Advertise
With Us 
ChronicPainSite.com Foundation, Inc Personal Homepage
Please, if you have not Donated lately we need your help.
Click here to find out how YOU can help
  Advertise
With Us 

FAQ FAQ   Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

To Our FB page      

Login
Register
---------
ChronicPainSite.com Foundation, Inc
RULES
Navigation
Main Page
Forum Home
About Us
Site Information
Our Advisors
Articles Home
Faces of Pain
Recipe Section
No Pain Pain Scale No Pain

FAQ
Member Control Panel
Login
Register
Walking Conversion Chart

DC's Stories

CP Man Stories

Donate

Lloyd Release Procedure

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Hangingon View Drop Down
Prior Member
Prior Member
I Donated to CPS 2015

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hangingon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2014 at 7:14am
I am so happy for you. Just take your time like alot of others said.

Elizabeth
Rocken Roni View Drop Down
Charter - Member
Charter - Member
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocken Roni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2014 at 7:42am
Kate,
I hope your day stays good for you. You have been through so much. You sure are coming along with your stretches and working on the equipment. Keep up the good work!

Please donate to help Chronicpainsite.com continue to help others.

Until one has felt the Love of an animal,
a part of their Soul remains Unawakened.

Unknown

1st injured Feb, 1997. Was told it was "Soft Tissue" and sent back to work - no X-rays
Late 1997 attended 1st Rehab Program to strengthen back. Mid 98 PCP took me off work. Tried going back to work over the next couple years, mostly off work due to pain.
June 2000, met with OS for first time. Did MRI , damage was L5-S1 totally blown out. Surgery done Jan, 2001.
Another Rehab program late 2001, attempted to go back to work early 2002. Slipped on water, fell flat on back screw fusion broke.
Went to 3rd Rehab program summer 2002.
Oct 2003 - 2nd Surgery, due to broken screw, had to operate from the front.
No improvement. Attended 4th Rehab program in 2004, at time It was decided NO work.
March 2006, had 3rd Surgery, this time fusion and instrumentation from Si to L3.
June 2008 Surgeon finally admitted I had Failed Back Surgery.
August 2009 WCB Finally put me on Long Term Disability
Bailey View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2013-2016

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2014 at 7:57am
Today is a Good Day!!

Wow, love to hear that from you Kate, soo very happy for you.

Keep up the great work!
DDD C3-C6 with multiple osteophytes causing both moderate foraminal and canal stenosis and flattening and impinging on the spinal cord
Cervical Facet arthritis
Chronic Pain Syndrome
pete81241 View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support
I Donated to CPS 2013/14/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pete81241 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2014 at 9:43am
sounds like great gym...those muscles will be returning...pal pete
parkinsons disease.men1 genetic disorder. endocrine tumors in pituitary gland and pancreas. carpel tunnel syndrome. spinal stenosis.sleep apnea.vast knowledge of crutches and wheelchairs.borderline diabetic.gerd. both hips replaced. spinal stimulator. 7 spine surgeries/fusions. pain pump trial.Thrombocytopenia. no spleen.
Bailey View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2014 at 12:12pm
Hi Kate,

Wondering how your weekend is going? Did you take your friend out for dinner? I hope you had just this side of too much fun, or even a little on the other side. Just so long as you weren't up dancing and hurt yourself. Now if you were up dancing on your crutches and just had fun breaking hearts, with no damage to yourself, awesome.

DDD C3-C6 with multiple osteophytes causing both moderate foraminal and canal stenosis and flattening and impinging on the spinal cord
Cervical Facet arthritis
Chronic Pain Syndrome
Kate03 View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kate03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2014 at 2:04pm
Hey Bailey,

No unfortunately, I mixed up the dates, she's not coming til next weekend :( I must admit I was slightly disappointed because I only realised my mistake when I texted her to check when she was arriving on friday. Gah.

However my weekend hasn't been bad. I had my dressings removed and the surgery operation sites are healing well, I've also been back to the gym this morning which was good and each day the pain is reducing while the flexibilty is improving.

xxxxxx
24 years old
Diagnoses;
Symphysis Pubis degenerative change and dysfunction - Oct 2015
Osteitis Pubis since Oct 2012
Ligament dysfunction Dec 2013

Treatment;
Pubic Fusion Surgery - October 2016
Prolotherapy March 2015 - August 2015
Lloyd Release Procedure Jan 2014
Pamidronate infusions Sep 2013-Jan 2014
Cortisone injections Aug-Dec 2013
Bailey View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2014 at 2:10pm
Lol, well Kate, I'm sorry to tell you the memory thing gets worse with age. But you will have fun next weekend I'm sure.

Great news on the decreasing pain and increasing mobility. GREAT, GREAT, GREAT news.

Big pats on the back and major hugs, it's all because of you!
Cervical Facet arthritis
Chronic Pain Syndrome
Kris View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2014 at 6:09pm
Great news :-)
Severe kyphoscoliosis, vertebrae fracture, spinal degeneration and reduced bone density throughout my body, doctor suspects fibromyalgia, unexplained spontaneous muscle strains/tear, poor alignment of my femur to tibia - 3 surgery attempts to fix - still frequent subluxation and periodic dislocation of knee along with cysts and an inoperable meniscus tear in that knee. Knee osteoarthritis - hip osteoarthritis suspected to be caused by my missing half of a vertebrae and other congenital abnormalities affecting my gait. (Other little misc. problems, but I think that hits the summary)
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2014 at 6:25pm
Keep up the great work, Kate.  You ARE going to get there.  No doubt in my mind.  Determination wins and you have it in spades.  Hugs to you, Stevie. 

Oh, and yes, we ALL fall back from time to time.  So don't let those bad days that creep in ever discourage you.  Rest, take a day off, and then up and at it.  Hug

My journey with chronic pain began over 30 years ago, while as a young nurse working spinal rehab, I injured my back lifting a patient. I am now fused from L2-S1. I have multiple thoracic and cervical issues. I'm a retired RN/PA and I know and understand the frustrations on both ends of the treatment spectrum of dealing with CP. It's been my goal since 2008, when we started this site, to reach out and help as many people in pain as possible. We will continue the fight as long as we can. Please, if you can help us continue to help you and others, donate. Thank you.
pete81241 View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pete81241 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2014 at 7:45pm
youre doing well and even better days ahead....Thumbs Up
parkinsons disease.men1 genetic disorder. endocrine tumors in pituitary gland and pancreas. carpel tunnel syndrome. spinal stenosis.sleep apnea.vast knowledge of crutches and wheelchairs.borderline diabetic.gerd. both hips replaced. spinal stimulator. 7 spine surgeries/fusions. pain pump trial.Thrombocytopenia. no spleen.
Tas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2014 at 7:51pm
Well done Kate,

Just a few minutes ago I was watching the tennis and there was a great quote now being promoted from Lew Hoad, "A great support team makes anything achievable." how very true and you are proving that.

Ken

L1/2 Mild bilateral facet astropathy. L2/3 same as L1/2. L3/4 ditto. L4/5 Disc bulge indenting anterior thecal sac. Bilateral facet astropathy. Mild canal and left foraminal stenosis. L5/S1 Severe disc narrowing with extensive osteophytes. Broad based disc osteophyte protusion indenting anterior thecal sac and resulting in a right foraminal stenosis. Exiting L5 nerves intact. Osteophytic contact with descending right S1 nerve root. Conclusion_ Severe degenerative disc changes L5/S1 with disc-osteophyte protusion. Moderate disc bulge L4/L5 Moderate central spinal stenosis with obileration of the epidural fat and distortion of the thecal sac. L5/1 Decreased disc height and signal. Super Ventricular Tachacardia. (SVT) Type 2 Diabetes, Arthritis knees and hips.
Kate03 View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kate03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2014 at 7:53am
Thanks everyone :) I hope you all know, that if it wasn't for this website I would have a much greater challenge to combat my depression, you've all given so much support and always picked me up during my low stints. I have so much love for you all Warm-Fuzzy

I am feeling better again today, but the fatigue is making me grumpy, so I have to keep stopping in my tracks and reminding myself that I'm in a much better situation than I was and than a lot of you are in. Unfortunately anyone who knows my family (both sides) will know that we don't fare well when we're tired :P hahaha!

I am still getting pain from the joint so I'm quite glad that I'm not allowed to do any impact sports or resistance work - I know it's slower but I'm happier taking the tortoise's route than aggravating a very painful condition when there's nothing they can do for me treatment wise for another 3-4 weeks. 

Today my mum and I are going to visit our good friend and neighbour who has been battling cancer, she had a tumor inside her hip joint which wrapped around the whole joint so she had a massive operation which removed part of her pelvis, her hip and part of her femur and replaced them with a titanium and ceramic version. She had her last chemotherapy session two weeks ago and she had her first hydrotherapy session on Thursday, a nerve wracking time for her waiting to find out if the cancer has metastasized or not but she's so determined and positive.  We're all hopeful that she's beaten it - she's only 48!
24 years old
Diagnoses;

Treatment;
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2014 at 11:26am
Slow as you go honey until you are well healed from the surgery.  You are making good progress.

How horrible for that very young woman to have had such cancer and traumatic surgery.   I hope that she is doing OK, and if she ever needs a place to come and talk let her know about us, OK?  Hugs, Stevie

My journey with chronic pain began over 30 years ago, while as a young nurse working spinal rehab, I injured my back lifting a patient. I am now fused from L2-S1. I have multiple thoracic and cervical issues. I'm a retired RN/PA and I know and understand the frustrations on both ends of the treatment spectrum of dealing with CP. It's been my goal since 2008, when we started this site, to reach out and help as many people in pain as possible. We will continue the fight as long as we can. Please, if you can help us continue to help you and others, donate. Thank you.
Merlin View Drop Down
Prior Member
Prior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2014 at 3:31pm
Ah Kate - some of it have such a hard time taking it easy - a few added years and a few added Kg make is slightly more easy

But recovery is harder and more painful than the condition itself - and the body healing itself is downright not into making your life easier

That cancer is so much for one so young - there was a time when I did not think of 48 so young - but it is actually - that is an horrific surgery and then chemo as well

Sometimes things seem rock hard - so much seems so unfair

pete81241 View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pete81241 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2014 at 5:40pm

kate its a two way street...we all love you too. whether its your obvious beauty or your inner strength and sensitivity you seem to breath some life into us too.....pal pete
Bailey View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2014 at 8:59am
Hi Kate,

How's the rehab going? Did your friend come down last weekend? Just wondering how you're doing, we all care a lot and have watched you fight so hard, we'd love to share some of your recovery if you get a few minutes.

Good news stories are often the minority here, we love to hear them.   
Cervical Facet arthritis
Chronic Pain Syndrome
Charter - Member
Charter - Member
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocken Roni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2014 at 4:48pm
Yea Kate,
Just wondering how your doing also!!
We have missed you!

Unknown

1st injured Feb, 1997. Was told it was "Soft Tissue" and sent back to work - no X-rays
Late 1997 attended 1st Rehab Program to strengthen back. Mid 98 PCP took me off work. Tried going back to work over the next couple years, mostly off work due to pain.
June 2000, met with OS for first time. Did MRI , damage was L5-S1 totally blown out. Surgery done Jan, 2001.
Another Rehab program late 2001, attempted to go back to work early 2002. Slipped on water, fell flat on back screw fusion broke.
No improvement. Attended 4th Rehab program in 2004, at time It was decided NO work.
March 2006, had 3rd Surgery, this time fusion and instrumentation from Si to L3.
Kate03 View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kate03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2014 at 6:42pm
Heeeey guys, sorry I've not written, the last week has been a blur! 

My friend did come over the weekend and it was so lovely to see her! I gave her one hell of a shock though, she thought that since the operation was only a couple of weeks ago that I would still be on crutches and still pretty stiff so when I met her at the door unaided and without any hitching/limping her eyes almost popped out of their sockets! She was of course delighted, but realised that she is going to have to get used to being much smaller than me again :P She's only 5'5'' and I'm 5'9-10. 

So yes, my phsyios and hydrotherapist are both very impressed with my recovery. I'm going to the gym 2-3 times a week, never on consecutive days because I need to let my muscles and ligaments rest properly. This week I started using the upright crosstrainer - first time in 15 months! Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :)) all 3 minutes of it were awesome! Finally felt like real exercise - the reclining bicycle feels more like movement and my heart rate doesn't increase so I don't feel like I'm exercising. 

I have a couple of problems with fatigue, partly contributed by the length of time I was wheelchair bound but also turns out I was coming off some of my medicines too quickly for my body to be able to cope. So that has been sorted thankfully - by a stricken nurse who was unamused that my surgeon had recommended I try coming off the medicines I've been on for a year over only 2 weeks.

I'm also having to steer clear from too much impact exercise. The joint is still very tender, tried a fast walk semi jog on the tread mill and it immediately flared so I'm now keeping my distance. I also still can't have trauma or pressure on the joint - tried wearing my jeans again and whilst they still fit (phew) and are slightly too big, the zip and button press onto the joint all the time and it becomes very painful. So I think it looks like I might be needing another injection :( but hopefully it'll settle after that!

But for me, I'm riding the high! It's so wonderful to walk again, even though not completely pain free it is just bliss. 

Lots of love to everyone, I've been thinking of you all, 

from a very happy kate xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
24 years old
Diagnoses;

Treatment;
Charter - Member
Charter - Member
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocken Roni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2014 at 7:19pm
Way to go Kate!!!!!
Thanks for up dating us! You sound so happy. you will have to take things easy so you don't get any more flare ups. I didn't realize how tall you are. That's a nice height. It's great that your friend is with you. How wonderful it is for you to be able to walk again unaided!!
Well Kate, it was nice to read your update. Glad to hear from you again. Keep us updated
  Hug

Unknown

Bailey View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2014 at 7:54pm
YEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH    Kate!

You are something special Kate. Three weeks after surgery and up walking around. You Rock!

I'm so proud of you, you've worked so hard and it's all coming together finally. Still healing and work to do, but it sure seems like you've got the finish line in sight.

I'm very glad the sudden decrease in meds didn't cause a serious reaction Kate. We hear quite often that stopping Tramadol can cause real problems if not done carefully. Thank goodness for NPs.

Oh Kate, I'm so happy for you. The world awaits. Try not to forget us and let us know what your latest adventure is, once in awhile.

Loads of love and hugs.
Cervical Facet arthritis
Chronic Pain Syndrome
Hangingon View Drop Down
Prior Member
Prior Member
I Donated to CPS 2015

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hangingon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2014 at 9:32pm
yay so happy ,I said one day I would read no longer living in a wheelchair. I am sooooo happy for you
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2014 at 6:18am
Way to go, Kate!!!! I am, along with everyone else thrilled for you. Keep up the good work

pete81241 View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pete81241 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2014 at 2:21pm
youve done it and can cruise into overdrive now. of course youre not going to need us that much now but maybe you can give us a pat on the back now and then....pal pete
Kate03 View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kate03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2014 at 5:46pm
I will always make time to come back to see how everyone is doing Pete :) you guys are amazing people and I'll never forget what you've all done for me.

I have some not so good news, my joint is starting to become very painful again. It's been getting worse over the last week, starts off as a throbbing, moving to an ache and then I just can't get comfortable. The joint also was out of alignment the other day and I had to manipulate it back into place. Trying not to lose hope, but I must admit I'm feeling like my bubble is about to burst and that I'm holding back a tidal wave. Before this week, I had pain but it was only from overdoing walking or trying running and it would be painful for the rest of that day and the following day it would calm down and I'd not have any problems again. 

As a result I've been on edge this week, I've been snapping at my mother and have backed off from the exercise regime, still doing the stretches but reducing everything else. I'm seeing one of my consultants this week on Thursday - follow up from the op - and think all he'll say is that I need to go back to my former surgeon for another injection. But I'm just feeling a bit low - nervous that my recovery is coming to a stop and while I may not go backwards to being in a wheelchair, I might not continue to improve. 

Gah. Two steps forward.. one step back.. typical.
24 years old
Diagnoses;

Treatment;
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2014 at 6:06pm
Kate---

I "think" that you will be told that you are doing too much honey.  And to back off a bit. 

The fact that things have been much better is such a good sign.  Something went well and it worked.  And so, maybe it's a matter of doing too much too soon?

Don't give up hope and remain optimistic.  I'm sure your Mum understands your frustration.

BTW---thank you for posting that piece about chronic pain.  I will look at it first chance I get.  We love having members contribute anytime they find something that we should all look at and benefit from.  Hugs to you, Stevie

pete81241 View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pete81241 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2014 at 6:10pm
kate...the good thing is you have made progress and you have the best surgeon. you stated once you are impatient. we only get one mom so give her a big hug....pal peteSmile
Bailey View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2014 at 10:07am
Hello Dear Kate,

I'm sure you're frightened Kate, but your recovery may be slowed a little, but you're still going forward in a big way. I was very concerned about the pace of your rehab, still am hon.

You have gone from wheelchair and bed bound for a long time, to, did you really say "trying to run"? in a month. Pushing it to soreness or pain almost everyday, eventually you don't recover overnight Kate.

When the world specialist fixed the ligaments, he found a lot more injury than expected. And fixed everything, but please, please Kate, not so fast. Your body is young and remarkably able to heal itself, it just needs the time.

Lots of hugs Kate, don't you lose hope, you hear me? You have made the most astounding progress, give yourself a pat on the back and be kind to yourself.

Cervical Facet arthritis
Chronic Pain Syndrome
Kate03 View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kate03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2014 at 6:07pm
Hey all, thanks for your messages. Firstly, I've appologised to my mum and made her a cake - a Sachertorte, the chocoholics kryptonite! So she's not mad at me, and she does understand. My mind is still overwhelmed by the various changes I've gone through over the last year, I think that I'm only just starting to appreciate exactly what I went through and how much better I dealt with it than I would ever have imagined myself being capable of.

Today has been a bad day, pain has been relentless and I've been exhausted by it, had almost forgotten what it was like. Had my hydrotherapy this afternoon and I spoke to the physio about it who has just recommended that I stop the crosstraining and cut down the walking until I've seen my surgeon. So I'm not a happy bunny today.

Ah well! Xxx
24 years old
Diagnoses;

Treatment;
Bailey View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2014 at 6:52pm
Hi Kate,

I'm glad you baked your Mom a cake, but I have no doubt she had already forgiven you. I'd forgive a lot for chocolate kryptonite,

I'm glad you're going to slow down Kate, your body is talking to you, listen to it my dear. You have gone through sooooo much this past year+, your entire world was thrown into complete disarray. And you've endured more pain than anyone would have to, certainly not such a lovely, young person.

I know how impatient you are to get back to your old life, but please, please take it slowly. Your body has to heal and if you're hurting that badly, it's not healing right now. Yes stop the crosstraining. Gentle, gentle for a couple days.

You are amazing Dear Kate and you will accomplish everything you're dreaming of. But you need to recover first, ok?

Loads of hugs and love.
Cervical Facet arthritis
Chronic Pain Syndrome
Kate03 View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kate03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2014 at 7:21am
My biggest fault - impatience! 

I saw my surgeon on Thursday for a follow up appointment - he was so sweet, he was almost in tears when he saw I was walking and was really choked up. It was really touching that it meant so much to him especially since it means so much to me, at the end of the day he has given me back my life and nothing I can do will ever be able to repay that. 

We did then have a frank conversation - firstly I am different from the athletes he normally operates on. They are all able to return to their sports because they don't have damage to their joint and definitely don't have osteitis pubis. However I should avoid high impact sports which include twisting/turning in my legs and pelvis - sports like hockey (my sport), netball, football, rugby, etc. It will also take me a long time to get back to any impact exercise - jogging, running - and the impact might continue to cause pain in the joint.

As for the pain I'm experiencing at the moment, he's referred me back to my old surgeon for another injection. He hopes the injection will take the pain away to allow me to do some of the exercises I find very painful - but which will help strengthen the muscles and ligaments around my pelvis and stabilise the joint. However we'll have to see.

So pretty good, and although it was hard to hear I wouldn't be able to return to most sports - it's just that childish reaction which happens when you're told not to do something making you want to do it more. I've been told that I can do some sports later though - like kayaking, canoeing etc.

As for the pain at the moment - I've stopped crosstraining but I'm still in pain, so we'll see what my other surgeon says this Thursday. 

Thanks for listening. xxxxxxxxxxxxx

24 years old
Diagnoses;

Treatment;
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2014 at 7:31am
Kate,

Your reaction to being told you can't return to something you loved is completely normal.  There isn't anyone here who can't understand that.

I can only say something that I have found to be true----when one door closes, another opens.  It will for you also.

I am so very happy that you are making such wonderful progress and it's OK to be impatient-----it's that grit and determination that have gotten you as far as you have, along with a couple of great surgeons fighting for you.  Hugs!!!  Stevie

pete81241 View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pete81241 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2014 at 10:43am
there once was a woman named kate
who didnt exactly like her fate
stuck in pain and feeling lame 
she couldnt return to her game...
but stop her efforts not a chance
she continued to work and began a dance
she didnt know where it would end
but soon it improved and and she began to bend
one step at a time is the name of the game
who knows, might return to former fame...Thumbs Up
Bailey View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2014 at 1:50pm
Hello Lovely Kate

What a wonderful reaction from your surgeon, there are great ones out there and thankfully you have one of them. See, you even amazed the guy who fixed things.

I totally understand how much it hurts to be told you can't do the things you want to, or used to. But I do think you'll be back to sport, maybe a different variety, but more than enough competition to satisfy that competitive urge.

I hope some rest and the injection on Thurs, will help you with the physio. You are rocketing forward Kate, I know it probably doesn't seem that way to you, but you've seen the reactions from your physio and surgeon. You are performing miracles my dear.

So as hard as it is, keep up the great work, but not too fast. It will all be worth it in the end.

Cervical Facet arthritis
Chronic Pain Syndrome
Kate03 View Drop Down
I Donated to CPS 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kate03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2014 at 5:37pm
Thanks Stevie, Pete, Bailey :) awesome poem pete, I love it! 

I saw my other surgeon today. It was a bit of a tester day for me as well, we went into London by train (which I haven't done since having the panic attack and being very sick last summer) and then crossed London on the tube, walking to the hospital at the end. I wanted to do it to see at what stage I'm at with fatigue and level of exertion if that makes sense. It did not go off as planned - was very sick on the train lost my breakfast, fairly amusingly the ticket officer was knocking on the bathroom door saying "hello in there, are you alright? Do you need anything?". I'm not sure why I was so sick, thinking it could be some kind of memory association from the last time I was on the train? What do you think? Anyway after this I was ok, the journey to the hospital thankfully isn't too complicated involving 3 trains (1 overground, then one change on the tube) but I was pretty tired by getting to the hospital and I slept the whole way home and then for a couple of hours once at home. So I'm definitely not ready to move back to London properly.. but at least I know I can do the journey.

The appointment itself was interesting. He was delighted to see me walking and after updating him he wanted to examine the operation site and entrances. He was putting pressure on various parts of the joint and soft tissue around the joint, he thinks the bone is still 'very angry' (lol I have angry bones!! haha) but so is the soft tissue surrounding the joint. As a result he won't do an injection until the soft tissue is no longer agitated, unfortunately he thinks this will take another 3 months to settle explaining that due to the length of time I've had the problems the post operation trauma will take a lot longer to resolve itself. This is why having two conditions in the same locality is such a problem. He feels that if he tries to give an injection, although it will help the joint it could aggravate the soft tissue further and cause scar tissue which he doesn't want to do.

He's said the pain which has been getting worse is because the joint is still inflamed and the exercise is aggravating it. Until I can have the injection I have to do another balancing act - doing enough exercise to keep the hip-groin area loose and ensure the ligaments stay loose, but not doing so much to make the pain in the joint worse.

So I feel like I'm in a stalemate. I must say I'm a little disappointed and a little anxious. I am nervous about leaving the joint pain alone for the next three months.. I wanted the pain to be gone so I can get back to full time study and move back to London with fewer nerves about my condition possibly flaring from walking/exercise. I do feel I've been pushed backwards a little...this was the back step I was worried about. 

Gah. Nothing is simple.

24 years old
Diagnoses;

Treatment;
Bailey View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2014 at 5:47pm
Aww Kate,

I hear your disappointment love.    It's totally understandable and this slow down really sucks. But I was so surprised how quickly they were moving Kate. I was astounded at how quickly you were up and walking and even cross training! I was very worried you may cause damage that soon after your surgery. Which was a lot more involved than he thought it would be.

Sigh, it must be very frustrating to keep trying to plan your future, when your body has been such a trial. Please, please don't get too down Kate. You are a miracle, every one who sees you up and walking, is amazed. I know it's taking so much longer than you wanted, but you are getting there. Truly you are.

Lots of hugs.

Cervical Facet arthritis
Chronic Pain Syndrome
pete81241 View Drop Down
CPS Support
CPS Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pete81241 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2014 at 6:22pm
kate i have faith this will all improve and if you find that happy medium between too much and too little exercise let me know as for me its usually too much....pal pete
Stevie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I Donated to CPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2014 at 8:48pm
Hi Kate,
I also believe that what you really need right now honey is time.

I know it's difficult, and it's frustrating and I'm sure anxiety played a huge role in you being sick today.

You know we all care and we are here for you and we are listening. Big hugs to you Kate
Stevie

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12