part of my spine are loosening up and allowing my vertebrae to move---for the first time in a very long time.

We need to work more on my neck and shoulders (an ongoing problem) and much of that is going to come from me doing more strengthening exercises to increase those muscles.

At this point, I believe that I will be alternating treatments with Dr. Barone and with Becca.  Continue swimming.  But I wanted to let you all know that things are continuing to progress and that I continue to be encouraged.

Oh, I am sorry that I forgot to get pictures of the cold laser equipment.  Will try to do that when I return in two weeks.  Thanks everyone for your support and as always please don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have for me or for Dr. Barone.  Stevie

IN THE UK 0845790 90 90
tkay View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2010 at 6:08pm
HI Stevie. You are seeing results of  diligent work from your D.C., massage therapist, and your tenacity in making sure to swim and keep your app'ts. hats off to all you have done to get to the point of being to turn in your driver's seat to see behind your car!
Spicey View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spicey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2010 at 7:46am
Hi Stevie, and thank you for the update. This so encouraging and I can't imagine how pleased you must be with the improvements you have seen so far.  Let's hope we can get you popping all the way up your back!  It just goes to show that we never know what is around the corner and that there is always hope of new treatment that will help as long we are prepared to put the work in ourselves too.

Please keep us posted with your progess.  Big hugs,

Spicey Hug

Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2010 at 2:45pm
Hi Everyone,

Here with a quick update.  It has been two weeks since I saw Dr. Barone, and was very happy to see him this morning.  My neck and shoulder pain have flared badly the past few days, and I was more than ready to have a treatment as I always feel better after wards.

On a good note, he had ordered a scoliosis film to check on any progression and there isn't any worseningThumbs Up

I feel that this flare up has been from typing too much.  I am sure that any of you with cervical pain understand the pressure on neck and shoulders, even when we try to keep our arms down and in a neutral position.

I am going to be looking at a voice recognition program (Dragon) when I go to Canada, and have Sysop help me with it.  Dr. Barone thinks it is an excellent idea, but says that they require work and patience to learn to use (patience isn't my middle nameEmbarrassed), but I am pretty desperate so as with everything we all do, we have to keep plugging away and reach out for anything that makes life better. 

So, will be continuing to post on the Graston Technique of which I am a huge believer, and how I make our learning to use the voice recognition software.  Stevie

IN THE UK 0845790 90 90
tkay View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2010 at 3:01pm
Stevie.
I am glad to hear the scoliosis has not progressed. That is progress. Geek (<--me in my smart glasses) Yes I know what it is like to type with neck problems. yikes.

Let us know how the software works out for you. I am sure you will get the hang of it.

My dr. uses a voice recognition software program for his patient charting that he does. It is interesting watching the computer put the stuff on the screen. My therapist has a laptop that has a writing recognition program on it.

Anyway, have a great trip to Canada, enjoy your time there. Be sure to take lots of warm clothes cause it is cold now.
Spicey View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spicey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2010 at 5:45pm
Stevie, I have a blind friend who uses voice-recognition software and also does testing for companies who produce this kind of software. If you like I can ask him if he's had any experience with Dragon and see if he has any pointers for you. Let me know and I can put you guys in touch.

Spicey

Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2010 at 8:07pm
I need to do a quick update on the Graston Technique and my feelings on how it has worked for me.

Honestly, when I went into this back in September, I was the most skeptical person around.  I was hopeful, but my expectations were minimal.  I can tell you that I am now a believer---for me.

This is something that breaks down adhesions /scar tissue that happens when injury occurs to our bodies.  That may mean surgery---can mean repetitive chronic pain problems.  In my case, you can read my problems at the bottom of my signature.  My main issues are my neck and my thoracic area.  Chronic inflammatory problems.

I was swimming every day prior to starting this and having deep tissue massage.  I was still in pain too much for being as active as I was.  I met Dr. Barone through this site, and how lucky do we get?  I keep preaching that we never know--here is proof positive.

This treatment has helped me a lot.  Am I pain free? No.  Am I off pain medications? No.  But, I am better.  At least 30%, maybe more.  That in my book is tremendous as I was told by one surgeon who offered to do two major surgeries on my neck that was all he could offer 50%.  I will take the Graston technique any day over that.

In addition, my husband who had rotator cuff surgery a year ago, started to have pain in his shoulder.  He had Dr Barone do the Grason Technique on him one time and he also has simple exercises to follow.  He is much better.  Playing again.

I am not claiming a cure for all here.  Far from it.  Just something that is helping me and I will continue.  Oh, and not everyone who claims that they are licensed in this is good.  We have seen some practioner's who have bruised people and made the pain worse.  So, as with anything, you must do your homework, find someone good, and if there is excessive bruising or pain after the procedure, let them know to back off.

I did have increased pain after the first several treatments which I treated with ice.  I no longer have any pain after wards.  Only seemingly long lasting results.

Again.  This is a personal experience.  I am NOT pain free, and I still need pain medication.  But, I am better and I need less medication and I am feeling that there is something out there that we need to try--------never give up.  We just don't know what will work for us.  Stevie

IN THE UK 0845790 90 90
Spicey View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spicey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2010 at 7:16am
Stevie, I know how much you've been struggling with your worsening pain and this is such a great result for you. I'm so pleased that this has been helping you - as you said, we just don't know what's around the corner

jparsons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jparsons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2010 at 11:21am
Hi everyone
(first posting)
I use the Koren Specific Technique which is a gentle low force chiropractic method (there are lots of videos on youtube demonstrating this).
I came to chiropractic after a failed fusion op for spondyololisthesis so manipulation was never an option for me.
I also use gentle soft tissue tehniques such as taught by Thomas Griner and Brian Bronk (also on youtube). All these methods are available all over the USA (and to a lesser extent in UK, etc.) I only use what worked for me!

love and health
John

John Parsons , doctor of chiropractic,  NW England

John
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2010 at 3:38pm
Thank you Dr. Parsons,

I admire your use of procedures that you would only use on yourself---and what has worked for you.  That is a really good testimonial.

I was wondering if the soft tissue techniques that you mentioned as taught by Thomas Griner and  Brian Bronk break up adhesions as the Graston Technique does?  We are always looking for safe and effective alternative treatment options for our members.

Thanks again, Stevie

IN THE UK 0845790 90 90
Spicey View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spicey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2010 at 6:05pm
Stevie,

Dr Parsons is the Chiropractor I was seeing last year for help with my neck   This technique is very gentle and doesn't give you any of those sickening cracks and pops that I've experienced previously.

jparsons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jparsons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2010 at 5:54am
Hi Stevie and Spicey!
I dont know the Graston technique tho I have heard its very good.
The Griner/Bronk technique (also known as 'neurosoma') I have found very effective to relax muscle spasm, remove trigger points, and tho quite gentle, will break up adhesions. Its  a subtle development of cross fibre massage.  (Thomas Griner is a former NASA scientist and a chiropractor who probably knows more than anyone else in the world about how muscles work and how they can cause problems)
yours in health
John

John
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2010 at 11:05am
Thank you Spicey and Dr Parsons!!!

Yes, Spicey had only very good things to say about you Dr Parsons:))

This is yet another option for members to look into and I thank you for bringing it to our attention.

It would seem to work in a similar fashion to the Graston Technique. It is so good to hear about these new, gentle Chioropractic techniques. Thanks!! Stevie

IN THE UK 0845790 90 90
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2010 at 2:12pm
I have managed to stop taking Lyrica after over two years on itBig smile

Prior to starting treatments with Dr. Barone, I was in so much discomfort with nerve pain radiating from my neck into my shoulder blades every afternoon, I had to take Lyrica between 50-75mg.  I know that isn't a lot, but it was all I could handle without side effects, and it did help some. (I did not gain any weight on it until the past few months, but I truly believe it was because I didn't keep up with my swimming on a daily basis over the summer in Canmore, Alberta.)

Since I have been working with him, and maintaining my swimming, and deep tissue massages twice a month, oh and yes, using Dragon Speak when I have to do a lot of posting, the nerve pain is nowhere near what it was.  So last week I stopped the Lyrica.  I can honestly say that I am in no more pain now than I was while taking it.

So, one less medication is a huge bonus.  It may be that I have to restart it, but I am hopeful that I won't.  In the past when I stopped it, I knew within a day or two that I was worse, but a week has now passed and I think that I may be home free.

Anyhow, just wanted to add that in here. Big smile

IN THE UK 0845790 90 90
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2011 at 1:37pm
I had my last visit of 2010 with Dr. Barone last week.  We are both very happy with the progress that I have made with this treatment, and the plan now is for me to see him every three weeks throughout the winter while the weather here is so cool.

Hopefully by the time the warmer weather comes around, we will space the visits out even further, but to my way of thinking, as this is chronic pain----we all know that means it is a way of life with us, and we do what we need to do to maintain the best levels of comfort possible.

I feel that the use of the Graston Technique to break down adhesions, plus massage therapy and swimming to make sure that they don't come back,  has made a large difference in the quality of my life these past several months.

So this has been my personal experience with Chiropractic and the Graston Technique and I can honestly recommend this to anyone, done in the hands of a very good practitioner. 

Hopefully 2011 will find other members falling upon new treatment options that can be shared with the rest of us.  We are all on the lookout all of the time.  Happy New Year to all of youHug

IN THE UK 0845790 90 90
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2011 at 10:18pm
Due to illness and traveling I didn't have another appointment with Dr Barone until today.

I have worked with Dr. Barone for five months and without a doubt,  I feel that this has been by far the least expensive and most effective therapy that I have encountered in the last three years.  We started out with treatments that were spaced more frequently and then kept lengthening them out.  He absolutely planned each session based upon my results and then spaced them out for longer periods of time as I was progressing. 

We had more appointments at the beginning------I had some discomfort and needed to use ice for a day after wards.  I kept seeing improvement.  It was an uphill struggle--the ones that we love because we see signs of improvement.  Also, the kind of thing that leaves us wondering if we are imagining it; is it placebo effect; what?  No, this is NO placeo effect.  I am here to tell you after 5 months that I KNOW I am better.

I am now at a point where I see Dr Barone maybe once a month.  I would go back more if needed.  The thing is that my entire neck, shoulder and thoracic area are not all in spasms.  I can't believe the relief that I have had.  Neither can my massage therapist who has worked with me for over 3 years.  The adhesions are loosened if that is the correct terminology.  The spasms are far less.

This is for me, a huge gain in my struggle to find alternative therapies that work.  I am off of one medication (Lyrica) and take less pain medications than I did.  I still MUST exercise to keep the adhesions that had formed from coming back.  I gladly do that by swimming.

I have no way of knowing what the future holds, and none of us do.  But I have been looking and searching for years for anything to help me, and I have found something that has.

I guess that all I am saying here, is never give up hope and if you have any questions for me, please write them here, or send me a PM,  and Dr. Barone has his own forum:http://chronicpainsite.com/mb/forum_topics.asp?FID=70&title=ask-dr-barone and I know that he will be only too happy to answer any questions that you have.

Thank you Dr. Barone.  I was the most skeptical person on the face of the planet going into this treatment.  No longer.

Please---if there is anyone out there reading this, and you have a similar story about something that isn't widely known, please let us know.  What has helped me so much, may not work for someone else, but we are always looking for alternative therapies as we never known if we don't try.  Stevie

IN THE UK 0845790 90 90
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2011 at 10:48pm
Here is a link to locate a provider if you are interested in the Graston Technique.  I will tell you now, that the benefits of this are going to be based in the hands of the person doing this procedure on you.  I have seen pictures of people bruised following the treatment.  I never have had a singe mark left on me.  Dr Barone told me that if anything he did hurt more on the scale of a "3" to tell him.  I never felt anything more than warmth.  But I have a very high pain threshold.  As I have stated in earlier posts, when we first started this, I DID have an increase in pain for a day or so and I did need to use ice.  That has since stopped to the point where the treatments are soothing and I need nothing following them.  I have no way of knowing other's experiences, but would love to hear back.  So here is a link to find a provider near you:http://www.grastontechnique.com/LocateaProvider.html

IN THE UK 0845790 90 90
imchunks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imchunks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2011 at 8:59am
Thank you for providing us with the "Provider Search Tool".  I am very surprised but there is a doctor located in Ponca City, OK.  I will be getting in touch with her very soon to see if she feels this might help me.  There actually were seven doctors within a 100 mile radius of me.

Looking over the "Graston Technique" information, I was very pleased to see that only qualified, trained individuals can even get the equipment necessary to preform this type of treatment.  This says to me that there aren't any "Quacks" out there that just start doing this type of treatment without the proper training.

Looking forward,
Judy
LUMBAR: lumbar herniated disc almost all non-surgical treatments available have been tried. (5) laminectomies on lumbar spine 1982-2001, Failed fusion of L4 L5 in April, 2005; Spinal Cord Stimulator (SCS) March,2007
CERVICAL: Cervical herniated disc, Anterior cervical discectomy & fusion (ACDF C5-7)November, 2007
OTHER ISSUES: DDD, Polyneuropathy, Occipital Neuralgia, Rotator Cuff Tendinitis, Carpal Tunnel, High Blood Pressure, Hardening of the Arteries.
NERVE DAMAGE: Bilateral Peroneal, Tibial and Sural Nerves of lower legs, feet and ankles (damage caused by previous back surgeries).
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2011 at 12:24pm
Thank you Judy,

For me, the Graston technique has been a godsend.  I can only speak for myself, but I do know that my entire upper back, neck and shoulders, had many adhesions.  Now that they have been broken up, I am far more comfortable.  However, one thing that Dr. Barone has emphasized is that it is vital for people who have this done to continue to be as active as possible so that the adhesions do not return.

Please let me know how you make out Judy--I truly hope that this is something that will help you also.  Hugs to you, Stevie.  ;-)

IN THE UK 0845790 90 90
tkay View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2011 at 4:27pm
I went to the site to see where a chiropractor might be located in my area but the result came up with a physical therapy center and no chiropractors on staff.
Physical therapists are not the same as a chiropractor. I wonder why this center was listed.
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2011 at 4:59pm
Tammie--

Physical Therapists can also be trained in the Graston Technique---not only Chiropractors.  I am very glad that you brought that up.  So, you may find in your area both practitioners, or only one or the other.

You just want to find someone with a gentle touch---as I have said, this should NOT be painful.  I did have discomfort AFTER the first several treatments for a day or so that needed ice. ( As I used to with deep tissue massage).  I now have NO problems and I have always found that the treatment provided a feeling of warmth and definitely not pain.

IN THE UK 0845790 90 90
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2011 at 8:21pm
I just realized that I have not done an update on this thread in way too long.

I can only speak for myself, and for the benefits I have received from this treatment.  Also, remember that the expertise of the practioner is paramount in the outcome of this or any treatment.  I fell into the hands of a Dr who knows and cares, and is exceedingly good at what he does.

My last treatment was in May of this year,  prior to my coming to Canada for the summer.  I have not lost any of the benefits of treatment, but I have also remained very physically active---walking a lot this summer.  I know that Dr. Barone stresses the need to stay as active as possible to retain benefits of any therapy, and I believe it to be true.

Remember---chronic pain = desire to remain inactive to stop the pain.  Being inactive = an increase in pain and an increase in adhesions which leads to a vicious cycle.  So.  Please stay as active as you can.  It helps emotionally and physically.  It is not easy.  But we can do it.

We all need a balance of pain medications to let us DO the things necessary to function.  I really and truly believe that there is a good balance here and that we all find it in our own time and our own way with the help of good health care professionals.  As Coach Jim Valvano of the North Carolina State WolfPacks said"  Never Give Up".  He died when he was 47 from bone cancer.  He never stopped trying.  We won't either.  Stevie

Even if you are not a sports fan, you may want to watch this. Coach Valvano died shortly after he gave this speech.  As he says at the end, give me a hug-::http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuoVM9nm42E

I say that a lot at the end of my posts, but I mean it.  We all need that hug.  Stevie

IN THE UK 0845790 90 90
Edie View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2011 at 10:49pm
Thanks Stevie for the lift. I have been so down the last few weeks and needed something like that!
Chronic pain throughout the spine caused by osteoarthritis (DDD). Started at neck, spread to thoracic, and lately to lumbar area. Most of my spine is affected by bulges, disc height loss and dehydration, bone spurs, annular tears, foraminal stenosis, probable nerve impingement, and degeneration at end plates and facets.

The disease extends from Cervical C2-3 to C7-T1. Thoracic T4 to T10.
Lumbar T12-L1 to L5-S1.
It is all non operable.

Other conditions
Osteoarthritis R Knee.
Torn ACL, MCL L knee,
Pain on legs and calves
Deep vein thrombosis
Migraine headaches
Painful spots all over scalp
COPD
Hypertension
Chronic Hyperventilation. Caused by anxiety or stress
Chronic depression and insomnia
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2011 at 11:05pm
Me too Edie. I needed to make contact with Dr Barone today and realized that I had not updated this in too long.

I have been kind of down also. After talking to him, and relaying some good things that have happened for our site, I kept thinking of how I always seem to be telling others to "never give up".

Tonight it hit me where that has come from. Jimmy Valvano. What a great legacy he left. For anyone struggling with life. Hugs and thank you Edie. Stevie

IN THE UK 0845790 90 90
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>