ChronicPainSite.com Foundation, Inc Homepage
Advertise
With Us 
 Many Thanks to all that have supported our site. Click here to find out how YOU can help
Click to Show Your Support
Advertise
With Us 

FAQ FAQ   Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
To Our FB page      

Login
Register
---------
ChronicPainSite.com Foundation, Inc
RULES
Navigation
Main Page
Forum Home
About Us
Site Information
Our Advisors
Articles Home
Faces of Pain
Amazon Store
Recipe Section
No Pain Pain Scale No Pain

FAQ
Member Control Panel
Login
Register
Walking Conversion Chart

DC's Stories

CP Man Stories

Donate

constipation injection anyone????

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sara1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sara1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: constipation injection anyone????
    Posted: Sep/15/2013 at 9:30am
I have nausea and no air movement caused by narcotics for pain management. Has anyone tried the new injection for constipation yet? I feel ill but am trying everything before I would make a trip to the ER. Sara
DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing Neck-reverse Lordosis of c-spine C6-C7 with impingement, numb hand and sore outer elbow. Bursitis to both knees. RN
Sponsored Links

Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2013 at 9:59am
Sara,

What is the injection called?  I found this fairly new med for constipation that we have on the site:http://chronicpainsite.com/mb/forum_posts.asp?TID=8304&title=fda-approves-amitiaz-for-opioid-constipation

I know you won't wait too long to get this treated----you understand how important it is to get things moving and cleared up ASAP.  Please let us know how you are doing?  Stevie xx

Please donate to help Chronicpainsite.com continue to help others.

The information and articles provided on our website are designed to support, not replace the relationship between patients and physicians.

Spinal Fusions L5-S1 and L4-L5. Cervical DDD, stenosis, spondylosis, spondylolisthesis and facet arthropathy throughout cervical spine from C3-C7. Thoracic Spine: dextroconvex curvature of the thoracic spine, centered at approximately T8.(Scoliosis with 20 degree curve). At T7-8, a disc bulge. Degenerative disc disease T7-T9. Disc dessication from T3-T11.

NATIONAL SUICIDE HELPLINE 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
http://www.crisisclinic.org/
IN THE UK 0845790 90 90
http://www.samaritans.org/
For help for many things...
Canada: http://www.211Canada.ca/
scoobyrob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoobyrob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2013 at 10:35am
I have suffered chronic constipation all my life, Its worse now I'm on opiate treatment and just last month I'd gone14 days without going to the toilet,and eating dinners daily. needless to say I was getting worried at that stage, but a week without going would be normal for me. I got these little pearl things called ducolax, you can get it in liquid form too. I used that to clear my blockage, but be aware I used to get cramps from taking that medication as it started to work, they were painfull. I never got cramps from the constipation tho which was weird but the Ducolax can give you cramp pains as it works.

sorry if I'm not much help.
lumbar problems: bulging disk L4-L5 and herniated disk L5-S1, ,Facet joint syndrome, and nerve pain.
hand: broke right wrist and right fifth metacarpal twice requiring surgery and metal plate put in.
Bailey View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2013/2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2013 at 11:28am
Hi Sara,

So nice to hear from you, though not for this reason. I did read about that med being approved, I think they said it was the first one approved for use with  patients who use opiates. Other than that, I haven't heard anything about it.

I've been to the dr's before for the same problem and was terrified I was going to need an enema at the hospital. I use both senekot and docusate twice a day, every day. I won't go more than two days without a bm before taking further measures. I always have a fleet enema under the sink just in case. It's a real fear of mine, I've heard of people dying because of impaction that wasn't addressed.

Rob! Fourteen Days! You could rupture your intestine. If you need to take opiates on a daily basis, as I do, it's very important to be on a bowel regimen. Do you use on kind of laxative on a daily basis? This is sooooo important.

Sorry Sara, since I had to start using these horrible freakin meds, this is one of my biggest concerns. I hate having to take a drug, because I'm taking another drug. But in this case I'd rather take the extra meds than risk the damage that can come with serious constipation.

Rant over.
DDD C3-C6 with multiple osteophytes causing both moderate foraminal and canal stenosis and flattening and impinging on the spinal cord
Cervical Facet arthritis
Chronic Pain Syndrome
sara1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sara1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2013 at 2:17pm
Ok thanks, I agree wow 14 days yikes! A little better after colace and Milk of Mag and even Pepto bismo and ginger ale and a fleet. Nothing to be ashamed about, it's a serious issue. 

Hopefully will ward off the Relafor injections since I'm feeling a little better. Thanks.
DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing Neck-reverse Lordosis of c-spine C6-C7 with impingement, numb hand and sore outer elbow. Bursitis to both knees. RN
scoobyrob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoobyrob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2013 at 4:09pm
wow I did not know it was that serious, I read online it was impossible to die from it.... I better keep a better eye on it from now on so! but ya, It would not be abnormal of me to go a week or so without going, I never ever get any pain from it tho so thats why I dont pay much attention to it.
lumbar problems: bulging disk L4-L5 and herniated disk L5-S1, ,Facet joint syndrome, and nerve pain.
hand: broke right wrist and right fifth metacarpal twice requiring surgery and metal plate put in.
Bailey View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2013/2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2013 at 5:40pm
Rob,

I guess it's good that this doesn't cause you pain, but it can be so serious. People have died from bowel perforations caused from impacted bowels. If it goes on too long you could need to be manually disimpacted, not a pleasant thought, or experience I imagine.

My prescription for opiate pain meds, includes warnings from my doc along with instructions to use laxatives when taking them.

Personally, I think a week is far too long. Maybe you might mention this to your doctor.

Sorry again Sara for hijacking your thread. I should have searched for the thread I know we have somewhere about this topic. I will find it.
DDD C3-C6 with multiple osteophytes causing both moderate foraminal and canal stenosis and flattening and impinging on the spinal cord
Cervical Facet arthritis
Chronic Pain Syndrome
Merlin View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2013 at 8:34pm
I felt really squeamish about reading this - but I am glad I did cause I do have something to add

I went onto a trial taking a drug called Targin which is oxycontin with a laxative in it - you can look it up on the internet -

My experience is going to make like easier for a few other people like myself. I eat so much raw food and nuts I rarely have a problem - and also I had major bowel surgery after my appendix ruptured - one reason I eat so much roughage - and I didn't think a whole lot about it - if I get a pain in the rum-tum-tum-a-tum I know to eat some oranges - and I got so embarrassed answered all those intrusive questions - ah well - enough of that

But here's the thing - if you are taking a high dose of oxycontin you probably don't need to take such a high dose of laxative and if you have had bowel surgery - then you are not a good candidate for a trial and it is more important to keep everything moving

Sheesh I was sick when I started that trial - I stopped and felt as if I was at death's door - so talk to your doctor about Targin - since I was in the trial they do not give people taking a high dose of oxycontin a matching dose of laxative - one reason I am glad I was in the trial - I stood up about it

Okay - it is no fun being pro-social and standing up for every one else - but I am glad I did
Merlin
Severe Inoperable Lumbar Spinal Problems - both shoulders damaged
Important contacts
In Australia - Telephone Crisis Line - Life Line 131114
World Wide
For bereaved parents - The Compassionate Friends.
Tough Love Support - Families Anonymous - type their name into your browser and you will find chapters near you
 Post Reply Post Reply