DC's Stories

CP Man Stories

Donate

Fentanyl dosage too high???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Renee View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fentanyl dosage too high???
    Posted: Aug/02/2012 at 9:06pm
Well, I have been on the 50/mcg for approximately three days but I took off patch about two hours ago. I had planned on calling doctor tomorrow morning, now for sure I will. As the day progressed, I have been getting more fatigued and drowsy, can hardly keep my eyes open but I started slurring my words. To tell you the truth it kind of scared me.

Can anyone tell me how long it will take to get back to normal, leg pain and all? I really feel this dosage is way too strong. I'm going to ask doctor for weaker strength tomorrow morning. I am disappointed but hopefully he will let me stay on it with reduced strength.    Has anyone else ever experienced something like this with Fentanyl?

Renee
spinal surgery 7/07 with fusing L3-L5, spinal stenosis, DDD
7mm anterolisthesis of L4 on L5
Lots and lots of nerve pain down legs
Sponsored Links

sara1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sara1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2012 at 9:46pm
Renee I think I mentioned it in your other post that I thought 50 was a high amount for someone who's only been on Hydrocodone. I think 25 should be a good starting point,  there is a Fentanyl conversion chart you can find online. Of course the med will still be working a few hours but will wear off and you can take your Hydrocodone until you see your Dr. Excessive drowsiness all day is not normal at all and glad you took the patch off now and wait to call your Dr. Sara
DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing Neck-reverse Lordosis of c-spine C6-C7 with impingement, numb hand and sore outer elbow. Bursitis to both knees. RN
Renee View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2012 at 10:07pm
Hi Sarah,
Thanks for the quick response. I hope I don't sound ignorant in asking this but what does the conversion chart for fentanyl do? I'm totally in the dark about it.

Renee
sara1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sara1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2012 at 10:37pm
Renee i sent you a PM since I'm not sure we can post certain links without their permission first. Like that is only a guideline and just wondered if your Dr. was a specialty Pain Management Dr? or just a family Dr. as my Family Dr. was very hesitant about starting me on Fentanyl. I had to get a Pain Management Dr. to put me on it. Well take easy I will be heading to rest soon since it's 1130 now. Sara

PS It could be the mix of other meds that are making you sleepy as well so working with your Dr. hopefully you will find the right dose.
DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing Neck-reverse Lordosis of c-spine C6-C7 with impingement, numb hand and sore outer elbow. Bursitis to both knees. RN
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2012 at 8:05pm
Hi Renee,

I have to agree with Sara that the dosage of Fentanyl you were started on seems high for someone who has been on Hydrocodone, which is not terribly strong. 

Are you OK?  Did you get a hold of your Dr today?  Do you have a lower dose patch now?

BTW---it is fine to post links to things such as conversion charts----we don't mind at all as long as sources are credited. 

Hoping you are OK, Renee.  All of this takes time and can be very difficult until it's all sorted out.  Please keep us posted.  Stevie

Please donate to help Chronicpainsite.com continue to help others.

The information and articles provided on our website are designed to support, not replace the relationship between patients and physicians.

Spinal Fusions L5-S1 and L4-L5. Recent changes now with diagnosis of Lumbar Stenosis with neurogenic claudication. To have multi-levl posterior fusion with laminectomy and decompression of L2-3 L3-4 and fusion and revision of L4-5 L5-1 with instrumentation. Cervical DDD, stenosis, spondylosis, spondylolisthesis and facet arthropathy throughout cervical spine from C3-C7. Thoracic Spine: dextroconvex curvature of the thoracic spine, centered at approximately T8.(Scoliosis with 20 degree curve). At T7-8, a disc bulge. Degenerative disc disease T7-T9. Disc dessication from T3-T11.

NATIONAL SUICIDE HELPLINE 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
http://www.crisisclinic.org/
IN THE UK 0845790 90 90
http://www.samaritans.org/
Renee View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2012 at 3:02am
Hi Stevie and Everyone,
I called the doctor and went over to his office and picked up new RX for 25 MCG patches to replace the 50 MCG.
I am going to start them tomorrow (Sunday) .  Other than insomnia tonight, I am really, for the most part, out of pain, but feel the medication from the 50 MCG patch is still in my system.  Thought I'd give it another day for medication level to go down in my system. When this pain starts up again, and I know it most assuredly will, I just hope the 25 MCG handle the pain as well as the 50 MCG did, just don't need the side effects of the 50 MCG.  I'll keep you posted.

Renee  
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2012 at 6:28am
Renee,

Don't wait too long to start the new patch.  You don't want to try to play "catch up".  I just asked you about this in your other thread------"Exhausted with leg pain".  You may want to keep posting about this here, rather than have it in two places?  It's fine to have multiple threads however. 

Please let us know how you are doing over the weekend?  Stevie

The information and articles provided on our website are designed to support, not replace the relationship between patients and physicians.

Spinal Fusions L5-S1 and L4-L5. Recent changes now with diagnosis of Lumbar Stenosis with neurogenic claudication. To have multi-levl posterior fusion with laminectomy and decompression of L2-3 L3-4 and fusion and revision of L4-5 L5-1 with instrumentation. Cervical DDD, stenosis, spondylosis, spondylolisthesis and facet arthropathy throughout cervical spine from C3-C7. Thoracic Spine: dextroconvex curvature of the thoracic spine, centered at approximately T8.(Scoliosis with 20 degree curve). At T7-8, a disc bulge. Degenerative disc disease T7-T9. Disc dessication from T3-T11.

IN THE UK 0845790 90 90
liz brown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liz brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2012 at 4:13pm
Renee i hope this has settled for you. I thought you were on high dose too as i was started on baby step with this medication way at the start it was 12 micros then very gradual was increased taken me 2 yrs to get up to 100micros and not easy to deal with at all so desperate to reduce and start weaning process..My consultant was not available when injections were given it was another consultant and he refused to start it because not his patient..This was such a blow and my own gp can,t because he had to have permission from pain management team to start it..Sleepiness became a problem for me but i stuck with it and after first month supply it started to settle its a hit or miss process with fentanyl..
Big hugs renee i hope the lower doseage does you good and works for you.
liz :)
crushed sciatic nerve left with permanent nerve damage from L5/S1 disc prolapsed twice. Suffer chronic and neuropathic pain radiating down both legs. Use fentanyl patches for pain reacted badly to others tablets eg:- amytriptelene, lyrica,gabapentin, duluxotine. Also suffer depression for over 12 months but eventually in a happier place at moment.
Renee View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2012 at 6:48pm
Hello Liz and everyone,

Well, I think I finally finally have the right combination for my pain problems. The 50mcg Fentanyl seems to be agreeing with me. It eliminates about 90 per cent of my pain. I also take 25 mg. Of Elavil before bedtime. I don't feel any side effects from the fentanyl at the 25 mcg unlike thee 50 mcg.   I have been on the knew dose since Saturday, will chanige patch tomorrow, the third day. I'm sleeping at night and the "electric shock" type of nerve pain that would hit my legs at night seem to be gone. I don't want to get too excited about this because I'm not too used to success with the pain meds the last five years since my back surgery. I'm just praying and hoping it continues to last with the splendid results. I even rode in the car for two hours without any pain. The only pain I feel at times is maybe you could classify as arthritis, my joints might seem achy after I was cleaning house, etc. no big deal though. I haven't even needed to take any Norco for so called break thru pain. It 's only been a few days so far.   I am going to continue feeling positive about it though while I seek out another doctor for opinion on my back.

Renee
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2012 at 7:34pm
This is really wonderful news, Renee.

Seems that the Fentanyl patch is working very well for many of our members.

Keep up the positive thoughts. I'm rooting for you!!

Please keep us posted. Stevie

IN THE UK 0845790 90 90
liz brown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liz brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2012 at 3:04am
Renee this is good news im so pleased for you. Fentanyl is the first medication that helped me in all my six yrs of rollercoaster meds. I had a new lease of life and once correct dose monitored i had this for at least eight months maybe more. This is when you shall get to know your pain better than ever as well as your own body and you shall know when you need to increase.
Funnily enough some pain management doctors don,t agree that fentanyl is a good option for chronic pain and steer clear from prescribing to any patients but it was my little piece of heaven inside a patch.
Its so good when we finally find something that works and since my injections for the first time my eyes are clear and dark circles have minimised and i don,t walk with pain written over my face. Like you im staying positive and always believe positivity achieves goals and negativity increases pain.
Wishing you all the luck and more renee and remember keep the good days exactly that as your not getting the warning pain signal to stop so need to be extra careful.

liz :) x
crushed sciatic nerve left with permanent nerve damage from L5/S1 disc prolapsed twice. Suffer chronic and neuropathic pain radiating down both legs. Use fentanyl patches for pain reacted badly to others tablets eg:- amytriptelene, lyrica,gabapentin, duluxotine. Also suffer depression for over 12 months but eventually in a happier place at moment.
Bailey View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2013/2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2012 at 5:19am
Hi Renee,

Everything is sounding great, wonderful amount of pain relief. Maybe this will be the one for you and you can get a year of more "normal" living. Fingers crossed that the new patch along with your positive attitude keeps you feeling good for a long time to come.

Bailey
DDD C3-C6 with multiple osteophytes causing both moderate foraminal and canal stenosis and flattening and impinging on the spinal cord
Cervical Facet arthritis
Chronic Pain Syndrome
Renee View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2012 at 12:17pm
Stevie, Liz and Bailey,
Thank you for your warm thoughts.  I'm still beside myself in the fact that these patches are working so well!!  I will keep you posted.

Renee
Bailey View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2013/2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2012 at 1:32pm
Hi Renee,

Well, besides the fact that I'm thrilled to hear anyone getting good pain relief, I have a personal interest in Fentanyl. After my initial interview at my pain clinic, my doc prescribed fentany. My insurance wouldn't cover it because I hadn't tried enough other pain relievers. Since then I've tried several varieties so I think I'd be covered now. My pharmacy has been giving me the remaining  oxycontin but they only have 1 months supply left. After that I have to go on the new formulation. If I have any problems with it I will be asking for fentanyl.

Sorry for running on in your thread. I really am thrilled it's working so well for you.

Bailey
DDD C3-C6 with multiple osteophytes causing both moderate foraminal and canal stenosis and flattening and impinging on the spinal cord
Cervical Facet arthritis
Chronic Pain Syndrome
sara1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sara1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2012 at 10:43pm
Great news Renee. I found the patch is wonderful also. I do use an opsite tagadem dressing overtop but somehow it still seems to get itchy at the second day and red after I take the patch off but not all the time. I do find I`m not screaming as much in pain anymore and it`s a wonderful med for controlling pain. I don`t miss taking the pills at all. It`s easier to do things when there`s not so much pain 24 7 and a lifesaver to those who would even think of giving up due to pain a good option. Take care. Sara
Rocken Roni View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocken Roni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2012 at 3:21am
Renee,
I'm glad you found something that works for your pain. It's great that you are sleeping at night also. That is a great help and your electric shocks are gone. I know I seem to be caught off guard when ever I get them. I hope this just keeps getting better and better. Take Care,

Roni

Until one has felt the Love of an animal,
a part of their Soul remains Unawakened.

Unknown

1st injured Feb, 1997. Was told it was "Soft Tissue" and sent back to work - no X-rays
Late 1997 attended 1st Rehab Program to strengthen back. Mid 98 PCP took me off work. Tried going back to work over the next couple years, mostly off work due to pain.
June 2000, met with OS for first time. Did MRI , damage was L5-S1 totally blown out. Surgery done Jan, 2001.
Another Rehab program late 2001, attempted to go back to work early 2002. Slipped on water, fell flat on back screw fusion broke.
Went to 3rd Rehab program summer 2002.
Oct 2003 - 2nd Surgery, due to broken screw, had to operate from the front.
No improvement. Attended 4th Rehab program in 2004, at time It was decided NO work.
March 2006, had 3rd Surgery, this time fusion and instrumentation from Si to L3.
June 2008 Surgeon finally admitted I had Failed Back Surgery.
August 2009 WCB Finally put me on Long Term Disability
Renee View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2012 at 5:25pm
Hello everyone,
Sorry I haven't posted for awhile.  I have to read and catch up.  I am still doing well with the 25 MCG fentanyl patches.  So far so good.   The only thing I notice is, not all the time, is sometimes on the third night of the patch, it seems to be wearing off, but not always.  I'm usually up during the night because of it with the nerve pain in my legs creeping back.  I especially like the fentanyl patch because it does not leave me in la la land, I still feel aches and pains, (arthritis) but not the electrical sensation nerve pain in the legs.  Its just SOOOOOO Wonderful to sleep at night again and not walking the floors all night because of that pain.
I wanted to tell the group about my chocolate lab dog Coco.  She had surgery a few weeks ago - reason I wasn't posting for awhile.  She had to have three benign tumors removed.  I brought her home the same day she had the surgery, and after the pain shot had worn off of her, the poor thing was awake all night in pain - along with me trying to sooth her and just be with her all night until 7:00 a.m. I couldn't get her to take a pain pill, even burying it in  a piece of sausage, her favorite. then she finally nodded off on the rug in the family room.  I took her back to the vet and they applied a Fentanyl 100 MCG Patch to her!!! I was astonished that it was such a strong dosage, but vet assured me about it, dogs metabolisms are not like humans.  She had the patch on for, you guessed it, three days and I took her back to have vet remove it.  She never did need any more pain med.  I still am in awe that they use this for animals, at least dogs they do.
Thats all I wanted to share. 

Renee
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2012 at 6:40pm
Hi Renee and so good to hear from you!!

I have heard this same thing from other members about the patch wearing off too soon.  Just talk to your Dr about this and see if some adjustments can be made.

What a great story about your Lab.  Yes, dogs do need much higher doses of medications than we do as they metabolize drugs so quickly.  I can remember when we our Welsh Springer Spaniel was alive and she had to be medicated to travel in the car.  I couldn't believe the high doses of Valium we had to give her----would have put any of us asleep for days.  But, great that your best friend is doing better now.

I look forward to hearing from you to let us know how you're doing on the Fentanyl, Renee.  Stevie

IN THE UK 0845790 90 90
sara1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sara1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2012 at 11:33pm
Hi Renee, Good to hear the patch is helping. I found also the third day sometimes find the patch wears off and told my Dr. about changing to every 2 days but instead she increased it the patch so won't complain as it's really helping except I get red underneath the patch on the third day but hopefully will get used to that. I'm glad Coco is doing better and interesting to hear they put a pain patch on dogs. When I took my cats in for spaying I paid extra for a pain needle that lasts 48 hours so not sure what that even was?

I like it the patch doesn't cause the sleepiness the other meds seemed to cause and the mood swings but seem to be alright with the patch and find it helps my nerve pain in my leg also. Take care and thanks for a positive update. Sara  
Rocken Roni View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocken Roni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2012 at 2:34am
Renee,
I'm glad you are posting again and am glad you aren't having the electric shocks anymore and the patches are working for you and Coco! You have been taking care of your lab so great. Pets are a great therapy in the way they listen and being so loyal. I believe people live longer with having pets. I only wish they lived longer. I'm glad Coco is feeling better. It would be nice if you posted a photo of her.

Roni

Until one has felt the Love of an animal,
a part of their Soul remains Unawakened.

Unknown

1st injured Feb, 1997. Was told it was "Soft Tissue" and sent back to work - no X-rays
Late 1997 attended 1st Rehab Program to strengthen back. Mid 98 PCP took me off work. Tried going back to work over the next couple years, mostly off work due to pain.
June 2000, met with OS for first time. Did MRI , damage was L5-S1 totally blown out. Surgery done Jan, 2001.
Another Rehab program late 2001, attempted to go back to work early 2002. Slipped on water, fell flat on back screw fusion broke.
Went to 3rd Rehab program summer 2002.
Oct 2003 - 2nd Surgery, due to broken screw, had to operate from the front.
No improvement. Attended 4th Rehab program in 2004, at time It was decided NO work.
March 2006, had 3rd Surgery, this time fusion and instrumentation from Si to L3.
June 2008 Surgeon finally admitted I had Failed Back Surgery.
August 2009 WCB Finally put me on Long Term Disability
 Post Reply Post Reply