ChronicPainSite.com Foundation, Inc Homepage
Advertise
With Us 
 Many Thanks to all that have supported our site. Click here to find out how YOU can help
Click to Show Your Support
Advertise
With Us 

FAQ FAQ   Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
To Our FB page      

Login
Register
---------
ChronicPainSite.com Foundation, Inc
RULES
Navigation
Main Page
Forum Home
About Us
Site Information
Our Advisors
Articles Home
Faces of Pain
Amazon Store
Recipe Section
No Pain Pain Scale No Pain

FAQ
Member Control Panel
Login
Register
Walking Conversion Chart

DC's Stories

CP Man Stories

Donate

Mood swings from Opiates?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Stacey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stacey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mood swings from Opiates?
    Posted: Nov/29/2010 at 1:02pm
Does anyone else get mood swings while taking opiate pain medication?
I find that about 3-4 hours after I take them I am much more likely to get angry. I don't like being angry, so I usually just close my door until it passes.
My usual trigger for getting angry is my house, well, the way it looks, and it is when Fiona is home from school, so I end up taking it out on her, hence the reason for going back in my room and closing the door. It seems that the frustration just boils up in me at that point in the med's cycle and I am much more prone to blowing up. I noticed it just now, I walked out into the kitchen and I was mildly irritated, but I know when I go out there again later I will be more apt to get angry. Is it the meds or just me?
"Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win."    -    Jonathan Kozol

DDD, 2 herniated discs one cervical, one thoracic. Periphial neuropathy. Fibromyalgia as of 12/12
Sponsored Links

sara1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sara1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2010 at 1:12pm
Hi Stacey-Yes it could be the opiates. When I took percocet it affected me like that with mood swings and feeling irritable. It's odd for me as the same ingredient that's in percocet is what I take now in extended release oxycontin. Maybe another med would help? Sara
Spicey View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spicey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2010 at 2:24pm
Stacey, I can't say that I've ever noticed mood swings that coincide in any way with the medications themselves, but I do get really frustrated and more prone to tears when I'm hurting the most, and often that is after I've been doing something for a while and get tired, or at a time when meds are wearing off but it's too soon to take any more.

Hope you can get to the bottom of this and get it sorted out. It really doesn't sound like you to be grumpy, you're always so good natured no matter what is being thrown at you.

Hugs, Spicey
41 yrs old, chronic pain for 20 years.
Decompression/stabilisation surgery with Dynesys Apr'04, revision with PLIF fusion Oct'08, SCS installed Apr'10. Injured neck in a stair fall in July '09.
Failed Back Surgery Sydrome & Fibromyalgia diagnosed 2011.
Mobility is poor & I use a wheelchair/scooter outside of the house. Also suffer from anxiety & depression.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
NATIONAL SUICIDE HELPLINES:

UK: 08457 909090 or http://www.samaritans.org

US: 1-800-273-TALK (8255) or http://www.crisisclinic.org

Canada: http://www.211canada.ca/what.php

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
pete81241 View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2013/2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pete81241 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2010 at 2:45pm
stacey...i have the same trouble as you ... that is being more prone to getting angry just after i take dilaudid. several times i have hit the roof and mouthed off at people and wondered why i did that. after studying when it happened i discovered the dilaudid had touched it off.....pete
7 spine surgeries for neck, leg and back pain caused by stenosis,DDD, facet hypertrophy and ligamentum flavum. spinal cord stimulator. both hips replaced. surgery on pituitary and pancreas tumors. arthritis. ga
Stacey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stacey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2010 at 2:52pm
Thanks Ladies,
It happened again. I had to come in my room just to get away from it. I did manage to get some dishes done. I really just want to throw everything except what we really need out, then there won't be piles of dirty dishes and pots and pans, if Fi wants to cook she will only have one pan to use and have to wash it if it is dirty.
I am afraid to ask my doctor to change my medication because of this. I am afraid that she will take it away and I will have nothing. She refuses to change it, or increase my dosage for about 2 1/2 years now.
"Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win."    -    Jonathan Kozol

DDD, 2 herniated discs one cervical, one thoracic. Periphial neuropathy. Fibromyalgia as of 12/12
pete81241 View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2013/2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pete81241 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2010 at 3:22pm
hi stacey...now that i'm aware of the drug making me angry i can catch myself before opening my mouth and saying angry words.....pete
7 spine surgeries for neck, leg and back pain caused by stenosis,DDD, facet hypertrophy and ligamentum flavum. spinal cord stimulator. both hips replaced. surgery on pituitary and pancreas tumors. arthritis. ga
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2010 at 3:23pm
Stacey,

Yes, I become very depressed and irritable on OxyContin( ER ).  It's happened to me following my spinal fusions, and again, when I tried about six months ago to take it.  However, I can take oxycodone (immediate release), without any problem.

We all seem to react differently to these narcotics, and I am more then a little concerned that your physician will not listen to you and change your medication.  Knowing that you have not been able to see her for quite some time, is it possible that if you discussed this new revelation that your medication is affecting your mental outlook, she would be more inclined to help you find something else that would not make you moody and irritable?

You know, I think what happens in many circumstances, is that the medication just brings to the surface level, these feelings of frustration and irritability--and then you walk out into your living room or your kitchen and become totally overwhelmed with having to clean things up.  This is completely understandable.  Something else, maybe to sit down when you're not feeling frustrated and talk to Fiona about this--in other words, tell her that you truly need help keeping your home neat.

Honey, I do hope you get this figured out--I hate knowing that you're feeling this way.  Big hugs to you, Stevie.  ;-)

Please donate to help Chronicpainsite.com continue to help others.

The information and articles provided on our website are designed to support, not replace the relationship between patients and physicians.

Spinal Fusions L5-S1 and L4-L5. Cervical DDD, stenosis, spondylosis, spondylolisthesis and facet arthropathy throughout cervical spine from C3-C7. Thoracic Spine: dextroconvex curvature of the thoracic spine, centered at approximately T8.(Scoliosis with 20 degree curve). At T7-8, a disc bulge. Degenerative disc disease T7-T9. Disc dessication from T3-T11.

NATIONAL SUICIDE HELPLINE 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
http://www.crisisclinic.org/
IN THE UK 0845790 90 90
http://www.samaritans.org/
For help for many things...
Canada: http://www.211Canada.ca/
Merlin View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2010 at 4:42pm
Hey Stace

My Slow-realease Oxycontin can make me feel incredible depression. I take 40 mg at might and 45mg in the morning and things are okay most mornings - but if I take that extra 5mg at night - recipe for disaster

Sometimes I take and extra 5 mg during the afternoon - but I would rather put up with the pain than endure the depression - and that's a tough call

Oxycontin - or oxycodone hydrochloride is a drug hated by many - so much so - they will probably go on giving it to us forever

And about your moods and being incredibly angry - yes - I have been there - anger is the outside of depressionn- and a bit of yelling in a safe place has it's benefits

All the best with that Stace - '

Lin
Merlin
Severe Inoperable Lumbar Spinal Problems - both shoulders damaged
Important contacts
In Australia - Telephone Crisis Line - Life Line 131114
World Wide
For bereaved parents - The Compassionate Friends.
Tough Love Support - Families Anonymous - type their name into your browser and you will find chapters near you
Stacey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stacey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2010 at 5:00pm
I made it through the afternoon yet again. I ended up crouched with my back against the lower kitchen cabinets to rest my neck while I was cooking as I couldn't walk away from it. I ended up over cooking it anyway.

I find that on the rare occasions that I don't take my medication I am not quite as cranky, I am in more pain, but my disposition is much better.

I told Fiona I am done trying to talk to her, I am taking the wireless receiver off of her computer each and every day until she is done with whatever I need her to do, then she can have it back.

TKDmomOF3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TKDmomOF3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2010 at 6:06am
Stacey,
My PM has told me time and time again that continued intractable/chronic pain can in itself cause those types of issue over time.  He will ask how my mood has been at many visits. 
Anna
Injured 9/06 herniated L5-S1,2/07 Micro-D;disk colapsed,Discogram 4/08**Surgery:360 fusion w/ hardware L5-S1 on 5/12/08** Had a SCS 7/2009, was great while it lasted, removed 4/2011, the lead moved. Tapered off pain meds 5/2011...8 months later the pain had gotten so high, I slowly went back on fentynal patch with norco for breakthrough. Out of work sinc 11/1/10.

"If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of." -- Bruce Lee
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2010 at 7:54am
Stacey,

Just checking in to see how you're feeling today.  As Anna has said, pain in and of itself is enough to make us feel miserable.  But from personal experience, I do know that certain narcotics make me feel flat out awful, and that is why I have to limit them and only take them when absolutely necessary.  It is a Catch-22 situation.

Way to go with setting limits with Fiona.  She has to know that she must help you out and not make your life more difficult.  Oh, the joy of teenagers plus chronic pain.  Hugs to you honey Stevie

The information and articles provided on our website are designed to support, not replace the relationship between patients and physicians.

Spinal Fusions L5-S1 and L4-L5. Cervical DDD, stenosis, spondylosis, spondylolisthesis and facet arthropathy throughout cervical spine from C3-C7. Thoracic Spine: dextroconvex curvature of the thoracic spine, centered at approximately T8.(Scoliosis with 20 degree curve). At T7-8, a disc bulge. Degenerative disc disease T7-T9. Disc dessication from T3-T11.

IN THE UK 0845790 90 90
Stacey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stacey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2010 at 10:30pm
Well, I didn't take any meds yesterday before I went out so I avoided the cranky mood by both not being home and skipping the dose. I took 10mg, early today, then naproxen later. I hurt like He77 right now, but I am not angry or cranky, just sore. I don't know which is worse??

Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/02/2010 at 7:04am
What a catch 22 Stacey.  I don't know which is worse either.  Been there---done that.

I know that 5mg of Oxycodone helps the pain when it is BAD and doesn't make me cranky, but I have sure been a B**** on other pain meds.  Wish your Dr. would let you try something else.  You should be able to have some pain management without feeling awful.  Hugs honey.

IN THE UK 0845790 90 90
Edie View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/02/2010 at 10:00pm
Stacey,

I don't get angry with my opiates, but I feel that I get a lift about 1/2 after I take it. Then when it wears out I get all droopy and sleepy. Because of that, I really think that taking my morphine at night has something to do with my insomnia. But if I don't take it, the pain wouldn't let me sleep either.

One thing that really made me extremely angry was Tegretol. I was still working when I was put on it for trigeminal neuralgia and omg, I would take it in the morning, and would get transformed into a complet B--- while working in the OR. I would become such a horrible person that I didn't even like myself. It all stopped when I stopped the drug.

Edie
Multilevel degenerative disc disease
C3-4, broad based disc bulge with small bone spurs
C4-5, dehydration of the disc with broad based disc bulge
C5-6 narrowing and dehydration of the disc, with small osteophytes. Mild effacement of the ventral subarachnoid space. Moderately severe bilateral foraminal narrowing due to disc and spur. Probable C6 nerve root impingement bilaterally.
C6-7 narrowing and dehydration of the disc with broad based disc bulge and postereolateral marginal spurs
C7-T1 narrowing and dehydration of the disc. Small posterolateral marginal spurs with fairly severe narrowing of both neural foramina. Probable bilateral C8 nerve root impingement.
T4 to T10: Moderate to advanced DDD with moderate to severe disc space narrowing
All non operable

Pain in both knees
Torn ACL and MCL in car accident, some years ago, no surgery
Migraine headaches
Very tender, painful spots all over scalp
Chronic depression, chronic insomnia, and anxiety manifested in constant hyperventilation (the constant need to take a deep breath) especially when I try to rest.

Stacey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stacey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2010 at 1:16am
The percocet keeps me awake even though when it wears off I feel sleepy. Feeling sleepy and being sleepy are two entirely different states. I am going to try to adjust my sleep schedule to see if that helps any. I am hoping that if I can take it that much earlier in the day then if I get irritable it will be over with by dinner time, and not going on while I am trying to cook and clean up. 

Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2010 at 7:04am
I have the same problem with percocet.  It "perks me up".  I am sleepy/groggy but cannot sleep.  I think that trying to adjust the time you take it is a good thing to do.  It is all trial and error, isn't it?

IN THE UK 0845790 90 90
imchunks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imchunks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2010 at 11:50am
Stacey,

Percocet also keeps me awake if I take it just before bedtime.  I have learned that for me I have to take that last percocet at least 2-3 hours before bedtime.  My medication schedule covers 4 times daily, so I take that last percocet with my evening meds (taken around 5-6 pm); instead of with my bedtime medications. 

I don't know if this will work for you, but it has really helped me get to sleep.  Good luck on finding the right time for you on this medication.

Judy

LUMBAR: lumbar herniated disc almost all non-surgical treatments available have been tried. (5) laminectomies on lumbar spine 1982-2001, Failed fusion of L4 L5 in April, 2005; Spinal Cord Stimulator (SCS) March,2007
CERVICAL: Cervical herniated disc, Anterior cervical discectomy & fusion (ACDF C5-7)November, 2007
OTHER ISSUES: DDD, Polyneuropathy, Occipital Neuralgia, Rotator Cuff Tendinitis, Carpal Tunnel, High Blood Pressure, Hardening of the Arteries.
NERVE DAMAGE: Bilateral Peroneal, Tibial and Sural Nerves of lower legs, feet and ankles (damage caused by previous back surgeries).
 Post Reply Post Reply