Walking Conversion Chart

DC's Stories

CP Man Stories

Donate

butrans patches

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
paingame View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paingame Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: butrans patches
    Posted: Feb/22/2011 at 8:53am
hi, im new to the site so hi to everyone.  my problem is that my gp has put me on to butrans 7day patches for my 24/7 chronic pain. he started me on 5mg, just to see what i was like for side effects. he then put me on 10mg and unfortunatley it didnt even make a dent in the  pain. i was very bad and put on 2 of the 10 mg patches and although i did feel a little less pain it wasnt great it was better than nothing. i then had to go a week with no patch at all and i did feel the difference then, serves me right.
if anyone knew would they tell me if you can go above 20mg in the butrans patch, as i think i would be in less pain (nirvana) on maybe 25mg.
also i dont know how to talk to my gp who is a lovley that the 10mg patch is doing nothing, i dont want him to think im on some sort of junkie trip, so it would really help if someone could tell me what way to put it to him when i talk to him.
thank you so much for listening and i hope you are all doing as well as you possibly can with this awful disease.
sincere regardsSmileSmileBig smileConfused
antisocial
Sponsored Links

Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2011 at 10:29am
Hello, and welcome to the site!!!!

We just had this discussion about Butran patches yesterday with yet another new member.  I am going to give you the link to that thread so you can read what was written about this particular medication.http://chronicpainsite.com/mb/forum_posts.asp?TID=4543&title=butran-vs-fentenyl

If you decide that you want to stay on the patches, you are going to have to have a very frank discussion with your GP about them.  As you will see, once on these, there isn't really anything very effective that you can do for break through pain.  In the US the patch is available in 5mcg/hr; 10mcg/hr and 20mcg/hr.  We do have a member who went through what you are now (she is also from the  UK), and is now on Butran 30mcg with good control.  So, I would say that you will need to ask your GP how high you can go on these for good pain management, and also talk about what happens if you ever need surgery or are in an accident and need additional pain medication.  That as you will read in the link that I gave you a problem for people on Butran.

You didn't  mention if other forms of medications did not work for you.  Also, what type of pain issues are you dealing with?

Again, welcome to our site and we look forward to learning more about you and how you are doing.  Stevie

Please donate to help Chronicpainsite.com continue to help others.

The information and articles provided on our website are designed to support, not replace the relationship between patients and physicians.

Spinal Fusions L5-S1 and L4-L5. Recent changes now with diagnosis of Lumbar Stenosis with neurogenic claudication. To have multi-levl posterior fusion with laminectomy and decompression of L2-3 L3-4 and fusion and revision of L4-5 L5-1 with instrumentation. Cervical DDD, stenosis, spondylosis, spondylolisthesis and facet arthropathy throughout cervical spine from C3-C7. Thoracic Spine: dextroconvex curvature of the thoracic spine, centered at approximately T8.(Scoliosis with 20 degree curve). At T7-8, a disc bulge. Degenerative disc disease T7-T9. Disc dessication from T3-T11.

NATIONAL SUICIDE HELPLINE 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
http://www.crisisclinic.org/
IN THE UK 0845790 90 90
http://www.samaritans.org/
sara1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sara1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2011 at 10:59am
Hi Paingame and Welcome-My Dr. was going to put me on them and she said she would have to increase the patch weekly until I got pain relief so guess that's what your Dr. is doing for you. Do you have any side effects like drowsiness or anything? I hope you get some relief soon and do you have sciatica? My Dr. also put me on Cymbalta for the leg pain and now it's also recognized for chronic back pain relief.

The way I talk to my Dr. is I was started initially on MS Contin at 30mg once a day then went back to her 1 week later and said it wears off after a few hours so it doesn't cover me when I get up in the morning then she increased it to 2x day then after 1 month of being in pain still I go back and said it helps for a few hours then 5 hours after start feeling more pain then she increased it to every 8 hours then I go back a month later and said I still can't get relief. She increased it to 4x a day. Then my Pain Management Dr. told me in the morning when you're busy cleaning, shower walking etc. that I should take 60mg then 30 6-8 hours later and it worked for me for 2 years before I guess I become tolerant then switched to Oxycontin last year January. So I just let my Dr. know it wears off after so many hours and my pain level is always about a 3-4. But usually it goes up to a 6-7 if i do too much and she won't give anything for breakthrough pain so I use a ultrasound machine,Tens and infrared platinum heating pad and warm bath or shower.

Best wishes and hope you're feeling better. Sara
DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing Neck-reverse Lordosis of c-spine C6-C7 with impingement, numb hand and sore outer elbow. Bursitis to both knees. RN
paingame View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paingame Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2011 at 4:29pm
hi stevie,  thank you for replying to me with such helpful information.  just to let you know i have rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatric arthropathy and also suffer from basically full body - highly resistant deep plaque psoriasis - which means having to go into hospital for bed rest from time to time or bandaging my whole body and lying on a rubber mattress at home, and having very little skin without psoriasis.  as they have tried everything and cant help me with my skin i just go for bedrest hospital stays. apart from that i have been housebound for over 15 yrs. i was taking diclofenac but it gave me ulcers. so  im still on tramadol and co-codamol and now these new patches.  im just not impressed with them stevie as i have pain round the clock on many joints but the ones that drive me mad is at the bottom of my back and also if my neck is bad or locks, its hell!. i thought with these patches i would be able to get a nights sleep, but no, the pain is still very severe and im still kept awake having to keep turning off sore joints, even now on the 10mg patches.  i think im going to call my gp and just tell him. i dont know why im so reticent as hes such a lovley guy and really wants to help me, so im just going to phone him and tell him im doing so badly on the patches,  i just have to get up the nerve to do so. after that i just dont know stevie, ive had this illness since i was a baby and it has eaten up and stolen my life from me and keeps me stuck in the house year after year  (whoops pity party alert). sorry about that stevie and im sorry for rambling on so long, i promise i wont again.
thank you so much for your kindness contacting me and  only if you want to pls let me know how you are getting on and what your situation is.
take care.
antisocial
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2011 at 5:43pm
Hi again Paingame---

Honey, you are not ranting or rambling or having any kind of a pity party.  We are here to listen and we care very much.

Have you ever had anything stronger than this for you pain?  Basically tramadol and co-codamol (codeine plus acetaminophen) are not for severe pain that you are describing.  Although, interestingly from what Medic, one of our RN members has said, tramadol seems to work with the Butran well for some people.

I guess I am wondering if you were taken off of something that was working better for you than the Butran patches, and if so , could you go back on it?  There are many options out there as Morphine; Oxycontin/Oxydone; Hydrocodone; etc.  Take a look at some of these articles in our Articles Section and see if anything in there helps you with information.  http://chronicpainsite.com/Articles/category_view.asp?CID=14

Honestly?  If you were on something in the past that worked I would ask to go back on it, or I would have a talk with him about either putting you on something else, or increasing the dosage of the Butran patches high enough (as our member who takes 30mcg and does well) along with the tramadol for BT pain.  Please do not hesitate to talk frankly with your Dr.  It sounds as if you have a good working relationship with him; he does want to help you, so please let him?

Thank you for asking about me.  Well, you can see my issues under my name (that is what we call our "Signature") and you can also put that under your name by going into your profile.  I have threads all over the place here.  LOL.  You will get to know about all of us here in time and we truly welcome you here.

Please let us know what you decide to do, and thank you for posting back about what you are going through.   I feel so badly for all you are dealing with and hope that you will find this site a source of hope and comfort.  Stevie

The information and articles provided on our website are designed to support, not replace the relationship between patients and physicians.

Spinal Fusions L5-S1 and L4-L5. Recent changes now with diagnosis of Lumbar Stenosis with neurogenic claudication. To have multi-levl posterior fusion with laminectomy and decompression of L2-3 L3-4 and fusion and revision of L4-5 L5-1 with instrumentation. Cervical DDD, stenosis, spondylosis, spondylolisthesis and facet arthropathy throughout cervical spine from C3-C7. Thoracic Spine: dextroconvex curvature of the thoracic spine, centered at approximately T8.(Scoliosis with 20 degree curve). At T7-8, a disc bulge. Degenerative disc disease T7-T9. Disc dessication from T3-T11.

IN THE UK 0845790 90 90
sara1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sara1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2011 at 6:07pm
Paingame-Have you ever tried anything else for pain? I read that Butrans should be used after other opioid drugs have been tried. Sara
DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing Neck-reverse Lordosis of c-spine C6-C7 with impingement, numb hand and sore outer elbow. Bursitis to both knees. RN
Rocken Roni View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocken Roni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2011 at 7:42pm

Hi paingame and Welcome,
Thank-you for posting. I see you have a (highly resistant deep plaque psoriasis). My Mom had psoriasis but mostly on her joints, elbows, knees, nickles, etc. She broke out w it when I was born. She used to rub (Thermofuge), which isn't on the market any longer. Anyway,
she would put this thick paste on say her elbows. After that she would put saran wrap everywhere she put the thermofuge, and pull the saran wrap real tight so no air could get at the psoriasis. She did that faithfully for months once a day but it didn't work. There was one summer she was able to wear shorts. She would lay out in the sun and burn her knees so bad that she almost fried her legs. She finally got rid of it on her legs. Her knees were scared very badly where the psoriasis were but who cared she looked great in her shorts, she still had it every where else. But if she was out of the sun for a day or two it would come back. You obviously have it alot worse then my Mom ever had it. She was a cook for restaurant and where ever she worked she was told to stay in the kitchen b/c of her elbows, the boss didn't want the customers to see her arms or they might leave. She cried often the way she was treated sometimes. I understand that you are confined to home. I'm so sorry, I really feel for you. One other thing was, Mom could never take a bath, as the water was a no no for her b/c it made her psoriasis spread like crazy, so she always took quick sponge baths in the tub like a luke warm shower very quick. We were lucky to live in Greece for 2 years and the salt water never bothered her and of course the sun was great for her but she never did get as burned as the summer it seemed to go away as she never got to spend the time she needed in the sun. Well paingame I just want you to know that there is someone here who understands what this is all about. If you ever, ever need to talk, you can PM (private message me) any time and I would be glad to listen to you as I am a good listener. I also hope you get answers you need about your other issues. She had tried so many potions her Dr worked w her on that she was wondering if they would ever find anything. I hope I helped you in some small way. I can't imaging how bad you are as I remember my Mom being depressed so bad w this and she never did get rid of it. I hope there is something out there that will help all ppl w this terrible skin condition. Remember Paingame, I'm here if you would ever like to talk. Lots of time I'm awake after midnight an look for any one who might like to chat in the chat room that we have. It would be really nice to see you there sometime.

Rocken Roni or just Roni  Smile

Until one has felt the Love of an animal,
a part of their Soul remains Unawakened.

Unknown

1st injured Feb, 1997. Was told it was "Soft Tissue" and sent back to work - no X-rays
Late 1997 attended 1st Rehab Program to strengthen back. Mid 98 PCP took me off work. Tried going back to work over the next couple years, mostly off work due to pain.
June 2000, met with OS for first time. Did MRI , damage was L5-S1 totally blown out. Surgery done Jan, 2001.
Another Rehab program late 2001, attempted to go back to work early 2002. Slipped on water, fell flat on back screw fusion broke.
Went to 3rd Rehab program summer 2002.
Oct 2003 - 2nd Surgery, due to broken screw, had to operate from the front.
No improvement. Attended 4th Rehab program in 2004, at time It was decided NO work.
March 2006, had 3rd Surgery, this time fusion and instrumentation from Si to L3.
June 2008 Surgeon finally admitted I had Failed Back Surgery.
August 2009 WCB Finally put me on Long Term Disability
Spicey View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spicey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2011 at 5:39pm
Hi Paingame and once again welcome to the forum from another UK member

I'm sorry to hear about the pain you're suffering. How on earth do you manage to tollerate the patches when your skin is so flared up from the psoriasis? It must be a nightmare for you   It sounds like you have a great and very supportive GP so don't be scared of asking him for help with regards to your dose. It's pointless using the lower dose ones if they're not working very well for you.

My Nanna has suffered from psoriasis for most of her life. When I was younger she was really really bad and had to keep her skin covered up pretty much all of the time. Recently she had another really bad outbreak which has caused her to lose all of her hair. I don't know what they have been treating her with but her skin has really cleared up again just recently. What are you treated with for it?

Please don't ever apologise for ranting around here - it's what this place is for - we laugh together, cry together and support each other as best we can through this journey.  So feel free to have those pity parties as often as you need to!

Hope things improve soon,

Spicey

41 yrs old, chronic pain for 20 years.
Decompression/stabilisation surgery with Dynesys Apr'04, revision with PLIF fusion Oct'08, SCS installed Apr'10. Injured neck in a stair fall in July '09.
Failed Back Surgery Sydrome & Fibromyalgia diagnosed 2011.
Mobility is poor & I use a wheelchair/scooter outside of the house. Also suffer from anxiety & depression.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
NATIONAL SUICIDE HELPLINES:

UK: 08457 909090 or http://www.samaritans.org

US: 1-800-273-TALK (8255) or http://www.crisisclinic.org

Canada: http://www.211canada.ca/what.php

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edie View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2011 at 9:46pm
Hi Paingame,

Originally posted by paingame paingame wrote:

he then put me on 10mg and unfortunatley it didnt even make a dent in the  pain. i was very bad and put on 2 of the 10 mg patches and although i did feel a little less pain it wasnt great it was better than nothing.

So sorry you are in so much pain and the patches are not helping. But, please don't ever, ever  add another patch because you didn't feel much relief from the one you put on, without consulting your doctor first. This is very dangerous as the patches (any of the patches used for chronic pain) release the medication very slowly and if you put another one before the first one had the chance to reach the analgesic stage, you can end up with an over dose. There have been a few deaths due to this practice. I personally lost a friend of the family this way. That is why some doctors are very selective of whom they choose to give the patch to. They have to be very sure they can trust the pt will follow his or her instructions.

Some medications take a week or more before you feel their full effect. Not sure about Butran, but normally ER Opioids take at least some 8  hours, so you have to give them time because as I said before, they release the drug very slowly. Once you build up a blood level of the medication it will work continuosly as long as you keep placing the patches at the assigned time.

We can't tell you if you can go to 20 mg because medications work differently on different people. The dose the works well for one person, will not necessarily work for another. Your doctor can help you by increasing the dose a little at a time until you find the right dose.

Don't be afraid to tell your doctor the dose you are using is not helping. Usually they start you with the lightest dose to see how it works for you, and then increase it as necessary. Usually, when I get a medication, I try it for a coulple of days. If is not working I call the clinic to let the doctor know about it right away.

You ask how to ask him about increasing the drug. One thing not to do is suggest how much you want. Just let him know that you are not getting relief from what you are taking and let him suggest and increase. If he doesn't suggest an increase than you can ask him if he thinks and increase would be helpful. The thing is to allow him to make the decision. That way it won't look as if you are drug seeking for fun.

So if you can, go ahead give your doctor a call and let him or her know what's going on and see if he increases the dose for you.

Hope you are feeling better, Edie

Chronic pain throughout the spine caused by osteoarthritis (DDD). Started at neck, spread to thoracic, and lately to lumbar area. Most of my spine is affected by bulges, disc height loss and dehydration, bone spurs, annular tears, foraminal stenosis, probable nerve impingement, and degeneration at end plates and facets.

The disease extends from Cervical C2-3 to C7-T1. Thoracic T4 to T10.
Lumbar T12-L1 to L5-S1.
It is all non operable.

Other conditions
Osteoarthritis R Knee.
Torn ACL, MCL L knee,
Pain on legs and calves
Deep vein thrombosis
Migraine headaches
Painful spots all over scalp
COPD
Hypertension
Chronic Hyperventilation. Caused by anxiety or stress
Chronic depression and insomnia
Lissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2011 at 1:27am
PainGame,

Welcome to CPS, we are glad to have you here.  I'm sorry you have suffered so much and for so long.  I have to stay home a lot, but am not totally house bound and can't imagine having to do that.  I think Edie gave some very good advice about how to approach your doctor, and I hope you will feel comfortable talking to him very soon, so you can maybe get some relief.  I also want to add that you do not have to worry about ranting, or having a pity party, or any of that.  We all need to do that at times, and that is one of the wonderful things about this site.  Once again, glad to have you here!

Hugs,
Lissa
Pseudotumor cerebri and chronic daily migraines, causing moderate to severe pain constantly for more than 10 years now. OCD, generalized anxiety disorder, depression, PTSD, and panic attacks which started in adolescence (except the PTSD) and are generally controlled by medication, but when under stress show up and cause more severe pain.

I pray for complete healing for each of you!
paingame View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paingame Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2011 at 2:22pm
Big smile
hi lissa, i am very glad that i joined cps too as you seem such a kind, patient and caring lot, so im in good company. its also good for me being stuck in the house as i can just go into the site and read others stories and how they cope. ive been really touched at the caring replies ive had, its sort of blew me away!
but at the end of the day im glad that your there and i hope sometime if somebody needs to just talk to someone, maybe it could be me. id be more than happy to hear how you are doing and what your situation is lissa if you would like to tell me, but only if you wanted to lissa. 
so thank you so much for your kind email and many hugs back to you.
SmileStarBig smile
kind regards and keep well
jacqui x
antisocial
pete81241 View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2013/2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pete81241 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2011 at 3:28pm
hi jacqui and welcome to CPS.
i too am in pain and have been trying for years to get relief. i think i've tried most pain killers. i'm stuck in the house a lot too so we have a lot in common.
anyway i'm around here a lot. you can feel comfortable talking about your discomfort. we all understand what you are going through. this is a great place to hang your hat and get those feelings off you chest....pete
7 spine surgeries for neck, leg and back pain caused by stenosis,DDD, facet hypertrophy and ligamentum flavum. spinal cord stimulator. both hips replaced. surgery on pituitary and pancreas tumors. arthritis. ga
imchunks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imchunks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2011 at 8:57am
Hi jacqui and welcome to CPS,

I am so glad that you have come to CPS.  There are no restrictions here about ranting and raving.  It is so hard to talk to people that don't get what we are going through.  So now you have a place to come and talk to people who understand what living with pain is all about.  We know that you will have good days and you will have bad days and we want you to share both emotions with us. 

I hope that you get the right medication to help you with your pain.  I too have problems talking with doctors sometimes.  I have been very lucky to have found a doctor that is willing to listen to me and doesn't stereotype me as some other doctors have done.  I have found that it is better to be real with my doctor and then we have a relationship that we feel comfortable telling them what is really going on with us.  I hope you can call your doctor and tell him what is going on and that you aren't getting any relief.  Then the ball is in his court to come up with an increase in the dosage or a change to some other medication. 

I hope that you can have a good weekend with as little pain as possible.

Take care and again welcome,
Judy
LUMBAR: lumbar herniated disc almost all non-surgical treatments available have been tried. (5) laminectomies on lumbar spine 1982-2001, Failed fusion of L4 L5 in April, 2005; Spinal Cord Stimulator (SCS) March,2007
CERVICAL: Cervical herniated disc, Anterior cervical discectomy & fusion (ACDF C5-7)November, 2007
OTHER ISSUES: DDD, Polyneuropathy, Occipital Neuralgia, Rotator Cuff Tendinitis, Carpal Tunnel, High Blood Pressure, Hardening of the Arteries.
NERVE DAMAGE: Bilateral Peroneal, Tibial and Sural Nerves of lower legs, feet and ankles (damage caused by previous back surgeries).
bcsurvivor2006 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcsurvivor2006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2011 at 3:25pm
I started on the BuTrans patch on Friday.So far not much relief but am really hoping they work.
Breast cancer survivor for 5 years on June 6,2011.Chemo left me with too many problems to list.
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2011 at 3:48pm
Here is a link to a discussion with another member who did not do well on Butran, but we all learned some things about this particular medication as it is new ( recently approved) in the states for the use of chronic pain--we have members from the UK who have been on it, and we have members who are doing well on it. http://chronicpainsite.com/mb/forum_posts.asp?TID=4543&title=butran-vs-fentenyl

As a CNA, you are well informed as to possible problems with needing additional opioid medications and the problems that may be associated with the use of Butran.  I have learned things about this myself only recently.

I do hope that this will  help your pain, and that it will be a good choice for you, Lisa.  Let us know how you are doing on it.  I am assuming that you have tried other medications that have not worked well?  Stevie

IN THE UK 0845790 90 90
bcsurvivor2006 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcsurvivor2006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2011 at 6:29am
Yes,I have tried all of them and had been on Oxycontin for 4 years.My tolerance had gotten so high and I was just so tired constantly.I did a medical detox in the hospital and my PM hopes to reset my receptors,I have my fingers crossed.I am also prescribed Percocet 10/325 but I think the Butrans keeps them from working.
Breast cancer survivor for 5 years on June 6,2011.Chemo left me with too many problems to list.
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2011 at 9:26am
Oh, I really hope this will work for you.  It sounds as if you have a very competent PM who has worked well with you.

Yes, it is my understanding that the Butrans blocks the effects of other opioids through it's agonist/partial antagonist relationship with opioid receptors.  Having said that, we have a member on the patches who takes Oxynorm, I believe for BT pain with some relief.

Keep us posted and I have everything crossed for you!!!!  Stevie

IN THE UK 0845790 90 90
Politicalnatz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Politicalnatz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2012 at 7:02am
Hi everyone... This is my first post as I've joined so I can back up what edie said and remind everyone to check whether it's ok to apply another patch before u do so...butrans patches take 72 hours to reach their full potential so it is not safe to apply a second patch until after this time...as your body will not be feeling the full effects until then, this includes side effects as well as pain killing effects. Butrans is an opioid based drug whose side effects can include respiratory problems...if u OD you could end up having trouble breathing! Everyones body is different so what works for some won't be helpful for others. I'm relatively new to chronic pain my problems started only in February this year but I've struggled with walking which has been really hard for me as im a very active 25 year old ordinarily and it's been horrible to experience such problematic pain...I've had back pain since I hit puberty but not to the point where it's affected my life for more than a few days/a week at a time.
After a few false starts on different types of painkillers I've been prescribed BuTrans by my GP and it has helped take the pain down to just a dull ache which is great, but when she prescribed them to me she advise starting on 5micrograms (lowest dose) and said if in 72 hours I wasn't feeling relief I could up it to a secon patch but not to put one on before the 72 hours...I looked it up in the BNF (it's like a drug dictionary, for those of you who don't know) and also googled it, and read my leaflet. Any opioid based painkiller can be quite dangerous, especially if you're on other opioids too, so please make sure you check your meds before you mess around with the dosing :-)
Good luck I hope you all find something that helps :-)
Recently diagnosed with trochanteric bursitis
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2012 at 7:33am
Hi Pol and welcome here!!!

Thank you for providing more information about Butrans.  We would love to know more about you and what has brought you to us.  Would you like to do a post in the "Joint Pain Issues Forum" :http://chronicpainsite.com/mb/forum_topics.asp?FID=6&title=joint-pain-issues  so that we can get to know you better, and also so that anything you write won't get lost in this thread?

See you there, I hope, and again welcome to us.  Best wishes, Stevie

IN THE UK 0845790 90 90
 Post Reply Post Reply