Advertise
With Us 
ChronicPainSite.com Foundation, Inc Personal Homepage
Please, if you have not Donated lately we need your help.
Click here to find out how YOU can help
  Advertise
With Us 

FAQ FAQ   Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New FP Group.. LIFE WITH CHRONIC PAIN
How you can get more control of your health and life.
Click Here
To Our FB page      

Login
Register
---------
ChronicPainSite.com Foundation, Inc
RULES
Navigation
Main Page
Forum Home
About Us
Site Information
Our Advisors
Articles Home
Faces of Pain
Recipe Section
No Pain Pain Scale No Pain

FAQ
Member Control Panel
Login
Register
Walking Conversion Chart

DC's Stories

CP Man Stories

Donate

Pain and Barometric Pressure Changes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pain and Barometric Pressure Changes
    Posted: Jun/12/2012 at 1:18pm
I am wondering how many of you are very sensitive to changes in barometric pressure?  I seem to be getting worse--------my neck pain goes through the roof prior to the arrival of a storm system.  It can be a day or two before the weather changes.  I've been paying attention to the barometric pressure when my pain increases, and it seems to be directly related to  falling barometric pressure. 

I found this explanation on one site and would love to read other explanations if any of you find something interesting:

http://www.nervepainandweather.co.uk/Pressure_as_link_pain_and_weath.html

"certain weather conditions such as damp, chilly conditions, rising humidity, rapidly falling barometric pressure and gusty winds. These particular conditions may cause swelling of the joints and it may be that the swelling irritates the nerves around the joints that sense the pain. It is likely that the joints' membranes act as a barometer and then expand as the air pressure drops. This in turn can cause increased pressure of the fluids that lubricate the joint. More resistance to movement is then offered and it increases the pains in the joints already affected. The change in barometric pressure - the pressure that air exerts on the environment - may cause a transient "disequilibrium" in body pressure to sensitize the nerve endings, and thus account for the increased pain preceding humidity and temperature changes"

Please donate to help Chronicpainsite.com continue to help others.

My journey with chronic pain began over 30 years ago, while as a young nurse working spinal rehab, I injured my back lifting a patient. I am now fused from L2-S1. I have multiple thoracic and cervical issues. I'm a retired RN/PA and I know and understand the frustrations on both ends of the treatment spectrum of dealing with CP. It's been my goal since 2008, when we started this site, to reach out and help as many people in pain as possible. We will continue the fight as long as we can. Please, if you can help us continue to help you and others, donate. Thank you.
Bailey View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2013-2016

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2012 at 2:12pm
I can be added to that list. And with the almost constant weather changes over the past couple of weeks I feel like a giant yo-yo. Then, a nice day finally shows up, feel better, overdo, feel crappy, weather changes, feel worse, repeat.

Bailey
DDD C3-C6 with multiple osteophytes causing both moderate foraminal and canal stenosis and flattening and impinging on the spinal cord
Cervical Facet arthritis
Chronic Pain Syndrome
sara1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sara1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2012 at 3:09pm
Yes it's amazing how our Grandparents or Great Aunt used to say I can feel a storm coming in my knees or back or mine did anyway, predict the weather. The worst is sudden barometric pressure dropping and I can feel a migraine come on. 

DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing Neck-reverse Lordosis of c-spine C6-C7 with impingement, numb hand and sore outer elbow. Bursitis to both knees. RN
pete81241 View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2013/14/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pete81241 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2012 at 3:10pm
bailey you and i must be related. strange there is no scientific explanation for this. ....pal pete
parkinsons disease.men1 genetic disorder. endocrine tumors in pituitary gland and pancreas. carpel tunnel syndrome. spinal stenosis.sleep apnea.vast knowledge of crutches and wheelchairs.borderline diabetic.gerd. both hips replaced. spinal stimulator. 7 spine surgeries/fusions. pain pump trial.Thrombocytopenia. no spleen.
bendenkatie View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2015

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bendenkatie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2012 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by sara1 sara1 wrote:

Yes it's amazing how our Grandparents or Great Aunt used to say I can feel a storm coming in my knees or back or mine did anyway, predict the weather. The worst is sudden barometric pressure dropping and I can feel a migraine come on. 

I've also always suffered with migraines before a storm, even before the chronic pain took hold. Nice to know there is a scientific explanation!
Pain started 2001 as sore thumb/forefinger. Worsened into neck and arm pain. Eventually X-Ray diagnosed prolapsed disc C5-C6 in 2006. Put on urgent list as disc pressing on spinal cord as well as nerves but still waited a year for disc removal and cage implant. CT done, all fine but nerve pain after op is worse than ever.
Pain Clinics have done trigger point injections x2, radiofrequency denervation x3 and cervical epidural. None helped.
Pain is in neck, down both arms, in my hands / fingers and causes frequent migraines. No surgical options left for the pain, just meds and relaxation. Also have lumbar back pain.
In 2008 I suddenly lost hearing on my left side due to a cold virus, now have a hearing aid implant which helps but bad tinnitus, which really doesn't!
In Sept 2010 my office job of 14 years forced me to resign as the pain meant I made some mistakes and wasn't fast enough to be worthwhile keeping on.
I am suffering with depression and paralysing anxiety, money worries and very low self esteem. So, here I am!
missratac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missratac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2012 at 5:59am
Another one here - especailly as regards headaches.
Ann

Osteoarthritis - neck, back, hands, previous polymyalgia rheumatica, Type 2 diabetes, dysthymia/depression. I had one lot of steroid injections to lumbar facet joints and two lots of radio=frequency lesioning - which improved things slightly. I had acute right-sided sciatica prior to my first hip replacement, put down to piriformis syndrome. This didn't go away. I had my left hip replaced a year ago. I also have mild essential tremor (which my mother had severely.) I am having a lot of pain in my thumb joints. Recent blood tests shw normal ESR, CRP, negative rheumatoid factor. Recent x-rays of cervical spine show oste-arthritic changes, lumbar spine - some DDD, mild spondylolisthesis. Appears ostepenic. Hips - both THP appear satisfactory and show no signs of loosening. No response to anlgesics - TENS and physiotherapy helpful. (Live in UK, so on NHS)
Merlin View Drop Down
Prior Member
Prior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2012 at 8:57am
Ah yes - I don't have to look at the barometer to know if I am in for a hard time due to the change in barometric pressure

But my GP has said that my spine couldn't be affected by gusty wind - but I think it is - for whatever reason - when the wind blows suddenly and buffets me - or suddenly stops - I feel it in my spine

Does anyone else?

Also I can have a hard time with my back with the barometric pressure is high in winter - I think that's because high pressure in winter here usually means very cold nights and mild days - wonderful weather - ah - thems the breaks

About migraine - strong north-westerly winds over the Australian continent can give me a wonderful migraine - but the prevailing wind called the Roaring Forties - usually doesn't

It's an interesting question Stevie - great to know I am not alone with al the stuff Confused
wolfalohalani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wolfalohalani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2012 at 3:56pm
Yep, me too - when the weather changes, I'll be in pain.  The kind of weather where you get a lot of broken clouds, some rain, some wind, pressure going up and down - that's the worst for me.  But even days like today, where it's gotten hot and the pressure has gone down, I'll feel some amount of discomfort.  I don't have arthritis that I know, and I've had pain in low-pressure systems since I was a teenager.  Admittedly I'm more sensitive now that I used to be, but I could always tell when weather was coming.  

wolfalohalani
Ruptured L4-5 10/91 - diskectomy 2/92. Fibro started 4/92. Cervical myelopathy 12/07 - laminectomy C4-7 3/08. B12 peripheral neuropathy 6/10.
eileenbunny View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014-2016

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eileenbunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2012 at 10:31pm
Changes in pressure definitely effect my head pain.  I'm as good as a barometer.
Chronic daily headache without real designation resulting from severe meningitis

Non-hodkins lymphoma survivor since 2003
Ruptured disk at C5-C6
Inferior alveolar nerve damage
Depression, PTSD with dissociative tendencies
I also have some yet to be diagnosed immune deficiency that is causing fatigue and severe joint pain.
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2012 at 7:42am
We had a strong cold front come through here yesterday.  The last two days were torture.  I felt like someone had beat me with a 2x4 across my entire spine.  Hopefully today will be better.

My journey with chronic pain began over 30 years ago, while as a young nurse working spinal rehab, I injured my back lifting a patient. I am now fused from L2-S1. I have multiple thoracic and cervical issues. I'm a retired RN/PA and I know and understand the frustrations on both ends of the treatment spectrum of dealing with CP. It's been my goal since 2008, when we started this site, to reach out and help as many people in pain as possible. We will continue the fight as long as we can. Please, if you can help us continue to help you and others, donate. Thank you.
cindylou_38 View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cindylou_38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2012 at 8:43pm
very interesting post.
Crisis Service
Local 905-666-0483
Toll free 1-800-742-1890
up late View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote up late Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2012 at 11:43pm
It makes sense if altitude and gravity effect the body, pressure would too. For me it's more temprature, I don't like the cold, but pressure does effect me if it's a big enough change like flying or diving where I need to equalise my ears. Does pressure from water help like swimming or even a bath? A bath doesn't sound like a lot of pressure but water does impart a lot of force, I know when I used to swim and dive I had less pain in the water but my body was aching after when I got out, too much pressure was uncomfortable though so I stopped doing deeper dives and stayed above 15-20 metres which I think works out something like about 1 1/2 - 2x the pressure at surface level which feels as squashy as it sounds. I wonder if anyone has done any hyperbaric chamber studies? I know they use it to get better absorbtion of oxygen but I don't know about pressure on it's own.
Please do NOT raise the subject of mental health or therapy in reply to my posts.

Hysterectomy (adenomyosis and fibroids), osetoporosis, spine (disc/bone L4/L5/S1, milder arthritic trouble with C3/4/5/6) radiating pain into my pelvis, hips and legs. Chostochronditis, kidney stones, migraines. Unexplained vertigo, nausea, shaking sweats,orthostatic hypotension, blistering rashes and severe abdominal pain.
livinginchronicpain View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote livinginchronicpain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2012 at 3:31pm
yep me to i always feel it my fibro flares up everytime the weather changes more in the winter i am already feeling it. the temps are droping and we are going to get some snow next week some time i can already for that coming on.
I suffer with chronic pain, I have a disease called Endometriosis , Fybromalgia and UTI'S,kidney stones , mild Scoliosis to. When I lay down my hips and my back hurts   I have trouble with my lift knee

small disc bulge of L5 I think in my lower back and also have mild arthritis in my back to . also have sciatica
cindylou_38 View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cindylou_38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2013 at 5:10am
The cooler weather here is coming, I feel my headaches and neck pain is back. Back to the pain clinic Monday.
Hangingon View Drop Down
Prior Member
Prior Member
I Donated to CPS 2015

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hangingon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2013 at 4:39am
Oh how true this is. Why I sit here at this hour typing. It pouring outside we had heavy wind all day. I actually think this is inherited too my sissy suffers during the type of weather Pal Pete mentions too. That's why I am a lil scared about being in limbo with all this tuff I went thru with that shot going all wrong. The dr. I have now treats me like crap, talks down to me. So tired of drs. saying we can't do anything for you cause of your hepatitis and cirrhosis. So what am I suppose do just sit in severe pain 24/7 till I lose what little sanity I have left. Hurts to sit ,hurts to walk,sometimes even hurts to lie down. Been sick one way or another my whole freakin life. I'm a fighter and hopefully always will be but it gets old and tougher each time. Kinda ironic that I said to my sissy when I was getting the shots and in heaven I hope this dr. never leaves what would I do and what happened she up and left, kinda on a small guilt trip on that. Am i my own worse enemy. I can't even take meds to help my mind, tried lyrica got very sick, also gabopentin got sick.  was told to never even think of trying Cymbalta. Can't take nsaids there deadly for me. Sorry but I need to ramble right now. My mind just won't leave me alone. I already lost my sanity once when they said I had immune hepatitis back in the 80's the dr. had me on 40mg of prednisone over a yr went to 300 pound and my blood pressure got so bad the idiot dr. took me off over night. My daughter went to school and came home and found mommy a basket case. My mom was my savior she took good care of me. When I stopped flipping around like someone doing voodoo all I did was sit in my bed and talk to the tv,i wanted to talk to others but my mind wouldn't let me. My poor daughter sat on the floor next to me crying and my mind wouldn't let me reach out. Finally after 2 months my said I had to see a dr. was the hardest thing I ever did ,everytime I got out of bed I would pass out. try to go out the front door pass out. But that stubborn part took over and I made it to a dr. Oh why do I even bother writing this crap what good does it do. My poor daughter I still feel guilty for her having to see everything her mother went thru ,she was even sitting next to me when I got hit by lightning. Bad enough I went thru it why did she have to ,too. I just don't know ,don't get it anymore all I hear in my mind lately is why ,why, why. Ok rambled enough gonna go for awhile.
Hangingon View Drop Down
Prior Member
Prior Member
I Donated to CPS 2015

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hangingon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2013 at 5:09am
Forgot to mention my mom had masters degree in nursing. She was best dr,nurse mom everything all rolled into one,i miss her dearly.
Bailey View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2013 at 6:10am
Hi Hangingon,

I'm listening. I'm sorry you're struggling so badly right now. It must be very difficult trying to treat cp with the liver problems you have. Please feel free to vent, we all need to at times. We even have a Rants and Gripes Forum for just that.

I hope today is a better day for you. Keep talking, it helps.
DDD C3-C6 with multiple osteophytes causing both moderate foraminal and canal stenosis and flattening and impinging on the spinal cord
Cervical Facet arthritis
Chronic Pain Syndrome
Merlin View Drop Down
Prior Member
Prior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2013 at 6:29am
It must be so tough without your supportive mother - life must be so bleak at times

We all need to vent at times - I think I had one today - it might not look like a vent but it certainly felt like one

No one here will condemn you for releasing your emotions in Rants and Gripes - in fact I like it so much I have my thread there

It sounds as if you have had a horrible time and for a long time - we all understand that
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2013 at 10:02am
Hi Elizabeth,

Rant away.  We are hear to listen and support you.  You are dealing with an awful lot currently.  I am so sorry about your Mom.  You must miss her terribly.  Stevie xx

pete81241 View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2013/14/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pete81241 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2013 at 11:25am
hangingon...i hear you. especially on the stupid steroids. whenever i'm on them for extended period of time the mind goes crazy plus i start seeing things like tropical fish swimming below the ceiling. during my pancreas surgery at the hospital i even got steroid psychosis and i thought the nurses were out to get me. its bad enough when the body goes but terrible when mind starts going a little wacky...
yes we have had bad things in the past. like your screen name try hangingon for something better to come.....pal pete
parkinsons disease.men1 genetic disorder. endocrine tumors in pituitary gland and pancreas. carpel tunnel syndrome. spinal stenosis.sleep apnea.vast knowledge of crutches and wheelchairs.borderline diabetic.gerd. both hips replaced. spinal stimulator. 7 spine surgeries/fusions. pain pump trial.Thrombocytopenia. no spleen.
Todd View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2015/16

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2016 at 7:13am
I see this thread is old but Hangingon, if you are still on site get back to me I have a question
It's a possibility!
Just ask me
Just out of (Dec21) surgery for instrumented L5 lamenectomy/fusion to S1, decompress L234, clean up stenosis in several areas, remove bone spurs, harvest bone for fusion and screw it all together lol
Chronic inflamation of SI joint, stenosis, L5 Spurs, degenerative disc 4,5.1. Several other disk issues, Bi-Lateral Total Hip repl.for idiopathic necrosis, degenerative disc in all cervical joints, fractured C7 (unhealed), Rebuilt lower right tib/fib/coxic/ancle/foot from trauma, Idiopathic systemic/autoimmune issue causing inflammation in various joints and eyes. RA neg HLA B27 neg, Sed rate high and C-Reactive high
Major anxiety and depression / Bi-Polar disorder (maybe,I disagree). When fractured C7 lived in a halo for 6 mos. no fun at all
Todd View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2015/16

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2016 at 7:28am
Stevie, yes I too suffer with barometric pressure changes. Strange but your paste of the explanation is dead on.
It's mostly Gasses in the body specifically joints that expand and contract with these changes. Very sensitive nerves are affected causing me great discomfort.
My family (dad grandpa) were commercial divers. I learned a lot about bodily gas expansion from them. I think we all have heard of the Benz which is rapid expansion of gasses due to rapid decompression. Same thing happens on land when weather fronts move in, just much smaller scale. Those of us with damaged joints etc. feel this change.
As Merlin stated, the wind can also cause these sudden changes. If your in a house or other building, the wind can cause pressure changes in the structure. This is why houses " explode" in tornadoes.

Very interesting topic. I used to wonder why some days were so bad until I figured it out several years ago.
The old folks had something there!!!!
It's a possibility!
Just ask me
Just out of (Dec21) surgery for instrumented L5 lamenectomy/fusion to S1, decompress L234, clean up stenosis in several areas, remove bone spurs, harvest bone for fusion and screw it all together lol
Chronic inflamation of SI joint, stenosis, L5 Spurs, degenerative disc 4,5.1. Several other disk issues, Bi-Lateral Total Hip repl.for idiopathic necrosis, degenerative disc in all cervical joints, fractured C7 (unhealed), Rebuilt lower right tib/fib/coxic/ancle/foot from trauma, Idiopathic systemic/autoimmune issue causing inflammation in various joints and eyes. RA neg HLA B27 neg, Sed rate high and C-Reactive high
Major anxiety and depression / Bi-Polar disorder (maybe,I disagree). When fractured C7 lived in a halo for 6 mos. no fun at all
Hangingon View Drop Down
Prior Member
Prior Member
I Donated to CPS 2015

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hangingon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2016 at 7:32am
I'm still about and will answer your question if I can.
Merlin View Drop Down
Prior Member
Prior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2016 at 6:50pm
Hi again Todd

I look at it this way -

Just think what the moon does to the oceans in the world - it has the power to drag all that water around the planet and cause 4 tide changes a day - how can that now affect out backs (or other body parts that get painful)

But I don't experience pain every six hours - I am interested in astronomy and have never noticed that the moon has had any kind of effect on me - except it is harder to sleep during a full moon

But I would be interested to know if the moon has any effect on anyone else's pain.

And - the sun hurls great masses of radioactive gases at the world - and we are protected from the storms on the face of the sun by the earth's magnetic shield - but those sunspots cause all kinds of effects in the worlds telecommunications and power electrical power sources - so yes - I would assume they affect us too.

So changes in barometric pressure affect us - how can they not - when they have such a dynamic affect on the weather?

Last night I watched a programme on the effects of wifi, smart phones and other electronic media on our bodies - esp the bodies of children - and long term - babies. There are arguments on both sides - and at my age I can say I am not bothered for myself really - but for the coming generations - I am concerned 

So - who can arbitrate on what causes what - but if we have chronic pain and notices the changes in our bodies that increase or decrease the pain - we may be unable to interest a physician in this phenomenon - but we can know it for ourselves - for sure.

And self-knowledge is power
 Post Reply Post Reply