Advertise
With Us 
ChronicPainSite.com Foundation, Inc Personal Homepage
Please, if you have not Donated lately we need your help.
Click here to find out how YOU can help
  Advertise
With Us 

FAQ FAQ   Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

To Our FB page      

Login
Register
---------
ChronicPainSite.com Foundation, Inc
RULES
Navigation
Main Page
Forum Home
About Us
Site Information
Our Advisors
Articles Home
Faces of Pain
Recipe Section
No Pain Pain Scale No Pain

FAQ
Member Control Panel
Login
Register
Walking Conversion Chart

DC's Stories

CP Man Stories

Donate

RF Nerve Ablation In November

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nikoma View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RF Nerve Ablation In November
    Posted: Sep/07/2013 at 7:27pm
So they've finally worked it out and if my insurance approves I'll have an RF Nerve Ablation in my low back to help with the arthritis.

I'm hopeful but I'm also really nervous about this.  Has anyone else been through it?  Can you give me some advice?

Please donate to help Chronicpainsite.com continue to help others.
“Therefore, let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.” ― Doreen Valiente --- Diagnosis: Endometriosis. PCOS. Major Depression. Inflamatory Autoimmune Disorder. Undifferentiated Spondyloarthropathy. Fibromyalgia. Dystonia. Reverse Cervical Lordosis. C1 twisted 1.5° to the left. Moderate to Severe Arthritis in L2, L3, L4 & L5, as well as S1, S2 & S3. Muscle and Nerve damage in right leg, permanent left ankle injury.
Rocken Roni View Drop Down
Charter - Member
Charter - Member
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocken Roni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2013 at 2:31am
I haven't been through this but I just
want to wish you luck in the future.

Roni

Until one has felt the Love of an animal,
a part of their Soul remains Unawakened.

Unknown

1st injured Feb, 1997. Was told it was "Soft Tissue" and sent back to work - no X-rays
Late 1997 attended 1st Rehab Program to strengthen back. Mid 98 PCP took me off work. Tried going back to work over the next couple years, mostly off work due to pain.
June 2000, met with OS for first time. Did MRI , damage was L5-S1 totally blown out. Surgery done Jan, 2001.
Another Rehab program late 2001, attempted to go back to work early 2002. Slipped on water, fell flat on back screw fusion broke.
Went to 3rd Rehab program summer 2002.
Oct 2003 - 2nd Surgery, due to broken screw, had to operate from the front.
No improvement. Attended 4th Rehab program in 2004, at time It was decided NO work.
March 2006, had 3rd Surgery, this time fusion and instrumentation from Si to L3.
June 2008 Surgeon finally admitted I had Failed Back Surgery.
August 2009 WCB Finally put me on Long Term Disability
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2013 at 7:42am
Nik,

As with so many things, over the years many members have had this done with different results.  Some helped by this for some time, and others who didn't get much relief.

Here is a short piece written for us by Dr. Barone that you may find helpful:
http://chronicpainsite.com/mb/forum_posts.asp?TID=4867&title=rhizotomy-or-radiofrequency-nerve-ablation  Best wishes to you!!!  Stevie

My journey with chronic pain began over 30 years ago, while as a young nurse working spinal rehab, I injured my back lifting a patient. I am now fused from L2-S1. I have multiple thoracic and cervical issues. I'm a retired RN/PA and I know and understand the frustrations on both ends of the treatment spectrum of dealing with CP. It's been my goal since 2008, when we started this site, to reach out and help as many people in pain as possible. We will continue the fight as long as we can. Please, if you can help us continue to help you and others, donate. Thank you.
pete81241 View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2013/14/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pete81241 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2013 at 8:32am
hi nik....
i had it at the bottom of my neck and it was really effective.  most people go through a test where they inject a painkiller first to see if it helps. if it helps they will give you the ablation....i hope it works....pal pete
parkinsons disease.men1 genetic disorder. endocrine tumors in pituitary gland and pancreas. carpel tunnel syndrome. spinal stenosis.sleep apnea.vast knowledge of crutches and wheelchairs.borderline diabetic.gerd. both hips replaced. spinal stimulator. 7 spine surgeries/fusions. pain pump trial.Thrombocytopenia. no spleen.
Bailey View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2013-2016

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2013 at 9:21am
Hi Nik,

I've had a couple of these procedures done on my neck. I found the first one quite helpful, not as much luck the next time. It's done under fluoroscopy, so they can see things clearly for needle placement.

Like Pete said, I had a medial branch block first to see if the ablation would help. After a positive response they booked the RFA.

I hope it provides loads of relief for you. Keep us up to date and good luck.
DDD C3-C6 with multiple osteophytes causing both moderate foraminal and canal stenosis and flattening and impinging on the spinal cord
Cervical Facet arthritis
Chronic Pain Syndrome
Nikoma View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2013 at 1:53pm
Thanks Stevie!  I'd read something similar online.

Hi Pete!  I've had the testing and it worked pretty well.  So I should get some relief.  I might even be able to hike again.  

Thanks Roni and Bailey!  I'm hoping it works!

“Therefore, let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.” ― Doreen Valiente --- Diagnosis: Endometriosis. PCOS. Major Depression. Inflamatory Autoimmune Disorder. Undifferentiated Spondyloarthropathy. Fibromyalgia. Dystonia. Reverse Cervical Lordosis. C1 twisted 1.5° to the left. Moderate to Severe Arthritis in L2, L3, L4 & L5, as well as S1, S2 & S3. Muscle and Nerve damage in right leg, permanent left ankle injury.
pete81241 View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pete81241 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2013 at 10:22pm
dynomite...Thumbs Up
parkinsons disease.men1 genetic disorder. endocrine tumors in pituitary gland and pancreas. carpel tunnel syndrome. spinal stenosis.sleep apnea.vast knowledge of crutches and wheelchairs.borderline diabetic.gerd. both hips replaced. spinal stimulator. 7 spine surgeries/fusions. pain pump trial.Thrombocytopenia. no spleen.
scoobyrob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoobyrob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2013 at 8:01am
great news, I just got my facet joint block done today on both sides at L5-S1, and am waiting to see if it helps and if so I will be getting this RFA done too.

Best of luck!!!!
lumbar problems: bulging disk L4-L5 and herniated disk L5-S1, ,Facet joint syndrome, and nerve pain.
hand: broke right wrist and right fifth metacarpal twice requiring surgery and metal plate put in.
Nikoma View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2013 at 5:44pm
Thanks Rob!  I'm really excited for it and can't wait for November!  I miss hiking.  The other day my hubby looked at me and said, "I really miss hiking with you."  So I'm really hoping that it will work for me!

Merlin View Drop Down
Prior Member
Prior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2013 at 9:33am
I haven't had that done but I had injections into my lumbar facet joints that worked for a while

I wish you all the best with this - we will support you all the way - the thing is to try whatever is sensible and this is sensible

Lots of support Nik
Nikoma View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2013 at 6:13pm
Thanks Merlin!

missratac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missratac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2013 at 5:13am
Didn't realise I hadn't replied1  I've had it twice.  The first time lasted about 18 months and the one in May is working well.  It's not comfortable, as you have to be able to respond, but it's only painful for a little while.

Good luck.

Ann
Ann

Osteoarthritis - neck, back, hands, previous polymyalgia rheumatica, Type 2 diabetes, dysthymia/depression. I had one lot of steroid injections to lumbar facet joints and two lots of radio=frequency lesioning - which improved things slightly. I had acute right-sided sciatica prior to my first hip replacement, put down to piriformis syndrome. This didn't go away. I had my left hip replaced a year ago. I also have mild essential tremor (which my mother had severely.) I am having a lot of pain in my thumb joints. Recent blood tests shw normal ESR, CRP, negative rheumatoid factor. Recent x-rays of cervical spine show oste-arthritic changes, lumbar spine - some DDD, mild spondylolisthesis. Appears ostepenic. Hips - both THP appear satisfactory and show no signs of loosening. No response to anlgesics - TENS and physiotherapy helpful. (Live in UK, so on NHS)
Nikoma View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2013 at 7:57am
Hi Ann, thanks for responding.  Do you remember what your recovery time was?

pete81241 View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pete81241 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2013 at 9:33am
hi NIK....i too loved hiking....long ago it seems. hope this does the trick.
i had the procedure on my neck. the needle causes discomfort and aching pain but not shooting pain. it took them a good 1.5 hours but i think it was so long because it was a rookie...lol
recovery wasnt bad. just some aching for a few days. i could do what i wanted to do like driving my car......pal pete
Nikoma View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2013 at 12:38pm
Thanks Pete!  I'm a little worried about recovery time since the location is L3 or L4.  The shots left me a bit sore but otherwise were ok but when I've had anything more invasive done on my low back recovery is about a week, most of it spent in bed.  I have no idea what I'm looking at here lol.

pete81241 View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pete81241 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2013 at 2:42pm
nik...the nerves they kill have nothing to do with your strength and balance. you will have some pain but you should be able to move like you do now. the doc is very aware that he should only dumb the facet nerves that arent really important for your being able to move. of course everyones different. hopefully they wont irritate any major nerves when they put the needle into you. i hear your concern as it seems i have trouble whenever they stick things in my lower spine. i wish you luck and will be knocking on wood for you...Wink....pal pete
Nikoma View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2013 at 6:47am
Thanks Pete, I really appreciate your advice and well wishes!

Nikoma View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2013 at 11:12pm
Tomorrow is the surgery!  Wooooo!  And I just noticed that I typo'd in the title of this thread.... "never" instead of "nerve"..... it's close right?

Bailey View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2013 at 11:48pm
Very, lol Thumbs Up

Good luck Nik, I hope you have as good a result with yours as Pete did with his. If you feel up to it when you get home, let us know how it went. Fingers crossed you have a really positive result.

DDD C3-C6 with multiple osteophytes causing both moderate foraminal and canal stenosis and flattening and impinging on the spinal cord
Cervical Facet arthritis
Chronic Pain Syndrome
pete81241 View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pete81241 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2013 at 12:59am
i'm for you feeling better and NEVER being bothered by spinal nerves....pal pete
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2013 at 6:39am
Best wishes, Nik----let us know when you can how it went.

Oh, title of thread is fixedThumbs Up

My journey with chronic pain began over 30 years ago, while as a young nurse working spinal rehab, I injured my back lifting a patient. I am now fused from L2-S1. I have multiple thoracic and cervical issues. I'm a retired RN/PA and I know and understand the frustrations on both ends of the treatment spectrum of dealing with CP. It's been my goal since 2008, when we started this site, to reach out and help as many people in pain as possible. We will continue the fight as long as we can. Please, if you can help us continue to help you and others, donate. Thank you.
Nikoma View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2013 at 10:02pm
Hi guys! I'm reclined on the couch posting from my tablet. Mom and I are watching Dexter. The procedure went really well but oh my goodness was it painful. I've got 2 pain pills on board and I still hurt pretty bad. Pain referring down my legs but the doc told me its normal and should go away after a couple days.

I told my doc that up next was my neck and shoulders and he said he was excited. I told him and the nurses, as I'm still face down on the table with needles sticking out of me, that I'm just an awesome pile of problems. My orthopedist laughed and said, "That's why you're my favorite!" Every procedure he does on me we always joke during. Even when he's causing me a lot of pain. Lol

Bailey View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2013 at 10:17pm
So glad it went well Nic.

Now bring on the relief!
Cervical Facet arthritis
Chronic Pain Syndrome
megsie84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote megsie84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2013 at 2:32am
Hope you get some relief from it xx
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2013 at 6:23am
Everything crossed Nik that this will help you a lot.  Also, that the pain is less today.  Stevie xxx

Rocken Roni View Drop Down
Charter - Member
Charter - Member
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocken Roni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2013 at 12:56pm
Hope you are feeling a bit better now Nic. It's nice you and your Doc can joke around. I have a good relation with my Doc Also. Hope all goes well today.

Roni

Until one has felt the Love of an animal,
a part of their Soul remains Unawakened.

Unknown

1st injured Feb, 1997. Was told it was "Soft Tissue" and sent back to work - no X-rays
Late 1997 attended 1st Rehab Program to strengthen back. Mid 98 PCP took me off work. Tried going back to work over the next couple years, mostly off work due to pain.
June 2000, met with OS for first time. Did MRI , damage was L5-S1 totally blown out. Surgery done Jan, 2001.
Another Rehab program late 2001, attempted to go back to work early 2002. Slipped on water, fell flat on back screw fusion broke.
Went to 3rd Rehab program summer 2002.
Oct 2003 - 2nd Surgery, due to broken screw, had to operate from the front.
No improvement. Attended 4th Rehab program in 2004, at time It was decided NO work.
March 2006, had 3rd Surgery, this time fusion and instrumentation from Si to L3.
June 2008 Surgeon finally admitted I had Failed Back Surgery.
August 2009 WCB Finally put me on Long Term Disability
Nikoma View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2013 at 3:44pm
I'm doing a lot better today. I noticed a difference this morning. Just sitting up in bed was easier. I'm excited. I just can't imagine what it's going to be like when my recovery is over.

Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2013 at 4:03pm
Wonderful news, Nik!!!!  Keep up the great work.  Stevie xx

Bailey View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2013 at 4:43pm
Wonderful Nik,

And it's only day one! Please be careful though Nik, it's so easy to overdo when we get a little pain relief. We've all done it and some of us, me included, do it over and over again. Slow and steady wins the race.

I'm really happy for you Nik.
Cervical Facet arthritis
Chronic Pain Syndrome
Nikoma View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2013 at 1:42pm
I did overdo it yesterday Bailey!  lol I couldn't help myself.  Well I had to take my kitty to the vet, she's doing really bad. So that was important to do and once I got her home I went to the craft store to get some yarn.  I'm spending the day crocheting on the couch.  Get to pick up the kitty today after her ultra sound, she has a neuro consult on Wednesday.  They aren't sure what's wrong with her.  She's twitchy and in a lot of pain.

Bailey View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2013 at 2:55pm
Awww,

I'm so sorry to hear about kitty. I'll be watching to see what the vet says, fingers crossed.

I never learned to crochet, or knit really. I learned how to knit, but not take it off the needles lol.
Cervical Facet arthritis
Chronic Pain Syndrome
Nikoma View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2013 at 5:48pm
So good news!  I was able to touch the floor, while standing and bending at the waist, yesterday!  Woooo!

And we ended up taking our cat to the kitty ER because she got worse.  The ultrasound didn't  show anything relevant.  A neurologist looked at her yesterday and looked over the video we took and says that she thinks Springer has been having focal seizures so she's now on meds for that and she has a followup appointment on wednesday.  We'll know more then I think.  She's been doing a bit better and she's back home now.

Our weekend hasn't been that great.  Despite having the party here at our place, hubby's grandma died yesterday so while we're having some good news, we also have bad.  We'll be driving down to the coast next week for the funeral.

Post Reply Post Reply